Derek Ferguson - Steven McLean couldn’t wait to send off Morelos

Bonnyloyal

Speaking on BBC Sportsound, Ferguson said: “Do you know what I didn’t like last night?

“Morelos…as soon as he makes that stupid challenge, he tries to hit Shinnie in the face, McLean went after him.

“He couldn’t wait. I think big [Kyle] Lafferty was getting charged out the way.

“It was the way he was running.

“There’s a way about going about your business and Steven McLean last night got it woefully wrong.”

After being quizzed further about his take on the incident by host David Currie, he added: “I just didn’t like the way Steven McLean chased after him and couldn’t wait to get the card out.”

Absolutely spot on,I think the guy is being targeted by both players and refs,I knew as soon as I heard he'd been booked it was only a matter of time. But a question on that is,is that a 2 game ban,because he was only a booking away from a ban,the fact he's been sent off as well. Just wondered. I'm just sickened for the guy,but he needs to learn to walk away and be one step ahead.

Saying what we all saw. Original booking for nothing gave the ref the opportunity to send Alfie off at some point in the game which he did with a sinister relish.

I assume the compliant officer is dealing with Shinnie’s play acting? :rolleyes:

He is correct.

He also couldn't wait to book him.

SM is a complete twat of a ref

Weve had shocker after shocker but this prick was never in control

I haven't seen the sending off footage, but there was a gif on one of the threads of the first booking.

It's clear in the gif that McLean couldn't get the card out quick enough to book Morelos on that occasion, in fact runs over and makes a show of it. Every Aberdeen player in the gif is raising his arms in protest at what looked like a nothing challenge, the 'fouled' player gets straight up and approaches the referee pointing at Morelos.

A foul? Yes, but a booking? Soft to say the least.

He needs to wise up I guess, but compare and contrast the treatment he gets to that of that bastard Anthony Stokes. Now ask yourself why? Inconsistency from the referees? Incompetency on their part?

Something isn't right and it's too easy to just blame Morelos.

He is correct.

He also couldn't wait to book him.

SM is a complete twat of a ref

Weve had shocker after shocker but this prick was never in control

Here's the thing,
Our games with the sheep are known high risk, especially at their place.
Some refs decide to break the game up by giving a free kick instead of letting play carry on.
This stops retribution then players crowding and fighting.
Refs don't want that. So stop the game as much as possible.
Old firm games can be the same.

Morelos made it impossible for any of us to defend him last night.

We're clutching at straws if we're complaining with the way the ref sent him off.
Nobody is even remotely suggesting Morelos didn’t deserve the red card.
I don’t know why there shouldn’t be further discussion on the subject.
So, whilst we’re on it, no action against shittie for his play acting?

He's not wrong.

That was the Steven McLean show last night. He made the match all about him and his awful handling of it.

It was a shambles of a game.

That's as angry at a refereeing display as Ibrox has been since cheating Beaton vs Hibs.

100% mate.

The fact we all knew he'd even it up as soon as Cosgrove got sent off, said it all. The guy is a total wank.

Morelos gets a lot of harsh bookings just because of his reputation but last night he was moaning at the ref just before he was booked and he smacked the player on the face while being on a yellow. He can have no complaints

What has him moaning at the ref got to do with him getting his first booking? I’m not particularly having a go at you with this, I’ve seen this mentioned a few times last night and today. A player moaning at the ref should have absolutely nothing to do with a booking for a foul. If that was the case then Shinnie would have been ordered off in the first half with the amount of moaning he done to the referee.

I'll take what refs do when it's the same for all players whatever team....not one rule for us and a different rule for others.....eg Shinnie tackle

No ones fault but Morelos' that he got sent off. The 2nd yellow could quite easily have been a straight red imo.

Many of us said on here last night once Alfie was first booked, he had to calm it down, he didn't and he was bagged.

He's only 22, he will learn. But, I agree, he's not helping anybody at the club right now.

Steven McLean couldn't wait to send off Morelos

It wasn't Steven McLean that smacked Shinnie in the face.

Morelos is a rocket and Gerrard needs to rein him in. At the moment, his selfishness and petulance may prove to be a luxury we can ill afford.

No ones fault but Morelos' that he got sent off. The 2nd yellow could quite easily have been a straight red imo.
Yep, Shinnie obviously made the most of it but we would have been going mental had it happened to one of our players.

I love Morelos, his game has improved massively this season under Gerrard but his weak link is definitely his temperament. If he has designs on playing at a higher level, ie the EPL and regularly for Columbia then he really has to learn to channel it properly, the gaffer must be tearing his hair out.

I’m Morelos’s biggest fan, but let’s call a spade a spade here, he was already on a yellow and he made it so easy for the ref and put him in a position where he had to send him off. You could even make a case for the second yellow being a straight red (I’m not saying is, but I’ve seen em given for that).

Not often you hear an ex-player back his former club openly despite his son playing for the club Rangers were playing against! So good on you Derek.

