Do we expect that lot to drop points?

I get the feeling Gerrard doesn't really like Jones about the team much like Lafferty.
Its something I've picked up on too from training videos and media briefings from Gerrard. I get the impression that Jones is falling into that I've made it as a rangers player mentality

He does have ability so that could back up my point.

I dont think Gerrard is liking what he sees on the training pitch

My reading is it’s the final straw with him as he’s made a few references to squad players disappointing recently mate.

If we’d beat Stranraer 4-0, had a comfy 5-1 against St Mirren then walked away with a 2/3-0 at Tynecastle, I’m not completely convinced we’d be seeing this type of speculation.

Wouldn’t be sorry to see either of them go. Simply put though we don’t have capable replacements for them.
Worrying.

Barker was signed by Mark Allen, on the recommendation of Mark Allen, who tried to sign him multiple times previously, because he was the best young player in the Man City academy when Allen was there.
Beale liked him too. Have a read mate

If Stewart is fit though he could do that CB. Caused them mayhem in the home game at Ibrox.

Against Kilmarnock when we were chasing a goal we brought Greg on in the ten role so we had Kent, Stewart and Aribo behind Morelos with Jack and Kamara as the two deep midfielders. It's an option for these tight home games when teams are camped in their box.

Its something I've picked up on too from training videos and media briefings from Gerrard. I get the impression that Jones is falling into that I've made it as a rangers player mentality

He does have ability so that could back up my point.

I dont think Gerrard is liking what he sees on the training pitch
Thats my view on it too, hope i'm wrong as I still think he could have a part to play but if the manager doesn't think so then fair enough.

Never understood why we signed either in the first place to be honest. Barker is nowhere near the standard we require.

Jones was proving me wrong and I have to admit I thought he was far better than I anticipated before the red card. I am hoping he can go out on loan and come back a better player.

Barker I hope leaves to never return

That daft challenge by Jones in the mentally challenged game set him back with Gerrard I think. Barker was an odd one since the day he came in the door. Worked hard in Porto and that was about it wasn't it?

Barker is no great loss IMO. There night be a decent offer in for Jones and it will come down to a financial decision.

They will drop points. As long as Kevin Clancy is not reffing - a penalty will be given to them every game he refs (legitimate or not). They are not a great team.

Both are awful, I don’t get the yearning for Jones to stay, except that he’s a bluenose, but he’s simply not a good footballer. I also note Hardie is being recalled.

Something must be going on in the background. Maybe we are making a move for yet another Liverpool player on the fringes. James Milner or similar? We will definitely need cover if they both go.

Do you not think Jones deserves a 2nd chance?

Individually his treatment of Grezda, Lafferty, Docherty, Murphy etc might be the right call but I wonder whether it creates a culture of fear and creates too much distance between players and manager.

I'll take stick for this (particularly after what we witnessed pre SG) but I wonder if his standards are too high? Is it all stick and no carrot?
I think we need to give SG some slack on this cause he's working with these guys every day. If someone doesn't have the ability or the attitude to reach the heights he wants then he's right to jettison them. I highly doubt that what we see on match day and the wee snippets the press report are the full story.

I would suspect that Jones has had numerous chances in training to do certain things, which he has maybe failed to do. He played against Stranraer and was hiding for the entire match. People don't like Ojo, fair enough, that's their prerogative, but if he's doing what he's asked by the management team in training, and showing for the ball on the park (even though his decision making may be poor), then I can see why they would continue to give him opportunities.

One other thing we haven't considered - could the rumours of Stoke and Middlesbrough at the start of the window have been leaked by JJs camp to try and force the manager's hand into playing him?

The rumours about Jones leaving have been going on for weeks now, there must be something going on behind the scenes whereby Gerrard just doesn’t fancy him.

Barker is just plainly not good enough and seemed at the time to be a rushed signing because we didn’t think we were getting Ryan Kent back.
Is it possible that the Jones rumours were leaked by his camp to try and force the manager into playing him?

Excess of 10k a week for Barker

Surely the %^*& not
He was on 10k a week at man city and with how shite a negotiator Allen was I wouldn't be surprised. He also probably cost about 300k in a development fee.

No wonder our wage budget was starting to get up there.

With signing on fee, development fee and wages we must've wasted 700-900k on the useless waster.

If Brandon Barker is on 10k+ a week it genuinely gives me the fear of what Flannigan is on. Flannigan was on 35k a week at Liverpool, I thought he'd be on about 10k a week with us. But given Barker's wage, I'd suspect Flannigan is on atleast 15k a week.

Last edited:
I think JJ's injury-time tackle - a clear foul actually - during the OF game at Ibrox, was the height of stupidity. Not only did he end up injuring himself and missing half the season, he has clearly pissed off Gerrard and perhaps put his Rangers career in jeopardy. But in his defense, I think at the time he at least showed some passion at the sickening prospect of losing to the yahoos - yes misplaced passion it might have been - but after witnessing the insipid, gutless display at Tynecastle, I think a bit more passion amongst his teammates would not go amiss.

Bit surprised at Jones but fully trust the management team now. I think Jones may regret that late tackle for the rest of his life.

Jones has something to offer, but it’s clear the manager does not trust him fully, in that case it’s better he leaves.

The number of signings we made in the Last summer and previous summer, they will never all be successful. Barker and Jones are low budget signings that never worked out. Not sure why so many are concerned when the board has been full of posts slating them both (and Ojo) for weeks.

Is it possible that the Jones rumours were leaked by his camp to try and force the manager into playing him?

I suppose that could be possible but if so then he’s a silly boy given the reason he was out injured in the first place.

I can’t imagine leaking stories to the press to force a manager to play you would be something that would impress Steven Gerrard.

MU, don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen a significant improvement in Kent from the perspective of the final third. He’s already showing clear improvement in shooting & his final ball.

My comment is in respect to teams being able to keep him out of possession & what he should consider to become more available in certain games. Of course he’s seen as a danger man so teams are often setting up to crowd the areas of the park he likes to work from.

I think Kent is trying to get on the ball as much as possible and influence things Grigo.

If Kent stays wide it can be more difficult to get him on the ball.

You also then have the problem with him and Borna in the same space.

It would curb Borna's ability to come forward.

If you look at Liverpool, (who play a similar formation) then Salah and Mane will move anywhere on the park where they think they can influence the game.
They also leave space on the wings for their full backs to play high up the park.

I suppose that could be possible but if so then he’s a silly boy given the reason he was out injured in the first place.

I can’t imagine leaking stories to the press to force a manager to play you would be something that would impress Steven Gerrard.
Me either, but I don't think that intelligence is one of Jones' more enhanced attributes.

Why has the topic of them dropping points been merged with departure speculation of Jones and Barker?

Draws away at Motherwell and Aberdeen very possible.

Why has the topic of them dropping points been merged with departure speculation of Jones and Barker?

Draws away at Motherwell and Aberdeen very possible.

Bit difficult trying to navigate the forum with that.

Feel like I've contracted the Corona Virus after reading about Barker and £10k a week, fuck me!

Back