Do we have a squad ready striker in Lovelace?

Do we have a striker ready for the first team squad in Lovelace?

• Yes

Votes: 220 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 459 67.6%

• Total voters
Ask yourself another question. Would it be fair to put him into this squad right now? We’ve done it with King sue to injury to others but his form suggests he’s not ready to step up and play week in week out.

I have seen him play games for the B Team.
Sometimes he looks great other times he is really far off it.
That is against lowland league teams.
He is a raw talent,but nowhere near playing in the top team.
He has the physique and pace.
Alarming that 69 people on here actually think he is ready :oops:;):D

Anyone who's actually seen him play regularly for the B team, against part time 6th level footballers, can see he's still considerably off our first team level.
Can tell there's a player in there but he's a long way off the level we're looking for, people forget if boys like him were ready to walk straight into a first team then they probably wouldn't be at us playing for the b team

It's not a good idea for fans to over-hype young players. The hype can get go to their heads and negatively impact their career.

Ive no idea as ive never seen him play but the kids have to a better option than the way Rangers set up against St M. One loan striker thats unfit i mean when you play that way with little or no movement in the box you should expect to drop points.

You would like to think the next manager will work out we need 2 strikers in some spfl fixtures. If ones a kid with no experience then so be it give them their chance.

Could you imagine the new manager playing/bringing on lovelace instead of a more established player and we dropped points. All hell would break loose

Can tell there's a player in there but he's a long way off the level we're looking for, people forget if boys like him were ready to walk straight into a first team then they probably wouldn't be at us playing for the b team

Agreed.

King and Lowry are looked upon as closer to the first team than Lovelace.

If we're being honest, we've seen how far off King is from being at the level to start as a first pick central defender and Lowry blows hot and cold against part time journeymen, in the Lowland League.

Even they’re both still a fair bit off the level required to start regularly for our first team.

A 16 year old who is good enough to be playing in our 1st team wouldn’t be playing for us. He would’ve been snapped up by an EPL team.
Yeah we will get an idea when one of the kids are good enough to play in the spfl when they move to a big English club.

BBC and ITV might not be great but thank god the World Cup isnt on sky.

It actually beggars the question, other than King and Lowry, is there anyone in the B team who can step up if required?

Mccann was bought.
King and Lowry were identified by soccer school staff
Devine can't get a game despite an injured Tav
Robbie Ure, I'm sorry to say, is 110% effort but isn't near the standard.

I don't really think that the Academy is producing any real quality in any regular season. The players I have mentioned are only involved, imo, simply due to injuries. King will be a good player as he develops. Lowry also,but will it be with us? I'm not a fan of the B team set up. I think beating amatuer teams (and losing) doesn't develop them as pros. They need to be playing imo in the lower leagues against seasoned journeymen professionals. Just my opinion.

A 16 year old who is good enough to be playing in our 1st team wouldn’t be playing for us. He would’ve been snapped up by an EPL team.
Technically not true in this case. He would have cost a lot more to an EPL team, even OOC.

Think we got him for 100k using the cross border rule that we have done quite a few times, similar with Aribo.

Technically not true in this case. He would have cost a lot more to an EPL team, even OOC.

Think we got him for 100k using the cross border rule that we have done quite a few times, similar with Aribo.
Yeah, I get that. I just think it’s unlikely that we will unearth a gem from the English leagues very often as the big English teams seem to scout everyone these days for their own academies. I just think that if he was a player who is good enough for our 1st team squad at 16, a top English side would’ve been seeing that potential and getting him at 13/14.

No of course we don’t currently. He is 16 years old

This constant threads about our young players and jumping the gun with them are tedious. Just let the boy develop and see how he gets on

I've watched him. He's not ready. Nowhere near it in actual fact.

Im not saying he is ready, but Ive seen plenty young lads come through the youth system at my club that dont look ready.

a run out in the first team and they can surprise you

can be the making of a boy

(to add, most are 18, not 16)

I doubt many people in here have actualy seen the boy play.
This for me. I haven’t seen enough of him play. I’m sure he played in the B team v Liverpool, which I watched on YouTube, but they were a much bigger and better team, so I can’t say he stood out. The boy Doak certainly did.

Whoever the new manager is, he's going to have to get the best out of existing players as well as bring in talent. I think he has someone in Lovelace who might be an interesting wildcard.
You'll go far to see a more naturally and instinctively placed strike by a youngster than Cole McKinnon's at Tynecastle on the last day of last season.

I don’t think anybody knows unless they regularly watch the boy. I have seen him this season twice v Liverpool on TV. He has the physique, skill and pace but the development coaches will be the only ones that will know when he is ready.

