Did we play that badly?

RFC_LOYAL

Don’t get me wrong, I was as infuriated as many of us after dropping points yesterday.

The immediate reaction is to be negative, to knee-jerk back to results of the last few seasons in similar vein.

We didn’t perform like we did at Tynecastle in the cup, or league, where we created virtually zero in the way of chances.

We played with fluidity, had many great chances and, for me, that’s the biggest thing about this team, missing great chances.

I understand we need to be streetwise and we absolutely need to reinforce the centre of the park. It is how we react at Motherwell on Sunday. If we fail again then the alarm bells must ring out.

We didn't play badly but we missed 3 fantastic opportunities ourselves and pretty much gift wrapped 2 goals for them.

Rather play badly and win than put in good performances and come away with little to show for it.

Not really but it’s the story of the last two seasons that we didn’t pick up the points.

We should've beat them easily, two silly goals conceded and too many wasted chances. Like you I don't think we played badly just the same old story of failing to kill the game when we go ahead.

You are right, but that's what makes dropped points like Livi worse. Dropping points at Easter Rd isnt uncommon, but we still have these other performances like Livi in us. Given that they arent going to slip up much it leaves no room for error

Someone posted a stat that the enablers have played last 18 league games, won 16, drew 2. If that's true, we've simply no wriggle room for dropping points when we really should have won. Motherwell will be similar. Niggly, off the ball stuff, attempts to maim, which will throw us off kilter. It's early, but if the mentally challengeds keep it up, then more points dropped in the next few games, could see the season deflate. Hopefully, beat M'well, and the mentally challengeds, and the mood will lighten a bit.

Didn't play badly but didn't play well either. For every good bit of play there were slack passes and wasted opportunities.

Don’t get me wrong, I was as infuriated as many of us after dropping points yesterday.

The immediate reaction is to be negative, to knee-jerk back to results of the last few seasons in similar vein.

We didn’t perform like we did at Tynecastle in the cup, or league, where we created virtually zero in the way of chances.

We played with fluidity, had many great chances and, for me, that’s the biggest thing about this team, missing great chances.

I understand we need to be streetwise and we absolutely need to reinforce the centre of the park. It is how we react at Motherwell on Sunday. If we fail again then the alarm bells must ring out.

I was really annoyed after the Livi game as we were so poor in front of goal. Just side to side stuff.

Yesterday wasn't a game where you walked away raging. Annoyed at dropping points but even with 3 very influential players out in Roofe, Aribo and Jack we still went there and should have comfortably won. I felt that was a positive, in a sense.

All very fair points but all that matters is winning. Winning is our DNA.
The meltdown among our fans is there for all to see. I include myself in that.
The way a defeat or draw affects most of us is only going to ramp upwards until we see silverware.

No. We weren’t at our best though. The panic after a draw away is crazy though. We will and they will drop points. We’ve been to hibs and aberdeen. They haven’t. In a few weeks we’ll go to their place also. keep calm.

We were lazy and casual. We didn't do the hard yards and put challenges in and allowed the game to get away from us. Yes, we played badly.

While I agree we should have been able to kill off the game and conceded stupidly, their second was offside. No matter how good you play, if the officials give that as a goal you can't do much.

No and that makes it worse. We played well enough and still threw away 2 points

We hardly threw the points away....It was an offside goal which if correctly ruled offside wouldn't have stood ,we win the game and would now be talking about a good comeback at a difficult venue

We never played well at all and came close to winning the game. If we’d held on 2-1 it would have been one of the victories that people say is a sign of champions.

Sadly we as usual make mistakes and it costs us the 3 points meaning we now have a different outlook at the game

No we didn’t. We scored two excellent goals and created several more good chances. We were undone by two moments of sloppy defending.

Hibs have improved significantly.That’s the toughest game we will play in the league this season (outside Old Firm matches). I’d be willing to bet money that Celtic will not take 6 points from Easter Road this season

Last edited:
Played pretty well I thought. Arfield scores and this thread doesnt happen. However, and yet again, poor officiating cost points. And you can not ever make that right. Big week coming up.

