Denis Law recalls how close Rangers legend Jim Baxter was to joining Manchester United

According to Ian McColl (Rangers great and manager of Baxter at Scotland and Sunderland) Baxter’s serious drinking began after the leg break. McColl hinted that Baxter realised that he had lost that undefinable magic and was merely a great player.

Perhaps parallels with Gascoigne after his injury in 1991at Wembley.

Reactions: o7o
Sweet Jesus Best and Slim Jim in the same team.

o_Oo_Oo_O
A transfer move that would have changed football forever! Second ball would have to have been introduced into the game. :)) The stories that would’ve emerged would have been off the charts too:cool::shh:

Reactions: 8-1
Sweet Jesus Best and Slim Jim in the same team.

o_Oo_Oo_O
It would have filled the newspapers both on and off the park.
That said, there is a huge assumption in the article that Busby only had to make a phone call to Rangers and Baxter would be their player.
Total nonsense.
Rangers weren't a selling club and they wouldn't have sold their greatest asset unless it suited the club to do so.
Celtc were a different gravy and have always been a selling club because the greedy individuals running the club have always adored the Queen's Head on coin or paper over everything else.

Rangers usually only let a player go because they had a better one in reserve, hence Alex Scott went with Henderson ready to fill his boots and Willie Stevenson was sold because we had Baxter.

When we did sell Baxter it was because the player was agitating for money the club didn't want to pay him and again Rangers had younger players breaking through.

It would have filled the newspapers both on and off the park.
That said, there is a huge assumption in the article that Busby only had to make a phone call to Rangers and Baxter would be their player.
Total nonsense.
Rangers weren't a selling club and they wouldn't have sold their greatest asset unless it suited the club to do so.
Celtc were a different gravy and have always been a selling club because the greedy individuals running the club have always adored the Queen's Head on coin or paper over everything else.

Rangers usually only let a player go because they had a better one in reserve, hence Alex Scott went with Henderson ready to fill his boots and Willie Stevenson was sold because we had Baxter.

When we did sell Baxter it was because the player was agitating for money the club didn't want to pay him and again Rangers had younger players breaking through.
In terms of at his best, how good was he when he left Rangers?

In terms of at his best, how good was he when he left Rangers?
Jim was a poor trainer.
His skill managed to disguise that fact in enough games to get him by, but as age wore on, the poor commitment to his physical condition was telling.
Even in the sixties, economy of movement was a huge disadvantage.

I once saw him play for Forest at Stamford Bridge, and the flashes of brilliance were still there, the elegance and the telling pass evident and it made an impression on the mind, but the sum total of his contribution wasn't really enough.
He was only 28 and should have been at his height, instead, he was well on his way out of the game.

Baxter was never the same player after he broke his leg in Vienna. He was at the peak of his formidable powers at that time and still think Rangers could have won the European Cup that season if he hadn't got done.
It's frustrating to hear how good he was and yet only have a few clip to rely on. I know it's not the passing of time either, nearly every Rangers fan I knew growing up said the same thing.

Last edited:
Jim was a poor trainer.
His skill managed to disguise that fact in enough games to get him by, but as age wore on, the poor commitment to his physical condition was telling.

I once saw him play for Forest at Stamford Bridge, and the flashes of brilliance were still there, the elegance and the telling pass evident and it made an impression on the mind, but the sum total of his contribution wasn't really enough.
He was only 28 and should have been at his height, instead, he was well on his way out of the game.
Did that influence him being sold by Rangers, or was the club reluctant to sell.

Did that influence him being sold by Rangers, or was the club reluctant to sell.
It has been claimed that Baxter had contempt for the directors and that his behaviour was tantamount to subversion.

Accordingly, Board were delighted to sell.

If Baxter had gone to Man Utd he would be remembered now universally as one of the game's greatest players.
As it is, there won't be too many outside of Scottish football now who know a lot about him.

Led by the same utter buffoon who sold Forrest and McLean two years later.
Different times but players then were basically slaves albeit well paid (although not close to today's level)
Clubs could do more or less what they wanted with them. Hang on to registrations even without paying them. If transferred the club decided where they went
Directors largely thought they were above it all and often viewed players with contempt
Always worth bearing in mind when lamenting the state of the modern game where players have almost the same employment rights as the rest of the population

Born to late to see this genius. But my old man would never tire of telling me how good Baxter was.
The thought is mouthwatering of Baxter in the same team as Best and Law.
I suppose I’ve been slightly compensated by watching Gazza in a Rangers jersey.

