DHL want €47 as import duty and vat for Champions top.

CupidStunt

Just got the text this morning saying it'll be out for delivery today but I need to pay 47 quid first, rang DHL and they've said there was no declaration with the package so customs have had to estimate.

No declaration paperwork is an absolute joke from Castore. I'm in the EU.

Doesn't help that Castore literally don't answer emails.

Refuse the delivery, item will get returned to Castore and cost them for delivery and, sometimes, return of the product.
If this keeps happening, then they will need to sort their paperwork out or it'll start costing them too much...not including the negative customer service.
For a company supposedly 'going places', Castore really need to get their act together or get some decent management in to run their operations before it's too late.

This article is about receiving goods in France from the UK but I guess would apply to the rest of the EU as well. It reads that even with a Customs Declaration their may be fees to pay if the value is over a certain limit and if the goods were manufactured outside the EU then imported to the UK before despatch to the EU address.

I won’t pretend to understand the complexities of it, though I have a mate who sent some stuff to Spain recently - with all the appropriate paperwork - and they wanted to charge the recipients a huge sum.

We’ve plenty in here living in the EU so will have a good handle on things.

Last edited:
This does not bode well for me as I was supposed to get my tops delivered yesterday via DHL Express here in Germany.

Not received any text updates since the initisl text but here is hoping everything will go well.

This article is about receiving goods in France from the UK but I guess would apply to the rest of the EU as well. It reads that even with a Customs Declaration their May be fees to pay if the value is over a certain limit and if the goods were manufactured outside the EU then imported to the UK before despatch to the EU address.

I won’t pretend to understand the complexities of it, though I have a mate who sent some stuff to Spain recently - with all the appropriate paperwork - and they wanted to charge the recipients a huge sum.

With such a worldwide fanbase surely its incumbent on Castore to have distribution warehouses in other regions, such as the EU.

Such a poor, poor experience.

This does not bode well for me as I was supposed to get my tops delivered yesterday via DHL Express here in Germany.

Not received any text updates since the initisl text but here is hoping everything will go well.
Let us know how you get on.

Well pissed off.

Im not sure this is Castores fault. I sent my auld man a top, a photo and the new mygers scarf for his birthday two weeks back. Did the full declaration of what was inside and he got hit for €60 with incorrect paperwork cited. Well it was the paperwork the postal company had?

How poor of them not to have built a warehouse during a pandemic :))

Plenty of businesses have expanded and built new premises during this pandemic. If they sign up European clubs then building a warehouse in the EU is the next logical step however maybe not the best idea for a few hundred Rangers tops!

Construction is crazy busy at the moment within the UK which is encouraging. It is sourcing the materials that is the difficult part just now.

A registered bloody office then B-D
Yeah you are right mate, the thing is there likely paying more tax themselves getting some stuff made in Portugal, shipped to the UK and then shipped back out again. Hopefully something in the pipeline to help fans out, but the OP is onto plums at the moment it's not Castore's fault brexit happened

With such a worldwide fanbase surely its incumbent on Castore to have distribution warehouses in other regions, such as the EU.

Such a poor, poor experience.
Reading the article I linked earlier, and the DHL FAQ below, both make reference to the receiver paying the duty, depending of course on circumstance. Neither states that the Customs Declaration gets around this, only that it helps determine how much will be charged.

Its clear as mud in all honesty. Different businesses seem to be dealing with it in different ways.

Reading the article I linked earlier, and the DHL FAQ below, both make reference to the receiver paying the duty, depending of course on circumstance. Neither states that the Customs Declaration gets around this, only that it helps determine how much will be charged.

Its clear as mud in all honesty. Different businesses seem to be dealing with it in different ways.

As someone living in the EU, I have been stung with this many a time. 47 Euro's is too high of a charge, so if it was a single top, then the OP should refuse the delivery and get on to Castore for a refund and tell them to get their paperwork in order.

Depends on the original value of an item, but most firms will charge an administrative charge of anything from 8 euro's up to 15, so you will not miss that. You will also have to pay the VAT in the country you live in, and this will either be charged by DHL or if it is under a certain amount should be covered by Castore. Means that the price you pay in the UK should be exempt VAT.

Another thing to make sure is that if your family send something over as a gift, tell them to do the bloody customs form properly too. If not, you will get hit for it too.

And before anyone complains this is an EU thing, it's the same going the other way. It is a direct consequence of not being part of the single market. Castore should have fixed this though.

I've bought loads of 55 merch since the beginning of March and most has been ok.

However, I bought a Gerrard with the trophy pin badge which cost 6 quid and I had to pay a 10 quid customs charge on it before they would deliver. Ridiculous.

The process is a complete mess just now, you would think it should be the responsibility of the seller to arrange all the paperwork and charge the buyer at the time but it seems to be left to the couriers to sort out.

Surely there needs to be a standard approach agreed.

As someone living in the EU, I have been stung with this many a time. 47 Euro's is too high of a charge, so if it was a single top, then the OP should refuse the delivery and get on to Castore for a refund and tell them to get their paperwork in order.

Depends on the original value of an item, but most firms will charge an administrative charge of anything from 8 euro's up to 15, so you will not miss that. You will also have to pay the VAT in the country you live in, and this will either be charged by DHL or if it is under a certain amount should be covered by Castore. Means that the price you pay in the UK should be exempt VAT.

Another thing to make sure is that if your family send something over as a gift, tell them to do the bloody customs form properly too. If not, you will get hit for it too.

