Rangers History Derek Johnstone 1970's Briefly

MO_TxTruBlu

I think the big man has suffered a lot of unfair criticism as a Player over the years, because of his media shite since he retired, but I still think he gave us as much as any player has given us in a decade, certainly in our lifetime.

For the benefit of those too young to have witnessed him as a Rangers Player, here are some highlights of what he did achieve in a Rangers jersey.

1970, Derek Johnstone, as a 16 year old boy, won Rangers their first Trophy in Four and half barren years, scoring the only goal of the game, in the League Cup Final v Celtic.

1971, as a 17 year old, He came off the bench in the Scottish Cup Final to score an 87th minute equaliser against Celtic...and despite this, was not selected for the replay!

1972, As an 18 year old, he was shunted into the back four at the last minute, due to Colin Jackson's injury, and played a pivotal role as a Central Defender in the European Cup Winners Cup Final victory, in Barcelona.

1973, He played in the first ever European Super Cup against the great Ajax side, as a Centre Back, and was given rave reviews by none other than Johan Cruyff.
By the end of that season, Derek Johnstone collected a Scottish Cup winners medal, had made over 100 appearances for Rangers, had been capped 5 times for Scotland, and graced the same field as such greats as Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Rivelino and Jairzhino...............and was still only a Teenager!!!!!!

1974, A barren season for Rangers. Johnstone was surprisingly left out of the starting line up for the League Cup Semi Final, in which a Harry Hood hat trick gave Celtic the win rather easily. Johnstone was reinstated at centre back immediately after this, and would make 43 appearances that season.

1975, Rangers win their first Championship Title in 11 years. Johnstone spent most of that season playing in midfield, and still finished with 16 goals, which was only two shy of centre forward Derek Parlane's total of 18.

1976, Johnstone reverts back to Centre Forward, bangs in 31 goals in 50 games, and Rangers do a clean sweep of domestic honours winning the Treble.
Johnstone scores after 22 Seconds, to give Rangers a 1-0 win at Tannadice to secure the Title.
One week later, he again scores inside the first minute (and another one later), as Rangers defeat Hearts 3-1 in the Scottish Cup Final, to wrap up the Treble.

1977, A barren season that was sandwiched with the two trebles. An injury picked up in a 1-0 win over Aberdeen in mid October, would prove crucial, as Johnstone missed 10 games in the next two months, that saw a previously undefeated Rangers struggle to overcome Clydebank in the League Cup, before being hammered 1-5 by Aberdeen in the Semi Final, and suffer 3 defeats in 6 League games.
Rangers finished their League campaign with 6 wins in 7 games in April, with Johnstone scoring in all 7 games.
Despite being unavailable for two months, and playing most of the season in Midfield, Johnstone still finished as Rangers Top Scorer with 21 Goals.

1978, Rangers again win all Three Domestic Trophies, and Derek Johnstone scores a staggering 38 Goals in 47 games
(and he never took a Penalty kick).
With Johnstone's goal tally at 90 Goals in the last three seasons, he was arguably the best all round striker in Britain, and he finally won an International call up as a Centre Forward.
Ally McLeod, brought Johnstone in for the home internationals, and he duly scored Scotland's only goals against Wales, and Northern Ireland, and was then inexplicably not used against England, and the World Cup Finals that followed.

1979, John Greig's first season in charge, where Johnstone 'preferred' to play at centre back
(and has subsequently been accused of lacking drive),
he still weighed in with 16 goals (which was only two less than top scorer Gordon Smith with 18 goals),
as Rangers retained both the League Cup and Scottish Cup, and narrowly lost out on back to back Trebles.

Even in Greig's second season (1979-80), where Rangers finished a disastrous 5th in the League, Johnstone was far and away the top scorer with 21 Goals. (no other player in the team made it into double figures).

Ar
I think the big man has suffered a lot of unfair criticism as a Player over the years, because of his media shite since he retired, but I still think he gave us as much as any player has given us in a decade, certainly in our lifetime.

For the benefit of those too young to have witnessed him as a Rangers Player, here are some highlights of what he did achieve in a Rangers jersey.

1970, Derek Johnstone, as a 16 year old boy, won Rangers their first Trophy in Four and half barren years, scoring the only goal of the game, in the League Cup Final v Celtic.

1971, as a 17 year old, He came off the bench in the Scottish Cup Final to score an 87th minute equaliser against Celtic...and despite this, was not selected for the replay!

1972, As an 18 year old, he was shunted into the back four at the last minute, due to Colin Jackson's injury, and played a pivotal role as a Central Defender in the European Cup Winners Cup Final victory, in Barcelona.

