Rangers History Derek Johnstone 1970's Briefly

May 1978. I was approaching my 5th Birthday and was obviously being influenced by the Argentina madness that consumed a nation.

I wanted a Scotland kit for my birthday and told my family that I wanted to be Kenny Dalglish.

My Dad who's not really into football and only really a notional Rangers fan told me that I should really want to be DJ as he was better because he played for Rangers.

A love affair was born. On May 17th I was taken to Edinburgh to a sports shop in Leith Walk to buy the 1978 Scotland top (£5) and shorts (£3). The one with the massive 1978 WC Argentina badge. Mum didn't buy me the socks as she said that my sister had some red ones that I could wear.

That evening DJ scored that header against Wales but better was to come. However, before one of my favourite days ever I can still vividly recall listening to Scotland play Belgium on the radio in our kitchen with my Grandad. It was DJ's 14th and final cap and it was bitterly disappointing.

Then only a few months later, April 1980, my first Rangers game which was the 1-0 victory at The Piggery against Fergie's champions in waiting sheep team. Captain DJ scored the only goal of the game, I wasn't quite seven but it was an unbelievable feeling.

I cried when he didn't come of the bench v Holland. I can still remember his squad number, 19.

Sadly that's about as good as it got for me. I never really took to John McDonald, Colin McAdam, Sandy Clark, Dave Mitchell or Bobby Williamson on account of the fact that they were not DJ.

It probably took Ally's LC Final hat-trick for my younger self to find a new hero although we had moved to England by then.

I met DJ before the Bradford Fire Benefit game at Stamford Bridge. He was back at Rangers but from memory I don't think that he featured in that game. I have a vivid memory of how loved he was by the Chelsea fans even though I'm not sure he ever played a first team game for them.

With the exception of my programme collection I've regrettably thrown out loads of Rangers memorabilia from my childhood. The one thing I know that is definitely in a cupboard at my Mum's is a copy of Rangers, My Team by DJ which was bought at the Rangers shop on The Copland Road in late 1982. My Grandparents lived in Dunfermline and we took a detour via Ibrox so I could buy some stuff before heading back down to our new home in Surrey.

I really wish I had seen peak DJ. With hindsight it was a bit weird having a hero who was to all extents and purposes "past it".

But the greatest ever eleven should be DJ and McCoist up front. With apologies to Mark Hateley.
He played 3’or 4 games and i know a lot of Chelsea fans who loved him for some reason.

Big Derek as he was always known in his prime was an excellent player for us and is rightly a legend.
The only small blemish was he wanted to play at centre half ( which he was also good at ) which took away a huge amount of his goal threat.
Thankfully he played mostly as centre forward and as well as being a legend he’s a gentleman with time for everyone.

I loved Hateley and it saddens me that sometimes how good he was gets forgotten, similar to Trevor Steven; nice to see you appreciate him as much as I do.
I actually met Trevor Steven resplendent in his Rangers tracksuit in a lift in Glasgow Royal Infirmary....great guy

What's clear in interviews with Derek Johnstone and other players of his era is how important the roles Waddell and Wallace played in their careers. Johnstone had two father figures at Rangers, as did some others, and it's clear the affection stands even to today for those two. Listen to Johnstone telling how Waddell told him he was playing in that debut final and, if I recall correctly, giving him tickets for his family; at sixteen years old, that is like living your fantasy coming true. Johnstone has had an amazing career, and this thread has perhaps been necessary for people who need to appreciate him more. I could listen to interviews of him and others from that era all day. Great thread.

Another great post MO. I was fortunate to see big DJ’s first team debut against Cowdenbeath when he scored two in September 1970 and all of his Rangers career until his final game against St Mirren (or maybe Clydebank??) in 1986. He is the finest header of the ball I have seen but also one of the most versatile players too. Great goal scorer although I am sure he would acknowledge he was on the end of some fantastic crosses from Willie Johnston and, in particular, Tommy McLean.

Marvellous goalscoring record particularly as he played so many games at centre half and I cannot recall him taking a penalty.
His debut as a Ranger was my first ever Rangers game I was and still am hooked. My wife knows where she stands in accordance with the faith

You're guaranteed a Like from me for any post that highlights the utter magnificence of Derek Johnstone.