Sometimes wish we still had the old reserve league so that young players had the chance to play men’s football in a safe environment. The B team is better than youth football but a full team of boys against hardened and sometimes bitter failed pro’s isn’t perfect. I think the Lowry tackle wouldn’t have happened if a few old heads returning from injury had been on the pitch. The culprit would have had second thoughts.
I think the Lowry tackle wouldn’t have happened if a few old heads returning from injury had been on the pitch. The culprit would have had second thoughts.

I'd take it further. If Lowry had been an automatic in the first team squad, which he should have been before the likes of Wright, Sakala and even Matondo then he wouldn't have featured in that match in the first place.

I think the Lowry tackle wouldn’t have happened if a few old heads returning from injury had been on the pitch. The culprit would have had second thoughts.

I'd take it further. If Lowry had been an automatic in the first team squad, which he should have been before the likes of Wright, Sakala and even Matondo then he wouldn't have featured in that match in the first place.
That’s a good point. I seen him a few times at B level and he was excellent . When he played at Tynecastle I thought he was a cert to be a first pick. The type of player that no other team has.

That’s a good point. I seen him a few times at B level and he was excellent . When he played at Tynecastle I thought he was a cert to be a first pick. The type of player that no other team has.
From the moment he came on against Stirling Albion in the SC tie in January and passed the ball into the net I thought he looked a cert to make the grade, much like the two Fergusons and Durrant.

Let's hope he starts to flourish in the coming period.

At 16, I don't even think he's squad ready for Thistle, Alloa whoever.

Think he'll mature into a first team/squad player but at the moment he's classed as development for a reason.

Yeah we will get an idea when one of the kids are good enough to play in the spfl when they move to a big English club.
Exactly. Lovelace has played English Championship level and is not ready for SPFL????
I might agree that he probably needs more meat on his bones but skill-wise he is ready.

Exactly. Lovelace has played English Championship level and is not ready for SPFL????
I might agree that he probably needs more meat on his bones but skill-wise he is ready.
He’s played 20 minutes of championship football, likely as an incentive for him to hang around. He’s already played 14 minutes for our first team.

Jesus Christ, this is just getting more mental by the day.
One of Michael Beale's first orders since returning to Rangers as manager was to promote forward Zak Lovelace, right-back Adam Devine and midfielder Charlie McCann from the B team to train with the first-team squad. (Daily Record)

It's fair enough to have an opinion but if you're going to turn your opinion into an attack then you better be right.

One of Michael Beale's first orders since returning to Rangers as manager was to promote forward Zak Lovelace, right-back Adam Devine and midfielder Charlie McCann from the B team to train with the first-team squad. (Daily Record)

It's fair enough to have an opinion but if you're going to turn your opinion into an attack then you better be right.
I thought McCann and Devine were always first team squad this season.

Wouldn’t be like the record to make stuff up would it.

I have seen him play games for the B Team.
Sometimes he looks great other times he is really far off it.
That is against lowland league teams.
He is a raw talent,but nowhere near playing in the top team.
He has the physique and pace.
Alarming that 69 people on here actually think he is ready :oops:;):D
To be in the squad, training with the squad. That’s the question, not starting 11.

Seen him play a few times for the B team, he's nowhere near ready... patiently waiting on someone as always coming out with 'but DJ played when he was 16'. That was 50 years ago and has absolutely no bearing on a 16 year old Lovelace today!
When you tell them that it was 50 years ago they will just counter with "What about Haaland" ha ha

When you tell them that it was 50 years ago they will just counter with "What about Haaland" ha ha

Haha true, it not impossible for 16/17 year old to break through, it even happens at the highest level sometimes. Messi, Haaland as you said and Mbappe to name a few. It's extremely uncommon tho.

Good that he has been moved into training with the first team. See how he fairs with them and might very well get his chance.

Big DJ scored an old firm cup final winner when he was 16 years of age. The greatest of all Pele played in a World Cup final aged 17. Michael Owen played in the World Cup finals aged 18.

I wonder when they’d have finally gotten a game under these strange FF rules about players being too young.

The well known phrase if you’re old enough you’re good enough springs to mind and seems many have forgotten it.

To be in the squad, training with the squad. That’s the question, not starting 11.
The OP asks ready for first team squad,which implies to me that he would be included in the match day 18,doesn’t mention just training with them.The same poll could be run for plenty of the B team players then,some of them have show much more on a consistent basis than Lovelace.

Big DJ scored an old firm cup final winner when he was 16 years of age. The greatest of all Pele played in a World Cup final aged 17. Michael Owen played in the World Cup finals aged 18.

I wonder when they’d have finally gotten a game under these strange FF rules about players being too young.

The well known phrase if you’re old enough you’re good enough springs to mind and seems many have forgotten it.

Think you might have gotten your well known phrase arse for tit!

The OP asks ready for first team squad,which implies to me that he would be included in the match day 18,doesn’t mention just training with them.The same poll could be run for plenty of the B team players then,some of them have show much more on a consistent basis than Lovelace.
Who are the genuine B team prospects just now mate? I know you attend games

Back