1973, He played in the first ever European Super Cup against the great Ajax side, as a Centre Back, and was given rave reviews by none other than Johan Cruyff.
By the end of that season, Derek Johnstone collected a Scottish Cup winners medal, had made over 100 appearances for Rangers, had been capped 5 times for Scotland, and graced the same field as such greats as Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Rivelino and Jairzhino...............and was still only a Teenager!!!!!!

1974, A barren season for Rangers. Johnstone was surprisingly left out of the starting line up for the League Cup Semi Final, in which a Harry Hood hat trick gave Celtic the win rather easily. Johnstone was reinstated at centre back immediately after this, and would make 43 appearances that season.

1975, Rangers win their first Championship Title in 11 years. Johnstone spent most of that season playing in midfield, and still finished with 16 goals, which was only two shy of centre forward Derek Parlane's total of 18.

1976, Johnstone reverts back to Centre Forward, bangs in 31 goals in 50 games, and Rangers do a clean sweep of domestic honours winning the Treble.
Johnstone scores after 22 Seconds, to give Rangers a 1-0 win at Tannadice to secure the Title.
One week later, he again scores inside the first minute (and another one later), as Rangers defeat Hearts 3-1 in the Scottish Cup Final, to wrap up the Treble.

1977, A barren season that was sandwiched with the two trebles. An injury picked up in a 1-0 win over Aberdeen in mid October, would prove crucial, as Johnstone missed 10 games in the next two months, that saw a previously undefeated Rangers struggle to overcome Clydebank in the League Cup, before being hammered 1-5 by Aberdeen in the Semi Final, and suffer 3 defeats in 6 League games.
Rangers finished their League campaign with 6 wins in 7 games in April, with Johnstone scoring in all 7 games.
Despite being unavailable for two months, and playing most of the season in Midfield, Johnstone still finished as Rangers Top Scorer with 21 Goals.

1978, Rangers again win all Three Domestic Trophies, and Derek Johnstone scores a staggering 38 Goals in 47 games
With Johnstone's goal tally at 90 Goals in the last three seasons, he was arguably the best all round striker in Britain, and he finally won an International call up as a Centre Forward.
Ally McLeod, brought Johnstone in for the home internationals, and he duly scored Scotland's only goals against Wales, and Northern Ireland, and was then inexplicably not used against England, and the World Cup Finals that followed.

1979, John Greig's first season in charge, where Johnstone 'preferred' to play at centre back
he still weighed in with 16 goals (which was only two less than top scorer Gordon Smith with 18 goals),
as Rangers retained both the League Cup and Scottish Cup, and narrowly lost out on back to back Trebles.

Even in Greig's second season (1979-80), where Rangers finished a disastrous 5th in the League, Johnstone was far and away the top scorer with 21 Goals. (no other player in the team made it into double figures).
Was around my time of following Rangers everywhere the 70's was a great time for football loved it

Fortunate enough to see almost all of Big DJ' s career and fair to say 78 onwards was nowhere near as good as what he did prior to then. However without a shadow of a doubt Big DJ is a Rangers legend, not even worthy of debate.

PS Also the best header of a ball I have ever seen, and I'm not just talking about Rangers and Scotland.

Unfair criticism? Never really heard as any criticism about the first 8 years. That said he did let himself go a bit.

An absolute Rangers legend.

Any criticism I've dished out was always in relation to his media contributions-

On the park he was just superb- & I can't think of many others who have been so successful in different positions

I've often wondered what prompted him to insist he wanted to play at CH when he was so good at CF
Whatever it was - he proved himself to be immense wherever he played

I'll remember him for so many goals & classic moments on the park & can easily forget or ignore his gaffs pen pushing or letting his mouth run away with him

A real Rangers legend and a hero of mine.
He was a very talented footballer who if had he lead a professional off field lifestyle could have played easily at the highest level

You're guaranteed a Like from me for any post that highlights the utter magnificence of Derek Johnstone.

Anyone who has read my ramblings on here over the years will know he was my hero.
Derek Johnstone is my favourite ever Rangers player, he scored goals for fun, played in defence and never looked out of place.
They say never meet your heroes or you have a chance of being disappointed, not with DJ I have been in his company. A few times and he is a top guy .

Excellent work putting together Dereks career history , that was a very enjoyable read.

A great player no matter what position he played in, can't help watch the videos such as the one posted earlier from 81 when he scored V Aberdeen and think he really should have been one of the top payers in Europe at that point, he was only 27 then and was already on the way down. For me a better player than Hatley but lacked the desire.

Any criticism I've dished out was always in relation to his media contributions-

On the park he was just superb- & I can't think of many others who have been so successful in different positions

I've often wondered what prompted him to insist he wanted to play at CH when he was so good at CF
Whatever it was - he proved himself to be immense wherever he played

I'll remember him for so many goals & classic moments on the park & can easily forget or ignore his gaffs pen pushing or letting his mouth run away with him

Because he was a big lazy bastard who thought he could take the piss strolling about at the back. By summer 78 his body shape had changed and he knew he was done. Still my all time favourite Ranger.