Baxter was done when David White signed him in 1969, he was a panic signing by White. Baxter played in the Rest of the World team v England in 1963 when he was at the peak of his game.
Baxter was White's last chance saloon signing, similar to Advocatt signing Flo. After the debacle of the 69 SCF White had one leg out the door. Baxter let White down badly, hardly kicking a ball and training poorly.

He was in a documentary long after he retired and when asked what advice he'd give a young player, it was train. He recalled how he roomed with Dave Mackay with Scotland and Dave always gave himself a hard time if he'd had a night out. Slim, on the other hand, wanted more time in his bed and put as little effort as he could into training.

If Baxter had gone to Man Utd he would be remembered now universally as one of the game's greatest players.
As it is, there won't be too many outside of Scottish football now who know a lot about him.
His drinking and lack of commitment would've ensured that didn't happen.
We were lucky to get 4 and a half years of brilliance from him.
Dave McKay used to plead with him to train, but Jim knew better and preferred to lie in bed or at Ibrox soak in the bath and nurse his hangover.
A wasted talent, who should really be undisputed as Scotland's greatest footballer. We probably only saw 60% of what he was capable of.

I believe that Scott Symon would have wanted to retain Jim's services, as Jim being in the team made his life easier, but already Jim was the talk of the steamie for his antics around town.
I suppose the directors would have weighed up a diminishing asset against the sum offered and decided to cash in.
I still think it was the wrong approach, but I suppose a supporter always believes that a wayward genius can be coaxed back into the fold.
Maybe the reality was much different and Jim was beyond listening to anyone.

He was in a documentary long after he retired and when asked what advice he'd give a young player, it was train. He recalled how he roomed with Dave Mackay with Scotland and Dave always gave himself a hard time if he'd had a night out. Slim, on the other hand, wanted more time in his bed and put as little effort as he could into training.
Players like Moore, Greaves and Mackay were all top boozers, but unlike Baxter, they also did the hard yards on the training ground.

I believe that Scott Symon would have wanted to retain Jim's services, as Jim being in the team made his life easier, but already Jim was the talk of the steamie for his antics around town.
I suppose the directors would have weighed up a diminishing asset against the sum offered and decided to cash in.
I still think it was the wrong approach, but I suppose a supporter always believes that a wayward genius can be coaxed back into the fold.
There was a certain amount of misty eyed delusion around in 69 when he re-signed. Sadly he was not the returning hero that would put the rattlers to the sword, as he had done repeatedly when in his prime. The truth is he was finished as a serious professional football player.

His drinking and lack of commitment would've ensured that didn't happen.
We were lucky to get 4 and a half years of brilliance from him.
Dave McKay used to plead with him to train, but Jim knew better and preferred to lie in bed or at Ibrox soak in the bath and nurse his hangover.
A wasted talent, who should really be undisputed as Scotland's greatest footballer. We probably only saw 60% of what he was capable of.
Maybe even 60% is an overestimate.
A tee-total committed Baxter would have driven Rangers to European glory.
Jim was the player whom we could have built a fantastic team around to compete in Europe and win.
Sadly Jim was only committed to the bevvy.

There was a certain amount of misty eyed delusion around in 69 when he re-signed. Sadly he was not the returning hero that would put the rattlers to the sword, as he had done repeatedly when in his prime. The truth is he was finished as a serious professional football player.
Yes, but there was still cameo moments when the genius surfaced.
Incredibly the artistry and grace of his movement could still enthral an onlooker.
But as a ninety-minute professional he was wasted.

Maybe even 60% is an overestimate.
A tee-total committed Baxter would have driven Rangers to European glory.
Jim was the player whom we could have built a fantastic team around to compete in Europe and win.
Sadly Jim was only committed to the bevvy.
I've always thought we could have won the European Cup in 64 -65 if Baxter hadn't got done in Vienna.

You written about him before, on another thread a while back, and it's always intrigued me since; you described him, if memory serves, as not strong physically, and yet he had an incredible ability. He was in a team of great players, yet stood out beyond them; it bothers me that I can't imagine how good he was from how you decribed him in terms of physical stature- today's player has to be athletic by and large. I found I have a biography of him; I need to read it sometime in the near future.

I wish I had seen him live in the flesh. I absolutely love players like him, complete mavericks who want to win but at the same realise that fans what to be entertained and entertain he did.

We really miss guys like him in todays game, we really only have one player like that about and that is Neymar who is quite happy to humiliate players, take it round them and then go back because he forgot to nutmeg him. Its trained out of these players nowadays.

