Do we need to sell this year?

Slybacon

It would be great to keep this squad together. Now, I know our business model going forward needs us to sell, but do we have to sell this closed season coming, in order the balance the books? Will season ticket money, European money, sponsorship etc be enough to hold the squad together.
I'm thinking of our wage bill etc and I guess I'd answer my own question if we are looking to spend decent money on anyone coming in.
I also get one or two may have offers that interest them for a different challenge and that's fair enough.
Thoughts?

The European money is going to be a soft budget as such at the start, due to the qualifiers.

We're a club that's been relying on the strength of the finances of our investors and need something like £20m more from them in the near future. Champions League or not, we need to start making big money on some of these players.

I genuinely don’t see many teams offering what we deem acceptable for the vast majority of our “big/main” players.

Play it by ear.

We’ll already have 3/4/5 players in mind for any position, should a player leave.

It would be great to keep this squad together. Now, I know our business model going forward needs us to sell, but do we have to sell this closed season coming, in order the balance the books? Will season ticket money, European money, sponsorship etc be enough to hold the squad together.
I'm thinking of our wage bill etc and I guess I'd answer my own question if we are looking to spend decent money on anyone coming in.
I also get one or two may have offers that interest them for a different challenge and that's fair enough.
Thoughts?

I don't think we do, but we might if we get crazy money for a player that the management feels can be replaced, with similar or better.
We've multiple wealthy directors who've been pumping money into the club, who are capable of investing more, in for the long haul.
If I was an investor I'd say let's finance this for another year, with guaranteed CL groups & the 25-30M that goes with that, for next season's champions.
We've several high valued assets, several improving as players, so there's no rush to sell. It will probably come down to whether any of them actually want to leave. I wouldn't, but I'm a fan :))

I think we’ll lose 1 big player, and I think it is a ‘must’. If we bring in 20 million in player sales and qualify for the CL , we’re in credit. Qualify for the Europa groups and it’s a break even scenario. We lose 350k per week at the minute. It’s not sustainable much longer.

Yes and no. Yes, because we need to get this transfer model off and running. No, from the perspective that we'll struggle financially if we don't. We aren't under pressure to sell our assets, although failure to make the Champions League might make both the club and a few players open to a move.

Yes.

We need to start the model going.

There is always a reason not to.

Of course, no one wants to lose good players, but this season alone, we’ll have a major deficit.

We need to trust recruitment and begin to cycle through players. Not wholesale, but if we get some staggering offers for a one, maybe two, then we need to capitalise.

There is always the argument that they get more valuable, but you only need to look across the city to see how that doesn’t always work out. Their stars are now worth half what they were this time last year.

Yes.

We need to start the model going.

There is always a reason not to.

Of course, no one wants to lose good players, but this season alone, we’ll have a major deficit.

We need to trust recruitment and begin to cycle through players. Not wholesale, but if we get some staggering offers for a one, maybe two, then we need to capitalise.

There is always the argument that they get more valuable, but you only need to look across the city to see how that doesn’t always work out. Their stars are now worth half what they were this time last year.

Agree with your rationale, but I think we can afford to wait one more year before we start down this route. The reward for winning next year's league is CL riches. We need to strengthen over the summer to try to ensure that goal is achieved. Speculate to accumulate, for one more season.

Sadly yes. Everyone in this seasons squad will be remembered as legends.

However we will need to improve the squad if we want to do better. We can’t rest on our laurels or let sentiment get in the way of progress.

Yes, we do need to sell. It’s unsustainable to keep going on like this without selling.

And considering the rebuild required on the other side of the city, I’d rather do that this summer. Can you imagine we give them a year or two to get a new team together and then we start selling our best players (and possibly dropping us below their level)? If we sell a few this year then, arguably, we’ll still be better than them and still have a more settled team.

For the first time in many, many years Rangers are not only asset rich in players , they’re also in a very strong position to attract signings both of potential and note.

We need to play the market accordingly and that means selling this year and every year.

It shouldn’t be a worry , the management team are on fire and won’t let us down.

We absolutely need to sell, our accounts over the last 2-3 years tell us that and board have been clear on the business model that needs to be implemented. The impact of covid will be much greater than many think too. Im expecting 1-2 main players to depart in the summer but trust us to have replacements lined up and be able to repeat the cycle.

Agree with your rationale, but I think we can afford to wait one more year before we start down this route. The reward for winning next year's league is CL riches. We need to strengthen over the summer to try to ensure that goal is achieved. Speculate to accumulate, for one more season.
Easier to say wait one more year when it's not massive amounts of your money that's being sunk into the club, The model of buy, develop, sell has now borne fruit and it's time to take advantage. As hard as that is for fans to see favourites depart the club it's a fiscal reality.

This season has been magnificent and we now have time and a bit of breathing space.

Expectations may have risen on the park after the front loading but I would like to get as far from 2012 and the spivs as possible off it. Let’s balance the books a bit if valuations are met.

It would appear we really need to sell unless the wealthy investors continue to meet any shortfall caused by lack of match day revenue.

I’ve got a feeling we will be looking to sell Morelos, Kamara, Helander and Hagi.

It's important to cash in on assets at the right time. It's just finding the balancing act of selling a player and not weakening the squad.

I trust we've got a plan around who might go and that drives our recruitment.

A big player sale and balancing the books would be a huge step forward for the club.

Next year's league win doesn't guarantee CL groups. Makes it very probable but that is surely not enough to base a financial gamble on. There are two main issues at the minute for me, do we make CL this season and how has Covid affected the market. Those factors I think will decide both numbers and timing of sales.

There was a guy on here the other day losing his shit over this and at pains to cite John Bennett effectively saying we don’t.

And maybe it’s true we won’t suddenly plunge into financial ruin, but it probably isn’t going to help our position and may preclude the sort of additions to the squad we would otherwise have been looking to make.

We only need to take a look at the depreciation of assets across the city to see the effects of not selling from a position of strength and I’m sure that lesson won’t have been lost on the board.

However, we can’t force out players that are under contract and happy to stay just as we can’t conjure up acceptable bids for them so I’d expect we’ll have strategies for all eventualities.

Our accounts suggest we can't afford to wait another year.

Our board and investors are ploughing millions of pounds of their own money in, to keep the club functioning.

Our business model has to kick in this close season, imo.

Back