Disabled Services at Ibrox

I've been going back and forth with the "disability liaison officer" for over a year now.

What a waste of a wage.

She is a rude unhelpful woman imho, I've been trying to get my dad on a match to match membership scheme since he is only well enough to get to some games.

Shes made up a good number of excuses for why its took so long.

She said she passed my dads details to ten ticket office, they never received it.

She then said the only way to get my dad on this membership is with a stadium expansion..

She has idea at all the difficulties of a disabled person, she is completely unqualified fornthe job

The SLO isnt much better, I've contacted him to try and escalate this issue but it just keeps going back to her. She ignores emails, I have to send multiple chasers to get a response. Which is normally useless.

It started off quite well as well, she offered the membership for my dad when I first contacted her, gave my dad a few free tickets to start with as an interim solution so I could get him to the games in the disabled section. I offered to pay and she said they were her own allocation. I kept asking for my dad to get out on this membership, last week she emailed after I complained again.

Mentioning the free tickets.. I dont think she understands disabled people do not want free things, my dad just wants to get upto Ibrox safely to watch tbe teams hes supported his whole life.

I've been going back and forth with the "disability liaison officer" for over a year now.

What a waste of a wage.

She is a rude unhelpful woman imho, I've been trying to get my dad on a match to match membership scheme since he is only well enough to get to some games.

She said she passed my dads details to the ticket office, they never received it.

She then said the only way to get my dad on this membership is with a stadium expansion..

She has no idea at all the difficulties of a disabled person, she is completely unqualified for the job

The SLO isnt much better, I've contacted him to try and escalate this issue but it just keeps going back to her. She ignores emails, I have to send multiple chasers to get a response. Which is normally useless.

It started off quite well as well, she offered the membership for my dad when I first contacted her, gave my dad a few free tickets to start with as an interim solution so I could get him to the games in the disabled section. I offered to pay and she said they were her own allocation. I kept asking for my dad to get out on this membership, last week she emailed after I complained again.

Mentioning the free tickets.. I dont think she understands disabled people do not want free things, my dad just wants to get upto Ibrox safely to watch tbe teams hes supported his whole life.

As with everything, the people who make the decisions should be willing to sample the experience to see it for themselves.

Stick Stewart Robertson in a wheelchair for the day and have him attend the game as a regular disabled supporter would, from the trip to the stadium, access to stadium, experience the view (preferably on a day like Sunday) and exit the stadium.

Then see what his views are regarding the offering to disabled supporters.

The Morton & Symon suites at the back of the Sandy Jardine Stand have disabled access. If some, or all, of this area could be adapted for those less fortunate then it should be done even at the loss of the hospitality revenue.

The Morton & Symon suites at the back of the Sandy Jardine Stand have disabled access. If some, or all, of this area could be adapted for those less fortunate then it should be done even at the loss of the hospitality revenue.

Therein is your likely barrier.

I finally managed to get my son (who's a wheelchair user) a season ticket for the disabled section at the front of the East Enclosure last year. The view of the game is terrible and the conditions even worse!
We've put up with the bad conditions at the games but Sunday was unbelievable. He had his full cover on which goes over him and the chair but even that couldn't keep the rain out! He was soaked! With the rain and the drips coming off the roofs ( we get what comes from the corner of the Copland roof as well when the wind blows) I'd have been as well stripping down to my boxers as I couldn't have got any wetter in the scud! Feet in about a 20mm deep puddle when it rains as well!
At one point I turned and looked at the wee man, he turned to me and we both just started pissing ourselves laughing, it was that mental!
Thing is, he absolutely fucking loves it and doesn't really care what the weather's like. If he's happy then so am I!
Something really needs to be done to improve it though as the present set up is not great at all!

When we get Accessibility tickets for games at Hampden, the view is utterly dreadful.

Wheelchairs get the front row, their carers get Row B, and those of use with walking difficulties get Row C.

