Depth at Left Back - Options?

We should be promoting Patterson and Maxwell into the squad.

Any full back cover that comes in will barely play and I can't see us spending big for cover as other areas are a priority.

Any decent free transfers out there ?

Don’t want to derail the thread talking about their fullbacks but I’d disagree on their right backs being shite Frimpong is a decent player and will make them a lot of money and the Israeli boy looked good when I watched him but supposedly injured all the time
He’s good going forward,not very good defensively.

Think that's a bit of hyperbole, it's yet to be determined how Patterson will move to first team level. I hope it turns out to be true, and of course he can be an option too, but I can't imagine him playing European games or Old Firm games any time soon and McCrorie, like Flanagan, could easily do so.

Patterson will be that bit more mature and experienced next season mate and he is an absolute natural in that position.

Ross did very well in defensive mid v Celtic, but was horrific in central defence against them, which isn't his strongest position to be fair.

I wouldn't fancy him at full back against them.

Patterson will be that bit more mature and experienced next season mate and he is an absolute natural in that position.

Ross did very well in defensive mid v Celtic, but was horrific in central defence against them, which isn't his strongest position to be fair.

I think as a stand in midfield destroyer for certain games he had something to offer that we just didn't have otherwise,but personally I wouldn't have him as a RB or CB under any circumstances.
And I've nothing whatsoever against the lad,it's just how it is.

Patterson sounds very exciting from guys like yourself that have seen a lot more of him than most.

I think as a stand in midfield destroyer for certain games he had something to offer that we just didn't have otherwise,but personally I wouldn't have him as a RB or CB under any circumstances.

Patterson sounds very exciting from guys like yourself that have seen a lot more of him than most.

I think Ross, did well in defensive mid v Celtic, but he isn't a natural full back, while Nathan is.

I know the family well so I'm maybe biased cav, but try not to be.

He is from good Rangers stock and has a terrific attitude.

He has everything you want in a modern full back.

Pace, strength, athleticism and good delivery.
He's got a wee nasty streak too, which is always good.

All he wants to do is play for Rangers and he's very highly rated by our coaching staff.

He's a determined lad and he'll be pushing hard for a place in the squad in the coming season.

hope so it’s his Da :))

Reactions: cav
I think Ross, did well in defensive mid v Celtic, but he isn't a natural full back, while Nathan is.

I know the family well so I'm maybe biased cav, but try not to be.

He is from good Rangers stock and has a terrific attitude.

He has everything you want in a modern full back.

Pace, strength, athleticism and good delivery.
He's got a wee nasty streak too, which is always good.

All he wants to do is play for Rangers and he's very highly rated by our coaching staff.

He's a determined lad and he'll be pushing hard for a place in the squad in the coming season.
You’re definitely not the only one.a few well known posters who watch a lot of the youths have been praising him to the rafters for a wee while now,got my fingers crossed for him

See we were linked (again) with Nathaniel Clyne today. Would be a tremendous signing imo but he would only come up here to be 1st choice and if it comes down to money then we've got no chance. Only 28 or so and an England international, over 100 appearances for Liverpool. Would be a real blue chip signing.

Patterson is vastly superior full back to McCrorie imo.

More athletic, not as rash in the tackle and has a far better delivery.
Patterson looked the part when he was given a chance, a wee bit dissapointed that he didn't get more game time. Personally I'd be far happier going with Patterson than a wrong side of 30 Barry Douglas whose career seems to be on the downward slope at a fair rate.

I’d take Douglas in a heartbeat. I can see Barisic getting through a season injury free so securing adequate cover at left back will be crucial for us.

I’d take Douglas in a heartbeat. I can see Barisic getting through a season injury free so securing adequate cover at left back will be crucial for us.
My worry is, if Barisic is injured will Douglas be fit? Would be a quality backup if he could find his form from a couple of years but that is the one thing that makes me wary.

I actually want to see our youth players promoted into the first team and give them a chance. Look at how Billy Gilmore has flourished, I think Gerrard should put faith and trust in the youngsters coming through the ranks and give them a chance and a good chance. Gerrard himself got one and look how he turned out to be as a player.

We need an out and out left back as cover. We have been playing RB's out there for years and failing that shifting midfielders into the role.

This is probably the biggest issue at the club, better cover is required.

I like what I've seen of Patterson at youth level also but I think we're more likely to see him head out on loan for a season or two before he jumps to first team level. High hopes for him to be the successor to Tavernier though but that's big boots to fill.

McCrorie has been performing very well at right back for Portsmouth since getting back in the side. He's the first choice right back and captain of the U21 Scotland side as well. He's not about to dethrone Tavernier any time soon but I think he trumps Patterson for now.

