DHL want €47 as import duty and vat for Champions top.

This is the side of Brexit that a lot of the public are only beginning to see. It is a logistical nightmare.

Castore would have had to pay an export declaration fee. You as the buyer would have to pay the import duty and vat. We have seen it in our business where customers have not realised this and basically just left which results in us being charged to return it. Many of our customers have temporarily stopped shipping to the Republic of Ireland as not worth it.

I read an article about small online independents not being aware enough and almost ending their business because of all the extra fees incurred when sending out something that cost £10.

Just got the text this morning saying it'll be out for delivery today but I need to pay 47 quid first, rang DHL and they've said there was no declaration with the package so customs have had to estimate.

No declaration paperwork is an absolute joke from Castore. I'm in the EU.

Doesn't help that Castore literally don't answer emails.
That’s Brexit.

There is a standard approach that has been agreed. Remember all this press around the negotiations last year and the signing of the trade agreement with the EU? This is what it was about and how it should be implemented. The problem is that businesses were not and are still not prepared.
The EU haven’t singed off on it yet, they have until the end of the month to sign it off, but are reluctant to do it citing our infringements over goods sent to NI from the rest of the UK.
If they don’t sign off on it then expect it to get worse.

Could be fun and games if and when we start travelling abroad again. In theory anything you buy in Spain now has to be declared on your return to the UK. If you buy a Barca top in Spain for example for 100 euro, you should be paying 20 euro at customs on the way back into the UK. This would really slow down things at border control and customs. I doubt many people are aware of this and will unwittingly be law breakers.

True, but the same applies to anywhere, and of course those of us who have visited the US often stop at the red channel to let them know all the cheap stuff we have bouht and want to declare B-)

I ordered a Broussia Dortmund shirt on Sunday. Dreading to see how much I'm going to have to pay before it's delivered to me!

Thanks for the extra clarity. Hopefully helps the OP. Reading your post, and others, this is clearly still a bit of a minefield.
My work had the same issue at the start of the year with clients being charged a fortune to receive goods. Another issue was that goods were being held up as even the couriers like DHL and DPD weren't setup properly regarding paperwork.
We've got around it at the moment by using a DPD hub in the Netherlands. However this means goods to Ireland from the UK go via Netherlands then back the way to Ireland. Seems a loophole and who knows how long that will last.

This is the side of Brexit that a lot of the public are only beginning to see. It is a logistical nightmare.

Castore would have had to pay an export declaration fee. You as the buyer would have to pay the import duty and vat. We have seen it in our business where customers have not realised this and basically just left which results in us being charged to return it. Many of our customers have temporarily stopped shipping to the Republic of Ireland as not worth it.

I read an article about small online independents not being aware enough and almost ending their business because of all the extra fees incurred when sending out something that cost £10.

Yet I buy stuff from the USA all the time with no issues.

The EU wants this stuff to be annoying - to teach us a lesson/ discourage others from leaving.

I think this normally works with the customer being the importer, where the import declaration is performed on the customers behalf by the customs agent appointed by the supplier.

the duty and import VAT is calculated within the sales price, and is passed to the customs agent by the supplier who pays on behalf of the customer.

Obviously I don’t know how it works in this specific case, but worth checking it.

Im not sure this is Castores fault. I sent my auld man a top, a photo and the new mygers scarf for his birthday two weeks back. Did the full declaration of what was inside and he got hit for €60 with incorrect paperwork cited. Well it was the paperwork the postal company had?
It’s a consequence of Brexit . We have all had similar experiences when buying from Canada eg .

some suppliers try to understate the value as a way round it I think .

Could this one be a product from outside EU and UK so let’s say Turkey and then provided from outside EU in this case UK and hence duties are due.

to the OP is it maybe possible for Castore to take an order through Belfast store and supply you within the EU and bypassing these controls and duty .

Terrible, mate.

I would pay 3x the price of the Gers merchan in taxes and shipping if I didn't have someone from Scotland to bring to Brazil. Luckily I have a Sheep friend that's works offshore in the same unit here down Americas...