I remember him coming on against Spurs in a pre season match,his first game after his return.
Unfortunately it wasn’t the old slim Jim we watched in the early 60s.

I remember him coming on against Spurs in a pre season match,his first game after his return.
Unfortunately it wasn’t the old slim Jim we watched in the early 60s.

The first time I saw Baxter play - I was too young to witness the peerless Baxter.

Interestingly, Baxter played as sweeper in an away tie against Steaua Bucharest in 1969 and, by all accounts, was exceptional in a 0-0 draw. Dave Smith was later to make the sweeper position his own.

You written about him before, on another thread a while back, and it's always intrigued me since; you described him, if memory serves, as not strong physically, and yet he had an incredible ability. He was in a team of great players, yet stood out beyond them; it bothers me that I can't imagine how good he was from how you decribed him in terms of physical stature- today's player has to be athletic by and large. I found I have a biography of him; I need to read it sometime in the near future.
I think if you want a comparison with a modern player, and the way he manipulated a game, it would possibly be Luka Modric.
Modric is perhaps a bit more mobile around the park whilst Jim glided almost gracefully.
But the result of the way both play is the same, eventually they set the tone for the game, pulling the strings that shape the play and eventually you see all the players in the team sort themselves out around the conductor, each player being directed in how to perform their part.
It was certainly a kind of magic.

The first time I saw Baxter play - I was too young to witness the peerless Baxter.

Interestingly, Baxter played as sweeper in an away tie against Steaua Bucharest in 1969 and, by all accounts, was exceptional in a 0-0 draw. Dave Smith was later to make the sweeper position his own.
Me too.

Jim Baxter is truly the greatest player I have had the privilege of seeing in a Rangers jersey. World class, world renowned and respected as such by his peers who themselves were legendary players.

You appreciate that clip even more when you focus on the opposition player who who makes the initial challenge. There just isn't enough footage, though, for anyone who wasn't there to see him; a great pity.

Jim Baxter is truly the greatest player I have had the privilege of seeing in a Rangers jersey. World class, world renowned and respected as such by his peers who themselves were legendary pl
Jim Baxter is truly the greatest player I have had the privilege of seeing in a Rangers jersey. World class, world renowned and respected as such by his peers who themselves were legendary players.

Great to see that clip. When you watch old games you often notice how it's a much slower pace overall, but that clip shows how individual parts of the game were just as fast and intense as now.

If it's the biography I've read, it paints a pretty unflattering picture of him away from the pitch.

Baxter was never the same player after he broke his leg in Vienna. He was at the peak of his formidable powers at that time and still think Rangers could have won the European Cup that season if he hadn't got done.
I had a wee tranny on at work (young apprentice) that fateful day.
We were in shock.:(
We have had lots of great players come out of Scotland,but Slim was the
greatest.As many of his peers have said,he was a Genius.

You would have had to have seen Slim Jim to appreciate what he brought to the team in those days, especially against the earl haigs. He was gallus. Not only did it make the team believe in themselves, but also the fans. Every time we were up against them we truly believed that we would win.

Against the smaller Scottish teams, sometimes Jimmie wouldn’t exactly commit himself 100 per cent to the game. It depended if he was ’up for it’. Against the likes of Real Madrid or at international level the challenge was always to show who was boss. Puskas, for example, was so taken by Jimmie’s skills that they ended up as pals going out for a bevvie to a party in Drumchapel, so the story goes.

I’m just thankful to have witnessed him from the outset to when he was sold. I remember the first cup final we were in against the green and grey at Hamden, some 3 months after he had left, in the League Cup Final. We lost narrowly and that was the first time I had witnessed a defeat against them. It wasn’t until Souness came did that similar feeling come back that we were in control. Sure, there were some good results with Jock Walkace, but the gallusness in the 70’s and 80’s wasn’t there. It took Souness, Laudrup & Gasgoigne to have that feeling back.

Stevie G has overturned the fear factor, but still our team lacks that gallus feeling that makes ye feel invincible. He needs to find a modern day Jimmie.

According to Ian McColl (Rangers great and manager of Baxter at Scotland and Sunderland) Baxter’s serious drinking began after the leg break. McColl hinted that Baxter realised that he had lost that undefinable magic and was merely a great player.

Perhaps parallels with Gascoigne after his injury in 1991at Wembley.
Baxter had a drink problem long before his leg break. When he signed from Raith Rovers he stayed in the St Enoch hotel and the club picked up the bar tab. You have to wonder why the club let that happen.

Jim was a poor trainer.

That is it in a nutshell!

Back