Did Daniel Levy get the call right at Spurs?

At some point, Tottenham will have to realise that Levy is the issue, rather than changing managers. Poch should have been supported more and assisted in a new rebuilding process.

You're correct it isn't exclusive to JM, but he does like the limelight.

The one thing he did at OT was catapult that club into the select band of clubs who have won three different European tournaments.

Just on a personal level, I happen to think his best days are behind him. If I were a Spurs fan, I don't think I'd be ecstatic right now. But what do I know?

The ironic thing is, a couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a 'gooner' in work, and obviously things ain't working too well there either and there had been talk of JM as the next manager at the Emirates. - He was definitely against that one.

All the Spurs fans I know aren't at all enthusiastic. They think he'll be gone within a couple of years.

Far too easy in football for players to get a manager sacked. Players can down tools to force change. A club isn't likely to get rid of a number of unhappy players when they can get rid of a manager far more easily.

Things weren't going well for Spurs but was that solely down to the manager? Their squad isn't balanced and their summer transfer business was poor. Part of that is undoubtedly down to the board. To go from champions league finalists to 14th in the EPL in the space of a few months suggests some serious underlying issues.

I'd like to see a club to stand by a manager in those circumstances. He should have got the rest of the season and the club should have tried to address some of the issues in the January window. Another factor may be the insistence of the EPL to close their window so early. Spurs ended up left with players who might otherwise have moved on and given Poch more scope to deal in the transfer market.

All the Spurs fans I know aren't at all enthusiastic. They think he'll be gone within a couple of years.
He probably will be gone in a couple of years. He'll probably immediately raise the standards of performance, get results, win a trophy, fall out with everyone, then leave. The job will be done by then though.

He probably will be gone in a couple of years. He'll probably immediately raise the standards of performance, get results, win a trophy, fall out with everyone, then leave. The job will be done by then though.

He might win a cup, maybe even the FA Cup, but I highly doubt he'll win the league and I'd be somewhat amazed if he managed to steer Spurs to another CL final so it actually feels like it'll be more of a sideways gamble, and probably another costly one too given they've supposedly offered him a five year deal.

Jose hasnt been a success for a while. He needs to be a success or his reputation will be completely tarnished.

I think they have made a huge mistake here and should have backed Poch. They will now have to back Jose with a stack load of cash however I can see him causing more issues then being paid off next season.
Ive been following this in the English press for a while and apparently Pochettino has been working for this end result. I think he realised he had taken the club as far as he could with this squad of players or maybe just fancied a move. Either way he leaves as a man who won nothing for Spurs and in his place they get a World class manager with a winning mentality. I think it's a smart move from Levy.

It's going to be highly entertaining for the neutral observer. Mourinho will turn Spurs into even more of a circus than it has been already and it will become even better if/when Pochettino rocks-up at Man United and Jose starts-in with the verbal jibes.

The guy got them to their highest league finish since 1990, he got them to a CL final. There's the right call and then there's this decision. Foolishness is how I would describe it.

Mourinho has got to be one of the most over rated managers in world football. His boring parl the bus football is redundant as other mangers have twigged on and know how to defeat his system. He is a cheque book manager that wastes so much money.

Spurs should have stuck with Poch and given him more financial backing. He plays a better style of football than Bourinho.

It will always remain the great unanswered question - with respect to Poch - if at the start of last season Levy had opened his wallet up a bit and allowed his manager to bring in two - possibly 3 - genuinely top class players to add to what was already a very talented Spurs side, would it have made the difference and enabled Spurs to compete on an equal footing with Man City and Liverpool? I think it would have.

Mourinho has got to be one of the most over rated managers in world football.

His CV doesn't really validate that claim, he actually had built a CV that backs up claims about him being a top class manager.

It isn't all based on reputation or posts on forums - there is a shit load of tangible and actual things as well.

Jose does not take jobs without a promise of immediately being able to spend.

Fact

Last edited:
Spurs have been pish this season , yes they are known over the years to play nice football but they have won f*** all for years ,mourinho is a winner hes won things at every club hes been at ,what do the spurs fans want ? Nice football and finish in the top 4 every year or actually winning trophies

Jose was a winner is day is over
Can see olle shown the door at Utd and porch get it

In a way yeah, i don't think Poch would have took that squad any further than he did. He's a fantastic manager but i think he hit his limits with the squad he had.

Mourinho is a better manager and will take them to new heights and it's almost a certain that they win something of note before it crashes and burns down and he gets sacked aswell.

Mourinho will do exceptionally well at spurs, he is still one of the best managers about and Man U didn't change that - They'd probably love Mourinho back to get a second place finish again.

