Did Daniel Levy get the call right at Spurs?

Surprised it wasn't sooner, record for 2019 11 wins 12 losses and 7 draws I think I heard on radio this morning.

My son in law is a Spurs fan, his family are all season ticket holders, and he is furious both at Pochettino getting the sack and Mourinho replacing him. I can’t help but agree with him. The manager had earned the time to put things right and Mourinho is too divisive in my opinion. Arrogant bastard as well.

Don't know how you can't sack your manager when last season you were in the CL final and this season 14th in the league.

Mourinho has proven himself to be a good manager and will succeed but ONLY if he gets money.

My son in law is a Spurs fan, his family are all season ticket holders, and he is furious both at Pochettino getting the sack and Mourinho replacing him. I can’t help but agree with him. The manager had earned the time to put things right and Mourinho is too divisive in my opinion. Arrogant bastard as well.
While I agree, Mourinho is also a natural born winner, always has been, meanwhile Pochetino has won nothing his entire career

Something isn't right at spurs yes they got to the champs league final but that apart they haven't been great in 2019.

I think he's got it right eventually, Spurs and Pochettino should have partied ways in the summer.

I think they owe Pochettino a great deal of gratitude as they would never be in a position to point a manager of Mourinho's calibre if it wasn't for him imo.

Mourinho you'd imagine will make them a much nastier side to play against early on and his record would suggest that there's a good chance they'll win a trophy.

Still miles behind Liverpool and City however.

I think he's got it right eventually, Spurs and Pochettino should have partied ways in the summer.

I think they owe Pochettino a great deal of gratitude as they would never be in a position to point a manager of Mourinho's calibre if it wasn't for him imo.

Mourinho you'd imagine will make them a much nastier side to play against early on and his record would suggest that there's a good chance they'll win a trophy.

Still miles behind Liverpool and City however.
This is it.
Although the league table just now suggests different, it’s probably true of the rest of the league as well.

It depends if Mourinho has changed or not, which he clearly had to.

I don't think his talent to coach or manage ever left him but he had to me turned into Souness in his later years as a manager and was driven by a loathing of modern players and how they acted, which to be fair is expected given Mourinho was having to spend the day kicking about with cunts like Pogba and Lingaard.

If Mourinho has come back with a different view on modern football it most likely will be a decent change and even at that it is open to question how much Spurs will actually "win"

A League Cup and a Europa League for instance in the next few years still wouldn't surpass much of the body of work from Pochettino at that club.

I think mourinho will do well at spurs. In my opinion the reason he failed at Man Utd was because of the spice boy divas ie pogba, Lingaard. Spurs don’t seem to have that sort of a squad so I think it’s a great appointment.

Their league record has been abysmal for months. Obviously the saving grace was the Champions League Final but even then they barely put up a fight.

The club is a mess. The board have allowed all their best players to run down their contracts.

It depends if Mourinho has changed or not, which he clearly had to.

I don't think his talent to coach or manage ever left him but he had to me turned into Souness in his later years as a manager and was driven by a loathing of modern players and how they acted, which to be fair is expected given Mourinho was having to spend the day kicking about with cunts like Pogba and Lingaard.

If Mourinho has come back with a different view on modern football it most likely will be a decent change and even at that it is open to question how much Spurs will actually "win"

A League Cup and a Europa League for instance in the next few years still wouldn't surpass much of the body of work from Pochettino at that club.

Not that I give a toss about this thread, what you said about Pogba is why I'm joining in.

It was Mourinho and his arrogance that brought Pogba to OT and he was willing to pay any price. An obscene amount, because of his arrogance.

I'm the special one and if I say we spend 90 million smackers on a player, who is not and will never be in the Messi and Ronaldo category, then that's what's going to happen.

Great with money is Jose. Other peoples!

Not that I give a toss about this thread, what you said about Pogba is why I'm joining in.