It wasn't our best performance. Slack defending gave Hibs two easy goals. However if we had our shooting boots on we would have won the game comfortably.

For me it has been a big concern that we have passed up on so many good chances to score in every league game so far this season. I do not expect us to convert every chance we make but our success rate must be dreadful and yesterday we paid the price for that profligacy.

Until we have more of a killer instinct upfront I believe results like yesterday will happen often enough to blow a hole in our title aspirations.

No, we didn't. Having said that nobody wants to be the best side in the league and finish the season in second place. Early days but we should've won it.

Our tempo was off. Our passing was off. Our concentration was off. Our cohesion was off. Our link up in final third was off. Our finishing was absolutely abysmal.

Yes, we were very poor. There can be no denying it.

No we should have won the game. Defending at both goals was honking though and we failed to take our chances to kill it off.

No we didn't. On another day we could have won that match by 3 goals.

We were uncharacteristically bad defensively and lax infront of goal. Where im a bit concerned is it follows a pattern of slack play after a break. Hopefully we work on that because the next international break isn't far away

Someone posted a stat that the enablers have played last 18 league games, won 16, drew 2. If that's true, we've simply no wriggle room for dropping points when we really should have won. Motherwell will be similar. Niggly, off the ball stuff, attempts to maim, which will throw us off kilter. It's early, but if the mentally challengeds keep it up, then more points dropped in the next few games, could see the season deflate. Hopefully, beat M'well, and the mentally challengeds, and the mood will lighten a bit.

It’s worse than that, I saw a stat on Twitter, the filths last 36 domestic games, they have won 33, lost to us and drew 2 games to Livi and Killie, both of them on the plastic pitch.

We are undoubtedly a better side than them but their consistency and winning when they don’t play well is the difference unfortunately.

We didn't play badly but we missed 3 fantastic opportunities ourselves and pretty much gift wrapped 2 goals for them.

Rather play badly and win than put in good performances and come away with little to show for it.

this in a nutshell - I said on a previous thread before yesterday the thing that worried me about that lot is they have played poorly so far but they win by the odd goal and take 3 points time and time again - we don’t seem capable of that “getting it over the line” wins when we don’t hit top performance.

We started well but they came into the game got the goal and that knocked us off our stride a bit and we were poor too many moves breaking down in the final 3rd. We get the goal at the right time and looking like we would kick on in the 2nd half but I thought after we got the 2nd goal I thought they couldn't cope with us and Kent should have put the game to bed but they tweaked it a bit and got the 2nd goal. Bar Arfields chance we didn't create much after that and in the end a draw probably the right result.

It was nowhere near as bad as people are making out to be it was a frustrating day but the way some go on you would think we won every game in the past and its a shock at dropping points.

We weren’t good enough in the first half at all but with the Kent/Arfield misses and the offside goal it was really one of those days where we up the tempo too late and get unlucky

Correct.

In our last 23 Premiership games the records are:

Rangers W15 D4 L4 (49 points)
Celtic W20 D2 L1 (62 points)

Last season Celtic had runs of 6 wins in a row, 11 wins in a row and then 8 wins in a row. The furthest we got was 5 wins in a row.

From around the 17th minute until Morelos scored we were shite. So for about 30 minutes, near enough a third of the game.

When you couple that with fannying about wasting chances to increase your lead and needlessly losing the ball in dangerous areas, you get days like yesterday.

Not the first time we've been incapable of holding onto a lead under Gerrard. Just the 12th time in around about two years now.

Watched it again and no we didn't.
Both of our full backs are suspect defensively though. We badly miss Ryan Jack in these games as well .

I thought there was a slackness prevalent throughout the team.

Kamara conceding possession so easily was one of the most frustrating aspects.

Passes in the final third to no one in particular happened far too often.

After fighting to get back in front a defensive blunder costing us yet again. (Granted it was offside, but if the lines are cleared there’s no offside)

Frustrating, but Hibs have made a decent start and that could prove to be a valuable point down the line.

