Diego Maradona has died

Since his death the English media have made the most of his hand of god, rolling out Shilton etc to decry a footballing legend . Maradona was on a different planet to any of them. Only Lineker comes out of what I’ve seen with a bit of dignity
Shilton is a tosser and cost England in world cups. Never his fault.

There’s an even worse photo doing the rounds with one of those ghoulish funeral workers posing with his corpse, this one is before the body’s even been dressed.

I remember his Argentina debut v Scotland at Hampden, listening on the radio, I was 9, playing with my cars on the rug out the back while I listened.

The obsession with the hand ball by the UK media is ridiculous. And guys like Shilton need to get on with their lives.

He cheated, big deal.

There's players diving left right and centre during each and every match in the EPL. That's cheating too.

I'm sure we'll see the same outrage if Kane "goes down easily" at the Euros next year and England win the tournament from the resultant penalty kick.

Was gonna say that, those guys might need to leave the country for good. Classless cùnts, I hope some of these mental Boca fans get a hold of them.

2/3 dead and other one is critical apparently. I got sent a picture on my phone of one of them murdered, via one of my group chats. I’d never forward such an image myself, nor ask for it, hence why I’m not posting it.

Not sure it’s true but it does looks like the Boca Ultras have got to them.

2/3 dead and other one is critical apparently. I got sent a picture on my phone of one of them murdered, via one of my group chats. I’d never forward such an image myself, nor ask for it, hence why I’m not posting it.

Not sure it’s true but it does looks like the Boca Ultras have got to them.
It's not true mate, it's been debunked.

For all the English media and players go on about the handball in 86, the one against the Soviet Union at Italia 90 is even worse for me and it pretty much knocked the USSR out. The ref is standing right on the byeline looking straight at Maradona punch the ball off the line and does nothing, then to add insult to injury about a minute later gives a free kick against the Soviets for handball.

It was 0-0 at the time and Argentina went on to win 2-0.

If Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo were playing in separate games on adjacent pitches I'd leave without having seen Messi and Ronaldo kick a ball. Some fans younger than 40 might glance over now and again.
Utter nonsense they are all brilliant players and I am well over 40. Why people have to split them up and make out that one is so much better than the other is crazy. Let's just be privileged to have seen them all.

Utter nonsense they are all brilliant players and I am well over 40. Why people have to split them up and make out that one is so much better than the other is crazy. Let's just be privileged to have seen them all.

I know this won’t go down well, but I’d pick Messi to watch anyway. I like watching old highlights but the overall standard in the 80’s doesn’t quite look at the level of what it is now. I had a look at the Napoli highlight reel the other day and while it’s great I wouldn’t exactly say my mind was blown.

I know this won’t go down well, but I’d pick Messi to watch anyway. I like watching old highlights but the overall standard in the 80’s doesn’t quite look at the level of what it is now. I had a look at the Napoli highlight reel the other day and while it’s great I wouldn’t exactly say my mind was blown.

Ah wondered where Loves to Spooge went.

Watched the Maradona film last night and what he did for Napoli was remarkable.
When he arrived they had barely escaped Relegation, within 3 years he helped them to become champions.
Title winners twice in 5 years as well as the UEFA cup.
They were a nothing side before he arrived.
In that time he also dragged an unfancied Argentina to a World Cup win and another final.
That for me is what sets him apart from Messi, Messi is a great player but has spent his whole career at Barcelona, Diego went to a nothing team and dragged them to a title.
Messi is also the Star of a pretty ordinary unfancied Argie side much like Diego was, the big difference is Maradona managed to drag the side to victory, Messi can’t.

When he arrived they had barely escaped Relegation, within 3 years he helped them to become champions.
In that time he also dragged an unfancied Argentina to a World Cup win and another final.
That for me is what sets him apart from Messi, Messi is a great player but has spent his whole career at Barcelona, Diego went to a nothing team and dragged them to a title.
Messi is also the Star of a pretty ordinary unfancied Argie side much like Diego was, the big difference is Maradona managed to drag the side to victory, Messi can’t.
There’s a myth that the 86 Argentina team wasn't very good, they had a number of good players such as Burruchaga and Valdano. The excellent Tim Vickery makes a good point that the difference between Maradona and Messi (at international level) is that Maradona had Burrachaga who took the chance he set up for the winner in the 86 final whereas Messi has Higuain who he set up for great chances in the 2014 final and the 2015+16 Copa America finals and missed them all.

