Deportivo La Coruna about to be relegated to Spanish 3rd tier

The team who's results I look out for in Spain, terrible monetary failures after their CL ventures, and have struggled since.
Sad

Thought they were already down?

Actually you might be right mate. A win would only take them level on points with Ponferradina and I'm not sure who has the head to head between them.

Just looked up the squad for 2000. Some players Aldo Duscher, Walter Pandiani, Diego Tristan, Roy Makaay, Capdevilla, Valeron.

Pandiani was a fucking maniac off the park if I remember right. Nickname was ‘The Rifle’ because of how hard he could ping it with his right.

Actually you might be right mate. A win would only take them level on points with Ponferradina and I'm not sure who has the head to head between them.

Aye sure they’re only playing it as other team has a chance of making the playoffs

I loved watching Deportivio and the way they played Arsenal off the park within 20 minutes in a CL game was something I havent saw for a while.

I liked them that much i got one of their tops, it's about 18 years old now but cost me £55 from Grieves.

Soft spot for them but so sad to see how far they have fallen.

Diego Tristan was my favourite player, ended up playing in England but was a complete donkey.

If they win they go to 51 points. There’s a team in relegation zone on 50. Win keeps them up
They would still be in the relegation zone albeit 4th bottom instead of Numancia.

They can’t overtake the team outside the relegation zone, head to head is worse.

I work with a Depor fan and he was raging at the Spanish FA’s decision to cancel their game whilst playing the rest a couple weeks ago. But deep down I think he accepts they deserve to go down. They actually were even more doomed around December time before staging a mid season rally where they looked they were safe.

Deportivo punched massively above their weightfor the 90s and 00s and whilst their natural level isn’t Liga 2 or below they are probably a middling team who would have the odd season of relegation in them. Zaragoza are probably a bigger supported club and they have been in the lower league for a decade or so it seems

19 years ago deportivo were playing leeds utd in the quarter finals of the champions league

Saw them play Barca in the Nou Camp in 2013 when Barca were at their peak, they played well and only lost 2-0.

I remember that Milan comeback so vividly.
Another game that helped my love for the game and European football.

Will always think teams like Deportivo, Auxerre, Galatasaray and Parma should have bigger standing in the game than their current position belies due to their power and ability around that time.

They won the league when I was about 10 I think (if they never won they definitely came close)

I still see them as a big team in Spain even though they probably aren’t

19 years ago deportivo were playing leeds utd in the quarter finals of the champions league

So the fall of Leeds due to money they did not have finally reaches Depor...for the money they did not have.
Loved watching then at that time but they were well beyond their means and it has now caught up with them.

I remember them losing the league before they actually won it when they had a pen in the last minute to be crowned champs and they missed it giving league to Barca on the final day. Regular pen taker Donato had been subbed and Bebeto bottled out of taking it.
Djukic stepped up, missed and the rest is folklore.
Loved their strip

I was lucky enough to be working out there (Galicia) in the mid to late nineties. I lived roughly mid way between La Coruna and Santiago De Compostella, for a season or two both were in the top tier and played week about at home. Even though Compostella's stadium only held circa 8000 people you could pick up match tickets for both teams no problem. As many have said, Depor had a fantastic side back then with Rivaldo and Bebeto almost unplayable at times.
My one outstanding memory of my time there was being at the game where Ronaldo (Mk1) slalomed past the entire Compostella defence as they kicked and pulled at his shirt in a vain attempt to stop him. After the ball hits the net the camera swings to Bobby Robson who stands there with a look of disbelief on his face that says 'wtf was that'?? ..at his peak he was a truly special player, Im sure he scored 3 that day in a 5-2 Barca win.
The Galician derby games between Depor and Celta Vigo were seen as a big thing out there, the locals didn't really appreciate me telling them how badly these games compared to what I was used to.
Anyway lots of happy memories from my time out there and I'm sad to see their demise!
Forza Depor!!

Loads of rumours about this. One being that Segunda will be 24 Clubs next season, as oppose to the usual 22, meaning Depor will stay in it.

VAR penalty in the last minute to mean they finished 4th bottom.

Might well not be over this.

So looks like their hope is resting on an expansion of the second division next season to stay up.

I read up a bit in it and many Spaniards are happy that they won due to the fact it fucks up Fuenlabrada. An explanation on reddit:

On the last matchday Deportivo and Fuenlabrada were suppose to play against each other, but it was cancelled when Fuenlabrada had confirmed Covid-19 cases in the team. Obviously it's not anyone's fault, but then the team still decided to ignore protocols and traveled to A Coruña so covid cases only grew within the players and staff. Because they traveled, there was also a risk that Deportivo players could have gotten covid. Tebas' son also works for Fuenlabrada as a secretary, which makes people dislike the team. Tebas also had his share by protecting the team from criticism and deflecting blame from the team.

That match was supposed to be played at the same time along with all the other matches, but it was the only match suspended while the other 10 games still went on. After all the matches were played, Deportivo were getting relegated no matter what happened, so it just became a shit show and complaints all over the place.

Basically stuff like Deportivo asking all matches get replayed since they didn't played, or asking the federation to spare them relegation along with Numancia so they could have 24 teams for next season. Extremadura suggesting no team gets relegated because of the irregularities of covid, or Fuenlabrada wanting a play-off match between Elche and the winner qualifies to the promotion play-offs and still wanting to take legal action against the league.

I might be missing some more minor details, but this is just some of the takeaway as to why some people don't like Fuenlabrada.

Tebas who is mentioned is the president La Liga

Back