Did the gaffer get it wrong last night?

Definitely not.

Barisic is capable of so much more and he should have played much better.

A £35million pound CF should do much better and had a very poor game.

Lawrence, goal aside was also poor and constantly misplaced his passes.

McCausland couldn’t get involved because everyone around him was off it.

That said, I’d have rather started with Sterling, Ridvan and Dessers on the pitch. But that doesn’t mean the manager got it wrong. The starting team should have comfortably handled Killie.
Silva who got zero service?

Yep, he got it wrong, then was smart enough to change it while there was still time to save the game, which we did.

Absolutely nobody gets it right all the time, but good managers can see it and change things.

It will definitely happen again, especially given our hectic schedule coming up meaning rotation is necessary.

Burn the heretic!

If the players you select don't turn up on the night then you got it wrong I suppose.

Really don't know what to make of last night to be honest, there were points Killy players were going past our players like they were not there.
Easy to blame the pitch and maybe it is that simple.
No, the manager didn’t get it wrong, the players did.

of course he got it wrong with the starting lineup, that's why he changed it. There's nothing with that, he doesn't have a crystal ball.

it's actually crazy we have people saying it wasn't wrong

So, ultimately, he got it right.
I’d accept that whatever the plan was, it wasn’t working in the first half.
He recognised it, changed it, we won.
It’s that simple for me.
You’re contradicting yourself.

The question was not, did the gaffer do a good job. Which he clearly did as he got us 3 points in a very, very difficult place to go.

The question was did he make a mistake with the starting line up. Just because we won doesn’t mean that mistakes weren’t made.

No. It's a 90 minute game and we won. He'll have had his reasons for choosing the starting line up. May well be that some of those who finished the game wouldn't be able to play flat out for 90 minutes, so would need replaced and sometimes it's better to finish strongly than start strongly. Which we did.

I think most of us wouldn't have picked the same team. However, Big Phil is The Tinkerman - and there are very good reasons for that. He realises the injury concerns we have and he's trying to avoid any more and, perhaps more importantly, he's trying to ensure EVERY player in the squad is up to speed in terms of match fitness if they are called upon.

So there are sound reasons for the selection last night - but I'm not sure it was the game to go with what he did. Hindsight is easy, of course, but maybe last Saturday was the time to start Barisic, McCausland and Silva with the, tougher, fixture at Kilmarnock coming up.

We will see lots more rotation from here on in I'm sure.
He doesn’t tinker - he uses squad rotation. If people on here start giving him silly names the lazy media will latch on to it and, before long we’ll have them spinning it in a totally negative fashion.

It’s a very fine balancing act when you take in that pitch, the quality of opposition, the importance of 3 points and the need to protect players.
I’m glad it’s not my decision.

It is easy to question that starting 11 but Clement squad management is streets ahead of what Beale was doing. Clement seems to be doing his best to manage squad harmony and is keeping all the players sharp with a heavy schedule ahead and may well be protecting players from strains or more serious injury whereas before players have played.

You have to consider that pitch and the opponents who always make it awkward for us.

His game management, again, won us the match. He learned quickly, made the changes/adjustments and secured the three points.

So, perhaps not 100% perfect, but he got it right in the end.

Privately he'd concede he started with the wrong 11 last night. He'll have had his reasons but no one gets it right all the time.

Clemant's biggest asset is his ability to get the fundamentals right, most of the time. That, and his persona with the players has been very evident so far.

He's only human though, so any talk of magic man etc is just plain stupid to be honest. He will have learned from the Barasic error and I suspect young McCausland may well have to settle for the bench on Saturday as well.

Hoping we’re all mature enough to discuss this without it turning into everyone slagging me for having a go at Clement.

With the benefit of hindsight we’d all probably agree that wasn’t the best starting XI. Most I think probably called that prior to kickoff or at least had reservations about it.

I couldn’t believe Sterling wasn’t in there but Clement said that was because of the pitch so that wasn’t a ‘mistake’, I’m sure that was guided by medical staff and he hoped we could do the job without risking Sterling.

I’d say if Sterling started then it’d have been more likely that Dessers starts also and we’d have been more direct and physical.

D’you put the upturn in fortunes in the second half down to the subs or just the players been giving a shake. Or both?

I wasn’t surprised at Borna starting tbh but he should only be used in games where Yilmaz can be rested.

D’you think the lineup was a mistake or just, as manager, Clement has to take a wider view than just one match?

