Do Jock Wallace's Achievements Go Under the Radar a Bit?

M

MearnsUnionist

Way before my time, but when I was listening to my old man and a couple of his mates on the bus back from Dingwall they certainly think so.

2 Trebles in 3 seasons.
Don't think anyone else has achieved that.

Brought a halt to the Stein domination when winning the league in 74 -75.

He was also manager in the legendary centenary cup final win in 73.

For some bizarre reason he only got admitted to the SFA Hall of Fame last year.
When you think of some of the dross in there then that is incredible.

Would be interested in the views of older bears.

Does he get the credit he deserves?

Personally I don't think so.

Just before my time but I think his record speaks for itself, 2 trebles in 3 is incredible. For him only to get inducted to the SFA hall of fame last year is disgraceful. Rangers should have been demanding it long ago.

My Dad always speaks extremely highly of Jock Wallace however I feel that you're probably right in regards to age playing a part. My brother will be 50 in a couple of years and only really remembers Jock Wallace coming back after Greig.

I would say that it would be the 60+ age group that would remember him most fondly.

Jock was before my time, but the 2 trebles in 3 seasons is unbelievable, and in a time when our football was competitive.

Did he not win a cup or two second time round too, when we were really poor?

Just checked and yes, 2 League Cup wins.

I am not fully aware of everything about Jock, as I wasn't old enough to understand at the time, but am in no doubt the man is a Legend and deserves to be known as such.

Can I ask what age you are?

I'd say Wallace is a legend among those who are 50 and over.

I'm 25 mate and because of the family I'm from I'm well aware of his achievements.

Not so sure some of my mates are.

Even Struth, Symon or Walter never achieved the 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

The SFA Hall of Fame snub seems an absolute joke.

I just don't think he gets the credit he deserves for changing the balance of power in the 70s.

He was always just "Big Jock" in our house.
My first football hero along with Davie Cooper.

Whenever managers are talked about I always bring him into it.

His influence our Cup Winners' Cup cannot be understated although he's listed as "Coach".

WATP

Like a few of the replies are saying, it's mostly down to age. For those of us who are old enough to remember, his successes are still appreciated for the achievements that they are. That was an incredible period and Wallace and some of the players from that time are legends.

A legend to Rangers supporters, but not to anyone else. For non-footballing reasons

A good example of 1. The years going by and 2. Being slow to promote your own.

I'd be willing to bet that a terrifying % of people (young) who go to games HAVENT EVEN HEARD OF HIM.

A real Rangers legend.

Only really remember him second time around but was lucky enough to meet him a few times and he had a real presence about him.

Says everything about the man that he could've cashed in to some tabloid revealing the real reasons of his departure in 78 but took the story with him when he passed.

I don't think no-marks like Sutton would have had the courage to try to be smart with Mr Wallace.

A true Rangers legend who spoke his mind to the press - he didn't suffer fools gladly but if he took a shine to you, then he could talk all day. Probably why his achievements are largely ignored by the majority of them

My Dad always speaks extremely highly of Jock Wallace however I feel that you're probably right in regards to age playing a part. My brother will be 50 in a couple of years and only really remembers Jock Wallace coming back after Greig.

I would say that it would be the 60+ age group that would remember him most fondly.

Big Jock was a proper Rangers man. He was a fan who lived the dream , demanded 100% every game from every player. Some of the charlatans who have played for us in the past 5 years , would have had a different outlook if Wallace had been in charge.

Not going to lie as a 24 year old I wasn't fully aware of this.

So yes it seems they do go under the radar.

I'm 25 mate and because of the family I'm from I'm well aware of his achievements.

Not so sure some of my mates are.

Even Struth, Symon or Walter never achieved the 2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

The SFA Hall of Fame snub seems an absolute joke.

I just don't think he gets the credit he deserves for changing the balance of power in the 70s.

He did at the time.

I'm a little bit younger than 50, but the first season I remember with any great clarity was the '77/78 season, the year I really fell head over heels in love with Rangers and football in general and Wallace was the man.

Older friends and relatives still speak of him up there alongside Walter (and for that matter Struth) in terms of the qualities a quintessential Rangers manager should possess.

And remember, it was actually three titles in four years that he delivered.

But I suppose I can understand to some extent that younger fans may not necessarily be fully appreciative of all that he achieved.

It's a hell of a shame, though.

Jock Wallace never got the credit from Scottish football that he deserved. The pre-season training at Gullane was treated as a joke by our opponents until we ran over the top of them in the last 15 minutes of a game with superior fitness and skill.

Although we were never more than 3 points adrift of Celtic in the first three seasons of their NIAR by the late 60's and early 70's we were struggling badly in the league. Thanks to Willie Waddell and Jock Wallace, the team began to stabilise and we got a really good team in 1972, which was not a league team but were good enough to win the ECWC in 1972.

We ran Celtic really close in the league in 1972-1973, disappointing start to the following season's league meant we never made up the lost ground but Jock Wallace's influence was always evident. The feeling about winning the league in 74-75 is hard to put into words.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jock Wallace during my early European trips. He was a decent and honest human being unlike some of the supercilious and two faced examples we all could probably name from the modern game.

For someone who caused the worst ever result for our club at Berwick, big Jock gave The Rangers and our support so much after he came to Ibrox.

Jock Wallace never got the credit from Scottish football that he deserved. The pre-season training at Gullane was treated as a joke by our opponents until we ran over the top of them in the last 15 minutes of a game with superior fitness and skill.

Although we were never more than 3 points adrift of Celtic in the first three seasons of their NIAR by the late 60's and early 70's we were struggling badly in the league. Thanks to Willie Waddell and Jock Wallace, the team began to stabilise and we got a really good team in 1972, which was not a league team but were good enough to win the ECWC in 1972.

