Disallowed goal in Everton v West Ham game

mkgers

Anybody see that headed goal that was disallowed for Everton?

Absolutely mental. There was no foul even remotely committed by Everton. If that's not a clear and obvious error I have no idea what is.

Oh really? Hadn't noticed that. They should let play run like they do with offsides etc and then decide after the fact.

The whistle goes just before he heads it. There was no foul though, it’s a classic case of where the ref should have waited a split second then checked VAR to see if it was indeed a foul.

I actually got quite angry at that decision and l'm completely neutral as far as the game's concerned

The one just after was a shocker too. The Everton defender ushers the ball towards the byline and the West Ham player comes in and scythes him down, as clear a foul as you will ever see.....corner to West Ham :D

Listening to Soccer Saturday, VAR is running riot today, even the presenters are giving it, a goal at whatever stadium, then 2 minutes later it’s, back to whatever stadium, VAR rules it out.
Mental

They need to change the way VAR is used. This obvious error stuff has seen clear penalties etc not even reviewed. At the moment its useful for marginal offside calls and that's about it

VAR will ruin football.

Yes it will, anyone can see it. Earlier in the season Man City score a last minute winner against Spurs but VAR rules it out because the ball brushed against a forwards arm in the build up. Today Deli Ali scores a late equaliser for Spurs but the ball hits his arm. VAR says goal stands. The game is phucked. VAR needs binned.

Oh really? Hadn't noticed that. They should let play run like they do with offsides etc and then decide after the fact.
Had the ref not blown, var would have given the goal.
I watched Ssn today, there were several score corrections due to var.
Two of them caused a lot of debate.
Leicester v burnley, burnley equalise, var gives foul to Leicester,
All the panel agree that Evans kicked his own foot and goal should stand.
Spurs equalise, var on scoreboard says no goal and ref gives goal.

Yes it will, anyone can see it. Earlier in the season Man City score a last minute winner against Spurs but VAR rules it out because the ball brushed against a forwards arm in the build up. Today Deli Ali scores a late equaliser for Spurs but the ball hits his arm. VAR says goal stands. The game is phucked. VAR needs binned.
Had both those decisions been reversed Pochettino would be getting his jotters today.

VAR will only be successful when it gets over the fact that it may contradict the referee. VAR must be the MAIN adjudicator not the referee, VAR has more eyes and less human error. Seven pundits in the BT studio said a CLEAR penalty to Watford only for VAR to side with the referee despite CLEAR evidence it was a penalty. Overruling the referee doesn't mean he made a mistake, it simply says he has only ONE view from ONE angle while VAR has several of both.

I wouldn't say bin it, I'd change how it's used. Let the officials referee the game, and give each team 1 challenge per half, or 3 per game. If they think a mistake has been made with a goal, penalty, or red card decision, they call for a review. If the challenge is wrong, they lose it.

Although that still doesn't help with the clusterfuck for the Spurs goal today.

It’s the lack of consistency that is letting VAR down. Punters would accept it if it was the same across the board, but it varies from game to game and from week to week.

Think you need to watch the game tonight on MOTD. If VAR is being used as a tool to ensure the correct decisions are made it doesn’t get much more wrong than this

People are still missing the most important point.

If the people in charge of VAR are as cowardly and corrupt as Bobby Midden. Then VAR doesn't make a difference.

Clancy is binned a fortnight ago, then whisked into the most important fixture this weekend.

That is reality.

It was mayhem on Sky’s Soccer Saturday nobody had a clue what was happening.

In contrast to the rugby this morning where everything that was going on could be heard between the referee and the tv review officials. Even if it took a bit of time you were being informed what was being looked at not like football where everyone is left hanging wondering what the hell is happening.
It was the same in the cricket World Cup in the summer everything being reviewed was being seen and heard by the crowd and tv viewers.

The VAR officials in the EPL have been told by their bosses to support the referee's decision unless it is glaringly obvious he gets it wrong. It is like the 'Umpire's Call' system in cricket where you see an lbw decision given as 'Not Out' but the ball tracker clearly shows the ball hitting the wicket but the y will say the ball bounced outside the line of the wickets to get the umpire off the hook.

I don’t think the problem comes from VAR itself, it comes from the continual changing and fucking about with the rules.

For example, the handball rule.
If the rule remained as before then video evidence would be able to help with a call of whether it was deliberate.
They could take time to examine body shape, eye contact and make an informed decision.
Now it’s a forensic examination to see whether it hit an upper arm accidentally in a collision.

For example, the offside rule.
If the rule remained that the benefit of the doubt should be given and daylight between relevant body parts was the standard then instances would be reduced and it would be obvious on VAR when a player was offside.
Now it’s a forensic examination to see whether a bit of boot was marginally ahead 35 yards from goal.

Was it deliberate mate?

VAR is a good thing, it's not being used properly imo.

@mkgers no idea why I've quoted you.

Was it deliberate mate?

Doesn't matter if its deliberate or not now, if it leads to a goal its disallowed. At least that's what we were told at Man City v Spurs a few weeks ago. For some reason that doesn't seem to have applied today. Even tho the big screen said no goal. Farcical.

Doesn't matter if its deliberate or not now, if it leads to a goal its disallowed. At least that's what we were told at Man City v Spurs a few weeks ago. For some reason that doesn't seem to have applied today. Even tho the big screen said no goal. Farcical.

I thought it was down to players being in an unnatural position and making themselves 'bigger'.

Binned the reffing a few years ago so a bit out of touch now.

Was it deliberate mate?

When the City one happened it was explained away by a ref type that any contact of the ball with an attacking teams player's arm or hand would be deemed hand ball whether deliberate or not. So what happened to that rule today.

No, the ref didn't use VAR when he should have. What's the point of having it if you don't use it?

Well that's the ref's fault then isn't it? Don't see why VAR is even mentioned when the ref made an arse of it. VAR might have reached the correct decision if the ref never blew so early.

Think you need to watch the game tonight on MOTD. If VAR is being used as a tool to ensure the correct decisions are made it doesn’t get much more wrong than this

Again that's the ref's fault and it would've happened without VAR as well. Not much VAR can do if the ref blows the whistle before the ball hits the net.

When the City one happened it was explained away by a ref type that any contact of the ball with an attacking teams player's arm or hand would be deemed hand ball whether deliberate or not. So what happened to that rule today.

Could be right mate. As says above I dont keep up with it as much as I used to.

One thing though, handball is something I argued about almost every week, when I was reffing. The new law doesn't seem to have changed that in any way.

Although I didn't see it, I listened to the commentary on Talksport at lunchtime. With regard to the disallowed goal they said exactly the same as the op. You've got to ask why they have VAR in the EPL if they're not going to use it properly, The referees in Germany seem to have a far better handle on it compared to those down south.

Back