Gosh, maybe he didn’t feel so badly compromised for once.

He only articulated what we all felt at the time. Fair play I suppose.

McLean is a shitebag. Nothing more, nothing less. He is not alone as the vast majority, if not all, of his peers are just as bad.

Rangers are top of the league and the fanny in charge of Hertz goes on a rant. The yahoos and their apologists go into automatic how can we stop Rangers.

The easiest thing to do is to make it harder for us. The softest targets in Scottish football are the refs. They have watched their colleagues hounded out of the game for decisions that didn't favour one club. That one club turn up the heat and the yahoo media dance to their tune.

Every single ref in this country makes the safe decision. If their is one single iota of doubt on a passage of play in a dangerous area they will blow for the foul. Not one of them has the balls to call it fairly and let the play go, instead they blow for the foul and the easy out for them.

Every last one of them is terrified to be the centre of the news for the coming week(s).

If and when we win the next title it will be despite the referees. Certainly not because of them as the yahoos want you to believe.

We were always getting a man sent off last night, it's just unfortunate it was Morelos that got himself in that position, especially after the narrative of the last week.

I haven't seen the sending off footage, but there was a gif on one of the threads of the first booking.

It's clear in the gif that McLean couldn't get the card out quick enough to book Morelos on that occasion, in fact runs over and makes a show of it. Every Aberdeen player in the gif is raising his arms in protest at what looked like a nothing challenge, the 'fouled' player gets straight up and approaches the referee pointing at Morelos.

A foul? Yes, but a booking? Soft to say the least.

He needs to wise up I guess, but compare and contrast the treatment he gets to that of that bastard Anthony Stokes. Now ask yourself why? Inconsistency from the referees? Incompetency on their part?

Something isn't right and it's too easy to just blame Morelos.

Dont underestimate the power of the press and media. At the weekend Morelos went down "squeeling" then scored a goal that was "blatantly" offside. He then had the cheek to celebrate in front of the Hearts fans. To top it all we had interviews with Levein slating Morelos and the lack of action against him by referees in general.

Is it any surprise that McLean finally gave him what he 'deserved'?

It wasn't Steven McLean that smacked Shinnie in the face.

Morelos is a rocket and Gerrard needs to rein him in. At the moment, his selfishness and petulance may prove to be a luxury we can ill afford.

No-one smacked him in the face, there was little to no contact and the prick fell to the ground as if he’d been shot.

I’m Morelos’s biggest fan, but let’s call a spade a spade here, he was already on a yellow and he made it so easy for the ref and put him in a position where he had to send him off. You could even make a case for the second yellow being a straight red (I’m not saying is, but I’ve seen em given for that).

What's your thoughts on the forearm smash by Ferguson on Goldson?

Dont underestimate the power of the press and media. At the weekend Morelos went down "squeeling" then scored a goal that was "blatantly" offside. He then had the cheek to celebrate in front of the Hearts fans. To top it all we had interviews with Levein slating Morelos and the lack of action against him by referees in general.

Is it any surprise that McLean finally gave him what he 'deserved'?

At least someone gets it. The soft yellow card in the first half was always going to give this prick the chance later in the game. Shinnie’s play acting sealed Alfie’s fate and gave McLean the opportunity he so craved.

Yep, Shinnie obviously made the most of it but we would have been going mental had it happened to one of our players.

I love Morelos, his game has improved massively this season under Gerrard but his weak link is definitely his temperament. If he has designs on playing at a higher level, ie the EPL and regularly for Columbia then he really has to learn to channel it properly, the gaffer must be tearing his hair out.

It did happen to one of our players and we didnt go mental. Ferguson hit Goldson in the face. No foul given.

No-one smacked him in the face, there was little to no contact and the prick fell to the ground as if he’d been shot.
Take your head out of the sand. He raised his hand, up to Shinnie's face and skelped him. The amount of contact is irrelevant, the intent was there - and everyone I've heard comment on it has said the same. We need to stop trying to defend the indefensible here, and start realising that Morelos's petulance and downright selfishness is going to cost us dearly in the long run. We need fighters for the jersey, who pull together for the team - not hot-headed wee scowlers, spoling for a fight in an empty house. Gerrard needs to rein him in before he loses the plot entirely. And yes, Shinnie definitely made the most of it.

Albeit a stupid 2nd yellow for Alfie, but totally agree that rat McLean couldn't wait to send him off!

Nobody is even remotely suggesting Morelos didn’t deserve the red card.
I don’t know why there shouldn’t be further discussion on the subject.
So, whilst we’re on it, no action against shittie for his play acting?
My point is that we're clutching at straws on this one if the point is the manner in which Morelos was booked.

While Morelos didn't help himself it was so clear as soon as Cosgrove was off that it would be evened up.

Everyone in the stadium knew that was going to happen. I thought Lafferty was going to be a straight swap for Alfie as a precaution it was a case of if he was going to get sent off but when.

Back