Anyone who has read my ramblings on here over the years will know he was my hero.
I think you’ve mentioned once or twice.
Actually as I read the op, I automatically thought you were the author.
The op has done you proud.:))

Any criticism I've dished out was always in relation to his media contributions-

On the park he was just superb- & I can't think of many others who have been so successful in different positions

I've often wondered what prompted him to insist he wanted to play at CH when he was so good at CF
Whatever it was - he proved himself to be immense wherever he played

I'll remember him for so many goals & classic moments on the park & can easily forget or ignore his gaffs pen pushing or letting his mouth run away with him
When you can think of one, let me know.

Derek Johnstone is my favourite ever Rangers player, he scored goals for fun, played in defence and never looked out of place.
They say never meet your heroes or you have a chance of being disappointed, not with DJ I have been in his company. A few times and he is a top guy .
This resonates with me.
In fact, he was such an idol of mine, I even copied his body shape when I stopped playing.

It is one of his biggest disappointments that Hateley got the nod before him.
That’s an understatement.
Gutted is the word he used to me to describe how he felt.
My friend told him that to our generation, he’d still be number one.

What's clear in interviews with Derek Johnstone and other players of his era is how important the roles Waddell and Wallace played in their careers. Johnstone had two father figures at Rangers, as did some others, and it's clear the affection stands even to today for those two. Listen to Johnstone telling how Waddell told him he was playing in that debut final and, if I recall correctly, giving him tickets for his family; at sixteen years old, that is like living your fantasy coming true. Johnstone has had an amazing career, and this thread has perhaps been necessary for people who need to appreciate him more. I could listen to interviews of him and others from that era all day. Great thread.
I think it was down to Waddell that DJ was made captain because while John Greig was the manager, Willie Waddell was the boss. Johnstone had been groomed by Waddell for the captain's role when Greig eventually hung up his boots, he roomed with Greig on European trips.
Hindsight being what it is, Sandy Jardine really should've been handed the armband in the summer of 1978, as JG later admitted.
Derek really wasn't captain material, a poor trainer all his days he wasn't the kind to lead by example.
Jock Wallace's departure was a hammer blow for Johnstone's career too. Under Wallace I believe we may have got another 2/3 years of peak DJ. John Greig(strange as it may seem) simply wasn't a strong enough character to be a successful manager at Ibrox.

I think it was down to Waddell that DJ was made captain because while John Greig was the manager, Willie Waddell was the boss. Johnstone had been groomed by Waddell for the captain's role when Greig eventually hung up his boots, he roomed with Greig on European trips.
Hindsight being what it is, Sandy Jardine really should've been handed the armband in the summer of 1978, as JG later admitted.
Derek really wasn't captain material, a poor trainer all his days he wasn't the kind to lead by example.
Jock Wallace's departure was a hammer blow for Johnstone's career too. Under Wallace I believe we may have got another 2/3 years of peak DJ. John Greig(strange as it may seem) simply wasn't a strong enough character to be a successful manager at Ibrox.
Interesting about Grieg, who would have seemed a natural successor as manager one day. Possibly he should have undergone some sort of "apprenticeship" and then become manager. I have read and watched quite a bit of that era, and the influence of Waddell on Johnstone and a few other players is very apparent.

My Dad's pal played against him at 14 or 15 for Glasgow Schools against Dundee Schools. A year later he was on the terrace at Hampden watching him score the winner in the LC Final. Mental how young he was.

Interesting about Grieg, who would have seemed a natural successor as manager one day. Possibly he should have undergone some sort of "apprenticeship" and then become manager. I have read and watched quite a bit of that era, and the influence of Waddell on Johnstone and a few other players is very apparent.
I doubt, serving an apprenticeship would've made Greig a manager.
His problem wasn't a lack of knowledge, he knew the game inside out. He simply couldn't deal with people or make a decision. All the knowledge in the world won't make you a manager if you cannot deal with people.

