Do kids still get Autographs?

Over the years autographs seemed to descend into an inelligible scribble. I had a load when I was a kid in the 60s and you could clearly read them all.

Used to go up to Ibrox when I was a kid and wait outside on the players going to and from training

I remember doing it once when I was young waited ages and then being seriously underwhelmed after it, vowed never to do it again, I just dont see the attraction in it, even if i had Messi, Mohammed Ali ,and Tiger Woods, so what unless you could get it signed on a item or garment and sell it on. What's the point are you just going to stare at it for the rest of your life!

They do mate. I was walking last month through town and some kids stopped me and asked for mine. Turns out they thought I was Brad Pitt.
Happend to me all the time when they were filming world war z in glasgow, think it was because the mrs looks like angelina jolie :)) :))

Done it all my life mate; and only recently been forced to stop!
Regularly get the p1ss ripped as `the geek` of our RSC; they go drinking; unless it`s constant rain I`ll hang around Ibrox instead......but I wouldn`t swap it...I can drink later!
I`ve a massive collection of progs,tickets;team sheets;photos;and working down south has allowed me to get around grounds down there also.
At a rough estimate I have around 100,000 items in a reinforced attic;which will shortly have to be moved from one address to a new property... The more valuable items are waterproof protected;sealed into board backed envelopes;and stored in vats.....it`s quite literally turned into a monster on an industrial scale :))

Regularly get the p1ss ripped as `the geek` of our RSC; they go drinking; unless it`s constant rain I`ll hang around Ibrox instead......but I wouldn`t swap it...I can drink later!
I`ve a massive collection of progs,tickets;team sheets;photos;and working down south has allowed me to get around grounds down there also.
At a rough estimate I have around 100,000 items in a reinforced attic;which will shortly have to be moved from one address to a new property... The more valuable items are waterproof protected;sealed into board backed envelopes;and stored in vats.....it`s quite literally turned into a monster on an industrial scale :))

I’ve got a treasured autograph book at my Mum & Dad’s that my Dad’s pal used to take to Rangers games and get the opposition players to complete for me.Juventus, Cologne, Eindhoven being my personal favourites.

Pretty sure Wim Jansen’s signature’s their too.

I’ve got a treasured autograph book at my Mum & Dad’s that my Dad’s pal used to take to Rangers games and get the opposition players to complete for me.Juventus, Cologne, Eindhoven being my personal favourites.

Pretty sure Wim Jansen’s signature’s their too.
My old man always told me to `get the foreigners` anywhere we were. :)
On the basis they would return home; never to be seen again. :D
I have so much abstract,left field;(however you want to describe it) sh1t
I quite often forget what`s there,until the next bunch of stuff needs filed and stored.
Your autograph book mentioned,should indeed be treasured.
There`s books I have,that I would love to bring to Ibrox;(to try and add to).... a few of them I have to look at the weather forecast beforehand;and decide whether to put them in my bag..... not because of monetary value; they are just simply irreplaceable to me.

Impressed!
Talking about programmes - I had lots from the sixties but my old Mum threw them out
Included Real v Eintracht ( Euro Cup Final At Hampden).
Probably worth a few bob on e-bay or whatever!:(

Not just kids, adults do as well.
Yeah,I`m in my fifties CCR....... Collected when I was a boy;but unknowingly ruined a large collection of stuff by marking either who had signed/(next the signature);or my own name;or the scoreline or crowd on the cover of programmes.....my Maw gave it all away to a cousin down in Manchester when I got married....... later in life I had two sons and started again for them to have an interest.... long story short I ended up divorced and an ex-wife saying you`d better come get this lot or it`s getting thrown out...
Along comes the internet,and I started to sell a bit;until one day when I had a thought `I really don`t want to sell this`....and the pendulum swung completely the other way... that was twenty odd years ago.
My two boys have(BOTH)emigrated;and auld Da` still does the same thing he`s always done. :cool:

Impressed!
Talking about programmes - I had lots from the sixties but my old Mum threw them out
Thanks HiHi Among others I have Rangers no1 issue;more than a few double digit pre 1950`s issues;the 1947 LC Final;two or three copies of the 1948 SC Final.....it`s by no means extensive or complete;but more than a few gems in there.
I posted pics on the old board of issue no1, but unfortunately I don`t have them stored on file to repost.
I`s a shame your old dear threw stuff away;but that`s what happens too often.

Impressed!
Ditto - I had loads. I had the Real v E,Frankfurt as my Dad was there. Loads of early 60's cup finals, loads of Rangers from 60's white with teams on front page and one I collected myself. Left home in '76 and they were eventually lashed by my mother." you didn't want them did ye " Had old Shoot , Goal mags as well

My old man always told me to `get the foreigners` anywhere we were. :)
On the basis they would return home; never to be seen again. :D
I have so much abstract,left field;(however you want to describe it) sh1t
I quite often forget what`s there,until the next bunch of stuff needs filed and stored.
Your autograph book mentioned,should indeed be treasured.
There`s books I have,that I would love to bring to Ibrox;(to try and add to).... a few of them I have to look at the weather forecast beforehand;and decide whether to put them in my bag..... not because of monetary value; they are just simply irreplaceable to me.