It was Mourinho and his arrogance that brought Pogba to OT and he was willing to pay any price. An obscene amount, because of his arrogance.

I'm the special one and if I say we spend 90 million smackers on a player, who is not and will never be in the Messi and Ronaldo category, then that's what's going to happen.

Great with money is Jose. Other peo

Think you have shot and fired before aiming there....

The main purchaser of players at Man U in recent times has been Woodward and his inability to negotiate and purcahse.

I just thought that was accepted now given how often it has been said.

Spurs haven't won an away league game since January so I can probably see why it's happened, they only have 25pts from the last 24 games in the league as well

feels as if Poch asked for money or to sack him, Levy said no so has paid out the £12m to him to terminate the contract. Levy needs to realise that having a big, brand new stadium won't make Spurs a bigger team, games are won on the pitch by the players, not the stadium

Think you have shot and fired before aiming there....

The main purchaser of players at Man U in recent times has been Woodward and his inability to negotiate and purcahse.

I just thought that was accepted now given how often it has been said.

Well, you have me at a disadvantage in that I don't know the ins and outs of Man Utd's recruitment strategy.

What I saw, because it was I suppose a big story at the time was Jose willing to spend 90 mill on a player who I think was at Man Utd years before.

It's the monies being spent in the grand scheme of things, which is bonkers.

Well, you have me at a disadvantage in that I don't know the ins and outs of Man Utd's recruitment strategy.

What I saw, because it was I suppose a big story at the time was Jose willing to spend 90 mill on a player who I think was at Man Utd years before.

It's the monies being spent in the grand scheme of things, which is bonkers.

He is a manager....he doesn't decide how much is spent on football players.

Don't think he would have taken the job unless he was promised a fat dirty open chequebook as soon as the window opens. Will be interesting to see how this develops as he's got a point to prove with his relative failure at Man U (compared to other clubs he's managed).

Being a Spurs fan defo not happy with the appointment of Jose. Can’t help but feel he has had his day & he is yesterday’s man. Think football has moved on from his type of management.

I get that their domestic form has been poor all year, but we're talking about a guy who has established Spurs as a top four CL team and took them to their first ever final six months ago. I think he had more than enough in the bank to deserve the rest of the season to turn it around.

You do wonder if there's more to it than meets the eye. Has he lost the dressing room? Is his mind elsewhere? Man U or Real for instance?

And then you look at Mourinho.

On paper he's an upgrade in that he can point to a track record of winning things, but it does feel like he's a guy on the wane and unless Levy breaks the habit of a lifetime and actually opens the purse strings will he be anymore successful there than Pochettino?

He is a manager....he doesn't decide how much is spent on football players.

If he's the manager I'd have thought he must have had some sort of figure of what the signing target was worth to start with.

From me as a total outsider looking in, he (Pogba) was going to OT and damn the cost.

Surely as a manager if your club are paying 20/30 million or so over what you think the player is worth you should have an opinion.

In saying that, it is obvious you have a better knowledge of what's going on down there.

But the bottom line is, we'll see how it will all unfold.

Mourinho will want a Sheik's ransom for players.

Don't know how you can't sack your manager when last season you were in the CL final and this season 14th in the league.

Mourinho has proven himself to be a good manager and will succeed but ONLY if he gets money.
I've highlighted how.

Jose hasnt been a success for a while. He needs to be a success or his reputation will be completely tarnished.

I think they have made a huge mistake here and should have backed Poch. They will now have to back Jose with a stack load of cash however I can see him causing more issues then being paid off next season.

Mourinho is yesterdays man.

This isnt the progressive appointment that sours fans were hoping for.

