Denmark v Australia - ITV

I'm generally in favour of VAR if it leads to the right decisions being made. My concern is the use of VAR appears to be arbitrary and, as such, can be seen to be unfair. There was an occassion when Denmark had an equally good penalty claim but it was never reviewed. There needs to be very clear rules as to when it is used and when it isn't used.

That was a cracking Erikson goal.
So has the rule about the arm being in an unnatural position been removed from the rule book? I would say the only way that is a pen is because his arm is in an unnatural position so in that case the decision is correct, but the rules they showed on ITV didn't seem to mention this. We got a few penalties awarded against us last season for exactly that.

So has the rule about the arm being in an unnatural position been removed from the rule book? I would say the only way that is a pen is because his arm is in an unnatural position so in that case the decision is correct, but the rules they showed on ITV didn't seem to mention this. We got a few penalties awarded against us last season for exactly that.
It's a mess. I don't know why they just can't go back to the simple rule that handball must be deemed deliberate. The ball being headed onto someone's arm from a yard away, as he's looking in the other direction and whilst jumping for a header, is just never a penalty for me.

The 'unnatural position' still seems to be in there (if this extract is correct) but its been expanded to include the definition that the arm being above the head, for example, is deemed an 'unnatural position' and that, in such an instance, the handball doesn't need to be deliberate.

"A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

Back