Denmark v Australia - ITV

Understandable as the ball was heading towards the goal, but not sure if I would give it.

I've seen them given but it has to be an obvious error to make a VAR decision and I dont think that was obvious enough.

That’s twice now I’ve seen a game stopped during play for the referee to look at the replays. What I don’t get is, how is that fair for the team that is attacking if it turns out not to be a penalty? Surely they should be waiting for the next time the ball is out?

That’s twice now I’ve seen a game stopped during play for the referee to look at the replays. What I don’t get is, how is that fair for the team that is attacking if it turns out not to be a penalty? Surely they should be waiting for the next time the ball is out?
I think they're supposed to wait until the play is in a "neutral" area.
Doesn't always seem to be the case though.

Boys arm is up high and stops the ball going towards goal. Normally if your arms are up away from your body and you hit the ball then it's a penalty

Is a handball being deliberate the rules anymore as I'd imagine 95% of handballs in the box aren't going to be deliberate. Who actually wants too hand ball it in the box unless you're suarez.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, what’s the point of VAR if they still can’t get it right
It appears there is no point if you're giving a penalty for that. At every corner there are multiple fouls for the for and against the attacking team but they pick up on the silliest of handle balls.
While typing this there appears to be a shove on an Aussie player in the box. Looks clear as day but no review. Bonkers.

No penalty? Really? His hand wasn't exactly in a "natural position" when the ball hit it, was it? Definite penalty IMO.

The rule I am sure states that the position of a hand doesn't make it delibrate handball. However it wasn't exactly in an unnatural position unless you think people should jump with arms by their side.

For it to be handball it has to be delibrate would you class that as delibrate?

"A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

So the question should be - was his arm outstretched in an unnatural position

The rule I am sure states that the position of a hand doesn't make it delibrate handball. However it wasn't exactly in an unnatural position unless you think people should jump with arms by their side.

The rule has apparently changed again (according to one of the refs in our league).

The referee can give a penalty if the handball has significantly changed the outcome of play, whether it was deliberate or not.

No penalty? Really? His hand wasn't exactly in a "natural position" when the ball hit it, was it? Definite penalty IMO.

Of course it wasn’t in a “natural position” as he was jumping in mid air and the momentum caused by his leap coupled with his body pitching and yawing means his arms are going to be propelled accordingly.

Decent game this. Good strike from Eriksen (meant to put him as FGS but my battery ran out) and then a cool penalty from Jedinak. Can see more goals in the second half. Hope I haven’t jinxed it.

I've never understood that definition. How many handballs are "deliberate", as in, someone has thought "right I'm going to punch this ball away in the penalty box"? Close to zero I'd think. You can jump without having your hands at your side and also without flailing them above your head too.

Flight of ball brushed it past his trailing arm that was at no stage moved towards ball...he competed fairly for the header and at no stage did he use arm for any advantage. Oh and you try jumping for a header with one arm by your side.

If this is what a penalty now is then it's as ludicrous as....well everything else FIFA do.

The rule has apparently changed again (according to one of the refs in our league).

The referee can give a penalty if the handball has significantly changed the outcome of play, whether it was deliberate or not.
I haven't heard that before but it certainly makes sense!

"A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

So the question should be - was his arm outstretched in an unnatural position

No because humans can't really jump otherwise unless FIFA know better...

You could say then everytime the ball hits an arm, unless the arm is infront of the body, it's significantly changed the outcome of play, esp in the box. Including when it's been blasted against the arm from a yard away.

At the moment Australia look the best at getting themselves into penalty award winning situations in this game.

Hopefully Denmark realise to get the ball wide to win the free kicks or corners to get themselves into penalty award winning positions. A good ball in with at least five attacking it will more often than not result in some pulling or pushing by the defenders. VAR call and job done.

This is the future of high level football with VAR, we better get used to it.

If England get a fair crack of the whip I can see them going far in this tournament as they look one of the best in getting themselves into penalty award winning situations. Good football ! Nah! Penalty award winning situations, that’s the future!

Good penalty takers will be like gold dust shortly.

Two professional football managers have diametrically opposed views on the penalty incident so what chance do we mere mortals have?

Clattenburg says no penalty. Now it doesn't matter what anyone thinks in regards to the penalty if there is so much debate and even a ref agrees with the original decision overturning it is a joke.

I have a fairly simplistic way of looking at these things. If it happened in a game against the Dhims would I be wanting the penalty for us? Would I be f*cking raging if we didn't get it? I would, on both accounts. So, fair enough decision as far as I'm concerned.:)

Never a penalty, VAR really is shit and will eventually ruin the game if it's allowed to continue in its present format

That Martin O'Neill is a specky Hotdog, Prick thinks he's managing C****c the way he was talking about that Penalty.

I have a fairly simplistic way of looking at these things. If it happened in a game against the Dhims would I be wanting the penalty for us? Would I be f*cking raging if we didn't get it? I would, on both accounts. So, fair enough decision as far as I'm concerned.:)

What if it was against us? Would you want play to keep going? Would you be raging if it was giving?

At the moment Australia look the best at getting themselves into penalty award winning situations in this game.

Hopefully Denmark realise to get the ball wide to win the free kicks or corners to get themselves into penalty award winning positions. A good ball in with at least five attacking it will more often than not result in some pulling or pushing by the defenders. VAR call and job done.

This is the future of high level football with VAR, we better get used to it.

If England get a fair crack of the whip I can see them going far in this tournament as they look one of the best in getting themselves into penalty award winning situations. Good football ! Nah! Penalty award winning situations, that’s the future!

Good penalty takers will be like gold dust shortly.

This ^^^

Soon top players will have it all sussed and every c*** will be playing for a VAR stoppage and decision. We will see CL matches blighted by it too.

What are the criteria for VAR being used?

For example, it was used for the Australia penalty. Why was it not used when Poulsen went down in the box just now?

This ^^^

Soon top players will have it all sussed and every c*** will be playing for a VAR stoppage and decision. We will see CL matches blighted by it too.
And at every mildly contentious decision you'll have every fan in the ground doing that stupid "making a square" thing with their hands.
It's going to drive us all fkn nuts!

This ^^^

Give it two years and this will be the headlines.

Real Madrid are trying to sign Milivojevic from C Palace for £150m. He was Palaces top goal scorer last season with 28 goals, 26 from the penalty spot. He even scored the perfect hat trick in one game with the first penalty into the left hand bottom corner the second penalty into the right and the third penalty straight down the middle! The boy is a class act.

Mark my words this is coming with VAR.

What are the criteria for VAR being used?

For example, it was used for the Australia penalty. Why was it not used when Poulsen went down in the box just now?

It's when the Video Assistant Refs invite the ref to have a look. Supposed to be for clear and obvious wrong calls. How a decision being debated with fans managers and refs all having different opinions is clear and obvious is beyond me.

For what it's worth, the ref is never going to keep his decision as in their head they think everyone telling me I got this wrong so better change it.

Give it two years and this will be the headlines.

Real Madrid are trying to sign Milivojevic from C Palace for £150m. He was Palaces top goal scorer last season with 28 goals, 26 from the penalty spot. He even scored the perfect hat trick in one game with the first penalty into the left hand bottom corner the second penalty into the right and the third penalty straight down the middle! The boy is a class act.

Mark my words this is coming with VAR.

Such a shame I am now in my 30s. I was always shite at football but I hardly ever missed a penalty. I could be worth a fortune if 20 year younger.

Contentious decisions are part of football for me, without them it just makes modern football become even more boring. You need those talking points after a game to debate and discuss.

Back