The view is dreadful. There are stewards, police, photographers and ballboys all blocking the view. It is impossible to see the other side of the pitch or see what is happening up the other end. I imagine that Ibrox must be pretty much the same.

The nail was hit on the head earlier when the cost got brought into it but they really do need to build a better, more accessible, drier area for these fans. Will there even be a disabled toilet?

WE have this thread every year sadly nothing gets done as a poster said stick the slo in a wheelchair on a cold wet windy winter day and i bet he wouldn't last till halftime.

How many disabled/wheelchair spaces should there be?
How big and area/seats in the ground would be needed to be adapted for this?

I guess it's not as simple as moving from the front of the stand to say the back due to people who would stand and block the view fire escapes etc

St mirren away last year was terrible conditions the wheelchair users were at the very front getting absolutely soaked.

I guess it's not as simple as moving from the front of the stand to say the back due to people who would stand and block the view fire escapes etc

St mirren away last year was terrible conditions the wheelchair users were at the very front getting absolutely soaked.

As I said before, we don't all have wheelchairs. Many of us walk with sticks or crutches, and we just want access to our seats. We don't nèed a different section.

As I said before, we don't all have wheelchairs. Many of us walk with sticks or crutches, and we just want access to our seats. We don't nèed a different section.
Are you in the front rows of the main stand or are you further up?

I guess that when people think of the disabled section they automatically think of the people in chairs. Those that need crutches etc could use the lift in the main stand and sit somewhere up there? Obviously it would mean a stairless access to the seat which in theory shouldn’t be that difficult to put in place

Surely if they were to create a new area it would hopefully include seating with more room and easier access.

Are you in the front rows of the main stand or are you further up?

I guess that when people think of the disabled section they automatically think of the people in chairs. Those that need crutches etc could use the lift in the main stand and sit somewhere up there? Obviously it would mean a stairless access to the seat which in theory shouldn’t be that difficult to put in place

GF6 second back row - On the same level as the top of the stairs. So I slowly manage 6 stairs using the handrail but I could not manage if I was further forward.

This thread is an absolute embarrassment to our football club.

It should be a bigger priority than the first team.

I've been a disabled (wheelchair user) season ticket holder since 1996. Other than a move from the West Enclosure to East Enclosure there's been absolutely no significant upgrades during that time within Ibrox.

I'm 37 and have yet to see the centre circle or even penalty box lines when at matches.

Season tickets used to be complimentary from the club which I was always led to believe was due to the poor view and being exposed to the elements. However I now pay for my season ticket as I believe everyone in the disabled section does.

That in itself doesn't bother me but what does bother me is paying that price and having no option to select a different area for a better view and being out of the worst conditions.

Like most I was absolutely soaked through on Sunday and right now the bearings on my wheels are totally knackered from all the water and the puddle on the ground where my space is.

I've written to Rangers and different stakeholders and haven't had any reply other than 'its something that's being looked into'.

I've been to lot's of stadium's in Scotland, Britain and whilst following Rangers in Europe and as far as disabled facilities are concerned Ibrox is one of the poorest.

I haven't even mentioned how ridiculous the waiting list debacle is. At least I'm able to have the chance to get to Ibrox.

Good post which mirrors my own experience over the years sadly.

In regards to the charging for wheelchair for wheelchair tickets we were told at the time all monies raised by the charges would be ring fenced and used to improve the facilities, I've asked on several occasions how much has been ring fenced yet I still await an answer.

What do our Disability Matters Group have to say about the facilities?

Believe me the facilities or rather the lack thereof and the general indifference to the problems faced by disabled fans are raised at every single DMG meeting by myself and others yet very little is every done other than some platitudes uttered.

I have requested for years that proper minutes are taken and circulated but our Disability Access Manager is absolutely adamant that will not happen. If it did happen people would see (and be shocked) that the exact same points are being raised by disabled fans over and over and over and over again and are simply being ignored.

