Denis Law - "Rangers engraved on my heart"

Gascoigne

Official Ticketer
An excerpt from the Evening Express article about Denis Law, unsure if it's been posted already

“Aberdeen has a good club but the city’s most talented sons, like Graham Leggat, Adam Blacklaw and Ian Moir, have found it necessary to migrate in order to cash in on their ability.

“I was ever a player, seldom a watcher, but I always paid to see Glasgow Rangers whenever they visited Pittodrie Park.

“Whatever my club may be, Rangers will always be engraved on my heart because in so many ways Rangers are Scottish football.

“An offer from Rangers would have been the one thing that might have stopped me from going to England in the first place.”

Imagine that had come to fruition!

I so wish that, 'The Lawman' could have played for us even for a short while in the early sixties.. Imagine him and Jim Baxter together in our team.

Footnote: No pun.intended there! How I also wish we could have won the UEFA Cup Final, 2008 against Zenit SP for him. Denis Law was UEFA Ambassador for the Final. I thought I detected that trademark competitive, cheeky grin when he walked out ahead of the teams at the Machester City Stadium trying very hard not to show any apparent bias!

'If You Need A Goal Send For The Lawman'. (One of football's truest and great sayings).

RUxNODQzNjI5ODk=.jpg

He wasn't even that good a player anyway...

An excerpt from the Evening Express article about Denis Law, unsure if it's been posted already

“Aberdeen has a good club but the city’s most talented sons, like Graham Leggat, Adam Blacklaw and Ian Moir, have found it necessary to migrate in order to cash in on their ability.

“I was ever a player, seldom a watcher, but I always paid to see Glasgow Rangers whenever they visited Pittodrie Park.

“Whatever my club may be, Rangers will always be engraved on my heart because in so many ways Rangers are Scottish football.

“An offer from Rangers would have been the one thing that might have stopped me from going to England in the first place.”

Imagine that had come to fruition!

We actually did try to buy Denis Law from Huddersfield Town but were outbid by Manchester City. I think they outbid us by £10k which back then was a considerable amount.

That’s the thing, when Rangers came to town, everyone wanted to see them, Rangers are the Premier club in Scotland, always have been. It was known to any chairman that a visit from Rangers gave you a full house, not from travelling support but by locals desperate to see the “big team” and cheer on the famous blue jerseys.
And in the last paragraph of “I’m a Ranger at heart.” starts “You see, Rangers represent the spirit of sport and sportsmanship.” That’s why we don’t do the dark arts, Rangers are above those actions, we plan to win and win fairly.

It’s great how Denis still says that he dreamt of signing and playing for Rangers with the career that he’s had.

I wish I had seen him play.

Had the Rangers Gold VHS when I was a boy, remember Denis Law declaring his love for Rangers on it. Stanley Matthews also spoke very highly of us.

Would have been sticky boccies time if The Law Man became a Ger way back when. He was all about goals goals goals and oh, did i mention more goals? Awesome touch and movement too. Actually getting a semi thinking about the damage he would have done for us back in the 60s.

I met Denis at his book signing in Tesco in Warrington and we spoke about the upcoming CL match between us and Utd (can’t remember if it was 2003 or 2010). Denis felt that we would surprise Utd at Old Trafford. I thought he was just being polite, as he heard my accent. Maybe not, though.

Back