Big DJ is up there with the best Rangers players in my time which goes back to the mid 60s.Cruyff actually said big DJ would get into that fantastic Ajax team which is some complement.

Another great post MO. I was fortunate to see big DJ’s first team debut against Cowdenbeath when he scored two in September 1970 and all of his Rangers career until his final game against St Mirren (or maybe Clydebank??) in 1986. He is the finest header of the ball I have seen but also one of the most versatile players too. Great goal scorer although I am sure he would acknowledge he was on the end of some fantastic crosses from Willie Johnston and, in particular, Tommy McLean.

Marvellous goalscoring record particularly as he played so many games at centre half and I cannot recall him taking a penalty.

I interviewed him for my 1st book ' 10 matches 10 players ' last year. All the players were great , but he spoke about his ' game ' Bayern Munich at home as if it was yesterday. Subsequently helped me out selling some books at a Xmas market and came down to London for the 1st Rangers v Chelsea Legends game I organised, gave up hours of his time to talk to fans. Still seems to be living the dream . Lucky man

Still a legend. But the summer of 78 changed the story. Demanding to be captain and play at CH. Greig should have none of it. Im pretty certain he wouldnt have tried that on with Jock Wallace.
We ended up playing with a golden striker playing at CH. Goals were few and far between and we were severely damaged in the league in the early weeks of that season.

My late Grandpa missed very few games at Ibrox when he returned from WW2 until his death, late last decade.

He said DJ was the most complete footballer he ever saw at Rangers.

That was good enough for me.

Given that he played centre back and midfield his scoring record is incredible. And he rarely took a penalty.

He was a midfield players dream. They could hit the pass as hard as they liked and Derek would kill it and spray it wide. Thigh belly or chest. He just killed a ball dead.

If only he had DPs attitude to fitness.

Never had pace. Big DJ is an all time favourite of mine but pacey? never.
DJ among other players at Ibrox worked with a sprint coach hired by Rangers in the early 70’s primarily to shorten his stride and give him more pace. It worked and he never looked short of pace until he started putting on the pounds later in the decade. We all have opinions and as far as I’m concerned DJ could do it all.

My favourite Ranger of the 1970's.
As an 8yo I sat in the old North Stand at Hampden and watched a boy turn into a man as he scored the goal that defeated a rampant Celtic side and secured our first trophy in 5 seasons. It was our first goal of the decade against them.

Just over 9 years later and still 6 months short of my 18th birthday, I sat in the Copland Road Stand and watched the same man score our final OF goal of that decade in a 1-1 draw.

What Derek Johnstone achieved in between those two goals was nothing short of amazing.
The finest all rounder I've seen at Ibrox and it was somehow fitting that he bookended the 1970's in OF games with two headed goals.

Because he was a big lazy bastard who thought he could take the piss strolling about at the back. By summer 78 his body shape had changed and he knew he was done. Still my all time favourite Ranger.

He came back from a disappointing WC78 and demanded of our new manager that he be captain and also be played in his preferred position of CH. For me he never ever reached the heights again, the same could be said of the club until Souness in 86, and his career slowly petered out, struggled badly with weight and fitness. If memory serves me correctly was let go by Souness during those first couple of months in charge.

Despite all this I have always retained a soft spot for DJ, although always tinged with what might have been if only he had a bit more drive and desire post '78, as well as keeping his ballooning weight in check.

There's no question Derek's career is a pre & post 1978 job.
He was never the same player after Argentina. The physical change in him was remarkable from May to August. That said,what he achieved post 1978 would beat most other Rangers players,which only serves to highlight how good he was in pre 78 mode.

He was never the same player after Argentina. The physical change in him was remarkable from May to August. That said,what he achieved post 1978 would beat most other Rangers players,which only serves to highlight how good he was in pre 78 mode.
Hard to imagine he was only 24 years old when he returned from the 78 world cup .

My favourite Ranger of the 1970's.
As an 8yo I sat in the old North Stand at Hampden and watched a boy turn into a man as he scored the goal that defeated a rampant Celtic side and secured our first trophy in 5 seasons. It was our first goal of the decade against them.

Just over 9 years later and still 6 months short of my 18th birthday, I sat in the Copland Road Stand and watched the same man score our final OF goal of that decade in a 1-1 draw.

What Derek Johnstone achieved in between those two goals was nothing short of amazing.
The finest all rounder I've seen at Ibrox and it was somehow fitting that he bookended the 1970's in OF games with two headed goals.
Snap.

I loved Derek Johnstone back in the 70s but as pointed out he was only 24 in the summer of 1978.