For 9 months at every single DMG meeting I raised the issue of a broken lock on a disabled toilet in the East Enclosure our DAM just ignored it and did nothing about it till one meeting Stewart Robertson was in attendance and instructed that not only that lock be fixed but that all disabled toilets be fitted with the standard Radar Key locks (this has massively cut the abuse of said toilets), as grateful as I am for SR's intervention I find it desperately sad that it had to reach the point where the the Club's Managing Director had to personally intervene.

Also there's a disabled toilet in the Ambulance Room and for even longer that the broken lock fiasco it was unusable as the cistern was either permantely running or wouldn't flush at all, despite the DAM being aware of the problem it wasn't addressed till I personally raised it with a Club Director who ensured it was fixed before the next home game.

Sadly these 2 examples are all too symptomatic of the reality of what takes place.

I think this is a thread that our SLO could be doing with reading and then following up some of the issues with individual posters.

@Greg Marshall , over to you.

To be fair to Greg he seems to have a genuine concern in regards to disabled issues (even though not strictly his remit) and one of his first actions was to sit in the wheelchair section of the West Enclosure to see for himself the problems we face a stark contrast to our Disability Access Manager who steadfastly refuses to do so.

What a waste of a wage.

She said she passed my dads details to ten ticket office, they never received it.

She has idea at all the difficulties of a disabled person, she is completely unqualified fornthe job

I really doubt that experience is exclusive to yourself.

IIRC there should be circa 240 wheelchair spaces and an equivalent amount of ambulant spaces.

https://www.cafefootball.eu/sites/d...iles/pdfs/UEFAandCAFEGoodPracticeGuideENG.pdf

The greatest obstacle to improving the facilities is not physical or structural but rather the general indifference and lack of will.

To be fair to Greg he seems to have a genuine concern in regards to disabled issues (even though not strictly his remit) and one of his first actions was to sit in the wheelchair section of the West Enclosure to see for himself the problems we face a stark contrast to our Disability Access Manager who steadfastly refuses to do so.

Fair play to him for that.

Thanks for posting that, bud.

The posts about the lack of action by the disability manager are very alarming. The club should be looking at this as a priority.

Fair play to the guys who sit in that section and get treated very poorly.

No need to wonder what the state of play is with Ibrox's disability services. It is simply an embarrassment to our club and the attitudes have not changed for years. From Martin Bain promising the earth and exchanging mobile numbers at an agm in the early noughties to the present day broken promises. Rangers FC do very little, nothing at all when they can get away with it. Or a token gesture when there is a pr opportunity or someone else is paying for it. Like the sensory room and the spaces at the front of the east enclosure. And you can add the 4 broomie spaces that were done simply to avoid an action by celtic for non provision of disabled spaces when they visited.

Forget that euro rules now state what provision must be made for disabled supporters, what choices the must have, what facilities they should have and how many should have access to the aforementioned basic requirements. Common decency and respect should be enough. But this season our club has once again gone back to their hands over the ears policy and done absolutely nothing. There have been no improvements in regard to facilities for our disabled supporters, no extra spaces to cope with demand and no further choice of viewing areas. Simply put, just another year putting up with the shambles that has been in place for so long. So the disgusting treatment of our disabled support continues as normal, with obviously no will to change it. As the previous years of neglect and broken promises make abundantly clear. Utterly disgraceful.

Our rsc had a 4.5 hour bus trip home on sunday and our disabled member still had water running out of his arse when we got home. I get it was monsoon conditions and you can wrap up well and seemingly waterproof but eventually, you lose.

Maybe the answer is to have a roof over your head for the couple of hours watching our team? Yes, I know, a somewhat radical thought in the 21st century.

But no doubt Rangers FC, as they have done for such a long time, will be doing further consultations and costings this tear, the fresh promises will be honoured and things will be dramatically changed for the better next season. If they are stuck they can always ask the likes of Partick Thistle for advice on how to do it.

Anyone and everyone campaign indeed, unless you are in a wheelchair. Then common decency goes out of the window and you will be treated like shit and denied your basic rights.

It is about time this was fucking sorted once and for all.
Excellent post and it’s disappointing to hear.