Poch was a decent manager with a decent record imo

But lateley Spurs performances were dire - punching way below their own weight
I think most people were surprised by this & as far as I know nobody could come up with any convincing reasons or explanations

The trouble now- with a badly tarnished, post man u Morinho - many people would have doubts that he can do any better than MP

If the quotes from spurs players are to be believed then MP had not lost the dressing room - yet most would think JM had lost the support of the players while at man u

Judging by the amounts spent at man u & spurs - then for a short spell at least - spurs seemed to have had more value for money
So does that mean MP is better at identifying talent & spending wisely ?
Probably not

So what went wrong with either of them ? Were tactics to blame ? Is JM a better tactician than MP ? I wouldn't like to get into that argument based on their most recent records - both were less than perfect

Does motivational ability come into it ? - obviously it helps - but it would seem both struggled with this at different times

When JM was at Porto or Internazionale & later at Chelsea - nobody in their right mind could have questioned his motivational qualities - but that makes the man u debacle all the more puzzling

Equally MP's record on this is variable to say the least

In my opinion JM's appointment is an enormous risk - but presumably DL knows more than most about why MP failed & where JM may rectify their shortcomings- Somehow though - I don't expect JM to turn this all round anytime soon

Yes. Pochettino has had plenty of time to win something and hasn't been able to. Best to get someone like Mourinho in now before their best players decide to leave

3pts off 5th though. A win would change that table. You also have to look at how he has done in europe this season as well.
Further 8 points between 5th and 4th and I wouldn't be pushing their Euro performances as a reason for him to keep his job unless we are going to ignore the 7-2 gubbing at home.

Poch away yes - only amazed he lasted so long this season with so many poor poor results.

Jose....no. A legend in the game until his ill fated move to Manure. Appears to be a yesterday man now.

Under Poch Spurs spent too much time at Wembley, that couldn't have helped. Other teams spending millions and Poch took Spurs to the ultimate - the CL final without such a war chest.
IMO Spurs punched above their weight in the last few years without actually winning anything and reaching that final must have been mind blowing for any Spurs supporter.
Jose is yesterdays man and Poch i believe will go onto greater things with a higher club.
Long term i think Spurs will be the losers.

Spurs have been pish this season , yes they are known over the years to play nice football but they have won f*** all for years ,mourinho is a winner hes won things at every club hes been at ,what do the spurs fans want ? Nice football and finish in the top 4 every year or actually winning trophies

He will most likely wish to have support to add the additions he needs to compete with teams like Liverpool and City I would assume yes..

It sort of comes with the territory of managing a big club, it isn't Mourinho exclusive....

You're correct it isn't exclusive to JM, but he does like the limelight.

The one thing he did at OT was catapult that club into the select band of clubs who have won three different European tournaments.

Just on a personal level, I happen to think his best days are behind him. If I were a Spurs fan, I don't think I'd be ecstatic right now. But what do I know?

The ironic thing is, a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a 'gooner' in work, and obviously things ain't working too well there either and there had been talk of JM as the next manager at the Emirates. - He was definitely against that one.

It's certainly an intriguing appointment. As others have said, Mourinho tends to do his best work when his team have the most resources within that league.

I highly doubt that will be the case this time. He's competing against Klopp & Pep still, and those guys teams are way ahead.

Is he good enough to get Spurs top 4 over the next year or 2, yep. Perhaps even win a domestic cup or Europa League next season. Is that enough for him though? For a man that reminds everyone that he wants his team to be the best, I'm not so sure. And the last thing your club wants is a frustrated Jose.

I've highlighted how.

Well done you but you've misread my post...

I’ll highlight a whole sentence below for you

Note the 'can't'. I am saying that I do not know how you could justify keeping the manager when they're 14th.

The special ones tactics of yesteryear will not be good enough to win anything, so the question is has Jose evolved as a manager and tactician? Surely he cannot play the same negative turgid pish he rolled out at Old Trafford.
He for me, is a has been! Hope he proves me wrong as i love an underdog story.

Well done you but you've misread my post...

I’ll highlight a whole sentence below for you

Note the 'can't'. I am saying that I do not know how you could justify keeping the manager when they're 14th.
Humblest apologies!

Back