Director of football

Partickger

We've heard all the hipster shite about the importance of this role but surely he's now failed at the first hurdle if he is responsible for football matters at the club. Another waste of money, more cash pissed away on some clueless project.

If true that he wanted Steve McLaren we might as well just have gone with it and enjoyed mid table mediocrity because thats what it looks like we'll get regardless.

We’ve had threads having a go at most others, so might as well turn the attention to MA. Only in the door a few months, but don’t let that spoil a good roasting.

It’s not as if he’s only one member of the panel that’s involved in the recruitment process of the new manager, but don’t let facts get in the way.

We’ve had threads having a go at most others, so might as well turn the attention to MA. Only in the door a few months, but don’t let that spoil a good roasting.

It’s not as if he’s only one member of the panel that’s involved in the recruitment process of the new manager, but don’t let facts get in the way.

Yeah, he's doing a great job running football operations at the club. He hired some scouts, no-one else could have done that.

Still unsure of the role and the point of it, even if it's not what does a Man City youth coach have that qualifies him to be a DOF?

Seems like a sink hole for money if I'm being honest.
He wasnt a youth coach he was the head of the youth org, however i dont know what his credentials are in football to be selecting management candidates

We are severely limiting ourselves by having Allen as DoF. He has zero pedigree in this role and is barely in the door at Ibrox. He will want a coach who gives him the least amount of hassle.

No manager of any pedigree would be willing to report to Allen and it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with another dumpling like Pedro or a Steve McLaren-type.

I’d like to know exactly what his remit is and who’s idea it was to appoint a DoF.

We are severely limiting ourselves by having Allen as DoF. He has zero pedigree in this role and is barely in the door at Ibrox. He will want a coach who gives him the least amount of hassle.

No manager of any pedigree would be willing to report to Allen and it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with another dumpling like Pedro or a Steve McLaren-type.

I’d like to know exactly what his remit is and who’s idea it was to appoint a DoF.

Robertson seemed keen on the model when we wanted the guy from Southampton. When it became apparent he was just using us as leverage it appears we just appointed someone because we said we would. Just the kind of amateurish rubbish we excel at.

He arrived in August. We had a manager in place who was just starting the season with his own squad. I'm sure that everybody felt that succession planning was not at the top of his priorities.

In a few years, when we win the league with half a dozen homegrown players and our head coach leaves to work in the EPL. If we can seamlessly transition because we have a structure and philosophy in place, that's when we can judge the DoF.

Not trying to be awkward here but to me the bigger picture tells me that DK isn’t the easiest man to work with .

Yeah, he's doing a great job running football operations at the club. He hired some scouts, no-one else could have done that.

We’ve complained for years about the lack of a proper scouting system at Ibrox. The guy starts doing that task, and now “no-one else could have done that”. No one else did.

I don’t know his exact role, and I doubt that you do either, but these constant thread having a go at all and sundry are getting ridiculous. I’m not saying that anyone is above reproach, but there’s more than MA involved in this selection, and he wasn’t here when the first signs that Pedro wasn’t going to cut it happened. Stewart Robertson, at the time of appointing PC, did an interview with Rangers TV and stated the fact that they always have a plan for all eventualities. I have not seen any evidence of this so far.

Last edited:
I don’t think the manager (or rather the lack of appointment) is the fault of our DoF.

But at the same time.... I don’t think we need a DoF.

The DoF was supposed to ensure a smooth transition between managers and ensure that minimal upset was caused to the team. No full rebuilding and that our philosophy is/was maintained. I think continuity was the buzz word at the time.

We've heard all the hipster shite about the importance of this role but surely he's now failed at the first hurdle if he is responsible for football matters at the club. Another waste of money, more cash pissed away on some clueless project.
You know absolutely nothing about what he’s been doing.

You know absolutely nothing about what he’s been doing.

Please share your vast knowledge with us then.

We can all see the car crash in front of our eyes, a rudderless club stumbling from one disaster to the next. Disastrous managerial appointments and an invisible DoF.

We get the guy who ran the youth set up at City.We then get Nemane on loan and the tims get Roberts.Surely to Christ he would be able to get a half decent player like Roberts for us too.
Clearly Lawwells son has more clout at City than our guy

Just because he doesn’t phone you every day with an update doesn’t mean he’s not doing anything. None of us know exactly what his role involves. The board are putting money into the club which will be paying his and his teams wages so if they’re keeping paying him I’ll assume he’s doing fine.

Another target to add to the list for pelters. No idea of his role but conclusions drawn that’s he’s hopeless at it. Elements of our support are as big a shambles as the team.

Last edited:
FFS, he was brought in not long before Pedro was fired so what the Hell had he to do with anything at that stage. Certainly not succession planning. We have no idea what his remit is as none of us on FF have seen his Job Description. Picking a new Manager would not have been on the list.

DOF - unnecessary post tbh..... more money being wasted . So to be clear he identifies a new manager who then hasn't to report back with list of players he wants. It's like the mrs saying to me she wants to shop at river island and I say sorry love we can only afford primark.

It’s the usual thing when it’s going badly- everyone comes under the spotlight for some scrutiny from the directors down to the ballboys.

In this case, unusually, I think it actually is deserved across the board!

FFS, he was brought in not long before Pedro was fired so what the Hell had he to do with anything at that stage. Certainly not succession planning. We have no idea what his remit is as none of us on FF have seen his Job Description. Picking a new Manager would not have been on the list.

Eh? Talk about contradicting yourself!

Please share your vast knowledge with us then.

We can all see the car crash in front of our eyes, a rudderless club stumbling from one disaster to the next. Disastrous managerial appointments and an invisible DoF.
Invisible? Sorry I must have missed all the other teams with director of football who are constantly speaking to the fans.

Its obvious to me thst wee Stewarty Robertson is weak and ineffective. He thought by employing a DOF it would shield him from criticism and put someone else in the hot seat.

As for all the bullshit about our "ethos, philosophy, footballing strategy, aims and objectives, policies and procedures"? Give it a rest.

Dont forget how long it took to get him. Apparently this is a sign that we got the right person.

Dont forget how long it took to get him. Apparently this is a sign that we got the right person.
It’s a sign that they made a mess of getting their original target, Ross Wilson of Southampton. Mark Allen was clearly not their first choice and it feels like they appointed a DoF because they felt they had to after speaking about it so much back in February/March.

I’m really not clear on what he actually does tbh. I thought originally he’d effectively be a in charge of scouting and sort of oversee the youth department, however he’s now just appointed a chief scout and we already have Craig Mulholland who’s apparently doing a very good job with our youth system. I’m not clear on what Mark Allen’s remit is.

We really need to understand who is responsible for what between Robertson, Dickson and Allen.

Robertson is responsible for Dickson and Dickson is responsible for Allen. Allen is responsible for stability and continuity. Robertson is responsible for the ethos. Dickson is responsible for the philosophy. Allen is responsible for the strategy.

Football club appointing a director of football = hipster shite. :rolleyes:

Aye, lets leave it all to the experts like Graeme Park.

Back