Man Utd see yo have a good disabled section, elevated too so better views of the pitch.

It saddens me to hear about the poor disability section that we have at Ibrox and this should be addressed with a matter of urgency.
We should be providing a far better service that we do at present.
Here's a wee thought, could we not take away one of the big screens and build a new disability section to meet the criteria of what we need for our disabled fans ?.
Keep it all under cover also and provide adequate food and drink also, plus toilet facilities etc ?

The fix is really quite simple use the away end for wheelchair users and put the away fans in bf1.

Mate I appreciate what you are saying is coming from a good place but for me the very notion of a wheelchair “section” should be obsolete these days.

As a wheelchair user I want to go to a venue with a choice of places to sit, the ability to attend events with my family and friends and not be lumped in a section. The stadium should have a verity of areas accessible on all levels of the ground, seating areas should be adaptable to suit the needs of the fans. Biggest restriction I have with a traditional disabled area is the notion we all attend events with one “carer”. I go to things with my wife and son and we want to sit together which is an impossibility in these disabled sections you normally see. The other thing is we are normally put at pitchside level which isn’t the best from a sitting position as there are folks like the police and stewards who stand in your way.

IIRC we're only allowed 4 wheelchairs at a time in Argyle House or so we're told.

Last December after the Hibs game there was a fire alarm in Argyle House. A wheelchair user was in hospitality when the alarm went off (it actually went off several times) and he expected the staff to put into action the evacuation plan. To his utter shock and dismay not one member of staff knew what to do, they didn't know anything about the "safe space", they didn't know where the evac chair was located, didn't know the evacuation protocol or route in fact they knew absolutely nothing at all about evacuating a wheelchair user. Fortunately the alarms were false and there was no fire otherwise it doesn't bear thinking about the consequences.

Inquiries revealed it was a "training issue" to do with "Health and Safety", believe it or not the Health and Safety Manager and the Disability Access Manager are one and the same!

Last edited:

What a waste of a wage.

I’m sorry to hear your experiences with Liz hasn’t been as good as my own as I found her very helpful and informative as she herself pointed out where the club were failing and what was trying to be done to address this.

Did she discuss the accessibility card with you?

It’s a huge waiting list to get season ticket and with the match to match scheme the reality is there are only about 7 available seats.

Ideally we need to get to a point where ordering an accessible ticket is as easy as getting a ticket for an able bodied person.

I understand the club as a business won’t want to lose any revenue from seats but it could be argued due to the demand for accessible seating that ‘a reasonable adjustment’ could be losing 2 rows of seats and making more disable toilets for example if it were pursued by disabled groups and backed up by court proceedings

As a Rangers fan we see the club are trying to do right but as a disabled person wanting to go to a match you have to ask are they doing enough and quickly enough

The card reader in the West Enclosure has been broken for over a decade and was never replaced, we were categorically told we'd get new readers when the rest of the ground got upgraded. Well the rest of the ground has all new all singing card readers yet at the disabled entrances at the Enclosures they're ticking names off a paper list.

What a waste of a wage.

I applied for disability parking for myself at the stadium due to a terminal illness, took them 9 weeks to tell me they had no spaces left but would be on waiting list. That’s not a problem if there’s no parking left, but 9 weeks to tell me, had to go through SLO to get a reply. They told me last Friday, by luck I,d put other arrangements in place as just now I can manage if I take my time, but come a wet freezing cold winters day there will be no chance of me hanging about.

I applied for disability parking for myself at the stadium due to a terminal illness, took them 9 weeks to tell me they had no spaces left but would be on waiting list. That’s not a problem if there’s no parking left, but 9 weeks to tell me, had to go through SLO to get a reply. They told me last Friday, by luck I,d put other arrangements in place as just now I can manage if I take my time, but come a wet freezing cold winters day there will be no chance of me hanging about.
There are so many spaces round the stadium, they should be able to accommodate you. Even if they have to give you a space that’s not classed as disability parking spot.

