Diego Maradona has died

Was also there at Hampden and he was brilliant, to me he was brilliant.
Flawed but a fantastic footballer.

In my lifetime he was the best I have seen. Diego was a talent that could mesmerise. He just was so good to watch. The documentary released showed how difficult and complex life was for him. Sad to see him go a real superstar.

Maradona is up there with Pele for me with regards to sheer individual brilliance. He lit up world cups and was determined to win it for his country.

Sure Messi and Ronaldo are brilliant, but you could take Maradona in his prime, put him in a pub team to take on anyone, and the pub team would do alright.

Maradona.
Just the name conjures up the magic of football.
Diego the devil, Diego the lunatic, Diego the angel, Diego the one-man team, Diego the supreme conjurer, Diego probably the ultimate football legend.
Mankind has lost one of its most enigmatic sons in the entire history of the human race.
Yes, ... Diego was that good and maybe, sometimes ... that bad.

Maradona.
Just the name conjures up the magic of football.
Diego the devil, Diego the lunatic, Diego the angel, Diego the one-man team, Diego the supreme conjurer, Diego probably the ultimate football legend.
Mankind has lost one of its most enigmatic sons in the entire history of the human race.
Yes, ... Diego was that good and maybe, sometimes ... that bad.
Fantastic post.

I was lucky enough to see Maradona play - and score - against Scotland, in a friendly at sun-kissed Hampden Park in June 1979. Scorcher of a day, seared in my memory. He was a wonder kid, like me just short of his 19th birthday, but just a shade more talented with a ball at his feet.

Who can forget the incredible goal he scored against England en route to winning the 1986 World Cup.

Gone too soon (although we all know why). RIP, one of the greatest players of all time.
Very sad news - and so young.
Like you and others I was lucky enough to see him at Hamden in 79. Up the Rangers end with pals aged 14 and there had been paper talk about this brilliant young talent.
I think he went on to play at Wembley the following midweek and may have come in as a sub.
For me the best I’ve seen and one of very few who was so good he could, at the top level, play like the hugely talented kid in school that just dribbled past everyone and won games on his own.

sad news, a fantastic football player.
And larger than life character who lived life right on the very edge.
RIP Diego.

He is God to them,They even have a church named after him
Everyone loves him even the rival supporters of Boca Juniors because he was great for their country
That doesn’t happen in our back water of a country
News readers are in tears announcing the news. Just watched a bit there the guy could barely get the words out.

Even back in 79 my dad wouldn’t have crossed the road to watch Scotland but he got us tickets for Maradona coming to Hampden. Even though they were world champions my recollection was we were going to see Maradona the new sensation rather than the team.

We weren’t disappointed. He was just sensational. He made decent internationals look like skittles. If I hadn’t been so thrilled by the skill I would have felt sorry for them.

There is no right answer to who is the best but he’s certainly the best I’ve ever seen. A joy and a privilege to watch him play.

Very sorry to see this. In my opinion the greatest of all time, Pele was before my time so can’t really compare with him. Missi and Ronald are great players but could either of them have gone to Napoli and achieve what Maradona did? I don’t think so

The best player I’ve ever seen and only really saw him at World Cups etc, the coverage in the 80’s of world football not like what it is today.

Back