DHL are terrible, depending on your location they may not have an actual broker who deals with the paperwork and the recipient gets stung.

Just got the text this morning saying it'll be out for delivery today but I need to pay 47 quid first, rang DHL and they've said there was no declaration with the package so customs have had to estimate.

Is it an option to get a friend to buy in uk and have it deleivered there , then they send it on as a gift so no duty is paid ?

Didn't you have the option to pay import taxes when you ordered?
When shipping to Canada I tick that box it adds cost on, but nowhere near what you are paying plus if I order over a certain amount I get free delivery so offsets it a bit.
Either way if you select to pay when ordering you see upfront costs and can decide to commit or not. This is not Castore's fault

DHL are shocking for sending items to the EU and have not prepared properly for Brexit.

I'm sure Bill and Ben will address this with a statement that's been written up on Apple Notes shortly.

Speaking of which, did anything ever come of those monthly supporter Q&A sessions they repeatedly went on about last summer? Surely that would be the perfect forum to discuss such issues.

With such a worldwide fanbase surely its incumbent on Castore to have distribution warehouses in other regions, such as the EU.

Such a poor, poor experience.
You thought that through? they aren't Nike or Adidas. So they have to set up separate warehouses for the hundreds of fans in other countries? Want postage or the cost of the item to increase? Because that will happen if they follow your plan.

Must be kick castore day today for some reason.

You thought that through? they aren't Nike or Adidas. So they have to set up separate warehouses for the hundreds of fans in other countries? Want postage or the cost of the item to increase? Because that will happen if they follow your plan.

Having a dispatch centre for the EU is a worthy investment imo, it covers an entire continent. Relax.

Having a dispatch centre for the EU is a worthy investment imo, it covers an entire continent. Relax.
Let us know if Castore get back to you and what they say if you can mate. It looks like this might be, at least partly, a Brexit-related issue rather than Castore's. Nevertheless, I'd be suggesting to them that their website should contain some info on potential charges for EU deliveries.

The quality for many has been shoddy and that is me being extremely kind. The customer service if you can call it that has been shambolic at times. They took the contract. They took the publicity. They took the money. They can take the quite rightful flack on many issues imo.

Let us know if Castore get back to you and what they say if you can mate. It looks like this might be, at least partly, a Brexit-related issue rather than Castore's. Nevertheless, I'd be suggesting to them that their website should contain some info on potential charges for EU deliveries.
It is 100% the shipper at fault.

Last edited:
It’s Castore not the EU.

They obviously have not marked their parcel properly.
That would appear to potentially be part of the problem, as I did suggest in my post. However, there's plenty other posts about folk having to pay tax and VAT on goods that DID have the appropriate Customs Declaration.

The website states that no added charges will be applied.

You have two choices.

Refuse the delivery and Castore will send it again with the proper delivery details/type.

Pay the charge and Castore will refund you.

I would go into DHL website and delay delivery, say you are on holiday.
Contact Castore and explain the situation.

So you can verify that they will foot the charges.

The website states that no added charges will be applied.

You have two choices.

Refuse the delivery and Castore will send it again with the proper delivery details/type.

Pay the charge and Castore will refund you.
And, if you go back to my post that you originally quoted, I have suggested that Castore need to do something along those lines.

Have a read of the DHL link I posted earlier. The charges have to be applied - currently, it may change on 1 July - in the country of receipt. Castore cannot, currently, charge them and then pay the EU country's customs tax. They should, though, be selling the goods free of UK VAT.

And, if you go back to my post that you originally quoted, I have suggested that Castore need to do something along those lines.

Have a read of the DHL link I posted earlier. The charges have to be applied - currently, it may change on 1 July - in the country of receipt. Castore cannot, currently, charge them and then pay the EU country's customs tax. They should, though, be selling the goods free of UK VAT.

I am aware of the procedure.

OP could ask Castore to fill out an LoA, and accept the fee.
But I doubt they will.

