do we have our own rebuild on the horizon?

Definitely.

We have stood still. Bacuna’s cameo performance is testimony to that.

Penny for Dougie and pals thoughts if they regret not pushing the boat out. If they had, I’d contend that we would possibly be out of sight and £30m richer.
We should have found a way to somehow to freshen things up and improve the 1st team, not just the squad. We might even have made the CL this season and not be sitting facing the very real situation where all the hard ground work for CL automatic qualification and those riches are allowed to pass across the city.

Recent recruitment has been rank rotten.
We have a massive rebuild on our hands.
If by chance we dont get to the champions league, then we will have some serious issues in funding new players/ keeping some.
Theres no one knocking on our door with fancyful offers for players.
Pretty concerned tbh

McLaughlin

Patterson
Helander
Balogun

Kamara
Lundstram

Roofe
Kent
Hagi

All most likely starting or close to starting our first game next season, folks need to calm it a bit about this TBH
Is that core intended to impress?

Definitely.

We have stood still. Bacuna’s cameo performance is testimony to that.

Penny for Dougie and pals thoughts if they regret not pushing the boat out. If they had, I’d contend that we would possibly be out of sight and £30m richer.
We have regressed , not stood still.

We should have found a way to somehow to freshen things up and improve the 1st team, not just the squad. We might even have made the CL this season and not be sitting facing the very real situation where all the hard ground work for CL automatic qualification and those riches are allowed to pass across the city.
Agreed mate.

As others have said previously elsewhere the starting 11 hasn’t been improved. The squad hasn’t been either. Stevie and his staff have more or less got blood out of a stone, coupled with the players collectively producing for a solid ten months. You can’t expect that to continue indefinitely, and in light of that, they need a hand with an injection of genuine quality. Not more of the same like the players brought in to replace those that have moved on.

Granted, it would appear that we have in all likelihood stagnated. Will it be enough to see us over the line? Question marks are legitimate given the form since 31st July.

Who said that though?
You quoted these players as being more or less in our starting 11 next season and that folk need to calm down.
That suggests don't worry, 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing, gonna be all right ?

You quoted these players as being more or less in our starting 11 next season and that folk need to calm down.
That suggests don't worry, 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing, gonna be all right ?
I would expect us to be making a couple of changes to the first team next season rather than wholesale surgery, sure.

McLaughlin

Patterson
Helander
Balogun

Kamara
Lundstram

Roofe
Kent
Hagi

All most likely starting or close to starting our first game next season, folks need to calm it a bit about this TBH
Do you think that that line up is CL level?

Yeh I have been to 3B team games this season at Dumbarton's ground. They look the best crop of young players I have seen in years. My point was more that some others should have broken through the in last couple of years
I just wondered. I haven’t seen any games but players been getting rave reviews.

I think getting everything right behind the scenes at youth level has been a harder job than the first team. Years of mis-management by previous regimes.

Last edited:
A It would have already qualified
B against PSG for instance, god knows, doubt there is much we will be able to do to prevent the possibility that might happen
You honestly think that that back three would win the league and win a p.o. if required?

You are obviously an optimist. That side would be torn apart in the group stage if you ask me.

McLaughlin

Patterson
Helander
Balogun

Kamara
Lundstram

Roofe
Kent
Hagi

I don't think this is as strong as post as you think it is.

at the end of this season, as it stands we have, off the top of my head, McGregor Davis McLaughlin Arfield Defoe Goldson Balogun out of contract and the likes of Aribo, Morelos Jack Helander and Kent all going into their final years of their contracts. I imagine some will be offered and sign new contracts, possibly Defoe and McGregor retiring at the end of the season but thats a lot of important players potentially moving on or needing sold if we are to get any fee for them.
The starting 11 will need a rebuild next season for sure.

You honestly think that that back three would win the league and win a p.o. if required?

You are obviously an optimist. That side would be torn apart in the group stage if you ask me.
It as a core group who would have already “won” the league twice and wouldn’t need to win a Play Off.

I made mention of a core who would all start or be close to starting, factoring in the idea of additions. It’s literally like a few posts up bud and even since expanded on it.

“I would expect us to be making a couple of changes to the first team next season rather than wholesale surgery, sure”

I think the squad management has been really poor, to leave us in this position. Not a good look for the board & especially Wilson. Gerrard is always going to want to hold on to all the players he can.

McGregor Davis McLaughlin Arfield Defoe Goldson Balogun out of contract.

Some of our key players are going to be looking to move on after spending 4/5 years here and the fact we need to bring some money in from sales.

Looking at a big turnover of players, and personally I think new manager as well.

It as a core group who would have already “won” the league twice.

I made mention of a core who would all start or be close to starting, factoring in the idea of additions. It’s literally like a few posts up bud and even since expanded on it.

“I would expect us to be making a couple of changes to the first team next season rather than wholesale surgery, sure”
I disagree entirely.

A couple of changes to that starting eleven will not take us to where we want to be. As far as I’m aware, it is yet to be confirmed that the Scottish league winners will definitely gain automatic entry into the groups. Also, I genuinely believe that that starting eleven that you’ve listed would be far from guaranteed of winning a play off, even with a couple of additions (the quality of which, being of a level that previous signings have signposted up to this point).

Very early days obviously, but I strongly suspect that the board will have some serious work to do in the coming months. You could argue that the upcoming window(s) is/are the most important yet.

Last edited:
Class, I clearly don’t and think my own thing, it’s cool you have your view, you own that, you be you I’m totally at ease with the things I think.
Ok mate, whatever.

What kind of quality would be the two augmenting additions be of?

