Dick Advocaat 1998 Quote - Very Apt

Coza

About 2/3 months into the job he was questioned before a mid week trip to Dunfermline while top of the league if he would make any changes following a hectic schedule of games. The reply was very apt to where we are at right now for me.

“No I pick the best players available. This is a new team and my strongest 11 needs to continue to learn to play with each other. Once it is clear we play well together I may rest players”

Ok it’s nearly 20 years ago so I am paraphrasing but I vividly remember thinking it was a wise comment and feel our manager right now could pay heed when it comes to the spine of the team.

Pick your best GK-CH-CM and no more rotating where possible please.

Advocaat didn't have to navigate us through 8 European qualifying games that season. He had two games against Shelbourne and 2 against PAOK.

I doubt there's been a season in our history where we've played more games at this point in the season than we have this years. There's been no free midweeks at all.

It has been constant.

We've had no choice but to rotate.

Good find OP

We do need to try and get a settled team

6 changes from Wednesday too

That’s too many IMO

Hope we can try and get a settled team and minimise the changes unless players are injured or suspended

Well we also had exactly the same number of points after the same amount of games in Dicks first season as we do now

Go figure

Advocaat had a much stronger squad of players to work with and he started from a position of strength too. The average player in Advocaats squad was way above the standard of his counterparts in the rest of the league. Easy to give it the ‘play your best 11’ chat when you know if one of them gets injured you can backfill with real quality.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison.

Not so long ago the Timmy support was giving brenda pelters for constantly tinkering with the team and recently came out in the press and admitted it said he would stop doing it so much that was a few weeks ago.
So Gerrard Will seriously need to have a look at his squad decide what his strongest 11 is and stick with it with minor tinkering when situations make him change.

Advocaat didn't have to navigate us through 8 European qualifying games that season. He had two games against Shelbourne and 2 against PAOK.

I doubt there's been a season in our history where we've played more games at this point in the season than we have this years. There's been no free midweeks at all.

It has been constant.

We've had no choice but to rotate.

Totally agree, throw in the fact that every other team in Scotland raises their game and physicality against us, not to mention having to play 6 matches with 10 men and 1 match with only 9 men, for long periods, has a knock-on effect on players tiredness, both mentally and physically.

Advocaat had a much stronger squad of players to work with and he started from a position of strength too. The average player in Advocaats squad was way above the standard of his counterparts in the rest of the league. Easy to give it the ‘play your best 11’ chat when you know if one of them gets injured you can backfill with real quality.

Yet we have the same number of points, so SG is doing better then?

I've never played football at any level but I can imagine playing at CH you would ideally like to build up a partnership so if you move out of position the othe guy will fill in and so on, must be a nightmare having different guys every week trying to understand the way they play to adjust your game

I can name good teams of the past where around 15 players were involved.
Like the ipswich team early 80s, liverpool early 80s. Newcastle mid 90s.
I am dismayed at what dross has been served up in the last 2 games.
The worst i have seen for a while.

About 2/3 months into the job he was questioned before a mid week trip to Dunfermline while top of the league if he would make any changes following a hectic schedule of games. The reply was very apt to where we are at right now for me.

“No I pick the best players available. This is a new team and my strongest 11 needs to continue to learn to play with each other. Once it is clear we play well together I may rest players”

Ok it’s nearly 20 years ago so I am paraphrasing but I vividly remember thinking it was a wise comment and feel our manager right now could pay heed when it comes to the spine of the team.

Pick your best GK-CH-CM and no more rotating where possible please.

Last edited:
OOOOoffffffft Shelbourne first half.

Not as bad as I Remember the bastards at Tranmere rovers locking an exit gate to the outside of the ground and then herding us all into a function suite when Rangers fans where 15 a breast trying to get through double doors.

Nothing done by the club to defend us that day and probably got a fine from UEFA for our "misbehaviour"

I can understand the rotation in forward positions to an extent, especially due to availabilty, but between Wednesday and today we have played Tav, Goldson, Worrall, MacAuley, Middleton, Barasic, Flanagan and Halliday in defence.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Sort it out, and sort it out fast Stevie.

Advocaat also has the best squad in the country to choose from.

Not the case anymore.

Advocaat lost 6-2 and 5-1 at the midden. As soon as Celtic got their shit together he was hopeless. And he spunked phuck knows how much on Flo.

It's like comparing apples with cabbages.

Tbf only mcgregor would have got in dicks team

Changed days and until we get 3/4 windows behind Stevie we need to work with the dross we have , which pains me to say

He also had the choice of much better players...

Advocaat also has the best squad in the country to choose from.

Not the case anymore.

Surely that increases the need for continuity if we are starting from a weaker base of players and need to find every advantage we can get.

Back