For what it's worth I believe he would've made a superb No.2

Any criticism I've dished out was always in relation to his media contributions-

On the park he was just superb- & I can't think of many others who have been so successful in different positions

I've often wondered what prompted him to insist he wanted to play at CH when he was so good at CF
Whatever it was - he proved himself to be immense wherever he played

I'll remember him for so many goals & classic moments on the park & can easily forget or ignore his gaffs pen pushing or letting his mouth run away with him
DJ is and always will be a Rangers legend and for what it's worth I think he's a thoroughly decent guy into the bargain.
Yes, he was accused of being and 'Uncle Tom' during his time at Clyde and I guess he didn't help himself at times but latterly he fought our corner and then some. next thing you know he's being bumped from Clyde.

The guy is a Rangers legend. In 1977/78 season when he scored close on 40 goals he was unplayable... Absolutely mind blowing he didn’t feature for Scotland in the World Cup that year.
Wee Tommy McLean made a massive contribution to a lot of DJ’s goals with his pin point crosses..To be fair to Johnstone he always acknowledged McLean’s part.

If Big DJ had never kicked a ball for us again after his 1970 League Cup winning goal v the mhanks (aged just 16 years old) he would always be a Rangers legend in my eyes. His goal ended our 4 and half 'wilderness' years and those years were tough to take.

We could do with another legend like him in the making to score the winning goal for us to secure a trophy and end the current, even worse 'wilderness' years.

Just on the subject of DJ, just how the &^%" was Joe Harper chosen ahead of big DJ in Scotland's second World Cup Group game in Argentina 1978? Big DJ never got a game under the carpet salesman, Ally McLeod at that World Cup. This was despite DJ scoring 41 goals that season and winning 6 trophies, The Treble, The Player of The Year, The Sport's Writers Player of the Year and even Shoot Magazine's Player of The Year!

What a travesty and on reflection Ally McLeod and Scotland deserved exactly what they got in Argentina, 1978 for strange team choices like Harper > Johnstone, poor tactics, prior over-confidence, lack of oppostion team research etc. However failure to pick the form player in Scotland that year must loom large in managerial incredulous decisions.

The only thing DJ ever did wrong in my book was score the early goal against Hearts in the 1976 Scottish Cup Final before I had got into Hampden because of the massive crowds. The referee kicked off the game 2 minutes before 3 pm. I seen his second goal anyway. He was awesome in that game for our first treble in 12 years too.

Last edited:
Great thread. Big Derek has always been my favourite Ranger & probably always will be. He scored all types of goals but was easily the best header of a ball I have ever seen. Tongue in cheek I am convinced that his career went into decline as a result of getting his hair permed in 1978.
I managed to persuade my wife to let me name our first son after him however we had five daughters so that put the kybosh on that.

An outstanding player who could play multiple positions with ease which is unheard of today. My schoolboy recollections was of a player who scored at least one every game. When we got a corner you expected him to get a header on target and score more often than not.

I can still remember the 1980 Scottish Cup Semi Final goal against Aberdeen as if it yesterday, My Dad starting taking me to games in 76 but was probably too young to remember much about big DJ from then

I guess when you consider all the world class sprinters that Dundee has produced, that's fair enough.

Dundee has traditionally had a good athletics history.

Dundee Hawkhill are one of the top athletics clubs in the country mate.

If Big DJ had never kicked a ball for us again after his 1970 League Cup winning goal v the mhanks (aged just 16 years old) he would always be a Rangers legend in my eyes. His goal ended our 4 and half 'wilderness' years and those years were tough to take.

We could do with another legend like him in the making to score the winning goal for us to secure a trophy and end the current, even worse 'wilderness' years.

Just on the subject of DJ, just how the &^%" was Joe Harper chosen ahead of big DJ in Scotland's second World Cup Group game in Argentina 1978? Big DJ never got a game under the carpet salesman, Ally McLeod at that World Cup. This was despite DJ scoring 41 goals that season and winning 6 trophies, The Treble, The Player of The Year, The Sport's Writers Player of the Year and even Shoot Magazine's Player of The Year!

What a travesty and on reflection Ally McLeod and Scotland deserved exactly what they got in Argentina, 1978 for strange team choices like Harper > Johnstone, poor tactics, prior over-confidence, lack of oppostion team research etc. However failure to pick the form player in Scotland that year must loom large in managerial incredulous decisions.

