Denis Law or Kenny Dalglish

Never saw either in the flesh, apart from when Dalglish was back as manager of his beloved Celtic, but it would be Law for me.

He was a pioneer in football, being one of the first Brits to play abroad.

Definitely a more natural goalscorer.

Trying my best to be rational and ignore my intense dislike for the ex Celtic captain and manager.

Never saw Law in his prime but he won European Footballer of the Year at a time there was the likes of Eusebio and Charlton, and he scored his goals for club and country far quicker. He was genuinely thought of as the best in his position at the time.

Good judges like Sir Alex insist he was better. So a vote for Law.

And Dalglish is a turncoat so f*** him :))

The thought of an ex Celtic captain and manager possibly winning a poll on FF isn't a chance worth taking.

:D

You're probably right there mate.

Trying to be objective, he was a fantastic footballer at Liverpool and is meant to be pretty pally with King, is he not? I'm sure they were sitting together at Anfield just before we announced the gaffer.

I'm with the Lawman.
He was quicker and more deadly in the box. He was better in the air than Dalglish.

Two truly great players and both would be a shoe-in for an all time Scotland XI.

:D

You're probably right there mate.

Trying to be objective, he was a fantastic footballer at Liverpool and is meant to be pretty pally with King, is he not? I'm sure they were sitting together at Anfield just before we announced the gaffer.

They may well be mate, but nothing will change my view on him.

Personally I quite like the stats @dh1963 produced in post #9.

I would vote for Law, but once again different types of player. Dennis the Menace could take care of himself too.

I’m too young to remember Denis Law playing but Dalglish was sensational for Liverpool.

Difficult to judge as I only saw Law in the later days of his career.
Topical though - Law once scored 6 goals for Man City in a cup tie and the match was abandoned late on. The result didn't stand and the goals didn't count and City went on to lose the re-arranged fixture against a lower league club (think he might have scored in that game too).
I remember Dalgleish getting a fair amount of criticism in his early days at Liverpool for not producing his Liverpool form in a Scotland jersey whereas Law's record for Scotland was 30 in 55.
Law was a goal scoring machine and, as others have said, Dalgleish a jump the dyke - so DL for me.

Never saw either play live, I met Denis law years ago when I was about 15, I’m sure it was around about World Cup 98, got his autograph and a photo with him. I was in awe, this was a proper footballing legend.
I liked dalglish as a player, certainly for liverpool.
the fact he’s a turncoat doesn’t bother me too much, but the fact he managed the green and grey mob and held a press conference in the bairds slophouse means he can never ever win any votes for his footballing ability.

denis law all day for me.

Difficult one to call, Law appeared ahead of his time. I saw Dalglish playing live a few times for Scotland and Liverpool and his level of performance was incredible, his awareness on what was going on around him was on another level.

KD was the better footballer all round but DL was deadlier infront of goal, was lucky enough to have saw them both play

Toss a coin so far as I am concerned. What I will say is that I have always thought that although they had their great moments, both of them were very inconsistent so far as their Scotland performances were concerned. In my opinion Dalglish had been awarded plenty of caps before he had what could be described as a genuinely good game at international level. Although that cannot be said of Law, there were more than a few games where he didn't produce what was expected. My mind always goes back to the Poland game at Hampden in 1965 which badly damaged our World Cup qualification as an example of when he should have done far better.

Two fabulous players obviously. Souness rated Dalgish so highly - mutual admiration there, while Shankly said that Law was the best player he had managed. Huddersfield Town. I'd take either.

Old enough to have seen both.Law was a great striker and a handful for anyone but Dalglish was imo the better all round player.So if I had to choose the one I'd like to have in my team it would be KD.

Dalglish was the best player I have ever seen shielding a ball.
Very difficult to take the ball from him.

I'm to young to have seen Law play but Dalglish was a sensational player. Scotland can't have produced many players better than Dalglish and I still believe us not signing has to go down as one of our biggest mistake.

Law is the best player my dad (74)saw playing . He always says that Dalglish was a bit overrated! I can't really comment because I didn't see a lot of Dalglish,just a few clips.

Never had a chance to watch Law in the flesh but only on video, and yes Dalglish was a great player but I would still pick Law as to me he looked more dangerous.

Both great footballers but different, Law was the better goalscorer, Dalglish was the better all rounder. A draw for me.

tv9ypLR.gif

The Lawman !

Law was before my time,difficult to choose as dalglish was some player but my old man says Dennis law was unbelievable in that front 3 of Law Charlton and Best so I'll go for the lawman,from the footage I've seen he was some finisher

Saw them both for club and country, Law for me.

I would agree with you, in particular with Football Gear, Law had too play with Boots, and a Ball, that No Footballer of Dalgliesh’s Era would have put up with. The degree of Skill required too play with heavy Football Boots and a Bladder, for the younger brigade (Bladder) Foot Ball, was a heavy lump of leather with laces on it, get Skudded by a Wet one and you knew all about it. That’s my case for Law!

We should have been in for Law when he was still at Huddersfield.Imagine him and Baxter both in a Rangers team.

I was lucky enough to see both players although I was young when I first and last saw Dennis Law playing for man city...
Dalglish was an unbelievable player who took a lot of stick when playing for scotland , as expectations were so high based on his achievements with liverpool.....
On both players , the biggest compliment I could give them , is that I haven't seen a British team that both players wouldn't enhance...

Last edited:
Ran this past my old man there as he has lived through both in their primes.

Said Dalglish was the better all round player but Law was a more instinctive goalscorer.

Back