Diego Maradona has died

If there was ever a "one man team" it could be levelled at Argentina and/or Napoli.

Absolute genius. Best ever? Debate for a different date.

Enry38DXMAQGWwK

Farewell Diego Armando Maradona.

For all the sideshows the memory will always be of a footballer who displayed and shared his great gift to a awestruck world.

Seriously sick of 2020 now, utter shit year.
News of reality star heavy d taking his own life as well today only 47.
just absolutely shite

3 times? I wouldn’t have brought this up because it’s not the classiest thing to do when someone’s just died, but since someone else did and it’s now being discussed, he was a bit of a shitty person, there’s no point denying it now just because he’s passed away. An almost otherworldly talent, but the Ricksen thing wasn’t a one off, he just wasn’t a very good person. And what he did to Fernando was just absolutely heartless.

That's not true. There are countless examples of charitable endeavours and gestures he did for local communities, kids, ex-teammates etc.

As with most and especially those in such a spotlight, there are different sides to his personality. Not all positive. But to write him off as an individual is wrong.

God will shake his hand.
I'm sure there are many English footballers who have handled the ball into the net, they needed an excuse for losing that game, forgetting about his genius 2nd goal.

People being flippant about his lifestyle etc need to appreciate what Maradona means to a country and a people who see him as a god for what he brought to their country . This is also an utter tragedy for people of my age in our 40s because Maradona was part of all our childhoods and part of that died today when he passed on .

It's really sad to lose a football great, especially at only 60 years old. RIP Diego, your legacy will live on forever.

I don't think people who say he 'wasn't a good person' know what he has done in his life.

Yes, he has made mistakes and the Ricksen thing was shit, but single examples of behaviour shouldn't be used to paint someone as good or bad I think.
Ricksen himself battled with alcohol and it caused him to act like a bastard at times, but ultimately he was still a good man who had his demons.

I was born beginning of the sixties & was luck enough to see Pele do his stuff for Brazil but we didn’t see much of him in a Santos shirt but still knew he was the greatest of that era, along with George Best.
Same can be said in the 70s, Cruyff was brilliant to watch. What a player , Beckenbaur too.
We are lucky to have Messi & Ronaldo strut their stuff week in week out today, but let’s get to Maradona the ultimate king in the eighties. For me his achievements stack up more. Barcelona was his destination in his younger days where it didn’t quite work out for him, but it was with Napoli he shone, winning the league for them, & then onto even bigger things & lifting the World Cup in ‘86. It was his tournament, he was the shining star above everybody else.
He was massively flawed of course, & has died fairly young.
He was one of the greatest footballers no question. RIP

I was lucky enough to see Maradona play - and score - against Scotland, in a friendly at sun-kissed Hampden Park in June 1979. Scorcher of a day, seared in my memory. He was a wonder kid, like me just short of his 19th birthday, but just a shade more talented with a ball at his feet.

Who can forget the incredible goal he scored against England en route to winning the 1986 World Cup.

Gone too soon (although we all know why). RIP, one of the greatest players of all time.

Have you seen the Maradona documentary?
Absolutely amazing
complex character in that film as he's always been his whole life, but how he was treated after Italia 90 was pretty shocking from people who claimed to love him in Naples

love him or hate him, you cannot deny he was one of the greatest footballers of all time and as much as it's ended early, what a life he lived

Very sad news.What a player.If ever a team was carried by one man then that national team at that World Cup 1986 was.Very sad to hear this.

I don't think people who say he 'wasn't a good person' know what he has done in his life.

Yes, he has made mistakes and the Ricksen thing was shit, but single examples of behaviour shouldn't be used to paint someone as good or bad I think.
Ricksen himself battled with alcohol and it caused him to act like a bastard at times, but ultimately he was still a good man who had his demons.

Booted a fan, shot journalists with an air rifle, beat the shit out his girlfriend, had a severely disabled and dying man travel for a meeting and stood him up without any notice. That’s a lot of big mistakes for one man, I feel like the urge to look past all that wouldn’t be the same if it were a lesser player, certainly wouldn’t be the same if it was a tim.

Anyway, I’d certainly prefer to remember him for his genius so I’ll attempt to put the rest to the back of my mind now.

I was lucky enough to see Maradona play - and score - against Scotland, in a friendly at sun-kissed Hampden Park in June 1979. Scorcher of a day, seared in my memory. He was a wonder kid, like me just short of his 19th birthday, but just a shade more talented with a ball at his feet.

Who can forget the incredible goal he scored against England en route to winning the 1986 World Cup.

Gone too soon (although we all know why). RIP, one of the greatest players of all time.
My grandad was there too and says the hype even then was off the scale.

Anyone who watched the Maradona documentary will know he wasnt solely to blame for his downfall. He had a ton of pressure put on him by mafia, by so called friends and by scum who wanted to leech off of him.

Im certainly not saying he was blameless, but I wonder how differently his life would have turned out, if he had been allowed to leave Napoli when he asked to.

A player you can actually use the word legend about.

R.I.P. Diego

Happier times for him here in one of my favourite clips
Amazing. I remember a video years ago, might have been Saint and Greavsie and it showed you him hitting rabonas for 60-70 yards, further than most of us could punt a ball at the time but I can't find it anywhere.

Back