Just for clarification in no way am I having a go at Clement, if anyone has enough credit in the bank it’s him. And if it was a mistake it was likely his first, he’s come in and hit the ground running with an almost flawless record.
It’s horses for courses and picked the wrong starters. Didn’t help that many of them were very poor first half.

The starters probably do better at home or possibly even in Europe. Not a team to take the fight to Killie away.

Pre game I thought Silva would be the best choice on that pitch but service to him was poor. Can see why he went for Barisic against a physical team but good management to make the required changes.

Every single game we play between now and the end of the season is like a cup final. There is no way we can keep asking the same players to start every game when the intensity is so high. We will have to rotate at times.

That being said, for me, last night was a game for putting out our best team, and any team that includes Barisic is not our best. Would last night be the first time Clement has witnessed first hand a Barisic arse collapse? He was awful in the first half, and you have to wonder if Clement can trust him again in a game like that.

he got it massively wrong but at least he sorted it. Still don't see what McCausland offers. Doesn't seem to contribute much if anything in games. He certainly isn't a good option away from home

He’ll definitely know what to expect next time we go to Rugby park!

Probably wasn’t wise to start with Silva, Cortes and Diamande all going there against a street-wise McInnes team on that horrible pitch.

But, he sorted it at half time so credit where it’s due!

I’m not sure wrong is the correct word. While it seems to be working, not many of us are keen on the constant rotation. That’s a given. But after his comments in October, about how baffling it was for a club to have so many injuries, as well as the complete mess he inherited, you can see why he’s trying to keep every player at 100%.

The pitch will also have been taken consideration so I don’t think it’s as simple as play your best 11 or every in-form player. Whatever way you look at it, it’s been a while since we’ve had a manager who can pinpoint a problem and actually fix it in-game.

Aye he underestimated how much that joke of a park changes the game. But he wasn't long in fixing it and you know he won't make the same mistake twice.

There will be any number of reasons why the starting eleven was selected… it’s really not something that most managers will go into detail about with media or supporters though.

That he made changes that resulted in a much better second half is a great place to be though.
The players brought on made an impact, the other players responded.. it was a really good outcomes for a tricky match.

Spoiler alert: Clement will get it wrong from time to time.. on balance he gets more right than wrong so have absolutely earned the faith of the Rangers support in what he is doing.

Yes, Silva is way less effective than Dessers, Barasic is end of his usefulness and Mcausland is over used and has been showing signs of fatigue and general loss of form.

Strongest eleven every week which means Dessers leading the line, Ridvan rather than Borna and Mcausland on the bench. Though Kilmarnock are probably the hardest away game for us and the filth therefore the result and not the performance was everything last night.
McCausland bench player at best.
Yes, Silva is way less effective than Dessers, Barasic is end of his usefulness and Mcausland is over used and has been showing signs of fatigue and general loss of form.

Strongest eleven every week which means Dessers leading the line, Ridvan rather than Borna and Mcausland on the bench. Though Kilmarnock are probably the hardest away game for us and the filth therefore the result and not the performance was everything last night.

We need a fit Yilmaz for Benfica. That pitch last night could have be dangerous for the boy, we revert to Borna who screwed up within 10mins and was the cause of the penalty. From that moment there were problems, fortunately all came good and we are fit and strong for Portugal

We all seem the injury list the boss has dealt with since he arrived.

Rotation is ESSENTIAL to manage this. Granted, it was the wrong game for Silva & Borna to start ahead of Ridvan & Dessers. But we can't say rotation is wrong game to game as the gaffer knows what he is doing

Yes, I believe he got the tactics and the line up all wrong at the beginning of the match. He saw what we saw, changed the ‘underperformers’ so to speak, it worked and we won the game. Happy days

Tactical deployment that wasn't working, then he quickly changed the employment of a few players, that then worked for him.

He doesn’t tinker - he uses squad rotation. If people on here start giving him silly names the lazy media will latch on to it and, before long we’ll have them spinning it in a totally negative fashion.
Chill ma man.:) Way too serious on a day when we are sitting top of the table. Personally I’ve no interest in what the media have to say, it’s only results that matter.

We need to use the squad or were winning nothing. Not his fault his options are what they are.

For me the key vulnerability from lastnight was how we handled Kilmarnock’s dead ball plays .

We were very poor in that regard .Furthermore we never made any of note from our dead balls despite having the opportunities .

As for the penalty call against Lunny I just totally disagree that is a valid penalty .

Those two aspects defend that game until we roared back in the 2H imo .

Perhaps but Kilmarnock deserve credit. Their press was decent and they defended well.

Yes.

