Did Barry Ferguson get Paul le Guen the sack?

Not saying Ferguson was a model pro with PLG but I suspect the inevitable sacking of Le Guen was coming regardless. We were playing absolutely rubbish, nowhere in the league and the suspicion is that promises made to Le Guen were not kept. It was only a matter of time imho that he was going.

Le Guen tried to resign in September 2006, again at start of December then engineered a situation which meant Murray had no choice.

Simply put, he could never have been a good Rangers manager because very quickly he realised he’d made a bad decision and didn’t WANT to be Rangers manager.

This is not to excuse some of Ferguson’s behaviour at the time.

Le Guen tried to resign in September 2006, again at start of December then engineered a situation which meant Murray had no choice.

Simply put, he could never have been a good Rangers manager because very quickly he realised he’d made a bad decision and didn’t WANT to be Rangers manager.

Do you think he was expecting more backing in the transfer market? If so do you reckon he stays on with that backing?

The whole thing was doomed from the start.

Le Guen was used to working under a DOF. We were behind the times in that regard.

It seemed like a great idea when he was announced but the peculiarities of Scottish football and the expectation that comes with the job were not for him.

I don't think PLG knew what he wanted to do. He was off running around in the desert before he arrived. (True story).

Whether he did or didn't want to stay, his signings were.. well.

He did however bring us Papac :))

I got the inside story at the time from a good source.

Concise version.

Murray deep in his own troubles with his collapsing empire wasn't as close to the action as normal.

Murray once alerted to the issue with Ferguson by PLG took Ferguson in. He told PLG he would back him but demoting or selling Ferguson would be problematic in terms of how the fans might react.

He filleted Ferguson in private for his conduct and the fact it had went so far. Told Ferguson if it couldn't be resolved the manager would be backed 100%. Ferguson was deeply rattled by this and thought his time was up.

By the time Murray sat with PLG again -PLG decided for the 2nd time he didn't want to stay. Murray had nowhere to go.

PLG never settled at Rangers, he never understood our mentality and I doubt he liked the country much.

Did anyone, really and I mean really ever believe those targets were real? The Schweinsteiger one would be like Posteglu saying he wants Pedri

I mean yeah, no shit

I knew about him trying to get out in the September but didn’t know about the December try.

Barry Ferguson was a serial winner and would do anything for Rangers to win. PLG on the other hand was a total shitebag and wanted out months before he was actually sacked.

The Livorno game was a massive highlight for me, loved that euro run but domestically we were rotten.

Ferguson is a bawbag, but no PLG saying it was fine to be that low in the league got him the sack

Ferguson is one of our best ever players for me. The ability he had, the winning mentality, the way he used to control games against the very best. Take the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen.

pretty embarrassing comment to make about the guy tbh

Le Guen wasn't fit for purpose and was a goner anyway.

Ferguson didn't behave as a captain should, in my opinion, but you could see his reasoning.

At least we got Walter back out of all the nonsense.

You’d rather we went on as we were under Le Guen than go on to become what we did under Smith? When we put our foot right on Celtics throat and strangled them

I feel a bit like Lucius Fox speaking to Coleman Reese here…
No. But as others have pointed to I would have expected more from Barry at that time.

He threw his toys out the pram, knew he had the mob behind him, and played to it.

You might not like the man, but, he should have known better.

If you read threads on BF you will see a lucky bag full of thoughts on him.

On this particular point, I think he got it wrong.

Interesting that Colquhoun and Walker to an extent disagree with McNee. I think as players they will have been in dressing rooms and understand that players know when a manger is competent.

Even in normal work environments we know when those in charge are not good enough, it must be even more frustrating when you are a professional footballer with a short timeframe to win things.

Not saying Ferguson was a model pro with PLG but I suspect the inevitable sacking of Le Guen was coming regardless. We were playing absolutely rubbish, nowhere in the league and the suspicion is that promises made to Le Guen were not kept. It was only a matter of time imho that he was going.
I don’t think any promises were made. I read an interview with PLG years ago and he admitted he arrogantly thought it would be an easy job and then it turned out managing Rangers was a lot harder than he thought it would be.
I never understand why PLG threads always inevitably turn into a Barry Ferguson bashing session. Fergie was a winner whereas PLG accepted mediocrity. PLG used Barry Ferguson to engineer his move out the door.

Don't think BF got PLG sacked. Maybe brought issues to a head and when David Murrray appeared to back a player over the manager PLG had to go.
In truth it wasn't working out anyway and it gave the club and the manager a way out.

Back