Do we ring the changes for Falkirk?

Absolutely.

The likes of McLaughlin, Itten, Defoe, Bassey and Hagi should all be starting on Sunday.

I'd go with a second 11 and rest as many as possible,we looked tired last night certainly in the latter stages. Should still be strong enough surely to get past Falkirk.

Good game to get Jack, Aribo and Zungu back up to speed if they are fit.

Is Patterson still isolating?

Hagi, Itten and Defoe up top.

Could also try out Balogun and Helander together.

To be honest, it’s a blow that Paterson is isolating at the moment as last night, for just about the first time, Tavernier looked like he could do with a rest. He lost the ball at one point on the edge of their box, about 10 mins to go, and it’s the first time I can ever remember looking at him turning to run back and thinking he seemed to be labouring.

He does an absolute power of running every single game, and rarely misses any, so accumulated fatigue is inevitable. Would have been a good chance to give him a couple of days off.
It's maybe an opportunity to try Balogun there

I think the manager will put in Defoe , Barker , Hagi , Bassey and Mclaughlin

most likely to rest Davis, Roofe , Barisic .

McLaughlin
Tav Balogun Helander Bassey
Kamara Hagi Aribo (if fit)
Itten Defoe Barker

I’d have had Zungu in but I’m assuming he’ll ruled out based on Gerrard’s Benfica pre match press conference. (7-10days)

I'll go with

Mclaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Helander
Bassey
Jack (if fit)
Zungu (if fit)
Aribo (if fit)
Hagi
Itten
Barker

If the midfield isn't fit I can see Arfield and Kamara starting with one of Barjonas or Dickson
This but with Patterson in instead of tav

Assuming the 3 players that were out last night are still having niggles I don’t see any reason to aggravate it further on that carpet so I’d start

McLaughlin

Tav
Helander
King
Bassey

Kamara
Arfield
Hagi

Barker
Defoe
Itten

I’d like to see itten play as the main striker for once, been put out wide a lot so give him a chance as main striker. Also think we will see a few younger players involved, barjonas?, Middleton, maybe even king at the back.

Slight rotation. We need to go strong and win some silverware.

Would give Itten, Defoe and Hagi a run out. the midfield might need some legs in it. Hope Aribo/Zungu/Jack are getting close to fitness. Could even play Hagi in midfield.

Wouldn't be putting king or barjonas anywhere near the first 11

Can still make big changes though
Just out of interest why not Barjonas?

Gerrard gave him an extended contract..if he's not going to be played in games like Sunday given that Jack, Aribo, Zunga won't be fully fit and Davis, Kamara & Arfield just put in one hell of a shift last night then what's the point in keeping the boy around?

Whatever the team, Falkirk are being realistic about their chances.
From their website...

"Rangers are also unbeaten in the league, sitting top of the Scottish Premiership by an impressive 11 points, with two draws their only minor setbacks. Despite the Ibrox side being called into action later tonight as they take on Benfica in the Europa League, they have plethora of talent to fall back on. Steven Gerrard’s men are in scintillating form, scoring 12 goals in their last two games, and it will be a difficult task for Falkirk to take anything from Sunday’s match."

Just out of interest why not Barjonas?

Gerrard gave him an extended contract..if he's not going to be played in games like Sunday given that Jack, Aribo, Zunga won't be fully fit and Davis, Kamara & Arfield just put in one hell of a shift last night then what's the point in keeping the boy around?
Wasn't it just a year deal?

I just don't think he is good enough long term.

Yeah just a year mate but it begs the question why??

Anyway it now looks like Aribo & Zungu will both feature so we might see him off the bench at best.
Maybe he wanted a right good look at him this year in a make or break season for the boy.

Yeah hopefully see Zungu get some time

Wholesale changes will be made, and they should be, but any team we put out should be capable of victory. As others have said winning silverware is key to this team progessing to the next level and therefore this remains a very important game.

I think it’s important to get Morelos scoring again so I’d play him. If Patterson out we probably have to play Tav. I’d go with:

McLaughlin
Tavernier Balogun Helander Bassey
Jack Aribo
Itten Hagi Barker
Morelos

We don't normally make massive changes for cup games, I think SG likes to keep the momentum going. I think our squad is good enough now we could make significant changes. We probably have the two best teams in Scotland at the moment.

Change the front 3 to Barker - Defoe - Itten. Hagi also needs game time so maybe play him as the AM?

The big change is that the likes of Bassey, Itten, Defoe, Barker & Hagi can come in and just fit into the team with little impact or slowing down of performance.

Even last season just replacing Morelos up front meant the whole appraoch to the game needed changed.

McLaughlin

Tav
Balogun
Hel
Bassey

Zungu
Kamara

stewart
Hagi
Barker

itten

I would like to see Itten given 90 minutes at his actual position

also will be interesting to see if jones and Edmundson will be involved

If Patterson is out of quarantine by then I’d play him. We need to be careful with Tav. A few signs last night he’s getting a bit weary. I’d probably bring Bassey in for Barisic too.
Defoe for Morelos and Hagi for Davis.

Now we have a better idea of who is available, I'd be happy to see....

McGlaughlin

Tav Goldson Helander Bassey

Zungu Aribo

Itten Hagi Barker

Defoe

Possibly Stewart instead of Barker, as Falkirk will probably defend deep.

Back