That first half was an absolute mess.

Thankfully 2 quick goals in succession saved us. As did Jack Butland.

Last night was a kick up the arse that we needed.

As the number of league games ticks down I hope to see significantly less rotation.
What do you mean by ‘kick in the arse we needed’?

Yes he did but he put it right at HT
I can actually see why he didn’t go with Yilmaz from the start, Kilmarnock were throwing long balls from the keeper down Borna’s throat all first half and he had both Armstrong and (I think) Mayo to contend with, Cortes not offering much protection understandably.

Yes, he did. I have already said so on a thread earlier. Also mentioned it before ko last night in a WhatsApp group and everyone agreed with me. Made it an even more nerve wracking watch.

Disregarding the fact his initial line-up was wrong, I’m more impressed with the way he’s spotted the issues and then rectified them at half-time.

I think he knows now that he can’t trust Barisic fully by starting him, but he knows he will need to be handy to be available if needed. He knew to change it up when it wasn’t working, that’s so much a better way to look at it.

If it was Beale, he would have waited till the 70th minute before switching, putting us at more risk of losing the game.

His management skills and instinct are superb.

Hoping we’re all mature enough to discuss this without it turning into everyone slagging me for having a go at Clement.

With the benefit of hindsight we’d all probably agree that wasn’t the best starting XI. Most I think probably called that prior to kickoff or at least had reservations about it.

I couldn’t believe Sterling wasn’t in there but Clement said that was because of the pitch so that wasn’t a ‘mistake’, I’m sure that was guided by medical staff and he hoped we could do the job without risking Sterling.

I’d say if Sterling started then it’d have been more likely that Dessers starts also and we’d have been more direct and physical.

D’you put the upturn in fortunes in the second half down to the subs or just the players been giving a shake. Or both?

I wasn’t surprised at Borna starting tbh but he should only be used in games where Yilmaz can be rested.

D’you think the lineup was a mistake or just, as manager, Clement has to take a wider view than just one match?

Just for clarification in no way am I having a go at Clement, if anyone has enough credit in the bank it’s him. And if it was a mistake it was likely his first, he’s come in and hit the ground running with an almost flawless record.
I don’t think he made mistakes as such. Silva has been playing reasonably well whilst many on here don’t rate Dessers so Silva wasn’t a mistake. Nor was Borna a mistake, he’s got a pretty decent record. Yeah he had a bit of a mare last night but that happens. If I was allowed to bet with the benefit of hindsight I’d be a very rich man. Luckily after the match started we gained that benefit and with that Yilmaz and Dessers instantly became the first picks.

The pitch takes a lot of getting used to especially with the slick passing moves we make. The constant references to how shit it is must get through to the players. It takes time to settle on it but we did that eventually. If you say that Silva and Borna shouldn’t have been in the starting 11, then that ignores that another 5 or 6 who had bad first halves also.

No, the manager didn’t get it wrong, the players did.
I don't think anyone would have picked Borna to start last night, hard to argue that was not the wrong choice.
But I do take your point mate, sometimes it's not your night, wee Ross for example, does not make him a bad player.

The team that started should have been good enough to see off Kilmarnock but never performed as well as the manager expected. If he started with Dessers, Sterling, Ridvan and things didn't go as well (Dodgy vars, refs) we would have been left with Silva, Borna etc to salvage it

Yes, but only when it comes to Borna against Armstrong. To be fair to Clement he said everyone had a clean slate when he came in and Borna had performed well untill yesterday. I don't think Phil makes that mistake again.

When it comes to Sterling, he admitted it was the surface and his recent injury which dictated that decision. Silva and Dessers are on rotation, but think if we were picking our starting 11, most of us will have Dessers.

But as many have mentioned, he's quick to make decisions when it isn't working and I have no concern he won't learn from last night.

Most of us thought pre match it would a tough slog and it was. That would have been the case whoever started.Difference between Mr Clement,Gio and Beale is that latter pair wouldn't have made changes until late on. Its nice to have a person in charge that isn't a 'plab B is to do plan A' better manager

Trying to rotate and rest players because we have couple big games coming up now. Didn't work as planned so changed it.

No. Is anybody aware there were 2 teams on the pitch? He put out a team for the first half that he thought would do the job he wanted (not necessarily the best team - you don't always do that for 90 minutes) but Kilmarnock may well have played in a different way to what he thought and nullified some of our players. He saw that, he changed it and we won. He might always have been intending to change it at half time regardless of the score. We will probably never know but to just assume he made a mistake is wrong.

Back