Do we recall Ross McCrorie in January?

With all due respect if he isn't featuring for a team 18th in the third tier of England then it would be pretty mental to think he would feature much for us.

His job right now is to get back in that Portsmouth team and start showing what he is made of.

Recalling him and sending him out on loan elsewhere would be the better option for McCrorie.

Little point recalling him to sit in the stand at Ibrox. He’s getting nowhere near our first team at present.

Last edited:
Only if there is another club he could be loaned to for game time... I actually think he would be perfect for Hearts.

Squad is massive right now in the middle of the park.

If he’s not getting a game then recall him. He went there to gain experience ffs, not as a benchwarmer.

You don't agree with actual, tangible football results?...

Scraped past St Johnstone and Mytjitland to be fair.

Did you miss the bit where I wrote "in the main"?

Results dont tell the whole story. I think we need a bit of 'steel' in midfield. You dont appear to so that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

If he’s not getting a game then recall him. He went there to gain experience ffs, not as a benchwarmer.

He wouldn’t even be on the bench at Ibrox. If he can’t regain his place at Pompey recall him - but only if we have somewhere else to send him who will pay their share of his wages. Otherwise, leave him where he is.

Did you miss the bit where I wrote "in the main"?

Results dont tell the whole story. I think we need a bit of 'steel' in midfield. You dont appear to so that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

I, and thus far results disagree and they predominantly do tell the story to be honest - it's a results business.

Ryan Jack had been massively underrated the past few years, he reads the game, he mops up, he is the mainstay of our midfield. Ross McCrorie is athletic, but his touch is normally a tackle. The two players have nothing in common.

He would be a better option than Kamara in all honesty.

All about opinions mate. Ross is more physical and robust than Kamara, but the latter trumps him in every other department. I don’t think McCrorie has the natural skillset to see him break through under Gerrard - despite the (in)famous ‘future Captain’ quote.

If he cant get a game down there then no to bringing him back. Very limited as a footballer and needs to up his game if he wants to get back in at Rangers.
Would op have asked this if Rangers had beaten Hearts yesterday?

I would never have put McCrorie out on loan personally, but that's just me.

We have to trust the gaffer on this one.

But ... I personally believe that McCrorie in a game like yesterday would excel. We were outfought for large periods, Hearts had more desire than us. That's where McCrorie excels. We were pushed back and who would you rather have in your midfield in such a situation, as much as Aribo has more talent in his big toe, he disappears from matches at the present moment.

As for those saying, 'McCrorie doesn't score or create', yeah he doesn't but we were outfought all over the pitch. McCrorie would have been useful yesterday and in the OF game we lost for instance.

The SPL is purely a league where, if you 'win your battles' in the midfield and then get the ball to your best players, more often than not you win games.

It's all well and dandy having all your ball players on at home to St Johnstone, etc. That's fine and we can still win that way.

But when it's going to be a battle, I'd like to have a McCrorie out there.

Last edited:
All about opinions mate. Ross is more physical and robust than Kamara, but the latter trumps him in every other department. I don’t think McCrorie has the natural skillset to see him break through under Gerrard - despite the (in)famous ‘future Captain’ quote.

Does he trump him in chances created VB ? Or goals scored ?

Does he trump him in chances created VB ? Or goals scored ?

Neither of them play a role where too much of that is expected of them, at least for Rangers. Kamara plays further forward for Finland though, Ross is currently playing right-back if he gets a game for anyone. Without checking the stats (maybe you have already?) but I’d answer your question with yes, I think he does.

Neither of them play a role where too much of that is expected of them, at least for Rangers. Kamara plays further forward for Finland though, Ross is currently playing right-back if he gets a game for anyone. Without checking the stats (maybe you have already?) but I’d answer your question with yes, I think he does.

I knew roughly mate but I have now checked.

Ross has 4 goals over roughly 70 professional games while Glen has 1 in a similar amount of games.

It doesn’t say assists but I remember Glen had an assist at Tynecastle last season & he was awarded the assist v Celtic where Defoe dummied his pass.

I Don’t know Ross’s assists but these don’t support that Kamara is better in every other ‘non athletic’ way.

Glen has a touch & a nice wee swivel but I seriously question his effectiveness as a footballer. I don’t want to criticise the kid because he’s still only 23 but if people are going to criticise the 21yo Ross for having weaknesses then let’s have a fair debate.

I’d just like to make one final point about ‘Ross’s athletic abilities compared to Glen mate. That should include opposition runners from midfield that aren’t tracked. So goals lost is also surely a factor ?

I knew roughly mate but I have now checked.

Ross has 4 goals over roughly 70 professional games while Glen has 1 in a similar amount of games.

It doesn’t say assists but I remember Glen had an assist at Tynecastle last season & he was awarded the assist v Celtic where Defoe dummied his pass.

I Don’t know Ross’s assists but these don’t support that Kamara is better in every other ‘non athletic’ way.

Glen has a touch & a nice wee swivel but I seriously question his effectiveness as a footballer. I don’t want to criticise the kid because he’s still only 23 but if people are going to criticise the 21yo Ross for having weaknesses then let’s have a fair debate.

I’d just like to make one final point about ‘Ross’s athletic abilities compared to Glen mate. That should include opposition runners from midfield that aren’t tracked. So goals lost is also surely a factor ?

You’re clearly a fan of one as much as I’m a fan of the other.

I honestly hope Ross can come through and go on to have a great career at Rangers. Without question, he has had some great games for us. He’s also had a few howlers and many more non-descript. You could argue exactly the same of Kamara I guess, However, my eyes tell me one is the better athlete and the other the better footballer. Ross has age on his side, of course, but the fact that one is a regular for his national and club sides and the other is playing at u21 level but barely featuring in League 1 says a lot.

