Derek Johnstone - I’ve hung up my Radio Clyde mic after 3 decades

THEY say that all good things come to an end and that is the case with my time at Radio Clyde and on Superscoreboard.
After almost three decades on the airwaves, I’ve decided not to take my seat in front of the microphone this season.
I’m sad to be moving on after so long and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it over the years.
I worked alongside the likes of Jimmy Sanderson, Gerry McNee and Paul Cooney and I met some fantastic people during my time with Clyde.
I have had some great times and it was certainly never dull addressing the big issues with supporters that always had an opinion.
I always called it as I saw it and I was firm but fair when talking about matches, managers, players and some of the issues that have come up in the game over the years.
I am disappointed to be leaving at this time but I wish them all the best for what promises to be another really interesting season in Scottish football.
There will certainly be plenty of talking points
You should have left a few years ago when that micky fukker McCulloch set you up with the ''interview'' with Mutton Face..you should have walked over and punched the kunt in the mouth...Good luck big man,one of the nicest guys you could meet

Interesting that he’s being moved on and it does sound like that, when the past couple of years he has actually grown a set and had a go back at the many shrieking Timpanzees both on the show or the end of line.
Maybe I’m getting dewey eyes but I liked DJ and wish him all the best.

Can only imagine that DJ needed the money he was getting from Radio Clyde, even if it wasn’t very much. Difficult for come up with any other reason why anyone with a Rangers background, could be comfortable working behind enemy lines.

You would normally refer to a season, either at the end of last or before the start of this one. Leaving a randomly a few games in is a bit suspicious.

DJ suited the broadcaster because he was a friendly, chuckling guy that never took anything too seriously. What made him easy listening also made him easy to slot in to fill the 'this side of the city' quota without being a threat.

You can tell he loves football but his knowledge is pretty basic. I loved listening to him as kid on a Saturday, driving around in the car with my old man and hearing them all laugh and joke.

However, he barely defended us. It's easy to gloss over and forget now, but the wolves circling and sticking the knife in at that time was horrendous. He wasn't alone, very few did anything. Maybe they felt sticking up for us would look biased or too obvious. Not sure that's enough given the circumstances.

A few years before the Sutton disgrace, and I mean disgrace - he was told forcefully when trying to articulate a point "Shut up, Derek!" by Guidi and he just laughed it off, when really he should've been over the table at him.

They disrespected him too many times because he was a nice guy and a bit of a gentlemen. He's well shot of them in truth.

Big DJ was and is a Rangers legend. I'm not having that Uncle Tom bullshit. Always done his best to defend us as a club even in the face of the lunatic fringe. On numerous occasions he was pissing into the wind but stood his ground. Nobody has opinions that everyone agrees with all the time, but Derek was willing to put forward his. Even if he was in a minority of one in the studio. I wish him nothing but good luck in anything he does from now on , and I remember fondly the number of times he had me out of my seat cheering after another Rangers' goal. Thanks for the memories Big Man.

The same people saying they are happy he has stopped it are probably the same that complain theres no rangers leaning pundits. More likely to be replaced by a tim.
He was the reason I listened to it,was always good value for money,the only one who would call it fair and square and also his anacdotes, don't know how many Rangers fans listen in,but I reckon with DJ leaving they'll turn off. Better off out of there anyway and doing his ambassador bit for the club,might even here him on Rangers TV.

The 1970 LCF was the first Trophy I seen Rangers win. (I wasn’t allowed to go to the 1966 SC Final)

I can still remember him scoring that header when he was only16 years old. Also remember him scoring an amazing header for Scotland against maybe Wales at Hamden, in possibly the Home Internationals.
I remember that header against Wales. It was the Home Internationals in 1978 immediately prior to the World Cup in Argentina. Seemed like he headed the ball from something like the 18yd line and it went into the net like a bullet. He also scored something like 40 goals for Rangers that season. Still amazing that he was the only outfield player not to kick a ball during that disastrous World Cup campaign.

As per my previous post and your reply......... ‘anything of substance’
I take football seriously, but it doesn't extend to verbatim pearls of wisdom from the thoughts of DJ, sorry. But, whenever I've listened to him I've rather enjoyed his co-commentary, and if he gives interviews I find him an interesting guy with a great deal of experience if the Club at particular times. Is that okay?

