Diego Maradona has died

Even back in 79 my dad wouldn’t have crossed the road to watch Scotland but he got us tickets for Maradona coming to Hampden. Even though they were world champions my recollection was we were going to see Maradona the new sensation rather than the team.

We weren’t disappointed. He was just sensational. He made decent internationals look like skittles. If I hadn’t been so thrilled by the skill I would have felt sorry for them.

There is no right answer to who is the best but he’s certainly the best I’ve ever seen. A joy and a privilege to watch him play.
No right answer, I’ve seen Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo etc but for me Diego would shade it. My reasoning is that he won on both Continents, he won Serie A for Napoli twice, he won World Cups. It’s only a personal view.

No right answer, I’ve seen Pele, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo etc but for me Diego would shade it. My reasoning is that he won on both Continents, he won Serie A for Napoli twice, he won World Cups. It’s only a personal view.
I think it’s fair to say nobody has ever been as pivotal to the success of their club and their country At the very top level. There were great players in the Argentina and Napoli teams but they just don’t win without him.

Taken far too young, but what a player, the GOAT for me, and he lived some life.
The documentary about him when he is managing a team in Mexico (Netflix) is superb.
RIP Diego.

Unbelievable talent no debate at all he's up with the very best arguably the most naturally talented ever. It's tragic his life was impacted by his lifestyle but maybe he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

For me despite that I found it hard to love him his mindset and approach had that Latin aspect that veered into areas I didn't care for.

Arguably the best of all time, but certainly in that very, very small club of the greats who defined the game. Gone too soon. RIP Diego Armando Maradona.

Every team who won the WC were a great team and would probably have won anyway taking any player out. Argentina would not have won 1986 without Maradona.
Pele, Moore, Beckenbauer, Zidane etc were sublime but not as influential as Maradona.

Just a proper baller. The last of the real footballing entertainers and enigmas. A life lived to the full despite his passing at 60. What a terrible loss but his legacy for us more seasoned individuals will last. RIP Diego.

He joins another legend in George Best who also died on this day 25 November fifteen years ago.

RIP both.
As someone from NI, my thoughts on this sad are mainly towards the similarities with George, yes.

Both world class players - had George played for a higher profile national team than NI he would have had an even higher profile - but both sadly with “issues” that led to their passing at a premature age.

Very sad to hear today, and sad to see his decline in health over the years the same as George.

Sad. I remember the pictures of him at the World Cup, a man clearly in the throes of an addiction that'd kill him, and it was considered a great laugh.

People watch football for different reasons, I suppose, but the legend of Maradona - his life, career, its ups and downs - will almost certainly never be replicated in sport again. The greatest footballer of all time debate will rumble on but there's no doubt that from the greatest players in history Maradona is by far the most captivating, interesting and fascinating, and the reason he'll be remembered much more passionately than Pele, Cruyff, Messi, Ronaldo, etc.

Unbelievable talent no debate at all he's up with the very best arguably the most naturally talented ever. It's tragic his life was impacted by his lifestyle but maybe he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

For me despite that I found it hard to love him his mindset and approach had that Latin aspect that veered into areas I didn't care for.
Would that be because he was a communist?

Some brilliant pictures going around. What an image.

EnslHuCVoAADhlf

He was an absolute genius on the pitch mate, I think many of us would share your opinion on his "way of life"...however, he will be revered for decades to come.

I've told this "I nearly met him" story before.

After the World Cup they played Scotland in a friendly at Hampden, which my dad took me to for my birthday. The night after the game, because no one could watch me, my mum forced me to go to Wine and Cheese event at House of Fraser up the toon. I was fn livid about it. Sitting there in a huff watching all these wumin shopping and swanning aboot....when the whole Argentina squad came up the elevator. I remember at the time Maradona's insurance policy did not allow him to play friendly's for Argentina so he did not make the journey......but I got all their autographs including Burrachaga and Batista......which ended up making my night....

When I went to Boca v River he was in that box that Lineker speaks of, I have a photo of it - can't tell it is him but he drove the Crowd wild when he appeared.

That's part of why I think he's such a legend despite his troubles. He never forgot where he came from and acted like a genuine fan of his club and the game. Its easy to identify with as a normal fan.

Best player of my generation and the ultimate flawed genius.

Messi obviously comes close and has been incredibly consistent but for sheer talent DM was on a different planet - a different ball game if you like. He could make players look like they were in slow motion and he was using a "cheat mode". His change of pace, close control and balance, nobody could live with that.

Absolutely explosive at his best and what he did at Napoli was complete Hollywood - at that time Italian defenders were basically hired thugs and yet he still thrived.

RIP genius.

Last edited:
A genius of that there is no doubt but the more I see his goals v England, on a loop on all news channels, the more I'm convinced Terry Butcher scored the second. Can't seem to pause it enough to scrutinise as much as the first goal has been.
As a kid in 86 I thought his game in the semi final v Belgium was far better.

Legend.

A ridiculous talent, think of the hundreds of millions of people that dreamt of being a footballer and never made it and he’s lived knowing he was the best ever.

must have been an unreal feeling.

Back