There’s a myth that the 86 Argentina team wasn't very good, they had a number of good players such as Burruchaga and Valdano. The excellent Tim Vickery makes a good point that the difference between Maradona and Messi (at international level) is that Maradona had Burrachaga who took the chance he set up for the winner in the 86 final whereas Messi has Higuain who he set up for great chances in the 2014 final and the 2015+16 Copa America finals and missed them all.
That’s fair enough however that team in 86 weren’t even fancied in their own country.
The press had pretty much written them off.
The problem with Vickery is he is English and when it comes to Maradona in 86 they have a skewed opinion on him due to the hand of god incident and love nothing more than doing him down and down playing his part in winning it.
The other point is still valid though, Maradona went to a nothing team in Napoli and dragged them to 2 championships and European glory, Messi has stayed in his comfort blanket of Barca his whole career.
Could Messi go to a low level unfancied team like Diego did and help them to a title and success in Europe, I have my doubts

Ive just finished watching that right now.
Its a masterpiece of a film & now I see the man in a whole new light.
I will leave it to the viewers discretion & see how they feel about him after watching it.
Watched it last night mate and it was excellent.
An absolute genius on the park but a bit of a tortured soul off it.
Everybody seemed to want a part of him and for me personally the Napoli president at the time has a lot to answer for.
If he had let him go when he wanted to then things could have been so different.
That’s when the wheels started coming off for him personally and he got into the coke big time, it was obvious he was unhappy and was looking for an outlet.
It suited that crime family to reel him in too as it gave them a hold over him and tied him to Napoli.
Despite being unhappy and wanting away he still led them to another title which shows the dedication to his craft, other players in his position would have downed tools.

I also loved how much he cared for his parents etc and just wanted to give them a better life.

That’s fair enough however that team in 86 weren’t even fancied in their own country.
The problem with Vickery is he is English and when it comes to Maradona in 86 they have a skewed opinion on him due to the hand of god incident and love nothing more than doing him down and down playing his part in winning it.
The other point is still valid though, Maradona went to a nothing team in Napoli and dragged them to 2 championships and European glory, Messi has stayed in his comfort blanket of Barca his whole career.
Could Messi go to a low level unfancied team like Diego did and help them to a title and success in Europe, I have my doubts
The idea that being the main man for Barcelona is a "comfort blanket" is beyond silly. It really is a ludicrous argument.

Vickery anything but your typical Englishman to be honest, he's knows South America inside and out football wise, somebody who doesn't think the whole world revolves around the PL like most down south

I had seen the film before but I thought when the Italians threw the toys out of the pram after the World Cup SF was a bit wrong of them. Ciro Ferrara saying he was "disappointed" in Diego, so the guy is supposed to miss a penalty to help his country get to the World Cup Final so that a country that didn't care one jot about him would :D

The idea that being the main man for Barcelona is a "comfort blanket" is beyond silly. It really is a ludicrous argument.
Maybe not quite a comfort blanket however he has never tested himself at a more ordinary side.
You say main man however back in the Pep days he had exceptional players around him like Iniesta and Xavi etc even more recently with Suarez, Neymar etc
Look now when he is surrounded with more ordinary players, even he can’t dragged them along on his own.
Messi is a wonderful player and one of the best ever and certainly in with a good shout for the best of his time alongside Ronaldo, I just personally think Maradona was better and probably the best of all time.
I’m not convinced Messi could do what he did for Napoli back in the day. Taking a bottom nothing team to a title ahead of Juve, Milan and Inter was some achievement especially back them when Italian football was at the peak of its powers.
Being 2nd to Maradona isn’t a slight on Messi at all.

Vickery anything but your typical Englishman to be honest, he's knows South America inside and out football wise, somebody who doesn't think the whole world revolves around the PL like most down south

I had seen the film before but I thought when the Italians threw the toys out of the pram after the World Cup SF was a bit wrong of them. Ciro Ferrara saying he was "disappointed" in Diego, so the guy is supposed to miss a penalty to help his country get to the World Cup Final so that a country that didn't care one jot about him would :D
Yeah that was a bit mental
Basically wanting him to throw the match since he played in Italy.