Spurs have been pish this season , yes they are known over the years to play nice football but they have won f*** all for years ,mourinho is a winner hes won things at every club hes been at ,what do the spurs fans want ? Nice football and finish in the top 4 every year or actually winning trophies
Tbf, jose's teams can play good football, but there's no inbetween really. They either play exceptional attacking football or horrendous park the bus.

He does what he thinks is the best way to get results and say what you want about his style, he gets results and wins things.

Personally I think Spurs will play good attacking football under him, they have the players to do that and onese that fit Mourinho's aggressive play.

I think this idea that MP had taken the squad as far as it could go doesn't explain spurs recent piss poor performances - personally

I mean have a look at what teams ran them ragged - teams that had inferior players but had more fight & it happened consistently

That suggests to me something beyond - 'this is as far as I can take this squad' must be responsible

Don't think the modern day footballers enjoy playing the style of football that Mourinho insists on .Superstars want to express themselves not be tied up in a tactical battle and hauled off the field and replaced by a plodder to hang onto a one goal lead with30mins to go against the likes of Crystal Palace,so as the "special one" can look clever.This was part of the trouble at Madrid and Manchester ,clubs who's supporters insist on entertaining football.Spurs have always had that same philosophy so this is going to be interesting indeed

I think this idea that MP had taken the squad as far as it could go doesn't explain spurs recent piss poor performances - personally

I mean have a look at what teams ran them ragged - teams that had inferior players but had more fight & it happened consistently

That suggests to me something beyond - 'this is as far as I can take this squad' must be responsible
Definitely not and there's clearly issues in the dressing room (likely relating to the shagging going on) effecting on the park performances

However Mourinho will sort those issues out and if they don't comply he won't be scared to drop them.

The Champions League run really papered over the cracks.

In the League since the turn of the year, they have had 11 wins, 7 draws and 12 losses.

40 points in 30 games. 1.3 points per game.

That's 'barely above relegation' form.

In his half-decade in charge, he has reached one League Cup final, one Champions League final and finished second in the league on one occasion.

Not good enough, quite frankly.

His CV doesn't really validate that claim, he actually had built a CV that backs up claims about him being a top class manager.

It isn't all based on reputation or posts on forums - there is a shit load of tangible and actual things as well.

I don't care about his CV, he is a bus driver who plays pish football, who wants to go to watch a game only to be bored out his mind. The signings he made at Man Utd were overpriced and garbage, only an in form David De Gea saved his management there from being catastrophic although his performance was abismal.

Poch wasn't given the proper finanical backing from his board, they were saving their money to pay off the new stadium. The other summer it was so bad they didn't sign any players whatsover, that is a big problem.

Mourinho should stop torturing the fans of the teams he manages and give up being a manager and stick to being a pundit.

The Champions League run really papered over the cracks.

In the League since the turn of the year, they have had 11 wins, 7 draws and 12 losses.

40 points in 30 games. 1.3 points per game.

That's 'barely above relegation' form.

In his half-decade in charge, he has reached one League Cup final, one Champions League final and finished second in the league on one occasion.

Not good enough, quite frankly.

I like poch but it’s clear it has come to an end for both parties and has been for weeks . His £12 million payoff and prospect of a big club in January will keep him busy .

As for Spurs yes it’s a gamble but isn’t every huge managerial appointment? Perhaps mourinho is what they need to add a bit of steel and winners mentality.

I just saw his first interview there as manager and he seems right up for it - with his record write him off at your pearl .

Read an interesting story. Ericsson, Alderweireld and Vertongham all were refusing to sign new contracts and will leave in summer 2020. Pochettino wanted to sell them but Levy has no problem letting run down their contracts.
I think Pochettino realised he had no real power, it was all in the hands of Levy and his assistant. Jose will cause outrage within months and get a huge payoff (again). Only Jose is always in the right.

Levy was so involved, especially financially, in the new stadium and, despite the achievement of CL Final, he had taken his eye off the ball from a playing point of view.

For me Pochettino (MP) was a particularly good manager who was sadly stifled by lack of funds for player acquisitions and it sticks in my craw that JM is brought in to the situation when, now the stadium is complete, will enjoy backing that MP never did during his time, and will probably enjoy success despite the fact that he has been 'forgettable' since his first Chelsea stint. Yesterday's man IMO !

Poch was better for Spurs than Redknapp or Venables and is probably fighting it out with Keith Burkinshaw for Spurs 2nd greatest post-war manager (behind Nicholson, obviously).

However, it looks like he lost the dressing room and nobody comes back from that.

I think Jose gets a free hit for the rest of the season, he might have to rip up that squad but I wouldn't be surprised to see them lift the FA Cup.

