Do Rangers need a better bench?

Yes without a doubt think I've went on about it for months now.

The depth and quality to our squad simply isn't good enough.

When your relying on Barker, Jones, Stewart, as your go to options you know your in trouble. Even the likes of Polster and Docherty aren't up to the required standard.

We need a couple of decent impact players from the bench imo.

all top teams have a good bench. I was looking at the Chelsea bench on sat and it was amazing. Anyone of those players could start in most teams.

Yes without a doubt think I've went on about it for months now.

The depth and quality to our squad simply isn't good enough.

When your relying on Barker, Jones, Stewart, as your go to options you know your in trouble. Even the likes of Polster and Docherty aren't up to the required standard.

We need a couple of decent impact players from the bench imo.
I don't know why people include Stewart when criticizing the team. Anytime he's been called on he's done ok with a few goals too.

You bring in new first team players and the current starter drops to the bench improving your options.

Signing players for the bench is just signing players you already know aren't good enough.

/agree. surely if we get better first team players our bench upgrades as those displaced first team players become our subs

It's the main difference between us and Celtic, they usually have Rogic, Ntcham, Elyounoussi and Griffiths(when he isn't a complete mess) to bring on and change games while we have Jones, Barker, maybe Arfield if he isn't starting and Defoe. While Defoe is still a top class striker, he isn't coming on and making an impact on the game.

From what I've seen of Bassey, he seems to be a bit more direct than Barisic so it's not a bad start for when he needs a rest/picks up a knock.

It really does need to be addressed though, we rarely have an actual midfielder on the bench

But which player currently better thank Jones, will come to Rangers to be a bench warmer.
I think Jones, Docherty etc are perfect for us, as can do a job when called upon and not going to go in the huff when not playing
You don't sign players to sit on the bench, us doing that is a massive part of why we fucked it last year.

You should sign the best players you possibly can and if they replace the current first choice, good.

Definitely need a stronger bench. Especially middle to front. Arguably two of Davis Arfield Aribo and Jack should be on it with one playing and one new signing. Plus Defoe a winger and a good aerial striker.

But which player currently better thank Jones, will come to Rangers to be a bench warmer.
I think Jones, Docherty etc are perfect for us, as can do a job when called upon and not going to go in the huff when not playing
Unfortunately the vast majority of our reserves significantly weaken the team when they come on or are drafted in. That’s what needs to change -
as well as the quality of the starting 11.

You bring in new first team players and the current starter drops to the bench improving your options.

Signing players for the bench is just signing players you already know aren't good enough.

Correct on all fronts.

Our bench for the upcoming season should mainly consist of players who were starters last season.

The majority of our squad players last season need moved on in my opinion.

I don't know why people include Stewart when criticizing the team. Anytime he's been called on he's done ok with a few goals too.
He isn't good enough; not for a Rangers team looking to win the league he isn't.

This is overly simplistic I know. But on Fifa, I aim to have a GK, a defender who can cover a couple of positions across the back and then attack minded players who can make an impact.

We tended to have Wes, Halliday, Kamara, Stewart, Arfield, Defoe etc

I can't see the first 4 in that list having an impact on many games, most know I don't rate Stewart highly and the other 3 are more defensive. Arfield isn't really an impact player either but can certainly add to a game coming on. JD speaks for himself

Well, we need a full new team judging by your comment.
Not really, but there are players who make very little impact in our games and I think he's one of them. I'm willing to agree with you if you can tell me what sequence of games Stewart has had a positive impact in our games. I was hopeful when he signed, but I don't think he's been that good a player.

We need a stronger starting XI which automatically resolves this issue. None of Goldson, Katic, Kamara, Davis, Tavernier, Kent should be guaranteed starters every week.

Buy better first 11 players, and the bench becomes stronger by default. It would be madness to sign guy ‘for the bench’

Games coming thick and fast next season.
We need a big squad to handle that.
Everyone talks about the winter break fvcking up our season the past two years but that's not exactly true. Just so happens that it's from January and after that the advantage of a big squad kicks in. Over the years teams like Motherwell, Sheep and Livingstone have looked strong up to Christmas and then collapsed due to lack of squad depth.
This is the area the scum have a major advantage over everyone else. They can cope better with fatigue, injury and suspension way better then the rest.
So yes we need a bigger squad. The Katic injury has sadly just emphasised this.

We need a stronger starting XI which automatically resolves this issue. None of Goldson, Katic, Kamara, Davis, Tavernier, Kent should be guaranteed starters every week.
Buy better first 11 players, and the bench becomes stronger by default. It would be madness to sign guy ‘for the bench’

That's obvious. You buy players good. enough to replace current first team players.
That way you improve the first team AND squad.

We need better players for the starting 11. Then by natural “default” - we’ll have a better bench when current/previous first picks become bench players.

I’ll be disappointed if we bring in players “to make our bench stronger”

Season 18/19 we were nowhere near good enough, and then the only proper additions to the starting 11 we made pre-19/20 season was Aribo in for Candeias (potentially Helander in for Worral)

I’m not saying wholesale changes are required. 3 quality first team additions will be enough imo. Supplemented by a useful loan and any bosman transfer if there is good/suitable opportunity.

Not really, but there are players who make very little impact in our games and I think he's one of them. I'm willing to agree with you if you can tell me what sequence of games Stewart has had a positive impact in our games. I was hopeful when he signed, but I don't think he's been that good a player.
6 starts 3 goals and 14 off the bench, sometimes with only minutes to go. I'd say he's no had a fair crack of the whip.

6 starts 3 goals and 14 off the bench, sometimes with only minutes to go. I'd say he's no had a fair crack of the whip.
A player with only six starts isn't going to play much of a role anyway. Our depth, or lack of, isn't much to do with the bench, but the lack of depth in the quality of the first eleven. We have too many players who have made little impact in our games; I'd consider Stewart as one of those.

Yes and retrospectively we would have done business differently last Summer. So much wasted wages kicking about, could have halved the amount that came in and got better quality at a higher wage.

A player with only six starts isn't going to play much of a role anyway. Our depth, or lack of, isn't much to do with the bench, but the lack of depth in the quality of the first eleven. We have too many players who have made little impact in our games; I'd consider Stewart as one of those.

We'll agree to disagree.

Bare minimum 4 first team players and at least 3 or 4 for the bench of a better standard. This is why a couple of the players in Scotland like Dykes could be better than having the likes of Barker and Stewart on the bench.

this is spot on.

We should only be bringing in better than what we have.

Bare minimum 4 first team players and at least 3 or 4 for the bench of a better standard. This is why a couple of the players in Scotland like Dykes could be better than having the likes of Barker and Stewart on the bench.

Dykes is exactly the type of standard we shouldn't be signing. Ask yourself this, is he good enough to command a first-team place immediately? The answer is no.

As @CaptainCourageous says, replace players good enough to instantly oust the established XI and the bench gets stronger as a result.

Spot on.

We need two or three players of a quality better than anything we currently have if we’re to win the title.

Personally I think that’s two midfielders for a start and also a goal scoring wide attacker.

In the first instance guys like Jack, Aribo, Davis and Kamara would then be vying to compliment the new arrivals thereby improving the quality of our bench, and in the second we are still clearly lacking someone else that’s a stick-on to get into double figures in the league thereby relieving the goal scoring burden on Morelos, assuming he stays.

I also feel that in an ideal world we would bring in the Colombian’s replacement now in order to create greater competition up front, but I appreciate we’re unlikely to be in a financial position to do so.

Should never be buying players for the bench unless they are U21. As has already been said replace the starting XI and they become the bench.

Back