Disappointed?

i went to bed quite sanguine about it in the big picture but i’ve gotten more annoyed today.

i actually think SG and Tav’s interviews afterwards have not sat well with me. Rangers teams shouldn’t throw away leads like that, regardless of who we’re playing. I don’t expect doom and gloom but i also don’t want to see that kind of “well what do you expect” attitude from manager and captain. Tav’s interview was a shrug of the shoulders.

We’re all enjoying the football and the undoubted improvement and Celtic’s collapse... but we may be in danger of letting the team away without some justified, measured, criticism here.

It shouldn't be forgotten that had we held onto the lead in just one of those matches, we would already have qualified and could have rested players in the remaining fixtures. So it absolutely is disappointing that we seemed to let them get in our faces in the last 15 minutes of both matches. The league is our priority, but you can't seperate our fate in that from our successes in Europe.

'Course you've gotta be disappointed in having a top European side by the curlies and letting them get away. TWICE!

Doesn't change the fact that for the most part it was two great performances.

For years we've gone into games against top notch opponents full of optimism that we might do something but in reality expecting to get fcuked over. Now I think the optimism is justified and while I think we are aware of our limitations we know that we'll give anyone a game.

i went to bed quite sanguine about it in the big picture but i’ve gotten more annoyed today.

i actually think SG and Tav’s interviews afterwards have not sat well with me. Rangers teams shouldn’t throw away leads like that, regardless of who we’re playing. I don’t expect doom and gloom but i also don’t want to see that kind of “well what do you expect” attitude from manager and captain. Tav’s interview was a shrug of the shoulders.

We’re all enjoying the football and the undoubted improvement and Celtic’s collapse... but we may be in danger of letting the team away without some justified, measured, criticism here.

I agree with this.

'Course you've gotta be disappointed in having a top European side by the curlies and letting them get away. TWICE!

Doesn't change the fact that for the most part it was two great performances.

For years we've gone into games against top notch opponents full of optimism that we might do something but in reality expecting to get fcuked over. Now I think the optimism is justified and while I think we are aware of our limitations we know that we'll give anyone a game.
I also agree with this.

And that’s the point - we can be disappointed and be happy with that improvement and the feeling we now take into these games - it’s hope, mild expectation, and the players have earned both the praise and the slight pressure that such consistent improvement brings.

All told, things are good and the level of criticism is mild and based on a real positive - the fact that Gerrard has turned us into a really impressive and competitive European opponent.

I think McCoist had it spot on last night.

If we'd been 3-1 down or 2-0 down against Benfica and ended up drawing we'd all be over the moon. But it was the manner of dropping points that's annoyed me. Really sloppy goals over both legs.

Strange one. Expectations adjust with success and the criteria alters. You can't still bark on about Progres when the bar has been so obviously lifted.

Ultimately the manner of the draw is the source of the disappointment. A game that starts 2-0 Benfica and ends up 2-2 is a great result. Conceding two goals against a team whose manager made important decisions at the right time is the sore one to take.

We were undone by essentially a 15 minute spell from a team that should be far superior to us. That change in tempo and 2 goals is what you pay that big money for. We don't experience that change in tempo to that level ever from teams in Scotland. It hurts when it happens, but that is the only way for us to learn and improve. I still say we were the better team for most of both games, that is something really special and we should be quite proud of this.

Spoke to a fellow Bear in work today, he was annoyed we "threw it away", but I don't feel that way, we were up against a very good Portuguese team, they had class all over the pitch. We will qualify for the last 32 and I'm delighted at that prospect.

If someone had said when Stevie G arrived that in 2020 we would have started the season the best we had in over 50 years. Be 11 points clear and them in turmoil I’d have bitten your hand off. Yes we are disappointed in the last two games v Benfica but this is how far Stevie G has progressed us. We are moaning about draws. Benfica are a quality side and it shows the massive progress we have made. Long may it continue. Silverware will come.

Back