We ran Celtic really close in the league in 1972-1973, disappointing start to the following season's league meant we never made up the lost ground but Jock Wallace's influence was always evident. The feeling about winning the league in 74-75 is hard to put into words.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jock Wallace during my early European trips. He was a decent and honest human being unlike some of the supercilious and two faced examples we all could probably name from the modern game.

For someone who caused the worst ever result for our club at Berwick, big Jock gave The Rangers and our support so much after he came to Ibrox.

He certainly didn't in 1978 when despite a clean sweep of trophies the Manager of the Year award went to McBungle at Aberdeen.

I think most Rangers fans who were around at the time or who have taken a keen interest in our history will be fully aware of Wallace's achievements.

Way before my time, but when I was listening to my old man and a couple of his mates on the bus back from Dingwall they certainly think so.

2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

also done it with hard grafting Scottish Players

Main problem for Wallace was he left us fairly quickly after being successful. 2 trebles in 3 years, 3 league wins in 4 season. Potentially a major manager, but left after winning treble. Came back when we were at a low ebb.
Shame he didnt have 1 match with Lennon in the other dugout.

My recollection is Souness replacing him and things taking a turn for the better.

Probably a grossly unfair view

Terrific record as our manager. I lived in Corby at the time when he was manager of Leicester and used to go through to Filbert Street to watch them.

Jock was a legend and his achievements definitely do not get the full recognition they deserve. Could be an age thing and I think getting replaced by Souness over shadowed him a wee bit.

In 1978 I was 5 and started supporting Rangers. During Greig's tenure the shadow of Wallace seemed to loom omnipresent but unfortunately I never saw peak DJ, Smith, Parlane et al.

I was so excited when he came back. Others may disagree but I think his 2nd spell was worse than the JG years because it promised so much and delivered so little.

For the sake of his legacy he would have been better not coming back.

He was 3rd choice after all.

Rangers Legend who guided us to two trebles.
He wouldn't have stood for much of the nonsense that is thrown at our club these days.

In 1978 I was 5 and started supporting Rangers. During Greig's tenure the shadow of Wallace seemed to loom omnipresent but unfortunately I never saw peak DJ, Smith, Parlane et al.

I was so excited when he came back. Others may disagree but I think his 2nd spell was worse than the JG years because it promised so much and delivered so little.

For the sake of his legacy he would have been better not coming back.

I agree that it would have been better for his footballing legacy but as a man would he have liked to have had rejecting Rangers on his conscience.

He was 3rd choice after all.

He is the first Rangers manager I really properly remember,his achievements will never be underestimated by me.

My Favourite ever Ranger.

He epitomised what it means to be a Rangers man. Took no shit from anyone, yet he was quiet and respectful when you actually met the man.

He was honest, a fighter, a winner, forthright. But he was also respectful, intelligent, thoughtful.

A true Ranger, who wouldn't put up with any guff from the press. I wish he was still at the club just now, as Mutton and Co would be demolished.

Fortunately old enough to remember the Rangers teams under the big fella and the teams then have influenced me on how I like to see football played,our team was aggressive , hard as nails fitter than the rest and sprinkled with very good football players , some who never got the credit due to them. When I see the German league many of the teams remind me of the Rangers teams in that era.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr Wallace on more than one occasion & found him to be an absolute gentleman.
He often said he was just a supporter who got lucky & how proud he was to work for The Rangers.
His achievements with Rangers especially first time round were remarkable & having been brought up in the Stein era were greatly appreciated by such as myself.
He never got the credit he deserved from the non Rangers fraternity but was not the type to complain about it.
Sadly missed but fondly remembered.

2 Trebles in 3 seasons.

Those of us who lived through big Jock's first spell hold him in the very highest regard.

He was an absolute legend - a bear, a fighter and a gentleman.

When he came back it was like the returning hero - after some terrible times under John Greig (still a legend throughout). It never quite worked out the second time but he did rally a directionless team.

My recollection is Souness replacing him and things taking a turn for the better.

Probably a grossly unfair view

I think it's fair to say the big man's powers were on the wane when he came back.

The board didn't back him with the players he wanted, although to be fair he did spend more than anyone else, IIRC, but perhaps more importantly he was responsible for bringing through young players like Durrant, Ferguson, Fleck and McPherson and turning around McCoist's fortunes so, as much as Souness had the luxury of lavishing huge sums on big name players from down south, he already had the bones of a really good squad developed for him by Wallace.

I think it's fair to say the big man's powers were on the wane when he came back.

The board didn't back him with the players he wanted, although to be fair he did spend more than anyone else, IIRC, but perhaps more importantly he was responsible for bringing through young players like Durrant, Ferguson, Fleck and McPherson and turning around McCoist's fortunes so, as much as Souness had the luxury of lavishing huge sums on big name players from down south, he already had the bones of a really good squad developed for him by Wallace.
Whilst I agree with the vast majority of what you've said Omega, I don't know if he spent more than the rest? I seem to remember MoJo being the Scottish record signing when he joined them from Watford for £400,000.

I also remember my Dad saying at the time if JW had been given the same funds as Souness...

Regardless, Big Jock Wallace definitely left the nucleus of a right good team behind the second time and will always be remembered as a legend by all good Bears wordwide!

One of the greatest Rangers men who ever lived. And a manager who had a real eye for a player and who is hugely underrated because he understood the importance of fitness and a winning mentality as well as football ability.

Taken too early by that awful Parkinson's Disease. My dad fought it for years and succumbed aged 82 years.
My favourite Rangers manager.

Back