Willie Henderson was replaced by Tommy McLean when he was only 27.

It was downhill for Jim Baxter after the age of 25 or 26.

There was and probably still is a problem with some Scottish footballers.

Mark Hateley signed for Rangers when he was 29. He had played for Milan and Monaco and accumulated over 30 England caps. For two or three seasons he was our most important player. That's why I would place him above DJ.

If Johnstone had knuckled down and played as striker for the rest of his career, who knows what he might have achieved. At one stage he was close to Kenny Dalglish.

Brian Clough had his eye on him but when he heard about the centre-half issue he immediately took cold feet.

One of my all time favourites, however I would take slight issue with the OP's time line. Season 1975/76 [treble season] DJ did not revert to centre forward, he played mostly in midfield wearing the number eleven shirt. Martin Henderson occupied the CF position for most of the season.

Not many players can play at the back midfield and striker thriller deserves his status as legend. one possible criticism is maybe that he was a little bit lazy and could have gone on longer with more commitment

Was it after Argentina or after Jock Wallace?

I loved Derek Johnstone back in the 70s but as pointed out he was only 24 in the summer of 1978.

Willie Henderson was replaced by Tommy McLean when he was only 27.

It was downhill for Jim Baxter after the age of 25 or 26.

There was and probably still is a problem with some Scottish footballers.

Mark Hateley signed for Rangers when he was 29. He had played for Milan and Monaco and accumulated over 30 England caps. For two or three seasons he was our most important player. That's why I would place him above DJ.

If Johnstone had knuckled down and played as striker for the rest of his career, who knows what he might have achieved. At one stage he was close to Kenny Dalglish.

Brian Clough had his eye on him but when he heard about the centre-half issue he immediately took cold feet.
I loved Hateley and it saddens me that sometimes how good he was gets forgotten, similar to Trevor Steven; nice to see you appreciate him as much as I do.

I loved Hateley and it saddens me that sometimes how good he was gets forgotten, similar to Trevor Steven; nice to see you appreciate him as much as I do.

Not being as good as DJ is no criticism. A bit like saying Mark Walters wasn't as good as Brian Laudrup.

All of them were absolutely brilliant. Just not equally brilliant.

Fantastic post again MO! Sat and watched hours of footage of DJ yesterday. Never tire of it! He brought me some of the sweetest of moments in my time of following Rangers.

The man was a fantastic versatlie player, unbeliveable header of the ball, deadly finisher and is rightly a true Rangers legend!

May 1978. I was approaching my 5th Birthday and was obviously being influenced by the Argentina madness that consumed a nation.

I wanted a Scotland kit for my birthday and told my family that I wanted to be Kenny Dalglish.

My Dad who's not really into football and only really a notional Rangers fan told me that I should really want to be DJ as he was better because he played for Rangers.

A love affair was born. On May 17th I was taken to Edinburgh to a sports shop in Leith Walk to buy the 1978 Scotland top (£5) and shorts (£3). The one with the massive 1978 WC Argentina badge. Mum didn't buy me the socks as she said that my sister had some red ones that I could wear.

That evening DJ scored that header against Wales but better was to come. However, before one of my favourite days ever I can still vividly recall listening to Scotland play Belgium on the radio in our kitchen with my Grandad. It was DJ's 14th and final cap and it was bitterly disappointing.

Then only a few months later, April 1980, my first Rangers game which was the 1-0 victory at The Piggery against Fergie's champions in waiting sheep team. Captain DJ scored the only goal of the game, I wasn't quite seven but it was an unbelievable feeling.

I cried when he didn't come of the bench v Holland. I can still remember his squad number, 19.

Sadly that's about as good as it got for me. I never really took to John McDonald, Colin McAdam, Sandy Clark, Dave Mitchell or Bobby Williamson on account of the fact that they were not DJ.

It probably took Ally's LC Final hat-trick for my younger self to find a new hero although we had moved to England by then.

I met DJ before the Bradford Fire Benefit game at Stamford Bridge. He was back at Rangers but from memory I don't think that he featured in that game. I have a vivid memory of how loved he was by the Chelsea fans even though I'm not sure he ever played a first team game for them.

With the exception of my programme collection I've regrettably thrown out loads of Rangers memorabilia from my childhood. The one thing I know that is definitely in a cupboard at my Mum's is a copy of Rangers, My Team by DJ which was bought at the Rangers shop on The Copland Road in late 1982. My Grandparents lived in Dunfermline and we took a detour via Ibrox so I could buy some stuff before heading back down to our new home in Surrey.

I really wish I had seen peak DJ. With hindsight it was a bit weird having a hero who was to all extents and purposes "past it".

But the greatest ever eleven should be DJ and McCoist up front. With apologies to Mark Hateley.

Back