Is he though?
because he’s not taking their spot. Someone else will cover them as LB cover.
He’s coming back as a 5th choice CB, a 6th choice CM or a 2nd/3rd choice RB

Which is the spots vacated by Halliday and Flanagan in those roles, is it not?

We would have the best and second best left backs in the country if we signed Douglas!!

He’s a top player

And, as I said, we'll sign a left back and the other vacant positions those guys were supplying backup for, right back and central midfield, can be covered by McCrorie.
Suppose it depends on if you think he is better than the 2 leaving or anyone else we have. I don't

Douglas would be a decent fit either in the squad or starting XI. As mentioned, has experience of playing wing back at both Leeds and wolves when they used a back three. I also think that’s a decent trait if we do mix the system up, eg a 4-4-2/4-5-1 with a defensive player in front of Barisic.
Given the financial restraints of the pandemic, it would have to be a huge bid for us to let Barisic go in my opinion.

I do think we should go in for Hickey too, he could be a long term solution.

Maybe just me, but any time I’ve seen Hickey, he’s looked bang average.

He looks like a school kid playing men’s football.
Kind of feel he was thrown under the bus a little while senior players were dropping with injuries left right and centre. In a settled team and position he looks decent.

I actually want to see our youth players promoted into the first team and give them a chance. Look at how Billy Gilmore has flourished, I think Gerrard should put faith and trust in the youngsters coming through the ranks and give them a chance and a good chance. Gerrard himself got one and look how he turned out to be as a player.

Is there a LB in the youths on the verge of first team action though?

Playing fullback isn't even remotely similar to playing centre back!

How the hell can people judge McCrorie's ability to play fullback based on his centre back appearances v Celtic years ago?

Sounds like another squad filler - another Andy Halliday.

If we're serious about stopping ten then we have to sign a better level of player.

Sounds like another squad filler - another Andy Halliday.

If we're serious about stopping ten then we have to sign a better level of player.

He's far, far superior. Won the Polish league with Lech Poznan. Won the English Championship with Wolves finishing with most assists in the League. On course to win the English Championship again with Leeds this season.

As mentioned the only concern is recent injury problems.

He's far, far superior. Won the Polish league with Lech Poznan. Won the English Championship with Wolves finishing with most assists in the League. On course to win the English Championship again with Leeds this season.

As mentioned the only concern is recent injury problems.

Haven't seen the lad, but that's a decent pedigree.

Maybe I'm being a tad harsh comparing him to Halliday.

I would definitely try and buy Hickey on the cheap. Hearts will need some help so I would be offering them some decent youngsters on loan. If we could get someone like Douglas then great and we loan hickey back to hearts with a recall clause until Borna goes.

The mentally challengeds have a buy back clause on Hickey. He'll be going to them. Source: his dad.

I work with his mate, he isn’t aware of any interest from us but would obviously be interested as he’s a Rangers fan.

He’s waiting to see what happens with Leeds as he likes it there and wouldn’t come back up here for any other club. He wouldn’t mind going abroad again also.

I work with his mate, he isn’t aware of any interest from us but would obviously be interested as he’s a Rangers fan.

He’s waiting to see what happens with Leeds as he likes it there and wouldn’t come back up here for any other club. He wouldn’t mind going abroad again also.
IF Leeds get promoted to prem league there is no chance he will leave without a crack at the prem league. Rangers fan or not.

I would sign him if he becomes available.

Barry Douglas would be a quality squad player, and for me he would give barisic a run for his money in terms of delivery and passing quality, free kicks wise also. Defending the hey are probably on a par, but douglas absolutely would be a top drawer signing. He’s won titles where he’s went, he’s a winner and a bluenose and would be fairly cheap for a fee, wages would be decent but we can certainly afford it for this season coming.
My wife’s family know his family very well as they’ve lived near them for years and years in Pollok, he did have eyes on going back to Europe for one last run but if the teddy bears come calling, he would jump at the chance.

Further suggestion: Leart Paqarada (SV Sandhausen, 2. Bundesliga).

25 y/o German-born Kosovo international (19 caps), Leverkusen youth product playing his 6th season in the 2. Bundesliga with mid-table Sandhausen. Contract expires this summer and looks bound for a bigger side (linked with Werder Bremen on a free).

Similar to my last suggestion - Miro Muheim - this lad is broadly similar in style to Borna in that he is tall enough (6'0), has a great left foot and the ability to get up and down the pitch. He is also capable of playing as a LB in a 4-man defence or as a more attack-minded LWB/LM in a 3 or 5-man defence.

His Whoscored average rating of 7.11 ranks him as the 2nd best left-back in the 2. Bundesliga this season, only behind Tim Leibold of Hamburg (who has been sensational). Paqarada is another one I think would be a very astute signing, potentially on a free.

Back