Do Rangers need a DoF?

Do Rangers need a director of football?

• Yes

Votes: 181 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 79 30.4%

• Total voters
No.It's just another opportunity for someone to bring in his cronies and bleed more wages from us without showing any results. A good manager would have his own staff to look after all aspects of the playing side.

I’m not sure what qualifies Mark Allan as our DoF. The rumours about his choice of manager is shocking.
I have selected No purely on who we have in place at the moment.

A look at our transfer dealings over the last 4 windows should be all the evidence required to make it obvious that a better structure around player recruitment was required.

We can’t go on wasting millions on poorly scouted players, then selling 7 or 8 players for half-price because the next manager wants to bring in his own guys.

I don’t know how to vote as I do not know what his remit is.
In fact I don’t know how anyone can make an informed choice without that essential fact.

The idea of someone overseeing scouting and youth development considering where we are as a club is a must.

Allen making recommendations to the board on our new manager/coach seems a god idea but in reality could cause us more harm than good imo

I say yes, the fact that the DOF may have put forward a name all of us cringe at, is neither here nor there, the DOF would be wrong if he did not put names such as this guy, after all, the template laid down at the club is for a head coach to run the first team squad and that is where his job should end. Let us look at our training centre, we have some of the best men in their field working there, I cant remember a time when so many young players have come thru at the same time, I know that they will not all make the first team, but again this is what the board has laid down as the future for our club. so to recap we go with a first team coach, who we hope can improve our squad, and the DOF will run the rest of the show.

I don't agree, there is a director of football type role at all the biggest clubs in the world.

Nah Bayern Munich, Ajax, Man City, Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur, PSG et al have all got it wrong.

You just have to look at how successful our league and national team is to reassure you that we shouldn't be trying any of this fancy continental shit.

There’s a very odd thing in Scotland where we tend to scoff at new or different approaches and denounce their viability.

Frankly, nobody in Scottish football is in a position to call authority on how the game should be played or the best approach to running a club set up at the top level.

Scottish football is a clusterfck, laughing stock and shambolic product in a death spiral largely due to its refusal to adapt and evolve with the rest of the game.

We have a top flight that is won before a ball is kicked by a team who are unbeaten in over 60 domestic matches who couldn’t fcking buy a win against a decent side in European competition and who have a DEFEAT to an injury-ravaged Bayern Munich side with one eye on their weekend fixture with Dortmund hailed as the second coming by our sports media.

A national side who haven’t qualified for a major tournament in over 20 years, with a captain who decides whether he wants to play international football or not anymore on a whim, no manager and targeting a replacement who has just failed to get Northern Ireland to a WC as an apparent coup.

There is a frightening lack of genuine top level Scottish players coming onto the scene to suggest the future will see improvement and waning interest from broadcasters and sponsors, coupled with dwindling TV audiences will only impact further.

We are in no position to say that approaches that prove highly effective for top clubs in the top European leagues are wrong.

The problem is our failure to embrace them and it’s only going to see us fall further into the abyss imho.

None of us really know whether this will work out for Rangers or not but that is no reason to be dismissive of it.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and it may well work out for us (I reckon it is worth finding out which is of course exactly what is going to happen).

DoF is a great idea as a concept.

We can only wait and see how it pans out.

What we definitely don't need is a new manager coming in who cannot work with the DoF.

It is essential the DoF is fully involved with the selection process.... whether that be a head coach or a manager. My preference would be a head coach.

Back