Do We Have The Best 4 Full Backs In Scotland?

TerryArcade

I thought Patterson was outstanding yesterday and gave the Brighton LB a torrid time. He was brilliant defensively too, winning a few 50/50s into the bargain.

Bassey linked up well with Kamara and Jones down the left and was also good defensively. Not as much end product from him when he got to the by-line IMO though, most of his crosses were blocked as he didn't get enough space from the defender.

We're in a great position right now with these two as back up.

Gibraltar Loyal

I think we do.

Don't think anyone would argue that Tav and Borna are the best right and left backs in our league.

Patterson is probably now first choice right back for the National team and Bassey has looked very impressive against EPL opposition in the pre season matches.
He seems to be improving with every game.

Only Taylor or Doig could be considered as rivals to Bassey, but his strength, aggression, pace and defensive one on one ability, not to mention his attacking abilities, makes him a far better option than either of them, imo.

Thoughts Bears?
Doig a rival yes. Taylor no. Doig has performed well whereas Taylor has done nothing to convince me he is a player

AdiCR2

if Bassey was playing with Hibs we would be crying out to sign him.

he needs to work on his final ball and when it clicks with him he will be a real threat

Heisenberg

If Hibs had Bassey, Doig would be his backup...
Possibly in the short term but Bassey's about 2.5 years older than him.

We all love a bit of hubris but let's not get away from the fact that Doig looks an exceptional talent.

Fast forward to season 22/23, can you imagine we had Patterson and Doig as our full backs? 57/58/59 will be rolling in!

MearnsUnionist

Doig a rival yes. Taylor no. Doig has performed well whereas Taylor has done nothing to convince me he is a player
Doig is a decent young player, but he's never done anything against us or the scum mate.

I mentioned Taylor, simply because he's ahead of Doig in the international pecking order..

I don't particularly fancy either of them tbh.

Gibraltar Loyal

Doig is a decent young player, but he's never done anything against us or the scum mate.

I mentioned Taylor, simply because he's ahead of Doig in the international pecking order..

Understand where you are coming from but your arguement falls when you consider O'Donnell is ahead of Patterson in the international pecking order. On that basis alone I stand by Doig being better than Taylor however, neither are as good as Bassey and neither would be allowed to clean Borna's boots.

Bianconeri Bear

Official Ticketer
In all honesty I think Josh Doig is ahead of Bassey at the minute, but that's not to say that in the long run Bassey won't be better.

We've got the best two right backs though and two of three best left backs.
I would agree with this, Doig is a fantastic prospect. I would like us to make a move for him before he heads south.

rupertdabear

I don't see it with Doig mate, against decent opposition.

Both Patterson and Tav had him on toast last season and he really struggled against them.

Even at the piggery, Frimpong destroyed him and he got hooked for Lewis Stevenston at half time.
He struggled badly against St Johnstone in the Scottish Cup Final too.
i'm with you mate. i just don't get the hype around that doig lad at all .and as for taylor,he s just a half decent plodder similaer to o'donnell on the opposite flank .couple of hod carriers when they are up against higher opposition .

Rule Britannia

Official Ticketer
Basseys final ball is suspect imo. He looks big and powerful but if we were to sell Borna tomorrow i would want another LB in. I reckon he also needs loaned out to get games under his belt. I would put Doig infront of him at the moment.

The other 3 speak for themselves. Nobody comes close (unless you're a jakey Scotland Manager...)

tazzabear

I think we do.

Don't think anyone would argue that Tav and Borna are the best right and left backs in our league.

Patterson is probably now first choice right back for the National team and Bassey has looked very impressive against EPL opposition in the pre season matches.

Only Taylor or Doig could be considered as rivals to Bassey, but his strength, aggression, pace and defensive one on one ability, not to mention his attacking abilities, makes him a far better option than either of them, imo.

Thoughts Bears?
Can’t argue with a word of this.
Other than, at this point, only Doig would be close as Taylor is nowhere near that level.
Actually, I might even go one further.
If O’Donnell is the best of the rest, I’m putting up our “B” team right back and claiming we’ve got the three best right backs.

dh1963

I'm a miserable old git, as I thought Bassey was quite poor defensively yesterday, giving their winger too much space before going to challenge him. He is strong, quick and can look exciting going forward, but I would worry if he was left back against good opposition.

