Derek Johnstone - I’ve hung up my Radio Clyde mic after 3 decades

Bonnyloyal

THEY say that all good things come to an end and that is the case with my time at Radio Clyde and on Superscoreboard.
After almost three decades on the airwaves, I’ve decided not to take my seat in front of the microphone this season.
I’m sad to be moving on after so long and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it over the years.
I worked alongside the likes of Jimmy Sanderson, Gerry McNee and Paul Cooney and I met some fantastic people during my time with Clyde.
I have had some great times and it was certainly never dull addressing the big issues with supporters that always had an opinion.
I always called it as I saw it and I was firm but fair when talking about matches, managers, players and some of the issues that have come up in the game over the years.
I am disappointed to be leaving at this time but I wish them all the best for what promises to be another really interesting season in Scottish football.
There will certainly be plenty of talking points

Sounds like a disagreement has been had, a 'leaving by mutual concent' scenario, or Derek leaving on moral grounds.

I notice he doesnt name check any of the current or more recent rabble - one with whom he must've worked with for at least two of those three decades.

You're well out of there DJ.

Last edited:
"I am disappointed to be leaving at this time"

Sounds like he was given the boot or there was a disagreement.
I notice he didn't mention Keevans, who he has worked with for donkey's.
Laterally he was only on one or two days because of Rangers duties anyway.
To be honest, he is a Rangers legend but a pretty poor pundit.
I remember countless times fans would phone in and ask who Rangers should play in certain positions and his stock answer would be, "Well, the manager sees them in training every day..."
Not exactly giving his position on matters. His analysis was poor as well.
He was better suited to co-commentary when Clyde still had the commentary rights.

I believe Johnstone like all of them are independent contractors, and are no longer employed by the station themselves anymore so he and the others can appear on whatever shows they like.Rocksport BBC whatever.

It does sound though something has happened which I sure will come out in the goodness of time.DJ now appearing with Tom now on RTV so we will at least see and hear him still.

As for Clyde they are leaning once again heavily in favor of the darkside as far punditry goes.
Listened to the headlines today on SSB and then discovered the pundits were Fraser Wishart and St Boo captain McGinn
And yes he was very impartial talking about our european run.Not!!

Sounds like a disagreement has been had, a 'leaving by mutual concent' scenario, or Derek leaving on moral grounds.

I notice he doesnt name check any of the current or more recent rabble - one with whom he must've worked with for at least two of those three decades.

You're well out of there DJ.
I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering why he hadn't been on. As you say the fact he doesn't mention that rat Keevins etc. tells a tale in itself.

I only caught the later part of Derek's career as a young fan, but you can read about and see on video how incredible he was; I only wish there more footage of him and many others in the famous treble sides. His autobiography is interesting and has some nice anecdotes from the time he signed and then became a club legend.

Last edited:
I only caught the later part of Derek's career, but you can and see on video how incredible he was; I only wish there more footage of him and many others in the famous treble sides. His autobiography is interesting and has some nice anecdotes from the time he signed and then became a club legend.

My favourite player as a kid, I have never seen a player as good with the head as DJ. He was still pretty good with the ball at his feet also.

his unwillingness to defend our club when the shíte on the shoe of humanity were in a perpetual feeding frenzy disgusts me.

I’m too young to remember DJ in his pomp,my only memories of him are
of the coward that rarely defended Rangers and too often pandered to the tims.

He worked for a show on and off for 4 decades that was the spawning ground for a lot of the shíte that we have to put up with forever now.

ps I totally understand that a lot of Bears will only want to remember the player in his pomp, for me he was a disgrace on that show. I remember in our darkest hours Guidi getting tore into us “ 2 bob club etc “ and all you could hear was DJ chuckling away in the background like a buffoon.

The same people saying they are happy he has stopped it are probably the same that complain theres no rangers leaning pundits. More likely to be replaced by a tim.

So fućking be it, it’s a tim-show.

They could just get “ wee Sandy “ to replace D J, he knows the drill.

Well done DJ. Glad you are out of that cess pit. Used to like SSB but find myself angry more often than not listening to the overall bias towards the Pedos. How DJ suffered them do long I don't know. Hopefully see him on RTV more often now.

DJ sat back and said nothing when lie after lie was told about us on their pathetic show, if he has decided to show a bit of balls and chuck it its too little too late, I’m sure Barry or his brother will step up to the plate for them.

THEY say that all good things come to an end and that is the case with my time at Radio Clyde and on Superscoreboard.
After almost three decades on the airwaves, I’ve decided not to take my seat in front of the microphone this season.
I’m sad to be moving on after so long and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it over the years.
I worked alongside the likes of Jimmy Sanderson, Gerry McNee and Paul Cooney and I met some fantastic people during my time with Clyde.
I have had some great times and it was certainly never dull addressing the big issues with supporters that always had an opinion.
I always called it as I saw it and I was firm but fair when talking about matches, managers, players and some of the issues that have come up in the game over the years.
I am disappointed to be leaving at this time but I wish them all the best for what promises to be another really interesting season in Scottish football.
Booted off more like .. more room for opus dei

I guarantee he won’t be replaced with an articulate and intelligent Rangers man.

They will seek out a lobotomy candidate who’s grateful for the work (tugs forelock).

My favourite player as a kid, I have never seen a player as good with the head as DJ. He was still pretty good with the ball at his feet also.
The 1970 LCF was the first Trophy I seen Rangers win. (I wasn’t allowed to go to the 1966 SC Final)

I can still remember him scoring that header when he was only16 years old. Also remember him scoring an amazing header for Scotland against maybe Wales at Hamden, in possibly the Home Internationals.

" I am disappointed to be leaving at this time " sounds like I didn't really want to go, prob replace Big DJ with Hartson or Sutton should have left anyway when that rhat McCulloch left him hung out to dry with that prick Sutton

Clyde pay buttons.
ZygzVuq.jpg

"Oh no they don't"
:))

I not quite old enough to remember DJ as a player, I was certainly at games he played in at the very end of his career but was too young to remember him.

So, I’m afraid that - old footage aside - to me he has only ever been the chuckling, timid “token” Rangers representative on a network that has grown increasingly to despite us in the past 20 years. I understand he has to earn a living, but as fans we wanted someone to stand up for us in the media and, really until the last couple of years at most, he never did. It’s about a decade since I listened to Clyde, but his occasional appearances in the written press gave that same sense of appeasement and timidity I remember from the radio.

It’s clear a line was crossed for him. I’ve heard about the Sutton incident but never heard it myself. He recent appearances on RTV and in the press have been a little more “assertive” in our favour, but it felt a bit too little and a lot too late to me.

" I am disappointed to be leaving at this time " sounds like I didn't really want to go, prob replace Big DJ with Hartson or Sutton should have left anyway when that rhat McCulloch left him hung out to dry with that prick Sutton
“...I’ve decided not to take my seat in front of the microphone this season.”

Suggests otherwise.

The day they brought on sutton to try give horrible abuse to DJ and not one backed him up is the day he should have left.
That was excruciating to listen to, I think it was Gerry McCulloch hosting and allowing it to happen. A real watershed moment when Scottish media became crass, classless, unprofessional, mentally challenged propaganda.

That was excruciating to listen to, I think it was Gerry McCulloch hosting and allowing it to happen. A real watershed moment when Scottish media became crass, classless, unprofessional, mentally challenged propaganda.

I've heard about this but I don't know exactly what happened. What was the argument?

Back