Do we recall Ross McCrorie in January?

mkgers

It's clear that we missed Ryan Jack yesterday. Ross McCrorie would have been the obvious replacement for Jack in the team if he was still here, which begs the question: do we recall him in January?

As documented on here following a bright start he's found playing time hard to come by on the South Coast due to a spell of indiscipline on the park and then struggling to regain his starting spot for whatever reason.

Hopefully Jack doesn't suffer any further injuries this season but its clear we need an option if he does. I'm not sure if Ross is the answer or that it would be good for his development to be a permenant understudy at Rangers but I'm not sure what other options we have.

What day the folk of FF, is Ross the answer, do we look to bring in additional cover or is the answer at the club already?

Why? McCrorie isn't doing particularly well with Portsmouth. He was seen as the great white hope after a pretty average loan spell with Dumbarton. Is he actually going to develop into a first choice for Rangers?

Recall him, but only to send him out on loan again.

Unless we have a specific plan for using him to deal with physical centre forwards.

Fair chance he might get recalled if his lack of game time continues, but he's likely go straight out to another club if so.

Probably get told I'm wrong but I think Ross McCrorie is quite over rated by some of our support.

I feel he's typical of Scottish football, big, strong, quick and good at getting about the park, but on the ball it's heart in mouth stuff.

Obviously, he's out on loan to improve these aspects of his play, but the fact he's not playing isn't helping him.

So where have the calls to recall McCrorie been in the previous 20 fixtures we’ve played?

There haven’t been any because we have been overwhelmingly successful in those 20games. And that’s down to those in the squad.

Jack is nearly back, and there are 5 other midfielders vying for 2 more midfield spaces.

We have taken 10 points from 12 on the road..

Won away in the cup on the road

And lost one game away from home in Europe thus far.

That doesn't really validate the idea we should have kept him.

Dont agree. We've scraped by, in the main, away from home. Look beyond the stats

Probably get told I'm wrong but I think Ross McCrorie is quite over rated by some of our support.

I feel he's typical of Scottish football, big, strong, quick and good at getting about the park, but on the ball it's heart in mouth stuff.

Obviously, he's out on loan to improve these aspects of his play, but the fact he's not playing isn't helping him.

Kinda like the type of player we needed in yesterday's battle?

Yes and play him in his proper position,The position he has spent most of his life playing...................right back.He is not a midfielder,never was and never will be

Personally I thought McCrorie would have been a better option than either Aribo or Kamara, but it doesn’t look like he fits the profile of what Gerrard wants from his midfielders. You can probably add Docherty to that too.

When all is said and done, the manager is probably right.

As much as McCrorie would probably have added some much needed grit to the middle of the park yesterday, his distribution isn’t the best and that’s where he’s going to struggle to get back into a Gerrard team.

I probably wouldn’t, but I don’t take the same ridiculous objection to some.

I always said, no matter how limited he is, he’s one of few who’s battle ready. He’s tough tackling and sets a tone.

Irrespective of the Hearts game (dropping points is ok - it’s normal), I was always wary of not having a destroyer type in there.

Think of what McCrorie brought at the Sheep away, Hibs, mentally challengeds etc.

Jack was a huge miss! He’s the one that sets a tempo and helps Davis avoid getting run over.

We are lacking creativity and lacking goals from midfield.

Greg Docherty fairly ripped League One up last season, and in same league Ross McCrorie can’t get a start.

I like Ross, but he ain’t the answer.

Would he? We created one shot on target, I don't think a player like that in midfield would have created more chances.

We needed a physical presence in midfield yesterday, a ball winner someone to drive forward and get the team on the front foot. None of the midfield did that to allow Davis to make passes and dictate the game

Kinda like the type of player we needed in yesterday's battle?
I don't think we did. We needed someone who could cut through the physical stuff, get on the ball and make something happen. McCrorie isn't that player.

I don't think we did. We needed someone who could cut through the physical stuff, get on the ball and make something happen. McCrorie isn't that player.

Midfield was too passive, you need to earn the right to play. We didn't

We needed a physical presence in midfield yesterday, a ball winner someone to drive forward and get the team on the front foot. None of the midfield did that to allow Davis to make passes and dictate the game

Hearts didn't really do anything in the midfield that suggested we needed a McCrorie like player in there.

Their big striker haggled Katic all day, but nothing from the midfield from what I can remember.

We needed someone who could actually calm everyone down, pick a pass and make something happen.

I always said he'd be good for certain away games but you can't keep a player on the books just for that sole purpose.

Hearts didn't really do anything in the midfield that suggested we needed a McCrorie like player in there.

Their big striker haggled Katic all day, but nothing from the midfield from what I can remember.

We needed someone who could actually calm everyone down, pick a pass and make something happen.

A player like Steven Davis you mean? Who wasn't given the platform to play his game because Hearts out muscled/out worked us in midfield?
We missed Ryan Jack in there yesterday, Aribo and Kamara were out fought.

This place is absolutely unreal at times. We go from being world beaters one week to recalling on loan players the next. We really need to start being more realistic as a support.

We dropped points at a ground that is a tricky place to go, far better Rangers teams have struggled there. I get that it wasn't the greatest Hearts team we've ever faced but it's still a tough place to go.

It seems if we don't win every league game this place just loses it's mind.

A point or better on Thursday and we'll be back to world beaters again though.

For me,the mystery is why isn’t young Docherty not getting a fair chance.
I really like his style of game.

Go listen to the gaffers post match interview, he says we didn't earn the right to play our game. Kinda what I'm saying, OK the gaffer doesn't fancy McCrorie but without Jack no-one I'm our current squad can do what Jack brings to the party

Yeah let's recall a guy who isn't playing for a team who are sitting 18th in league one.

Recall and loan out again maybe but he's currently nowhere near good enough for our first team squad.

Why? McCrorie isn't doing particularly well with Portsmouth. He was seen as the great white hope after a pretty average loan spell with Dumbarton. Is he actually going to develop into a first choice for Rangers?

I agree with you , for what it’s worth and only my opinion but I don’t think he is got the quality required to play for us.

This sort of reply stops folk posting. What’s the point?
That sort of reply comes from a narcissistic personality, the type that the only view that counts is their own. There are loads of that type on FF, it becomes very prevalent when posters criticise the manager, any players and or both.

Back