Derek Johnstone

Porrohman

Rangers Legend, listend to the podcast with open goal and great to hear DJ talking about his love for Rangers and his story about signing for us, a true Ranger and Simply The Best, would love to hear any stories from fans about him, i first met him as a shy ten year old at tannadice , that was me not him...and i aske him for his autograpgh and still have it till this this day, true blue DJ and just behind my top 3 of Super Davie Cooper Super Ally and Super DJ

He was our player of the year and I sat next to him. great company , he should have been in our all time greatest 11, his DVD is great viewing, he scored numerous goals with both feet and outstanding headed goals, was also a very capable centre half and seemingly a decent goalkeeper if needed.
he was some player... this years @David Edgar H&H Hoggie inspired #Top50 players poll will give some really good discussion points

Rangers Legend, listend to the podcast with open goal and great to hear DJ talking about his love for Rangers and his story about signing for us, a true Ranger and Simply The Best, would love to hear any stories from fans about him, i first met him as a shy ten year old at tannadice , that was me not him...and i aske him for his autograpgh and still have it till this this day, true blue DJ and just behind my top 3 of Super Davie Cooper Super Ally and Super DJ
Brilliant.... my early memories...LC final as a10 yr old.

DJ was some player wherever he played.

A true Rangers man

He was our player of the year and I sat next to him. great company , he should have been in our all time greatest 11, his DVD is great viewing, he scored numerous goals with both feet and outstanding headed goals, was also a very capable centre half and seemingly a decent goalkeeper if needed.
There was a period at Ibrox in DJ's career when he was probably the best player we had for most positions on the park.
He really was that good.

Oh ...and yes, he should always be in our greatest post war eleven.

Shortly after that LC final a few of us decided to go to a reserve match at Ibrox because a mate‘s younger brother was playing for us. For some reason (frost I think) the Ibrox game was called off so we decided to wait for said younger brother then go along to Love St where the 1st Team were playing St Mirren that afternoon. Younger brother duly appears with DJ in tow and, being at a loose end, both lads decide Love St sounds OK and off we go.
As soon as we set foot inside Love St the Gers fans spotted DJ and he (and we) were surrounded by a swarm of them looking for autographs etc. To be fair, once the game started the clamour quietened down and DJ did get a bit of peace to watch it.
Closest I’ve ever been to football fame!:)

If he had pace he'd have took on the world ,brilliant player .

Any time anyone dismisses the worth of the League Cup, I think back to that leap.
We were slap bang in the middle of a nightmare, and he gave us hope...and the trophy.
I dismiss it, time moves on.

SAF & Wenger would test younger players in the English version, I always liked their big time thinking.

Shortly after that LC final a few of us decided to go to a reserve match at Ibrox because a mate‘s younger brother was playing for us. For some reason (frost I think) the Ibrox game was called off so we decided to wait for said younger brother then go along to Love St where the 1st Team were playing St Mirren that afternoon. Younger brother duly appears with DJ in tow and, being at a loose end, both lads decide Love St sounds OK and off we go.
As soon as we set foot inside Love St the Gers fans spotted DJ and he (and we) were surrounded by a swarm of them looking for autographs etc. To be fair, once the game started the clamour quietened down and DJ did get a bit of peace to watch it.
Closest I’ve ever been to football fame!:)
Cool story

We played Ajax in the first European Super Cup and after the tie Cruyff said if there was one Ranger he would want in his team it would be DJ.

Met him in 76 at lesser Hampden as they were training for the queens jubilee match vs England .Signed autographs and was such a nice guy. Was a glasgow select vs England and impossible to get a ticket for the game. We sneaked into the last 20 mins when the gates opened

The RTV Christmas Advert voiced over by DJ is absolutely magic, the guy is a legend up there with any of the great names in the history of our Football Club.

My old man always says DJ is the best striker ever to play for the Gers and Ally only broke his record because Johnston played half his career at centre half

Big DJ must have been seriously, absoluely gutted not to be in The Rangers Greatest XI. If I am not wrong, I think that DJ missed out at the expense of Mark Hateley. DJ knew he was never going to knock Ally MCoist out of the first striker, best XI pedestal.

