Denis Law recalls how close Rangers legend Jim Baxter was to joining Manchester United

I was working in London when he signed for Sunderland. They played Arsenal at Highbury, there was as many Rangers Supporters as Sunderland, all with the scarfs on.

Read it...Great players but whole story reeks. So Busby asked Denis who was the best...got trouble with that....also,

At the climax, England talisman Bobby Moore said it was the best Scotland team he had ever faced. And with stellar figures such as Baxter, Denis Law, John White and Dave Mackay in their ranks, it was hard to disagree.
First time he'd played against Scotland. (I think)

As I said great players but poetic license used here. Sorry.

Baxter had a drink problem long before his leg break. When he signed from Raith Rovers he stayed in the St Enoch hotel and the club picked up the bar tab. You have to wonder why the club let that happen.

The stories about his drinking were myriad. Allegedly on one occasion prior to a Scottish Cup tie at Firhill, Scot Symon had to go to a Glasgow Police station early on a Saturday morning to get him out of the jail as he had been drinking very heavily on the Friday night and the cops had had to lift him. Apparently he had an absolutely great game that afternoon. As long as he could perform like that then he could get away with it, but his lifestyle caught up with him. Baxter left us older Bears with many great memories, but if he himself had wanted to 'screw the nut' and make a genuine attempt to act professionally and maintain his physical conditioning, there could have been so many more.

He couldn’t run, he couldn’t tackle, he couldn’t head a ball.
The best players in the world heralded him.
That’s how good Jim Baxter was. I saw it all. But just like Best, he couldn’t beat the drink.

Ive not seen much footage of him

Is there much out there? Any older bear (im 42) have always told me he was the best in a blue shirt they’ve seen

My oldman a Leeds Fan said he was world class sure he said he tore Brazil apart at Hampden once? Or im i getting confused?

Ive not seen much footage of him

Is there much out there? Any older bear (im 42) have always told me he was the best in a blue shirt they’ve seen

My oldman a Leeds Fan said he was world class sure he said he tore Brazil apart at Hampden once? Or im i getting confused?
He dominated v Brazil in 1966, set up Steve Chalmers in the first minute with a superb pass to open the scoring. A 1-1 draw but Baxter was a class above everyone, including Pele who was marked out of the game by Bremner. It was a privilege to be at the game

Read it...Great players but whole story reeks. So Busby asked Denis who was the best...got trouble with that....also,

At the climax, England talisman Bobby Moore said it was the best Scotland team he had ever faced. And with stellar figures such as Baxter, Denis Law, John White and Dave Mackay in their ranks, it was hard to disagree.
First time he'd played against Scotland. (I think)

As I said great players but poetic license used here. Sorry.
Baxter was linked with all the top English teams back then. Dave Mackay was always at Bill Nicholson the Spurs manager to try and by Baxter, Nicholson wasn't interested simply because vod his lifestyle, Busby was of the same opinion. Think it was Nicholson that said he wouldn't sign him as he liked to sleep at night.

He couldn’t run, he couldn’t tackle, he couldn’t head a ball.
The best players in the world heralded him.
That’s how good Jim Baxter was. I saw it all. But just like Best, he couldn’t beat the drink.
Totally agree - the best player I have ever had privilege to see live.
Unfortunately it was obvious from early on that his career was going to be short and the leg break started the serious decline.
Imagine Scotland having 2 players in a Rest of the World squad!!!

He dominated v Brazil in 1966, set up Steve Chalmers in the first minute with a superb pass to open the scoring. A 1-1 draw but Baxter was a class above everyone, including Pele who was marked out of the game by Bremner. It was a privilege to be at the game
I was at that game. Pele was kicked out of the game by Bremner. It was embarassing. Pele was later kicked out of the '66 World Cup. Thankfully great players like Pele now get protection.
Baxter and Henderson were great entertainment in the 60s.

The first time I saw Baxter play - I was too young to witness the peerless Baxter.

Interestingly, Baxter played as sweeper in an away tie against Steaua Bucharest in 1969 and, by all accounts, was exceptional in a 0-0 draw. Dave Smith was later to make the sweeper position his own.
I only seen him when he returned and 2 things I remember. A free kick he took against them that Wee Bud netted with the head, in a midweek League Cup Sectional tie at Ibrox and him scoring the only goal for us in a 1-3 defeat against Gornik of Poland.

PS; They had a class act called Lubanski.

In his first league game when he came back the game had a massive build up, when he came out the tunnel it looked like the shirt was a size too small.

Slight tangent, but as a kid I had a Rangers songs cassette and had a song about Baxter.

It was about his leg break, was kind of like a ballad but for the life of me I cant remember its name. Certainly never heard it on the terraces.

I've watched the full 90 minutes numerous times, and frankly Baxter isn't close to being MOTM. The two you've mentioned plus Law would be my call. Probably Law.
Always thought our 2 in central defence were outstanding when you think who they were up against.
I’m not sure how often they played together in these positions for Rangers.
Memory not the greatest, perhaps someone will know.

Back