Diego Maradona has died

I've said anytime this mans name is brought up he is the Greatest player ever, take away any faults he had in his life his genius was supreme

I also posted this in another thread :

If there was the same TV, Social media exposure when he played as there is now No one would even try and argue that this wee nut case of a man was the greatest player ever to entertain the football world

Napoli are renaming the San Paolo after him. Italian law forbid it previously as the person has to be deceased.

Enso9qNW4AMDUOH

nice wee cartoon there :cool:

They say it's a team game, but he won Napoli 2 Serie A championships largely single-handed.
I think he edges it by winning a World Cup single handed ( no pun intended ) and for winning an Italian league with what was basically a mid to low league team before he joined them..
Fantastic player.

He's a genius, no doubt. But I hate this myth that gets peddled.

Last edited:
Love this picture

Again, great photo but it's not as it seems. There's a different angle that shows what's actually going on in the picture.

Anyway I don't want to take away from him as a player but I just don't see the need to over romanticise something when he's good enough without all of that.

BTW Liam Gallagher's story about when they met is brilliant. Looks like a cracking night as well...

UzE1NA3.png

Maradona, Pele, cruyyff, were the three best players I've ever seen, two on the telly, and cruyyff at Ibrox. 3 simply the best players.

In terms of raw talent Garrincha might have been level with him and he was also batshit crazy.

But then I'm basing that on limited footage compared to Diego. That said a book I read about Garrincha seems to confirm he was as good as some of the clips suggest.

I'd still go for Diego as the best ever though. I remember being fairly obsessed by his performance at the 1986 finals.

The argument will rage on.. Maradona for me is the greatest, Messi is very very close.. Thrown in Best, Pele, Cruyff, Eusabio the list goes on..

A genius of that there is no doubt but the more I see his goals v England, on a loop on all news channels, the more I'm convinced Terry Butcher scored the second. Can't seem to pause it enough to scrutinise as much as the first goal has been.
As a kid in 86 I thought his game in the semi final v Belgium was far better.

Legend.
He didn't. There is images and footage from behind which proves he didn't.

Best of them all. Saw him playing once when he scored his first ever goal for Argentina.

Stood out a mile on the pitch that day.

Sorry to see him go.
I was there that day too mate
My dad took me to my first Scotland game, I was only 8 and my lasting memory is everyone raving about the 18 year old number 10 that tore us apart.
It wasn’t till a few years later when I was a bit older that I realised that wee guy they were talking about was the mighty Maradona.
I actually feel privelaged that I got to see that.

I was there that day too mate
My dad took me to my first Scotland game, I was only 8 and my lasting memory is everyone raving about the 18 year old number 10 that tore us apart.
It wasn’t till a few years later when I was a bit older that I realised that wee guy they were talking about was the mighty Maradona.
I actually feel privelaged that I got to see that.
The excitement surrounding Maradona outside of Argentina had been building since the World Cup in ‘78.

Remember, this is before the days of YouTube and the internet so your only real access to what was going on in the football world was Shoot magazine and Football Focus with Bob Wilson on a Saturday morning.

Even then as Scotland went off in search of glory on the other side of the world we saw clips of this kid doing unbelievable things with a football, a tennis ball, an orange, or pretty much anything vaguely spherical in shape.

I can remember being gobsmacked at his ability to keep the ball so close to him almost like there was some invisible magnetic force at play.

I went out into the back lane to practice what I’d seen and there was a bunch of other kids doing likewise.

We then found out that despite this incredible talent he was felt to be too young to be included in Argentina’s squad for the World Cup and I remember being really disappointed at that.

So when the newly crowned champions rolled up to Hampden a year later I was there to see Maradona. Forget all the guys who’d lifted the trophy the previous summer and forget all our own homegrown stars, he was the beacon of light I was gravitating to. I’m sure that was the same for many others that day.

And he didn’t disappoint.

He remained my ultimate football hero from that day on.

A little fat footballing god now in the hands of his own maker.

RIP.

Scenes in Argentina now are unreal, literally thousands of people lining up to see his coffin, jerseys, flags etc all being thrown on.

Did anyone hear that celtic fan that phoned the go radio forum that said he was a good player that was up there with Jimmy Johnson in terms of talent?

They never fail to surprise with their level of delusion

Seeing those images in Argentina is crazy...

People genuinely being hysterical in their grief, riot police in attendance just in case,...

Did anyone hear that celtic fan that phoned the go radio forum that said he was a good player that was up there with Jimmy Johnson in terms of talent?

They never fail to surprise with their level of delusion
We've got a poster on here who put Gazza in the top 5 players of all time mate and another who reckons Gazza was better than Michael Laudrup...

I think the Seville Calculator is in play here with the amount of people claiming to have seen him at Hampden...
He was an amazing player but I'm glad you posted in response to the "won Napoli the league/Argentina the World Cup singled handed" thing, and I can't see the picture you replied to but I assume it's the one showing 4 or 5 Belgium players seemingly lining up to tackle him, when in actuality it's a wall from a free kick that's just broke?

Seeing those images in Argentina is crazy...

People genuinely being hysterical in their grief, riot police in attendance just in case,...
Already said it on this thread newsreaders were breaking down announcing the news last night. 1 guy could barely get the words out.

He was an amazing player but I'm glad you posted in response to the "won Napoli the league/Argentina the World Cup singled handed" thing, and I can't see the picture you replied to but I assume it's the one showing 4 or 5 Belgium players seemingly lining up to tackle him, when in actuality it's a wall from a free kick that's just broke?

There was a show on earlier when I was flicking through the channels. Random panel of people and some guy who said he was born in 1987 was talking about Maradona and he was saying he won the World Cup single handedly and same with Napoli.

Back