I remember that header against Wales. It was the Home Internationals in 1978 immediately prior to the World Cup in Argentina. Seemed like he headed the ball from something like the 18yd line and it went into the net like a bullet. He also scored something like 40 goals for Rangers that season. Still amazing that he was the only outfield player not to kick a ball during that disastrous World Cup campaign.
Don't think him and Ally McLeod got on with each other

I take football seriously, but it doesn't extend to verbatim pearls of wisdom from the thoughts of DJ, sorry. But, whenever I've listened to him I've rather enjoyed his co-commentary, and if he gives interviews I find him an interesting guy with a great deal of experience if the Club at particular times. Is that okay?
Not particularly- my original point stands.

So fućking be it, it’s a tim-show.

They could just get “ wee Sandy “ to replace D J, he knows the drill.
See when we are up against it from every angle, the strategy should be to gain some power in every area. Letting things be run by Tim's will only go against us in the long run.

DJ sat back and said nothing when lie after lie was told about us on their pathetic show, if he has decided to show a bit of balls and chuck it its too little too late, I’m sure Barry or his brother will step up to the plate for them.

It is never too late to see the light regardless!

A guy scores a cup winning goal at sixteen; he gets a CWC winners medal, also as a teenager; he played under Waddell and Wallace, and alongside Greig, Jardine, and Dave Smith, but lacks substance? We'll agree to disagree.

His punditry does.

Big DJ was and is a Rangers legend. I'm not having that Uncle Tom bullshit. Always done his best to defend us as a club even in the face of the lunatic fringe. On numerous occasions he was pissing into the wind but stood his ground. Nobody has opinions that everyone agrees with all the time, but Derek was willing to put forward his. Even if he was in a minority of one in the studio. I wish him nothing but good luck in anything he does from now on , and I remember fondly the number of times he had me out of my seat cheering after another Rangers' goal. Thanks for the memories Big Man.

BoIIocks.

His punditry does.

His punditry lack no more, or less substance than anyone else we hear on the radio, or see on the TV. Having said that, I would not be shocked if he turned up on Sky as part of the punditry team for next seasons SPFL, when Sky have exclusive rights to all out games.

See when we are up against it from every angle, the strategy should be to gain some power in every area. Letting things be run by Tim's will only go against us in the long run.

Are you fućking high?

Clyde is done, the tims that show and control that narrative.

If you think that the Rangers support can force change at R C you’re not living in the real world.

Fully pursuesny broadcasting breaches

Target their sponsors (by legal means), there’s not much else we can do re Clyde.

Last edited:
He was the reason I listened to it,was always good value for money,the only one who would call it fair and square and also his anacdotes, don't know how many Rangers fans listen in,but I reckon with DJ leaving they'll turn off. Better off out of there anyway and doing his ambassador bit for the club,might even here him on Rangers TV.
Having RTV is all well and good however we need to control the narrative in the mainstream media

Are you fućking high?

Clyde is done, they run that show and control that narrative.

If you think that the Rangers support can force change at R C you’re not living in the real world.

Fully pursuesny broadcasting breaches

Target their sponsors (by legal means), there’s not much else we can do re Clyde.
It's not just about clyde. It's about media as a whole. Newspaper columns etc. Its the whole package that gets you places. As soon as something bad happens for us its; sportscene, tom english and michael Stewart twitter rants, chris sutton and michael Stewart columns, James dornan tweets. You see the pattern here. We need to be part of it the pattern.

Alex Rae is indeed hopeless, would be better with a traffic cone.
I don't listen to him very much, but when I have heard him he strikes me as someone who isn't smart enough to robustly retain an independent thought process but otherwise cunning enough to fall into line with those who pay him his tainted tenners.

I suspect any ex-Ranger who holds robust independent views that might challenge the accepted agenda-driven narratives of Scottish football isn't going to pass through any vetting process.

The 1970 LCF was the first Trophy I seen Rangers win. (I wasn’t allowed to go to the 1966 SC Final)

I can still remember him scoring that header when he was only16 years old. Also remember him scoring an amazing header for Scotland against maybe Wales at Hamden, in possibly the Home Internationals.

Yes outjumped McNeill at the Rangers end
Big McNeill never spoke about that either?

Only one man was Superscoreboard and that was Jimmy Sanderson

If I was to tune intae any sport radio station these days ( and its only for minutes while driving) it'll be talksport Hawksby & Jacobs Durham & Gough.

The rest can spin on it.

Anyone see a pattern . . .
Keevins - scum
Guidi - scum
McCulloch - scum
Sutton - scum
Cooney - scum
and don’t get me started on that prick Dalziel.

Back