Do players have a preference as to the side they like to receive a cross from to head?

Can't believe this is an actual question
Can't believe this is an actual question
Good observation. My left eye is strong, my right eye is lazy
It’s actually a very fascinating scientific and interesting question which I looked at when I was doing a course sports psychology and we found that you would favour a header or even a kick etc when it’s on or in view or your stringer eye which tends to be the opposite of the foot you kick with by the way

For a right footed person you’ll prefer crosses from the right as it also favors your right foot to swing in the direction of the goal of it drops down ?
same for lefties in general ??

Played up front when I was younger. I’m 6ft 3 so I was always solid in the air. Never thought about it but def always prefer the cross coming from the right. I’m right footed.

It’s actually a very fascinating scientific and interesting question which I looked at when I was doing a course sports psychology and we found that you would favour a header or even a kick etc when it’s on or in view or your stringer eye which tends to be the opposite of the foot you kick with by the way
Agreed it is a fascinating scientific question. I go against your general findings as my left foot and left eye are strongest however I consider myself as a bit of an oddity as my right eye is blurred.

Right footed, right handed.

Back in the day definitely more power and precision heading when a cross from wide right.

Only natural I presume.

Personally being right footed I always seem to fare better getting a cross from the right.

Probably a psychological thing but I always felt that I had more control/ power heading from right to left.

Cross from the right all day like long.
If Davy Cooper put one on my head from the left... there's a good chance I'd header it back to him :)

Cross from the right all day like long.
If Davy Cooper put one on my head from the left... there's a good chance I'd header it back to him :)
I scored an og from near enough the halfway line with an overhead kick as a kid. My old boy said it was a thing of beauty.

I got more power when they came from the left funnily enough, but can take them from either side.
But then I was a two footed player, so maybe that's why.
I could deliver corners with left or right foot.

Always found it unnatural being right footed playing it on the left or receiving from it. Still did ok, but most folk I'd imagine would side with the right side.

Thought that this was going to be a mental thread but, I think OP may have a point. Left footers are less common. Right footers appear to prefer crosses from the right.

However, pro players should be coached to accept crosses from either side with equal comfort.

It will be just one other difference that separates the pro from the decent enthusiastic amateur.

Cross from the left head to my right......but I'm fairly ambidextrous so not sure if thats a right or left handed thing to be honest.

Me personally being right footed and right handed preferred attacking a cross from the left.
The motion to properly head a ball feels way more natural to me as a right footer if the cross comes from the right.
You two seem to believe it’s more natural, almost definite, that, as right footed players, you prefer crosses from the right.
I was wondering how exact this is, if at all.
One poster alluded to what eye is strongest.
I can’t say for sure on that one but, I never needed glasses during my playing career and I don’t see too many pros were glasses on a day to day basis.
Maybe they’re just vain qunts mind you.

From the right if you are right footed. Your left shoulder is quarter turned to the target the same way if you were hitting a golf ball, tennis ball, snooker ball, firing a rifle, boxing or even kicking a football.
Your natural weight shift is also right foot to left.

vice versa if you are a southpaw.

Question asked because it seems that whilst Barisic is seen as the best crosser of a ball, most by a chunk, of Tavernier’s assists have came from crossses.
Here’s my theory.
You have players who prefer one foot to another.
That’s obvious, I know.
However, do you have players who prefer to head the ball with a particular side of the head?
I did so I’m sure there are plenty of others.
I preferred crosses from the right.
I’m naturally right footed although I was forced, courtesy of a slap across the head, to get my left up to as high a standard as possible, and wondered if this preference was natural.
I’ve never seen it discussed before.
Could it be that this, more right footers than left, is what makes Tavernier’s crosses more successful?
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I was right footed and naturally was stronger heading the ball with the left side of my napper than my right.

I always just assumed that would have been the natural order of things for everyone.

Righr foot/left side of the head and vice vesra.

So a cross for me to meet would have been better being whipped in from the right.

I suspect that in general if you’re right-footed you prefer crosses from that side and left-footed from the left. But if you always plan to head the ball with the side of your head you’re doing it wrong.;)

This would make the most sense as you shape your body to attack the ball with either your head or foot depending in height of the delivery, so most would want it from right.