I’m in the West Enclosure quite low down in the corner of SW5. Sunday was brutal weather wise as we all know and I felt awful for the disabled fans in chairs. They sit right at the front at ground level so took the brunt of the monsoon conditions and had a shocking view of the game. It’s simply not good enough.

Not only would I like to see our club do something to address this, it seems to me to be a perfect “project” for Club1872 to support in terms of funding. We, the Rangers family, should look after these fans far better, especially in light of the Everyone, Anyone campaign but even more so out of pure decency in terms of treating them properly and giving them a better match experience.

Sunday’s weather just highlighted how awful our current provision for disabled supporters is.

Can’t speak for wheelchair but Broxi’s Den is an amazing facility.

My boy would never have been able to attend Ibrox if it wasn’t for said facility and the staff in there

Can’t speak for wheelchair but Broxi’s Den is an amazing facility.

My boy would never have been able to attend Ibrox if it wasn’t for said facility and the staff in there

Was in there for the first time last night, totally agree. Bumped into I guy I used to support and he showed me around it. I managed to get him a card for it when it first opened a couple of years ago, he hadn't been to Ibrox since 2001 when he sustained a serious head injury. Thought it was a bit wee right enough.

Was in there for the first time last night, totally agree. Bumped into I guy I used to support and he showed me around it. I managed to get him a card for it when it first opened a couple of years ago, he hadn't been to Ibrox since 2001 when he sustained a serious head injury. Thought it was a bit wee right enough.

It is smaller but they do limit the numbers. My boy was at the oxford game (got to see one goal myself :D) but he loved it.

I’m 2 rows back from the wheelchair guys in the EE. The boys in line with the 18 yard box can only see about 50% of the pitch at best - then players come out to warm up right in front of them which reduces their view to about 25%. It’s really very poor. Must be so frustrating for them. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe take a couple of rows out at F and G, put a ramp in and move the rest of us forward a bit

It is smaller but they do limit the numbers. My boy was at the oxford game (got to see one goal myself :D) but he loved it.

When my service user got the card I thought it was just like a normal ST, had a bit of explaining to do when I found out it was invite only but he was fine with that. For him it's the nostalgia factor as much as actually supporting the team.

Nevertheless, going by the previous comments in this thread, there's a lot of work to be done to accommodate supporters with disabilities, whether visible or non-visible.

Look m8 i

Look m8 I have been going to Ibrox in a wheelchair for over 15 years.
I am a wheelchair season ticket holder in west enclosure who goes to every home game part from night games.
You have NO CHANCE I personally would take a view I can see the lines and if it rains I would be dry.

You have tagged me here and I’m totally clueless to what you are going on about

When my service user got the card I thought it was just like a normal ST, had a bit of explaining to do when I found out it was invite only but he was fine with that. For him it's the nostalgia factor as much as actually supporting the team.

Nevertheless, going by the previous comments in this thread, there's a lot of work to be done to accommodate supporters with disabilities, whether visible or non-visible.

FYI they stopped giving cards this season, apparently no one was using them

Iv tried on numerous occasions to try and get accessible seating. I'm on crutches and been told to go on wheelchair space waiting list and have to be a season ticket holder. Last game I got to was against sporting Lisbon and now I cant see me getting back any time soon. I manage to get to a away game nearer to home and there brilliant for getting accessible seating. Think its poor when I called to try and get tickets to be told id be fine in club deck

Ah OK, that must include the guy I used to support, he kept badgering me to get him a new card after I stopped supporting him.

I have one from last season but emailed to ask as I hadn't got one for this season and that's when they told me.

Iv tried on numerous occasions to try and get accessible seating. I'm on crutches and been told to go on wheelchair space waiting list and have to be a season ticket holder. Last game I got to was against sporting Lisbon and now I cant see me getting back any time soon. I manage to get to a away game nearer to home and there brilliant for getting accessible seating. Think its poor when I called to try and get tickets to be told id be fine in club deck

Would you be able to go with the aid of a "buddy"/helper?

Back