Jose picked them as a possible surprise package for the league before a ball was even picked. Hard to see that now, third would be an achievement.
I wouldn’t have thought he would have gone there without assurances of funds. They have CL money and a stadium which surely is starting to bring money in now.

In the five years I have been watching PL football live Spurs, played the best football, just ahead of Liverpool and Man City. Poch just couldn't add the consistancy or final belief for them to be able to win a trophy. Is it a good move? As others have said, time will tell, but he walks into a team that are, by all accounts, split into a couple of camps which won't be easy to fix and the supporters aren't full of enthusiasm for him. He needs to get back to the Porto Jose, where he coached and moulded a team rather than bought one. He would be happier as well because he likes to be the biggest ego at a club, rather than be fighting players egos.

Spurs have been poor this calendar year - Champions League runs masking a lot of domestic disappointment.

The Spurs support has been tiring of their manager for a while - he has been the darling of the media for a while. Beyond a lot of criticism for being a “lovely guy”.

Mourinho appearing in the job is quite the development though - especially given that he seemed to be frustrated at Old Trafford because of transfer funds when he ain’t getting a whole lot more at Spurs.

Jose will win Spurs trophies, Levy will give him as much as he needs to achieve this, they play in a world class stadium, they have a first class team, they aren't too far away imo.

Not winning the league with Spurs the year Leicester won it was criminal, was never going to get a better chance than that.

The CL run was papering over the cracks, they scraped through their group on head to head away goals with negative goal difference overall.

Ajax had them dead and burried and were clearly a superior team until freak late goals from Son. They didnt really threaten to win in the final and if Barcelona had not suffered a spectacular collapse against Liverpool, they would probably have took 3 or 4 off Tottenham in the final.

His net spend was 18.1 million a season, he's got them top 4 in the previous 4 seasons and to a Champions League final last season.
What to spurs or Levy actually think they want from that?

Don't know how you can't sack your manager when last season you were in the CL final and this season 14th in the league.

Mourinho has proven himself to be a good manager and will succeed but ONLY if he gets money.

So his previous 5 or so seasons count for nothing ? No credit in the bank?

Well, you have me at a disadvantage in that I don't know the ins and outs of Man Utd's recruitment strategy.

What I saw, because it was I suppose a big story at the time was Jose willing to spend 90 mill on a player who I think was at Man Utd years before.

It's the monies being spent in the grand scheme of things, which is bonkers.
IIRC JM wanted Kante over Pogba and I think Woodward preferred Pogba. Not to mention Chelsea wanted more money than Juve for their respective player. To be fair given how much Pogba cost Kante sounds like a bargain.

Yes. Pochettino has had plenty of time to win something and hasn't been able to. Best to get someone like Mourinho in now before their best players decide to leave

The only thing worth winning in England is the title in the eyes of English fans, and Pochettino took Spurs within an inch of it twice. Similarly the CL.

League cups and FA cup were great trophies in their day but mean nothing now to EPL fans. I work with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal fans, London born and bred types, and none of them are excited about those trophies now.

Unless Mourinho wins the league or champions league he’ll be classed as a failure at Spurs and he isn’t going to win either of those in my view

Should put money on Spurs winning the League Cup next season. It’s Mourinho’s thing.

Jose was a winner is day is over
Can see olle shown the door at Utd and porch get it
2 Man U trophies and second place with a turgid Man U team would suggest he still has something to offer. I would argue the second place is a higher achievement than the trophies. He is still the most successful manager at OT since SAF

Jose lost the dressing room at Man utd and he also lost it at Chelsea. His brand of football is 80’s Italian, absolutely no free flowing attacking football whatsoever. He actually might win them a cup as their squad is defo good enough and with the new manager bounce effect he should hit the ground running.

Poch made mistakes but he built a very good side.

I thought it was madness last night but been thinking about it and it makes sense to me now.

Poch wasn’t happy and has been eyeing up a move to a PSG/Man Utd/Real job in the not so distant future so there’s a feeling of dump before he dumps you attitude going on.

Secondly, Mourinho is available but he’s not going to be available forever. And with the threat of someone like Arsenal sacking Emery and competing with Spurs for a new manager, they’ve had to act quickly (in their eyes).

No matter what happens, it’ll be box office. Enjoy the ride.

it’s a very strange one in the sense that it is simultaneously outrageous that Spurs would sack him yet you can also see the need for change. Poch should of left in the summer of his own accord.

If Levy backs Mourinho financially and Mourinho has his head together, it could be a case of right place right time with Klopp and Pep leaving within a couple years. Spurs are up there nowadays ahead of United and Arsenal, this appointment will decide if they remain as one of Englands Top 4 as Poch would of certainly kept them in about it as it is him and solely him that has made that Club top level in the first place.

Back