So it is one of the two options I mentioned.

I’m in Australia, bought the same top, at checkout it was AU$12.50 for shipping to Melbourne, was the second batch so will get if after 1stJune, surely it won’t cost me any more, as they stated the shipping costs when purchased.

This defo a Brexit thing. Via work we have to ship items to Europe for repairs, etc and used to be simple as anything. Now there's a whole series of forms/invoices to get through and the costs of shipping have sky-rocketed. Recently had to pay over a grand to ship a server to Dublin.

The customs process seems to also mean whole hosts of packages getting blocked/held due to paperwork formalities and minor issues, costing a fortune to get things released again.

It's a pain in the arse, so hoping this gets smoothed out over time.

It depends on what Castore are doing with delivery terms and EU VAT registrations. Part of the problem is the price is inclusive of UK VAT and then you’re potentially paying customs duty on top and VAT in your member state (which is what the DHL charge is).

Pre-Brexit, you wouldn’t have had to pay the customs duty or the local VAT on top, but obviously the rules have changed now we’re out the customs Union.

Basically, Castore need to think about how they’re fulfilling online sale to the EU and pick a member state to register for VAT in, otherwise it’s going to continue costing people a fortune.

Is it not DHLs responsibility if they are not directing castore (their customer) on the correct procedure?
@BlueKeld are you in the import/export business? Could possibly push some work your way if so.

It is Castore who have likely marked the package as “DTU” Duties and Taxes unpaid.

Thus the charge.

Nah, I receive packages from DHL daily though as part of my job.

Nice touch though pal, cheers.

This defo a Brexit thing. Via work we have to ship items to Europe for repairs, etc and used to be simple as anything. Now there's a whole series of forms/invoices to get through and the costs of shipping have sky-rocketed. Recently had to pay over a grand to ship a server to Dublin.

The customs process seems to also mean whole hosts of packages getting blocked/held due to paperwork formalities and minor issues, costing a fortune to get things released again.

It's a pain in the arse, so hoping this gets smoothed out over time.
It is a simple declaration on Castore side.

They (The person who packed it) have marked their package incorrectly.

Is it not DHLs responsibility if they are not directing castore (their customer) on the correct procedure?
@BlueKeld are you in the import/export business? Could possibly push some work your way if so.
DHL will just be the shipper and Castore will tell them the delivery terms set out by the contract. That determines who’s the importer, which appears to be the OP in this case.

There’s not a right or wrong procedure for this, but clearly it’s not a good thing for consumers that Castore aren’t acting as the importer into the EU because the costs end up with the buyer.

I bought a 55 bucket hat. It cost me 20 quid + 20 quid shipping etc. then I got dinged for $28 50 tax & duty. So, my Rangers hat cost me $100, and it doesn't fit, being far too big.

I am thinking of putting it into a glass case. This is Canada and not the EU as well.

I’m sure when your ordering for international delivery there is the option for paying the import tax up front & it’s nothing like €46.

OP is getting bumped

My champions edition top is getting delivered to Abu Dhabi tomorrow. Only problem is I’m in the UK. B-D

Yet I buy stuff from the USA all the time with no issues.

The EU wants this stuff to be annoying - to teach us a lesson/ discourage others from leaving.
I'm the same mate, no problems with stuff from the states.

Get the Lancaster's refuelled. Start with Berlin, paris will surrender by sun up.

I’m sure when your ordering for international delivery there is the option for paying the import tax up front & it’s nothing like €46.

OP is getting bumped

My champions edition top is getting delivered to Abu Dhabi tomorrow. Only problem is I’m in the UK. B-D
I tried to place an order of tops for some Egyptian kids and the duties ended up being around 300 pounds. That’s with the paying up front option. The price seems to fluctuate as well, always goes up though, never gets cheaper!

Happens to take all the time with my stuff mate. DHL take the piss. Fedex delivery it and send you an invoice after. They’re Always cheaper as well but fedex are notoriously slower than DHL

Back