And before anyone complains this is an EU thing, it's the same going the other way. It is a direct consequence of not being part of the single market. Castore should have fixed this though.
Thanks for the extra clarity. Hopefully helps the OP. Reading your post, and others, this is clearly still a bit of a minefield.

I'm in Fife and haven't received mine yet and it was in the first batch for delivery, still it said 1st May so i have time to wait yet.

The process is a complete mess just now, you would think it should be the responsibility of the seller to arrange all the paperwork and charge the buyer at the time but it seems to be left to the couriers to sort out.

The DHL link I posted earlier makes it clear that the charge has to be collected in the destination country. I’m sure I read another article suggesting that was due to change on 1 July, with UK companies then able to collect on behalf of the relevant EU countries Customs. So much confusion though.

EU still playing silly buggers over Brexit.
Not silly buggers at all. The rules are the rules. If you brought a Bayern top to the UK from Germany the same would apply. That is exactly what we signed up for. A lot of people under the misapprehension that free trade means VAT free when it doesnt. Inside @CupidStunt bill will be mainly VAT and a tenner for the courier's admin fee.

There is a standard approach that has been agreed. Remember all this press around the negotiations last year and the signing of the trade agreement with the EU? This is what it was about and how it should be implemented. The problem is that businesses were not and are still not prepared.

They should be selling merch into the EU free of U.K. VAT.

Most countries seem to then charge local taxes plus a flat fee.

It makes the difference negligible on sizeable purchases but probably works out quite expensive on sub £100 purchases.

A worked example:

Lets say you spend £120 with Castore for 2 tops

They should only charge £100 (no U.K. VAT) plus shipping.

You then pay local VAT (inc VAT on shipping) based upon declared value or an invoice plus a handling fee.

Lets say shipping was a tenner.

VAT here in Luxembourg is 17.5 percent.

17.5percent of 110 is 19.25 plus they charge a 15 euro handling fee.

My total spend would be approx £!40 instead of £130 (depending on exchange rate).

I can’t remember the French VAT rate.

I had a few issues receiving goods in Jan but it has mostly been pretty smooth since then.

My understanding is that Castore should not be charging U.K. VAT but last time I looked they were and they were also charging more for shirts abroad before adding postage.

There is a standard approach that has been agreed. Remember all this press around the negotiations last year and the signing of the trade agreement with the EU? This is what it was about and how it should be implemented. The problem is that businesses were not and are still not prepared.
Could be fun and games if and when we start travelling abroad again. In theory anything you buy in Spain now has to be declared on your return to the UK. If you buy a Barca top in Spain for example for 100 euro, you should be paying 20 euro at customs on the way back into the UK. This would really slow down things at border control and customs. I doubt many people are aware of this and will unwittingly be law breakers.

Could be fun and games if and when we start travelling abroad again. In theory anything you buy in Spain now has to be declared on your return to the UK. If you buy a Barca top in Spain for example for 100 euro, you should be paying 20 euro at customs on the way back into the UK. This would really slow down things at border control and customs. I doubt many people are aware of this and will unwittingly be law breakers.
I’d guess most still wouldn’t declare items like a football top. How do they prove it was bought in Spain?

I’d guess most still wouldn’t declare items like a football top. How do they prove it was bought in Spain?
Almost impossible to prove of course and most people wont think about declaring. I just wonder if customs would be crass enough to start pulling people out of lines to look through their suitcases. That is what they are paid for after all. They have wide ranging powers to find when and where you bought something. Dont see it happening as the queues at airports to get through customs would be enormous.

Back to the days of personal allowances. The Barcelona top in your example would fall within the £390 limit for goods brought into the UK. I'll need to consider whether or not I buy a new watch in Germany or if I buy from a UK jeweller. Or Jersey if it's an option for a couple of days.

Almost impossible to prove of course and most people wont think about declaring. I just wonder if customs would be crass enough to start pulling people out of lines to look through their suitcases. That is what they are paid for after all. They have wide ranging powers to find when and where you bought something. Dont see it happening as the queues at airports to get through customs would be enormous.

You might find that they target specific flights. I'd expect them to be far more interested in NY flights in the run up to Christmas (for example) than your typical scheduled flight in the spring.

I ordered a top on the 6th that hasn't come yet and I don't know if I'm being castored or really castored here.

yeah will be like the people buying tag watches etc in Florida for 30% less than the U.K. slap it on your wrist and don’t declare it will be what 99.9% of buyers do.

You might find that they target specific flights. I'd expect them to be far more interested in NY flights in the run up to Christmas (for example) than your typical scheduled flight in the spring.
NY and Dubai will be favourites, I agree. What is the story with Jersey? I got a watch from Germany last month and paid FedEx £580. The FedEx part on the invoice was about £20 and the rest VAT. If I had found similar in Jersey, would I have avoided the VAT? Same question ref IOM.

NY and Dubai will be favourites, I agree. What is the story with Jersey? I got a watch from Germany last month and paid FedEx £580. The FedEx part on the invoice was about £20 and the rest VAT. If I had found similar in Jersey, would I have avoided the VAT? Same question ref IOM.
Jersey was never part of the EU so import duties applied even when EU free trade meant that you could take goods from the EU to the UK.

I just like the idea of Jersey as goods are usually cheaper than mainland UK and I could easily go for a couple of days rather than having to faff about getting a nice watch home with me from Germany.

Castore need to improve quickly. There have been too many mistakes already. With an expanding football portfolio they must learn lessons from everything they did wrong with Rangers. Unfortunately it seems like problems with quality of products and delivery are persisting.
Get your finger out Castore.

Of course they wouldn't, they'd have to be caught red handed with a receipt, which is going to be unlikely.

Back