Did Bobby Madden get Morelos sent off?

blueballs

I was 3rd row from front today, on the same side as Morelos ran to celebrate the goal.

Very early it became apparent the referee was swithering what to do. Katic and Jack were talking with him, Borna looked worried.

I actually watched the ref as he walked about, hovering like a bad smell......then at one point he had his finger to the left ear obviously talking to someone.

Only now that I've seen Willie Vass photos did I notice Madden was 4th official.

Now, maybe I'm totally wrong but given how much Bobby enjoys sending off a Rangers player, and his previous with Freddo, surely hes not passed any comment nor opinion from the sideline!!???

I was 3rd row from front today, on the same side as Morelos ran to celebrate the goal.

Very early it became apparent the referee was swithering what to do. Katic and Jack were talking with him, Borna looked worried.

I actually watched the ref as he walked about, hovering like a bad smell......then at one point he had his finger to the left ear obviously talking to someone.

Only now that I've seen Willie Vass photos did I notice Madden was 4th official.

Now, maybe I'm totally wrong but given how much Bobby enjoys sending off a Rangers player, and his previous with Freddo, surely hes not passed any comment nor opinion from the sideline!!???
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree

From the halfway line, on the other side of the pitch? If this is correct then the manager needs to make it public.

That was my first reaction too. The time between the goal, the incident and the card would leave me to believe Madden was in the earpiece of the Ref.
Also what part did madden have in the half-time melee? How convenient that the already booked instigator Donnelly escaped unpunished.

Ref had already decided what was happening.
Honestly mate, I'm not so sure.

The way the players were acting it's almost like he was tempted, but not sure.

Right in front of me, he had his finger to the ear listening to someone say something. Would like to know who it was.

Then, shortly after, he went for the card

it’s well known Robertson is no friend of ours

but it was at this exact stage last season when these big calls started going against us .

I don’t think the standard of officials is very good , across the board , but what I do know for a fact is that the referees are terrified of being seen giving us anything at all in a game that could be even considered controversial .

This is what they do , unless it’s so cast iron they’ve no choice ( even then they sometimes won’t give it ) but they know the hellfire that will rain down on them from Yahoo FC and their rabid fans if they dare to give us a decision that could affect their run to 10 titles . It’s simply not worth the hassle for them rightly or wrongly .

Look how Beaton was hounded after the OF game last year . And that was after their manager said “ no complaints “ !

They are on tenterhooks , they are terrified , and it shows . Watch for more in the coming weeks . Exact same happened last season . Penalties denied , goals chopped off for nothing , players sent off for Fck all , you’ll see it all .

Is Robertson one of the great unwashed?

I started a thread on him last year, it was bumped by someone earlier today, however Admin decided to shut it down.

He is very bitter he didn’t try and hide it as he made his was through the refereeing ranks.

His friends have a video of him giving rebel songs big licks on a boy’s holiday in magaluf.

He claims to have got into refereeing when his career finished at st Mirren ! He was finished by 17 but makes out he played with Partick and St Mirren as some sort of attempt to make himself out as impartial.

Just for the record and as a measure of his dishonesty he also played amateur football under an assumed name as clearly shouldn’t have been having been a professional.

I started a thread on him last year, it was bumped by someone earlier today, however Admin decided to shut it down.

He is very bitter he didn’t try and hide it as he made his was through the refereeing ranks.

His friends have a video of him giving rebel songs big licks on a boy’s holiday in magaluf.

He claims to have got into refereeing when his career finished at st Mirren ! He was finished by 17 but makes out he played with Partick and St Mirren as some sort of attempt to make himself out as impartial.

Just for the record and as a measure of his dishonesty he also played amateur football under an assumed name as clearly shouldn’t have been having been a professional.
So, wait a minute.

A video of a SFA referee officiating Rangers top flight matches, singing rebel songs?

Next you'll be telling me the FARE organisation self imposed to arbitrate on Rangers supporters conduct at European matches would share tweets referring to us as a manky mob and deluded c*#%s.

Still, as long as Stevie G has no complaints

Spot on. The ref was running towards Alfredo before he even hit the ground with the intention of booking him.
Not what happened mate. I watched it all right in front of me.

Referee was swithering. Our players could tell. Finger in left ear to hear something. Decision made.

At one point, he actually walked with the team back to the centre line. That's why Freddo was sent off just before restart.

Booked for reacting to having a Bovril thrown at his napper .....

Okay that’s probably not how it happened, but you can clearly see it on Willie Vass’s pictures, and perhaps the club should be kicking up a right fuss about it. Not the first time our players have been targeted by that wee shit tip clubs supporters.

Referee was swithering. Our players could tell. Finger in left ear to hear something. Decision made.

At one point, he actually walked with the team back to the centre line. That's why Freddo was sent off just before restart.

I saw it as well and still disagree. I knew what was about to happen and I think the rest of the players did as well, that's why they sorrounded him and tried to change his mind.
Then again I'm half blind and was half cut so let's go with your version.

It could just as easily been a linesman as the 4th official. I don't see a point in looking for bogeymen as it was referees decision to give him a second yellow (for what is a bookable offence) regardless of who was in his ear- I know it is inconsistently applied to other teams before I get examples listed to me.

It could just as easily been a linesman as the 4th official. I don't see a point in looking for bogeymen as it was referees decision to give him a second yellow (for what is a bookable offence) regardless of who was in his ear- I know it is inconsistently applied to other teams before I get examples listed to me.
To be fair mate, were the only team I'm aware off that's suffered an occasion where its NOT been the referee decision, it absolutely WAS the 4th official who overruled and resulted in the only time whereby a player (Jack vs Killie) was punished twice for the same event.

Referee booked him, before we took the penalty he then ran over and shows the red card, all cause a 4th official decided they had a better view.