It’s amazing how much pleasure (40 years after the fact) that you can get from a footballer taking a few seconds to squiggle his name on your autograph book.

Was lucky that my Dad’s pal had great access at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Regarding autographs (I've posted this somewhere before) I used to go to Ibrox in school hols when the players were in for pre-season. I had a paper round so time to spare as my mates would be in their scratcher until 11. The young ones were made up, Sandy Jardine (favourite ever Ranger) used to walk up from the subway, as did big DJ. Not many in cars. Recall John Greig, wee Bud Colin Stein and Willie Henderson arriving by taxi and the one occasion I asked Willie he just put a stroke through the page. Alex Miller, Alex McDonald and Dave Smith always friendly. I then used to watch the training from the flats overlooking the Albion. Sad or what.

Years later took my son a couple of times when in Glasgow. Gazza, Gough, Goram always sound but the kids got snubbed by Tony Vidmar until he was given some advice.
Stay safe WATP.

Regarding autographs (I've posted this somewhere before) I used to go to Ibrox in school hols when the players were in for pre-season. I had a paper round so time to spare as my mates would be in their scratcher until 11. The young ones were made up, Sandy Jardine (favourite ever Ranger) used to walk up from the subway, as did big DJ. Not many in cars. Recall John Greig, wee Bud Colin Stein and Willie Henderson arriving by taxi and the one occasion I asked Willie he just put a stroke through the page. Alex Miller, Alex McDonald and Dave Smith always friendly. I then used to watch the training from the flats overlooking the Albion. Sad or what.

Years later took my son a couple of times when in Glasgow. Gazza, Gough, Goram always sound but the kids got snubbed by Tony Vidmar until he was given some advice.
Stay safe WATP.

Nothing sad about it, incredible how much access we used to get to our heroes.

They do. One of my grandsons favs was with Jean Claude Darcheville.

JD was a gentleman in my opinion and my grandson was so pleased to meet him and get his autograph. After signing JD went back into the stadium only to appear half an hour later in his car with his partner.

We were now the only two on Edmiston Drive when here comes JD leaning out his left hand drive and giving us his special salute.

It was an unforgettable moment and all three of us burst into laughter as he sped west towards the motorway.

JD sure made my 10 year old very happy.

Thanks HiHi Among others I have Rangers no1 issue;more than a few double digit pre 1950`s issues;the 1947 LC Final;two or three copies of the 1948 SC Final.....it`s by no means extensive or complete;but more than a few gems in there.
I posted pics on the old board of issue no1, but unfortunately I don`t have them stored on file to repost.
I`s a shame your old dear threw stuff away;but that`s what happens too often.
I sorted out my programme collection today, thought it might take an hour or so ( 6 hours it took ) really enjoyed looking back through my collection, few random autographs here and there, don't recognise most of them !! Earliest one i have is 1967 fairs cup v Dynamo Dresden .

I always cherished my autographs more that the pictures i had with players when I was younger.

We used to spend the summer holidays walking up to Ibrox and hanging around the main door of the stadium and the Albion, trying to get the players autographs.
We were in a picture on the back page of the Evening Times once, all crowded round Andy Penman. My wee granny got on the bus up the toon, went to the Times office, and got a copy of it and hung it on her wall.

Over the years autographs seemed to descend into an inelligible scribble. I had a load when I was a kid in the 60s and you could clearly read them all.
Player autographs became a joke by the late 1990s - a scrawl and a squad number next to it.. horrible!

Compare that to the likes of Alex MacDonald and Davie Cooper with their very clear names and Rangers FC next to it.

Ditto - I had loads. I had the Real v E,Frankfurt as my Dad was there. Loads of early 60's cup finals, loads of Rangers from 60's white with teams on front page and one I collected myself. Left home in '76 and they were eventually lashed by my mother." you didn't want them did ye " Had old Shoot , Goal mags as well
Old dear also threw out my collection of Football Monthlies! :(

My g/son has been doing it a few years now and has some collection already.
And fellow bears around us have gave him some classic items.

Autographs selfies he's even got his own gers thingy on internet ... he and another lad do these card things ... it's a different ball game these days.

There's usually loads of kids milling around waiting on the players coming out for autographs at the Copland, each home game.

I see them when I get a lift from Bar72.

It`s life changing, Virgil.
We can`t even put a date on when we`ll be allowed to gather in a crowd again.
Did anyone else read this in their heads as if it was a line from Thunderbirds? Isolation could be taking its toll.

Have had to stand outside the Copland with my wee fella after a game many a time this season... a lot of waiting about but worth it to see the kids faces when the players eventually come out

You still get a fare few kids and adults it has to be said, waiting around after games to get autographs and as has been said, selfies.;):)

My wee routine when my son was of an age of getting said autographs and selfies, was to go to the Wee Rangers Club or the Bellahouston Bowling Club for a couple of drinks after the games and by the time we got back all the players etc were coming out.

He's 18 now, so we just head to the pub after the games now and stay there. :)

The most recent on I have is Defoe's. Met him on the train south one day just after the end of last season. Couldn't have been happier to sit and chat, pose for pictures and autographs. Ended up being the only one in the carriage with him for a while, and he sat and spoke about the football quite the thing. Could tell then he'd caught the bug for us

Since you can now buy whatever autograph you want on eBay, such things are devalued.

Back