Dick Advocaat’s notes for away match at Tannadice 12/09/98

Scaramanga

Taken from the Rangers Archives Facebook page.

Very cool indeed. Not surprised to see the little general take the suite for himself, I thought Jimmy Bell might fight him for it.

Eu6THezXIAAwahB

Eu6THe6WQAA3Dbv

Eu6THe5XYAImXXI

Eu6THezXMAEKGxq

Eu6TMDQXYAAtghf

Eu6TMD6XcAEUmxk

Eu6TMEPXAAEyLgr

Eu6TMEhXUAU0O3h

Eu6TOidXMAMYPTo

Eu6TOicWQAAeCQF

Eu6TOibXYAQeod4

Eu6TOibXYAEX-Gi

Last edited:
Very organised and professional with some genuine top class players.

Would love to see what it was like under Ally in division 3 or under Pedro.

Jimmy Bell used to keep shitloads of stuff in his room.
I had a wee howff that was situated under the stairs under the west enclosure, we stored a lot of stuff under there. I once found a parking fine for Bert van Lingen under there, plus the old Coca Cola bike that was recently auctioned was kept there as well. There was a store room where loads of stuff like old medals and awards were kept that maybe the players of management didn’t want as well as loads of old files of scouting reports and god knows what else. Very interesting but I’m not sure if any of it is still there given the place has been done up not that long ago at the tunnel area.

Very organised and professional with some genuine top class players.

Would love to see what it was like under Ally in division 3 or under Pedro.
I remember that Pedro did sound quite tactically astute in his first presser. I was quickly put right.

I’d imagine this is a surprise to some folk who think it’s just a case of putting the best players on the pitch :))

P.S - these are fascinating, Mick Beale’s must be out of this world these days!.

That's a really interesting insight in to how managers set their teams up

Would love to see one of Gerrards!

That’s pretty in depth but I remember seeing a Jose Mourinho scouting reporting when he worked under Van Gaal at Barca and it’s beyond anything I’ve ever seen in terms of detail.

That’s pretty in depth but I remember seeing a Jose Mourinho scouting reporting when he worked under Van Gaal at Barca and it’s beyond anything I’ve ever seen in terms of detail.

If memory serves me right it was Villas Boas who wrote it for Mourinho. Found it rather pretentious in that it included minute details there’s no way any player would remember during a game or that would even really be useful to them. “Seagul jobby located on left wing at half way line” sort of stuff.

I had a wee howff that was situated under the stairs under the west enclosure, we stored a lot of stuff under there. I once found a parking fine for Bert van Lingen under there, plus the old Coca Cola bike that was recently auctioned was kept there as well. There was a store room where loads of stuff like old medals and awards were kept that maybe the players of management didn’t want as well as loads of old files of scouting reports and god knows what else. Very interesting but I’m not sure if any of it is still there given the place has been done up not that long ago at the tunnel area.
Are you meaning bell had a wee houf ? Or yourself involved with the club ?

Are you meaning bell had a wee houf ? Or yourself involved with the club ?
Both. Jimmy Bell had his wee store room across from the switchroom at the Copland end of the corridor, a treasure trove full of stuff. I had a wee store under the stairs that wasn’t as filled up with stuff but there was bits and bobs lying around, some good some not so good.
I had a wee rummage through a scouting folder one day, I’m sure I took photos of it I’ll try and find them at some point and post them, the reports were quite good to read as well. Some of the players Rangers had reports on were fascinating.

Last edited:
The simplicity of some of it is terrific.

Don’t lose the ball in own half.

And re-emphasising 5-5 balance of the team for attack and defence.

If memory serves me right it was Villas Boas who wrote it for Mourinho. Found it rather pretentious in that it included minute details there’s no way any player would remember during a game or that would even really be useful to them. “Seagul jobby located on left wing at half way line” sort of stuff.
He may have done the same mate, but it was Mourinho to a Barca coach - maybe Bobby Robson - in the one I had read about.

Jeez pal, great story. I wonder what happened to all that stuff.

He may have done the same mate, but it was Mourinho to a Barca coach - maybe Bobby Robson - in the one I had read about.

apologies! Must have been a different one I read. I love this seeing all this stuff though it’s interesting to see where the focus is.

The formality of the memo to ask a simple question re. the Airdrie game made me smile. Emails weren’t quite mainstream at that time and life was simpler.

Yeah that was online a few years ago and was insane, proper OCD stuff. I'm sure he had done a mountain of research on a third or fourth choice goalie who had never made an appearance for the opposition.

His notes for Mourinho to face Celtic in the UEFA Cup Final are also online. They can be summed up as 'Larsson is good, the rest are slow and they foul a lot'.

Taken from the Rangers Archives Facebook page.

Very cool indeed. Not surprised to see the little general take the suite for himself, I thought Jimmy Bell might fight him for it.

Eu6THezXIAAwahB

Eu6THe6WQAA3Dbv

Eu6THe5XYAImXXI

Eu6THezXMAEKGxq

Eu6TMDQXYAAtghf

Eu6TMD6XcAEUmxk

Eu6TMEPXAAEyLgr

Eu6TMEhXUAU0O3h

Eu6TOidXMAMYPTo

Eu6TOicWQAAeCQF

Eu6TOibXYAQeod4

Eu6TOibXYAEX-Gi
TBH I've never gave something like this any thought. Of course it makes total sense and is a great insight into game planning. From meals, hotels, rooms and of course the game plan. Magnificent stuff. What a great read that could be looking back on all those archive games. Great post

fascinating to read.
As a youth coach, I love this detail.

Ice Cream for dinner though ! lol

I'd love an inside to Gerrards pre match plans

Back