No. We weren’t at our best though. The panic after a draw away is crazy though. We will and they will drop points. We’ve been to hibs and aberdeen. They haven’t. In a few weeks we’ll go to their place also. keep calm.

If it’s been said one, it’s been said a million times, but we’ll go again.

It’s not the draw that’s the problem, it’s the predictable performance and the same old mistakes that are costing us points. That’s why people are annoyed.

9 time out 10 we win that game. We were the better team by far... we had a good goal chalked off, their equaliser was offside and they should have had at least one man sent off... unfortunately the officials cost us today. That's the bigger worry for me right now... they just don't want to see us winning #55.

Total over reaction on here.

We were fine. Not our best performance, but certainly not our worst. To come out of it with a draw at Easter Road in those circumstances is a decent result.

We move on still unbeaten, top of the league and with the best defence.

We failed to convert 2 or 3 glorious chances and offside or not made a howler of a defensive error. Those apart , we played well.

No we didn't

We actually played some decent stuff in spells

Individuals cost us on the day, Borna, Goldson, Kent and Arfield - play that game again and with a performance like that minus individual errors and incompetent refereeing we come away with a comprehensive victory and 3 points

Yes it was disappointing dropping points, especially from a winning position but a lot of the hysteria since has been way OTT

We conceded our first goals of the season, we’re currently 1 point clear at the top of the league and have 4 old firm games still to play. We need to keep the head

On the face of it no. We missed three sitters (4, if you count Arfield's double chance separately, both very scorable.)

But Alfie and Arfield both also scored in the game, and Kent has been our most productive player this season so far.

We were also shafted by an offside goal and multiple bad refereeing decisions.

The problem is the way we conceded the goals. Barisic being too slow to get out to his man, Goldson playing a slack pass to an opposition player in our half, Tavernier showing a one-footed winger onto his good foot in a dangerous position.

The same old culprits, making the same old mistakes away from home against a top 6 side, for the third season in a row is incredibly frustrating.

The first half was brutal and noticeably worse than how we have been playing. Even when playing well in the second half, they were far too easily passing through our midfield and defence (it wasn't loads of times, but it was often enough to be a problem).

The truth is we had enough on the field to win the game but we're missing huge players for us (Aribo, Roofe, Jack) and constantly having to shuffle the pack middle to front because of injuries – there is no way that's not going to have an impact on how you're playing.

Obviously you also can't discount the fact that they were allowed to stamp on our players' heels, elbow our players in the face and score an offside goal.

If we drop points when we play bad then you can understand, but to play decent and drop points isn't the form of champions.

The same players making the same mistakes have cost us over the past few seasons and they don't learn the lesson, and they repeat the same errors time and time again without being dropped.

Tav constantly allows his player to lift his head and switch the ball at will - that should never happen.

Goldson turns into Beckenbauer and costs us.

But they'll be playing the next game no doubt.

FF has only 2 settings mate ,shite and brilliant, for me in most games this season we have been more than decent without being brilliant.
I think this not conceding until Hibs has given people the impression that our defence is rock solid which it clearly isn't.
The centre half area is pretty decent with the options we have there however the full back areas can be a concern,defensively for me Tav and Borna are a 5 out of 10 but going forward they are an 8 out of 10.
We should have won yesterday but I was worried when Boyle and Nisbet were attacking our full backs.

I suppose you could say we played well in parts. However, a couple of defensive howlers kind of bring it down to a poor performance. I suppose the fact there were a couple of absolutely MASSIVE referee howlers in there played a big part too.

Bottom line. We dropped points against a team we should still be beating. It can't be considered a positive.

Correct.

In our last 23 Premiership games the records are:

Rangers W15 D4 L4 (49 points)
Celtic W20 D2 L1 (62 points)

Last season Celtic had runs of 6 wins in a row, 11 wins in a row and then 8 wins in a row. The furthest we got was 5 wins in a row.
Bleak reading mate. We need switched on and firing now, and in basically every game. Bizarrely, for most of us, the Tim's are a game we can be reasonably confident of doing well in. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that dropped points against shite is just around the corner.

Back