Derek McInnes turning us down

IF it was him that turned an offer down I genuinely think he just feared he'd shit the bed, be found out and tank out in six months. He wasn't good enough and I think a part of him knew it. Why would he leave the Sheep where he can bubble along doing next to nothing, and throw the kitchen sink at beating us once a year and be heralded as a genius - why would he risk that golden seat. He's the next Craig Levein and will get the same stays of execution time and time again.

A bullet dodged with him, he's too negative and he prefers his sides to play hoof ball, rather than football.

we were lucky to avoid him and have landed in a much better place. The story I heard is that he was not convinced about the £ he would be given. Seems slightly understandable as SG has had to work with less of a budget than them.

I thought it was well known that he didn’t think he was up to Rangers standard and thus didn’t want to fail?

Massive bullet dodged. Wasn’t keen on him coming at the time but there didn’t seem to be many options at the time. Gerrard was out of nowhere!

The bottom line is he would have had to win something with us why leave a job you don’t actually need to win something.

There were all sorts of rumours flying around.

Remember one being that he took a look at Allen's shortlist for January and thought there's no way I can do a job if that's the standard.

Tbf with guys like Greg Docherty, Sean Goss, Jason Cummings, Russell Martin, making Declan John permanent on it, if it was true, I don't blame him.

Derek McInnes is an Aberdeen manager. That's his level and that's the best job he can realistically hope to (relatively) succeed in. To give him his dues he at least recognised that but from our point of view he would have been a disaster for us and would have been long since relieved of his duties by now had he taken the job in December 2017.

As it turned out we got Steven Gerrard five months later. A Rangers level manager and will one day manage Liverpool. There is no comparison between him and Derek McInnes.

I know I’m going over old ground here, appreciate there will lots who don’t care too as it worked out spectacularly for us:D

What were the real reasons for him turning us down? Was it just a straightforward shit the bed case, when he realised the scale and size of the job he would have been taking on?

I’m not convinced that was the case, there must have been more too it.
He is a shitebag. And thank god he realised that he would never have coped at Ibrox.
Has low enough standards that Aberdeen can accept. We wouldn’t have.

Mcinnes comes across as a right miserable/boring fooker and to be fair to him his team emulate that style on the pitch.

So glad he ended up rejecting us.

Few well placed sources saying he all but agreed it and then when back up to Aberdeen and made a statement saying he was staying there - the first our board heard about it. And the statement we made just after about him, I don’t think that was far wrong.

Unprofessional cvnt.

He bottled it. The team for the upcoming game had already been picked (I forget who that was against) and at last minute went back on his word hence the ultimately scathing statement that came from Rangers.

Will leave Aberdeen this summer IMO.

Have heard Smith advised him very strongly not to touch the job. Told him we were a complete shambles on and off the pitch, and that the board were at loggerheads with each other. Was strange him knocking it back as it was apparently his dream to manage us.

He will be away from the sheep land in the summer now that carpet heed is no longer chairman and will end up Division 1 down south not winning anything.

McInnes knows his level and even though he’d have loved to, the Rangers job was way out his ability. It’d have been a disaster for all.

Never liked or rated the chump - always 2nd in a two horse race is one thing the fact his tactics are neanderthal to say the least is another.
stand Back and think where we might have been had he taken the job - it sends a shiver down my spine thinking about it.

I know I’m going over old ground here, appreciate there will lots who don’t care too as it worked out spectacularly for us:D

What were the real reasons for him turning us down? Was it just a straightforward shit the bed case, when he realised the scale and size of the job he would have been taking on?

I’m not convinced that was the case, there must have been more too it.
He is an absolute shite bag (thank feck) End of story

Wasn’t it greed ? He was meant to get a house as part of his contract if he stayed and saw out his contract and the Wig wouldn’t budge on the deal so he stayed

When Gerrard went in I thought he had no chance and still wanted a McInnes older head. Thank Christ I'm just a punter and someone else does the recruitment. The entertainment we get even when they are rubbish is still better than anything we would see off del boy

Thank god he did. I detest him now, he's not far behind that prick Gordon Daziel as to who's the biggest throbber

I actually think he’d have been an improvement on Pedro.

He will never win the league, not with Aberdeen and not with Rangers. I very much doubt we’d have qualified for the Europa League in the last two seasons either.

We’d finish second every season and probably lose 4 games against Celtic a season.

I work with loads of sheep fans. When they thought he was joining us, it was all head in hands stuff but over the last year they've done a complete u-turn and can't wait to get rid of him. I love winding them up by saying that McInnes couldn't handle the thought of going to a giant team and is a wee team manager.

By %^*&, they don't half get upset! :))

Looking back now then to where we are now its incredible the job Gerrard has done, those were dark days defeats at Ibrox to Hamilton and St Johnstone to the embarrassment of the manager fiasco to then Murty getting it until the end of the season

Back