The rules of football state....
“A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:
gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way”
Question: Was the referee correct to caution Alfie?
Answer: yes, it’s clearly stated in the football rules.
Importantly, I think it was also appropriate for the referee to take into consideration the racist abuse being directed at Alfie, before cautioning him. The referee in this instance chose to ignore that and in some ways the racists won as it had the effect of getting Alfie sent off.

To be fair mate, were the only team I'm aware off that's suffered an occasion where its NOT been the referee decision, it absolutely WAS the 4th official who overruled and resulted in the only time whereby a player (Jack vs Killie) was punished twice for the same event.

Referee booked him, before we took the penalty he then ran over and shows the red card, all cause a 4th official decided they had a better view.

Punished for being assaulted.

Importantly, I think it was also appropriate for the referee to take into consideration the racist abuse being directed at Alfie, before cautioning him. The referee in this instance chose to ignore that and in some ways the racists won as it had the effect of getting Alfie sent off.
You dont need goto such great lengths to justify the booking.

The rule book doesnt seem to be front and centre of refs minds on other occasions, it doesnt explain the fact were refereed to a different standard

I dispute that it was an inflammatory gesture.
Cupping your hand to your ear is an accepted response to silencing abusive fans with a goal.
The officials wrongly misinterpreted his celebration as a Scottish GIRFUY, which it wasn't. He makes similar gestures to our own fans.

Robertson is a 19th Century Terrorist acting against Rangers on behalf of other 19th Century Terrorists.

Let’s face it, it wouldn’t be the first time a 4th offical got involved in a decision that got one of our players sent off and it certainly won’t be the last.
A club who remains silent is an easy target for what passes as officials in this joke of a league.

Honestly mate, I'm not so sure.

The way the players were acting it's almost like he was tempted, but not sure.

Right in front of me, he had his finger to the ear listening to someone say something. Would like to know who it was.

Then, shortly after, he went for the card
These conversations should be public same as in rugby not hidden like dodgy pricks do, get it all out in the open.

The only tactic we can use against the oncoming assault on us is for the manager to be 'puzzled' by the varying application of the laws he sees when he watches Scottish Football.
Although, I'm now convinced the manager has been instructed that "we don't get involved in that kind of thing". I see no other explanation for Gerrard accepting the double standards and failing to do what he can to protect his players from assault and cheating.

According to the pundits on Sportscene, the reason Alfie had to be carded was the missile throwing from the Motherwell yobs. Apparently Alfie annoyed them so much that they threw stuff. It was his fault. He incited them.
So now we know, if an opposing player comes near us gesticulating in any way at all, throw something at him and the referee will have to take action for incitement.

I will now have a couple of drams, safe in the knowledge that I have absolutely heard it all now from BBC Scotland and the complete fucking morons who appear on it.

Last edited:

Yeah I was right behind the goal 11 rows up and I saw the ref walking with finger on his earpiece listening to somebody

The only tactic we can use against the oncoming assault on us is for the manager to be 'puzzled' by the varying application of the laws he sees when he watches Scottish Football.
Although, I'm now convinced the manager has been instructed that "we don't get involved in that kind of thing". I see no other explanation for Gerrard accepting the double standards and failing to do what he can to protect his players from assault and cheating.
I’m convinced it’s an unwritten policy at the club, King said as much in an interview.

those of us watching on RTV won’t of seen this bit as they were showing a reply of the goal. But you could hear the cheers over the top when the ref pulled out the red then cut to Morelos looking perplexed.

I watched the game on sky today but I knew when he was hovering about the players while they were celebrating he was going to send him off. He looked like he was just picking the right time to do it so it didn’t all kick off with the whole team around about him.
Either way just celebrate in front of his own fans then it doesn’t become an issue. Hopefully we can get all 3 points at Easter road without him because I’m sure last season we would have been closer had he not been sent off as much. As much as I love Alfie today’s red card was unnecessary and avoidable

Watching it on TV, as soon as Morelos made that gesture, I knew he was for the chop. It just took so long because so many of our players had surrounded him to congratulate him.

He was already on a booking and had been skirting close to a second. They just needed the perfect excuse, and he gave them it on a platter.

Problem I have with the booking is, I know for a fact that had that been at Ibrox and an opposition player, it wouldn't even have been a talking to.

It's not a lack of consistency, it's just being refereed to a different standard.

Spot on. The ref was running towards Alfredo before he even hit the ground with the intention of booking him.
Whats the normal number of offenses or fouls you can commit while on a yellow before you get a second?
How many fouls did Alfie commit between yellows?

a new low for scottish football when a player gets sent off for reacting to racist abuse.

I've seen this mentions a few times now. I wasnt at today's game what was the nature of the racial abuse aimed at Morelos?? Surely Motherwell should be looking into this if there is any evidence of this!!

Scumbag bastards!!

I’m convinced it’s an unwritten policy at the club, King said as much in an interview.
It has to come from King, I think. That's quite a misreading of the environment we're forced to operate in. It makes me wonder if someone, for talking's sake let's say someone who used to be a reporter and was then employed by the club for media purposes but although shown to be useless at it was still kept around, was trusted by King as his man on the ground? In this scenario this person, who really didn't like the club and hated the fans, was leading King astray? Everyone is aware of the blood, sweat and tears that Dave King has had to put into the club, his focus had to be on the business side. It seems logical that he might turn to someone else to advise him on local issues.

Last edited:
Whats the normal number of offenses or fouls you can commit while on a yellow before you get a second?
How many fouls did Alfie commit between yellows?
Think there is sliding scale , not 100% sure on it all but I think it says 10 for a Celtic player , 12 for Broon cause he’s captain and 2 for a Rangers player unless the game is tight then discretion is allowed.

Back