I'm sure Hateley was more successful with left side crosses.

Someone mentioned DJ earlier; that's just not fair, he was a monster with a delivery from anywhere.

I'm Left footed and right handed. I prefer a cross from the right side and use the left side of my head.

Question asked because it seems that whilst Barisic is seen as the best crosser of a ball, most by a chunk, of Tavernier’s assists have came from crossses.
Here’s my theory.
That’s obvious, I know.
However, do you have players who prefer to head the ball with a particular side of the head?
I’m naturally right footed although I was forced, courtesy of a slap across the head, to get my left up to as high a standard as possible, and wondered if this preference was natural.
Could it be that this, more right footers than left, is what makes Tavernier’s crosses more successful?
When I played I always preferred a cross from the RHS. Not sure why but it just feels more natural. Not as extreme as trying to kick with my left, but the same ball park.

Also I said played, im talking Saturday league not at any sort of level lol.

Depends on how you are approaching the ball.

If running onto the ball facing the goal it shouldn’t matter. Good example being Mahrez's header yesterday.

Side on to the goal then I think most right footers would prefer a cross from the right therefore using the left side of the head.

Good question.

Im left footed right handed and would prefer cross from right and use left side of head, great Q as most seem to want ball from right

Obviously been a few years since I last headed a ball in 11-a-side. Right handed, could kick (and score) with either foot, but strangely enough, I always preferred a cross from the left and heading with my right side, which in my opinion is the most ’natural’ side for a right-handed person.

Interesting discussion.

Handedness is very real and there are cognitive advantages in resisting it.

You two seem to believe it’s more natural, almost definite, that, as right footed players, you prefer crosses from the right.
I was wondering how exact this is, if at all.
One poster alluded to what eye is strongest.
I can’t say for sure on that one but, I never needed glasses during my playing career and I don’t see too many pros were glasses on a day to day basis.
Maybe they’re just vain qunts mind you.
I preferred a cross from the left, tazza. Don't think there's an exact science to it. Maybe because the strongest side of my body was facing the keeper if you're standing side on when the ball comes in from the left.

I'm left footed and prefer crosses from the left.
What about goalkeepers having a preference for diving to 1 side? Old school football coach used to tell us to watch which foot a gk kicked with and put shots to other side. Not as strong diving off of weaker foot.

Never one for heading.I am a tanner ba player.As a left footed player (not a left footer) I like to header with my left side of my forehead crossed from the right.But was hopeless in the air better on the floor and I was pish at that as well. :))
Edit I can actually kick with both feet but was better on the left.

Here’s my theory.
That’s obvious, I know.
Always preferred speed into box slit touch goes in with a hell of a speed

Here’s my theory.
That’s obvious, I know.
I think it is to do with the fact that when you launch your head to the ball from the right as a natural right footer your power is coming from your right hip , your strongest side.
Bit like an orthodox boxer throwing a straight right in boxing.

I’m right footed. I always much preferred crosses coming in from the right and heading the ball with the left side of my forehead.

I'm left footed and right handed. Going by this thread that seems more common than I first thought.
I would rather head a cross coming in from the right wing.

When I played centre-forward (as it was in those dim and distant days) I always preferred a cross coming in from the right wing, with the goal to my left, before I leapt like a salmon to thunder the header into the net. In reality I probably jumped high enough for a snail to squeeze under my boots as I tamely headed it 6 feet over the bar. Was equally inept when they came in from the left but, for some reason, preferred the former.

Oddly, defensively as a centre-half, I had no preference.

Good thread with an original topic.

I'm right handed and a right footer.

If a ball came from the right, I would be confident of picking a spot and directing it where I wanted it to go.

A ball from the left and I would be just hitting it in a general direction and hoping for the best.

Here’s my theory.
That’s obvious, I know.
Yes.
I was poor with crosses from the left hand side of the pitch,but decent with crosses from the right.
I was almost exclusively left footed.

Left footed and handed, prefer crosses from the right. Interesting to see the different replies!

Yes.
I was poor with crosses from the left hand side of the pitch,but decent with crosses from the right.
I was almost exclusively left footed.
That actually goes against most on here.
Top reply is right footer preferring crosses from the right.

Back