The Italians did act like dicks after it and it seems they were looking for any excuse to get him.
The established teams probably hated that this wee upstart put a team and region they classed as no marks on the map.
The bold Diego did make it easy for them though

That bam from Blbao has some neck paying tribute to Diego after breaking his leg in a horror tackle against Barca and could have ended his career.

Last edited:
Maybe not quite a comfort blanket however he has never tested himself at a more ordinary side.
You say main man however back in the Pep days he had exceptional players around him like Iniesta and Xavi etc even more recently with Suarez, Neymar etc
Look now when he is surrounded with more ordinary players, even he can’t dragged them along on his own.
Messi is a wonderful player and one of the best ever and certainly in with a good shout for the best of his time alongside Ronaldo, I just personally think Maradona was better and probably the best of all time.
I’m not convinced Messi could do what he did for Napoli back in the day. Taking a bottom nothing team to a title ahead of Juve, Milan and Inter was some achievement especially back them when Italian football was at the peak of its powers.

You’re not paying much attention then. The last time they won the title there was no Xavi or Iniesta. He was as close to a one man show as I’ve ever seen in one of the top leagues where he finished the season leading in everything; goals scored, assists, chances created, dribbles completed etc etc. He also had them in pole position to win the CL until their defence crumbled at Anfield.

They haven’t been a great side for a number of years now, and if he’s not dragging them this year it’s because he’s a player in decline now and I’d image also because he doesn’t want to be there anymore but has been forced to stay. But the other bloke is right there’s a lot of myth and fantasy surrounding Diego, you’d get the impression Napoli were diddies but a lot of people don’t seem to realise they spent big time win and they didn’t just spend big on Diego. Anyway people who peddle these myths weren’t seeing all his Napoli games anyway so they probably only see the highlights, they don’t see the lesser games that you see with modern players because pretty much every game is televised.

That bam from Blbao has some neck paying tribute to Diego after breaking his leg in a horror tackle against Barca and could have ended his career.
If I recall correctly, the man whom the Spanish press heartily nicknamed “The Butcher Of Bilbao” owned a bar and in it he had the boot with which he committed the thuggish tackle framed and proudly hung on a wall.

Watching it now. Well worth watching for those who haven’t seen it. Really interesting insight to his time in Naples. The reception he got when signing for them was remarkable.

If I recall correctly, the man whom the Spanish press heartily nicknamed “The Butcher Of Bilbao” owned a bar and in it he had the boot with which he committed the thuggish tackle framed and proudly hung on a wall.
I read that he framed the boot to serve as a reminder of the highs and lows of football, because he also scored a European goal with it.

Might be a BS story and a bit of backtracking now that Maradona has passed.

That is terrible . Also read he done Bernt Shuster a few months earlier .
Scumbag.

So Maradona is better than Messi because Maradona went to a fairly average side and won the league.

Messi didn’t have to go to a smaller club because he’s been the best player on the planet for the last 15 years.

How did Maradona get on at Barcelona? The ‘big’ club of his career?

So Maradona is better than Messi because Maradona went to a fairly average side and won the league.

Messi didn’t have to go to a smaller club because he’s been the best player on the planet for the last 15 years.

Scored 38 goals in 58 games despite injuries (including a broken ankle after a horror tackle) and illness and still won 3 trophies in 2 seasons.

No need to get upset because people think he was better than Messi.

Scored 38 goals in 58 games despite injuries (including a broken ankle after a horror tackle) and illness and still won 3 trophies in 2 seasons.

No need to get upset because people think he was better than Messi.

A decent return, but not world class. He was largely viewed as a bit of a failure at Barca.

I'll ask it again, as I always do, and never get an answer; if Maradona was great he could win world cups and Serie A titles single handedly, then why didn't he win the European Cup for Napoli or Barcelona?

This is what I don't get with this argument that Guardiola or Messi or whoever has never "proved it at a smaller club". Why the fück would they?

Back