For me, he's not yet in the same league as the other 3 full backs who are genuine international class in their position.

wsb&warmy

I think we do.

Thoughts Bears?
Correct on all fronts.

tazzabear

Best two goalkeepers
Best four fullbacks
Best three centre backs
Best midfielders
Best forwards
Best manager
Best coaches
Begs the question:
Is there a player in Scotland who’d improve our team?
An in the mood and focussed Edouard is the only one for me.

temperance

The Huddleboard are debating who is the worse, Taylor or Bolingoli, and that’s their choice at the moment. :D

Kris1872

Official Ticketer
Watching Balogun yesterday, I’d have to agree with top three comfortably and probably four once Katie gets back to match fitness.
Goldson Helander and Balogun absolutely not one other centre half in the league gets near them.
Katic once up to speed and back playing will be above the rest as well IMO.

bilkobear

I think we do.

Thoughts Bears?
I am very impressed by young Bassey.
He always looks like a seriously-minded player when he is on the park.
The professionalism shines out of him.
As for the other three, what needs to be said?

47blue

Yes we do, however it's worth remembering the difficult periods of Tav and Bornas initial Rangers careers.
Let's extend a wee bit more patience to Paterson and Bassey as they develop.

Valley Bluenose

RTV? Completed it mate!
Bassey has really impressed during preseason , which is great to see , putting the whole covid breach behind him. You can see he has talent.

Stephen Kelly has really impressed also.
I think, over the 3 matches so far, its Bassey and Kelly who have consistently performed well. They have certainly done themselves no harm in terms of being part of the squad and ready to step in when called upon. Very pleasing to see, in particular with Bassey, who seemed to be the scapegoat for many on here after an awful team performance in Paisley.

Ubik

Indeed. The quality of delivery from Tav and Borna is pivotal to what we do. I love Patterson as much as the next guy but it was the one glaring weakness he had compared to Tav when he came into the team last season. I felt we missed Tav's quality of delivery massively in the home game against Slavia.
maybe we did however patterson bailed us out a few times that night, his defensive performance was very good and im not sure tav would've done the same.

Empire

@EmpireFF - Twitter
Staff member
Gerrard was having a real go at Bassey yesterday in the first half for not getting tight to their winger. To be honest, I’ve never seen him react to a player like that since he’s been manager. Was actually interesting to just watch it. He done similar with Jack Simpson.

TinoWatp

I think, over the 3 matches so far, its Bassey and Kelly who have consistently performed well. They have certainly done themselves no harm in terms of being part of the squad and ready to step in when called upon. Very pleasing to see, in particular with Bassey, who seemed to be the scapegoat for many on here after an awful team performance in Paisley.
Totally agree buddy

LJ50

I would agree with this, Doig is a fantastic prospect. I would like us to make a move for him before he heads south.
I think that ship has sailed already to be honest; Hibs have been quoting £5m to clubs looking at him. Now, they won’t get that, but no matter how good a prospect he looks, we aren’t paying £3m for a player to fight it out for 2nd or 3rd choice with Bassey.

Based on last season, I tend to agree with those suggesting Doig is ahead of Bassey - I think he looks a great prospect and played consistently at a good level last year already. Bassey certainly has good potential and he didn’t let us down, but Doig appeared like he has more finesse and creative ability. But…. Bassey has had a really good preseason. The pace and power going forward he showed against Arsenal was impressive and he looked good again yesterday.

But that’s the only debate to the OP. There is no doubt that Tav and Patterson are #1 and #2 in the right back slot, and by a million miles too, and Borna is utterly unrivalled as the best left back.

Finfaecarrick

Official Ticketer
I think we do.

Thoughts Bears?
Great post, never thought about it before but 3/4 100% and watching Bassey the past 2 games I'd say yes we certainly do.

Gilberstoun Bear

Official Ticketer
I think we do.

Thoughts Bears?