Kamara’s form this season has been nowhere near as poor as some would suggest. We do tend to warm to ‘warriors’ more so than the skilful players. We’re not always right.

You’re clearly a fan of one as much as I’m a fan of the other.

I honestly hope Ross can come through and go on to have a great career at Rangers. Without question, he has had some great games for us. He’s also had a few howlers and many more non-descript. You could argue exactly the same of Kamara I guess, However, my eyes tell me one is the better athlete and the other the better footballer. Ross has age on his side, of course, but the fact that one is a regular for his national and club sides and the other is playing at u21 level but barely featuring in League 1 says a lot.

Kamara’s form this season has been nowhere near as poor as some would suggest. We do tend to warm to ‘warriors’ more so than the skilful players. We’re not always right.

Agree mate. I have a lot of respect for you & we see most things similarly. On this we disagree but there’s nothing wrong with that.

You have the rest of Glen’s career to tell me you were right & I was wrong but I just feel that there is a lot more to the game than being a silky passer especially in this testosterone driven country :D

Agree mate. I have a lot of respect for you & we see most things similarly. On this we disagree but there’s nothing wrong with that.

You have the rest of Glen’s career to tell me you were right & I was wrong but I just feel that there is a lot more to the game than being a silky passer especially in this testosterone driven country :D

We’d both be happy if the pair of them could step it up a level or two. Or three.:)

It's comforting in these turbulent changing times that FF is still after all these years the most mental Rangers part of the Internet after a setback.
Rangers Twitter sometimes threatens to take the crown but the last 28 hours or so on here shows it's still King of overreaction and mental thinking after a defeat.Don't ever change...

I agree with most of the other posts in that McCrorie is nowhere near the talent/skill level of Ryan Jack.

However, he would have at least have added some urgency to the midfield and a bit of battle.

Sometimes, in certain environments, talent isn't enough and you need players who will kick their granny to get a win. Ross McCrorie is that type of player.

Why? McCrorie isn't doing particularly well with Portsmouth. He was seen as the great white hope after a pretty average loan spell with Dumbarton. Is he actually going to develop into a first choice for Rangers?
Hugely overrated on here I fear. I like his attitude and desire to get stuck in but he's very limited in possession.

Hugely overrated on here I fear. I like his attitude and desire to get stuck in but he's very limited in possession.

Of course he needs to improve that part of his game BB.

But we’ve spoken on here this week about how much Ryan Jack has improved under Gerrard in the last 16 months or so ?

And he is SIX YEARS older than McCrorie.

A
We have taken 10 points from 12 on the road..

Won away in the cup on the road nd lost one game away from home in Europe thus far.

That doesn't really validate the idea we should have kept him.
Agreed too many players didn't hit the form they're capable of and the gaffer can't legislate for that, you'd think he'd kick ass after that,given his post match. So annoying

He wouldn't get near our squad.

Edmundson and Polster have played in there. Edmundson looks a better footballer. His touch, ability to play with both feet, distribution is better than McCrorie. He's stronger and better in the air too.

There's a reason McCrorie is out on loan.

Of course he needs to improve that part of his game BB.

But we’ve spoken on here this week about how much Ryan Jack has improved under Gerrard in the last 16 months or so ?

And he is SIX YEARS older than McCrorie.
I hope so. He's a likeable player and I want him to succeed, I'm just not sure if he's got the technical ability to break into our side and stay there.

No point in him staying another 4 months at Portsmouth if hardly playing.
We should find him another loan at a club who will play him.

Should have kept him here and played him especially away from home. We need a tough ball winner. Edmundson too in my opinion.

Ross is another who seems to gets better the less we see him play.

He is struggling to nail down a starting berth in a poor Portsmouth side. He was sent down south to get games, failure to even do that will not sit well with SG and will surely hinder any chance of a career with us.

For me Ross is to lightweight to play the modern CB position and his use of the ball is not good enough to hold down a defensive berth at Rangers (as well as an over enthusiastic playing style that picks up needless bookings).

This place is absolutely unreal at times. We go from being world beaters one week to recalling on loan players the next. We really need to start being more realistic as a support.

We dropped points at a ground that is a tricky place to go, far better Rangers teams have struggled there. I get that it wasn't the greatest Hearts team we've ever faced but it's still a tough place to go.

It seems if we don't win every league game this place just loses it's mind.

A point or better on Thursday and we'll be back to world beaters again though.

Totally agree, deep breath and think before you speak.

Tell you what, we are in dire straits if we're having to recall a lad who isn't getting a game at League One Portsmouth.

And to think our midfield is the strongest it's been in years and we are JOINT top of the league just a few away days from going into a Europa League group match.

You'd think we were in a relegation battle reading some of these threads.

This place is absolutely unreal at times. We go from being world beaters one week to recalling on loan players the next. We really need to start being more realistic as a support.

We dropped points at a ground that is a tricky place to go, far better Rangers teams have struggled there. I get that it wasn't the greatest Hearts team we've ever faced but it's still a tough place to go.

It seems if we don't win every league game this place just loses it's mind.

A point or better on Thursday and we'll be back to world beaters again though.
Couldn't have put it better myself....spot on!

We have taken 10 points from 12 on the road..

Won away in the cup on the road

And lost one game away from home in Europe thus far.

That doesn't really validate the idea we should have kept him.

We’re doing absolutely fine.

The tunnel vision people get after a single bad result is baffeling.

Back