We need to rebuild every season but money is the issue, that’s why it is a must to win the league this season the money will be there for it to happen

In terms of form, I’d agree. But the squad as a collective can definitely play better. Injuries and availability have definitely hindered us though.
There s always going to be injuries, we have more than most over the years.
Theres no doubt we can play better, but i think we have stood still.

There s always going to be injuries, we have more than most over the years.
Theres no doubt we can play better, but i think we have stood still.
Agreed mate. In a fortnight’s time we will almost be in November. The form can’t be explained away with early season rustiness.

Stevie, the players and the board have a job on. They know that. The fans? I’m not too sure. There’s an unhealthy disregard for everyone else based on how the Charlies seem in disarray, and that isn’t going to continue forever.

We need to improve considerably. Do we have the personnel (given various stages in their careers)? That remains to be seen.

Agreed mate. In a fortnight’s time we will almost be in November. The form can’t be explained away with early season rustiness.

Stevie, the players and the board have a job on. They know that. The fans? I’m not too sure. There’s an unhealthy disregard for everyone else based on how the Charlies seem in disarray, and that isn’t going to continue forever.

We need to improve considerably. Do we have the personnel (given various stages in their careers)? That remains to be seen.
I dont see any of this team taking up the mantle for the next 5 years.
If we dont get champions league, i could see SG chucking it.

I dont see any of this team taking up the mantle for the next 5 years.
If we dont get champions league, i could see SG chucking it.
Aye, agreed again mate. Stevie has ambition that the board will need to try and come close to matching. He’s not daft enough to discount the limitations that attracting players to Scotland brings, but he can’t be expected to coach rough diamonds or pick up Bosmans forever. He’ll get fed up.

I honestly reckon that a few were promised moves following CL qualification and the fact that that didn’t transpire, the resultant disappointment has contributed to the apparent lethargy and lack of intensity on the pitch.

It's a natural progression with football teams a constant revolving door,Players out players in preferably a slow steady rebuild rather than a total rebuild..

And in those moments you find out whether our manager is up to the task, because all great Rangers Managers built multiple teams.

at the end of this season, as it stands we have, off the top of my head, McGregor Davis McLaughlin Arfield Defoe Goldson Balogun out of contract and the likes of Aribo, Morelos Jack Helander and Kent all going into their final years of their contracts. I imagine some will be offered and sign new contracts, possibly Defoe and McGregor retiring at the end of the season but thats a lot of important players potentially moving on or needing sold if we are to get any fee for them.
We should always be rebuilding

Recent recruitment has been rank rotten.
We have a massive rebuild on our hands.
If by chance we dont get to the champions league, then we will have some serious issues in funding new players/ keeping some.
Theres no one knocking on our door with fancyful offers for players.
Pretty concerned tbh
The current DOF hit rate isn't any better than the much maligned previous DOF. He also hasn't had a big sale that was criticism of the previous man.

It’s vital we get the CL money to continue moving in the right direction but expecting significant changes in the summer

Something has to be done soon. I do believe that injuries and so on have played a massive part but we have to do something. People are saying that we shouldn’t worry too much, look at Celtic etc. Well, Celtic are only 4 points behind and have scored more goals than us and let in less. We have to be careful in regards to the whole top 4! Some of our players maybe do need dropped for a couple of games or so. One thing is for sure, as I say, something has to be done. We definitely need players in January though.

McLaughlin

Patterson
Helander
Balogun

Kamara
Lundstram

Roofe
Kent
Hagi

Balogun is off to Germany at the end of this season buddy , he’s made it clear.

Balogun is off to Germany at the end of this season buddy , he’s made it clear.

It’s not that clear

“But with the Rangers we are first looking at the Champions League, if we successfully qualify. Who wants to miss this? When I stop playing football, I will return to Germany. If that happens before then, I don't mind. But my near future lies with the Rangers."

It's just a matter of form, I don't have to worry about that - I definitely want to stay [at Rangers],” Balogun told Bild.

“Germany is my Home. I sacrificed so many moments with my family in order to pursue my career. If there was a chance to get closer to them again, I would listen to it.”

The current DOF hit rate isn't any better than the much maligned previous DOF. He also hasn't had a big sale that was criticism of the previous man.
Poor from Ross Wilson at the moment.
The big chase to get him and resultant salary has resulted in zero.
Next 2 windows are massive for us.

A rebuild was needed this summer and it was almost certainly planned for, but covid wrecked that.

It's quite clear we were hoping to sell a couple of players for big money to finance the next stage.

Goldson is leaving, his Mrs wants to be closer to home/ her family when the new baby arrives

And in those moments you find out whether our manager is up to the task, because all great Rangers Managers built multiple teams.
Things don’t stand still,If they do things get stale and predictable,Previous Rangers managers have freshened things things up at the right time to kick the team on when we were in a bit of a rut.

Surprised some aren’t realising this till now. The failure to sell players in the summer was mystifying given the consequences.

A lot of fellow fans keep talking about us needing to win a cup this year, the league on its own is not good enough.

Not for me.

Last season was possibly one of the most important seasons in our history (that or 9IAR) season. Ending Terry Munro and claiming 55 meant so so much to us.

However this season IMO is the MOST important season in the clubs history maybe not so much for the fans but for behind the scenes, for the actual club i cant see any other season as important as this one.

Winners are almost guranteed champ league spot, and next year for getting to the group stages teams will rake in over £40m. Thats the sort of money that pays back every investor and still leaves is in the black. It a total game changer in regards to the financial structure of the club. We have made no secret of having to pay back the monies we owe out and that day looms closer with each day.

Winning the league this year means we choose who to sell rather than forced, we can renew the contracts that need renewed, we pay back any loans and become completely debt free.

So for me winning the league is all that matters. As long we take that no other competition is of consequence, a bonus for me. 100% of focus has to be on the league, europe and cups take a complete back seat IMO.

What you think?

Back