However, great and committed as big Mark was, and he was phenomenal for us for many of the 9 in a row years, deep down inside as an older supporter I still think big DJ was the better servant for us longevity wise. He could easily have been a great Centre Back for us too. He was one of our greatest ever Striker's but very versatile as well. As regards the art of goalscoring heading ability there isn't much between him and Hateley.

There again a generation or two before me are going to make a case for Bob.McPhail and other forwards from their era.

Last edited:
Big DJ must have been seriously, absoluely gutted not to be in The Rangers Greatest XI. If I am not wrong, I think that DJ missed out at the expense of Mark Hateley. DJ knew he was never going to knock Ally MCoist out of the first striker, best XI pedestal.

However, great and committed as big Mark was, and he was phenomenal for us for many of the 9 in a row years, deep down inside as an older supporter I still think big DJ was the better servant for us longevity wise. He could easily have been a great Centre Back for us too. He was one of our greatest ever Striker's but very versatile as well. As regards the art of goalscoring heading ability there isn't much between him and Hateley.

There again a generation or two before me are going to make a case for Bob.McPhail and other forwards from their era.
A case can be made for Jim Forrest alongside Johnstone for our greatest ever team. It's a generation thing though.

Rangers did the dirty on him, well Mr Waddell did, he was going up to see Mr Waddell regarding his contract and John Greig told him to ask for £100 , yes £100 a week, I think he was on £60 a week, he said you'll no get it ,you might get £80. DJ was called into the office and asked how his Mother and father were , then told that Rangers were thinking of letting him go, then they asked him what wages he was on, he told them £60, Waddell turned to Jock Wallace and asked if he thought he should keep DJ for another year, Jock said yes, they then offered him a new contract for the exact same money he was on, he couldnt wait to sign it. He met John Greig right after that and Greig asked him , how did you get on son, he said , OK Mr Greig..
I can't remember the exact figures for his wages but he was kept on the same money bymaking him believe they were wanting to sell him.

Are you for real?

A case can be made for Jim Forrest alongside Johnstone for our greatest ever team. It's a generation thing though.
Loved Jim Forrest always seemed to score against the mhanks. However maybe even a case for Colin Stein too. A ECWC medal winner.

Best player in Britain for a few seasons in the 70s. To think he was just about done by the age of 27 or 28, though, is very sad.

The RTV Christmas Advert voiced over by DJ is absolutely magic, the guy is a legend up there with any of the great names in the history of our Football Club.

Its absolutely magic. i get goosebumps every time i see it.

When big JG waves the kids on to the park. Yeah onions

Way before Hateley but it is a timing thing. Sadly.

Love big DJ ,

I first saw Rangers about 77 , so I saw most home games when we won the 2nd treble, but was too young to appreciate it , so the best of DJ , John Greig, wee doddie, Tommy McClean , bomber Jackson & tam Forsyth was lost on me a bit . I do feel I saw the best of Sandy Jardine , although some of that was against Rangers .

I saw Hately & super Ally , they were phenomenal together. IMO , they are the right front 2 in the all time Rangers 11.

Rangers did the dirty on him, well Mr Waddell did, he was going up to see Mr Waddell regarding his contract and John Greig told him to ask for £100 , yes £100 a week, I think he was on £60 a week, he said you'll no get it ,you might get £80. DJ was called into the office and asked how his Mother and father were , then told that Rangers were thinking of letting him go, then they asked him what wages he was on, he told them £60, Waddell turned to Jock Wallace and asked if he thought he should keep DJ for another year, Jock said yes, they then offered him a new contract for the exact same money he was on, he couldnt wait to sign it. He met John Greig right after that and Greig asked him , how did you get on son, he said , OK Mr Greig..
I can't remember the exact figures for his wages but he was kept on the same money bymaking him believe they were wanting to sell him.
When Greig was manager?
Or Wallace?

Was one of the best strikers in Britain in the mid seventies, was lucky enough to meet him several times at our player of the year dances too during that period.
Always made time for photos autographs etc.

One of my top 5 players of all time.

Back