The only thing DJ ever did wrong in my book was score the early goal against Hearts in the 1976 Scottish Cup Final before I had got into Hampden because of the massive crowds. The referee kicked off the game 2 minutes before 3 pm. I seen his second goal anyway. He was awesome in that game for our first treble in 12 years too.
It was Jordan rather than Harper who kept DJ out of the side

Jordan was more than a goal scorer though.
He was more a Hateley to Harper’s McCoist.
Johnstone was almost both!

Kind of what Gordon Smith told me at a sports dinner Tazza.

He said in our 1977/78 Treble season, Johnstone set him up for a lot of his goals but still scored a barrowload himself.

Kind of what Gordon Smith told me at a sports dinner Tazza.

He said in our 1977/78 Treble season, Johnstone set him up for a lot of his goals but still scored a barrowload himself.
Did Johnstone not say in an interview that he thought Smith complimented his game more than, say, Parlane? I might be mistaken but I thought he said this one time in an RTV interview. I had always assumed that he and Parlane formed an attacking partnership.

Obviously before my time, but Jordan has a pretty pathetic goalscoring record for a striker.

It really should have been a No Brainer as to who was the Striker in form in 1978
It made absolutely no sense whatsoever at the time.
It makes even less sense today.

Joe Jordan had made the big move from Leeds to Man Utd that Jan 78', but scored only 3 goals in 16 games for Man Utd, who finished in 10th place in the English Div 1
(4 points behind Leeds Utd in 9th position).
Joe Jordan's goal for Scotland in the 3-1 win v Czechoslovakia (Sep 77'), was the ONLY goal he had scored for Scotland in the previous THREE years.

Derek Johnstone had just scored 38 Goals in 47 games in that 77-78 season.
Derek Johnstone had just won the Treble for the second time in three seasons with Rangers
(Scoring 90 Goals in the last three seasons).
Johnstone's 2 goals in 2 games in 4 days (v N.Ireland and Wales) in the Home Internationals just prior to the World Cup 78' was not only Scotland's only goals scored in the Home Internationals,
it was also twice as many as Jordan had scored in his previous 12 games in the past 3 years for Scotland!

Johnstone was arguably the best all round Striker in Great Britain that season, and was awarded both the SFWA Footballer of the Year, and the PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year (the first to do so), and he certainly posed a much greater goal threat than Jordan.
This was probably Derek Johnstone at his peak, in a career that saw him collect 14 Winners medals.
Joe Jordan, who was at the time struggling to score goals, in a team that was struggling to win points, collected 1 (one) winners medal in his entire 20 year playing career.

Hately was magnificent but for supporter my age it was a travesty that DJ was not in the greatest team. He should also be our record top scorer but for his notion of being a CH.

Sure this has already been said but its the first day of pub opening so i'm not well

It really should have been a No Brainer as to who was the Striker in form in 1978
It made absolutely no sense whatsoever at the time.
It makes even less sense today.

Joe Jordan had made the big move from Leeds to Man Utd that Jan 78', but scored only 3 goals in 16 games for Man Utd, who finished in 10th place in the English Div 1
(4 points behind Leeds Utd in 9th position).
Joe Jordan's goal for Scotland in the 3-1 win v Czechoslovakia (Sep 77'), was the ONLY goal he had scored for Scotland in the previous THREE years.

Derek Johnstone had just scored 38 Goals in 47 games in that 77-78 season.
Derek Johnstone had just won the Treble for the second time in three seasons with Rangers
(Scoring 90 Goals in the last three seasons).
Johnstone's 2 goals in 2 games in 4 days (v N.Ireland and Wales) in the Home Internationals just prior to the World Cup 78' was not only Scotland's only goals scored in the Home Internationals,
it was also twice as many as Jordan had scored in his previous 12 games in the past 3 years for Scotland!

Johnstone was arguably the best all round Striker in Great Britain that season, and was awarded both the SFWA Footballer of the Year, and the PFA Scotland Players' Player of the Year (the first to do so), and he certainly posed a much greater goal threat than Jordan.
This was probably Derek Johnstone at his peak, in a career that saw him collect 14 Winners medals.
Joe Jordan, who was at the time struggling to score goals, in a team that was struggling to win points, collected 1 (one) winners medal in his entire 20 year playing career.
A post as brilliant as they come.

Back