Do we stick or twist?

Sell Kent, Aribo and Kamara if we get good offers for them. Keep Alfie whatever the cost, even if we lose him for free next year. Keep the rest of the players and invest in a quality CB (unfortunately it looks like Goldson is off), a quality midfielder and a wide right player. 3 very good first team players is all we need to add, we have the spine of a team that made a europa league final, and we have the most promising group of youngsters I’ve ever seen come through.
Good post, not enough goals from the pair of them

Needs to be a shake up of some degree, players coming to the end of their contracts needs to in best words shown the door.

Hard to find players like it but we clearly need more goals from midfield and attacking positions. You compare to the filth, they've got goals from all over the front line.

Think that four or five will come in with maybe the same number going out, we also have a very decent crop of youngsters ready to make the step up to the squad so anyone we do buy must be quality and be starters as well.

Going to an interesting summer and Ross Wilson has to get the signings absolutely bang on.

Time to sell those who don't want to re-sign and move on.

Should get decent money for a few even with a year left after this run.

Have to rebuild and go again.

I think with most things in life, there is probably a balance to be found.

I think we must cash in on some of our assets, but at the same time I wouldn’t be in favour of selling 4 or 5 of them - particularly as it looks like Goldson is away and there are few that may retire / move on a free.

Ideally I’d like us to look at selling 2 players for 2 big fees. Keeps the nucleus of this team together that has been so successful in Europe but allows the manager to bring in his own players as well.

Eg. If big offers come in for Kamara and Aribo, I’d be happy to see them move on and us get big money, whilst holding onto other key assets like Kent and Morelos.

I’d like to keep Morelos & Kent, take money for Aribo & Kamara, make a couple of big signings, and get the likes of Lowry far more central to our plans going forward.
I completely agree with this. A balanced approach. Freshen up and improve the squad we’ve already got, whilst promoting a couple of youth players.

No need for huge changes with 6 or 7 going out and the same coming in.

Quality over quantity for me to compliment the excellent squad of players we already have.

We have to keep a core of the players we have and improve on others.

For me, that involves keeping Tav, Bassey, Lundstram, Aribo/Kent and hopefully, Morelos.

I hope we can make decent money by selling Kamara, Barasic and probably one of Aribo/Kent whilst freeing up wages by replacing Roofe, probably Goldson, Davis, McGregor.

If we lose Morelos, Aribo, Kent, Bassey, Kamara all in one window, I would then worry about our ability to recruit replacements well enough to make a good challenge next season.

Complete clear out for me.

Couple of reasons:

1 - Putting out a performance like that in a euro final, the biggest game in probably all of those players careers is disgusting. I’d be comfortable betting that there’s be a few who woke up today knowing that they didn’t leave everything out there on the pitch. Unforgivable.

2 - Due to that game being so big for some of those players, I don’t see them recovering from it. Ultimately they failed.

Get as much money in now from European finalists, and build new with some youth players in there too, who showed more drive and determination in a nothing game against Hearts than some first team players last night.

Cash in and begin the rebuild. Not fair to ask the manager go again with the same faces especially when you consider there's key players with 12 months left on their deal.

Get the money and reinvest.
Spot on - this team will now be broken up and assets sold

Assuming Aribo / Kent / Morelos will all be sold unless they sign new deals.

We can expect interest in Kamara and Bassey

Goldson is out of contract so will go McGregor and Davis will likely retire

Helander / Roofe should be cashed in on if we can recoup majority of our money as being available able 30/50% of the time is not enough.

Itten should be moved on as he doesn’t fit into the system we play.

It’s going to be a huge rebuild and we need money in to finance it.

Sell any player going into the last year of their contract. Sell 1 at least of big names still under contract. Let all out of contract players leave.

For example I really don't want him to go but Bassey could fund 2 or 3 quality players and some money for the club.

A few months ago with the title slipping away, many of here were lamenting that we didn't sell our best players last Summer when their value was at their peak. With the run in the Europa, a number of players values will be up again this Summer.

Do we cash in on this and rebuild a fresh team with hopefully a higher ceiling? That would likely involve selling our best players, bringing in promising but cheaper young players, whilst the club pockets some of the money to stabilise the clubs finances. The risk there though is with a rebuild we probably would have less chance of getting through the CL qualifiers and could be quite far behind in the league before the new players start clicking.

Or do we stick what we have got. That would probably increase our chances of getting into the CL group stage, pocketing the cash from it, whilst also increase chance of winning the league. The risk there is that if we fail to do that, the players values will likely drop substantially and the club finances would be under real strain. Unlikely to have much spare cash to improve the side from where we are.

It's probably worth noting that for all the stick the scum get about their spending, they actually brought more money into the club then they spent last summer, whilst improving their team significantly (albeit from a lower base than ours).
We should have a model where we develop players and hopefully get a massive resale between 2 and 4 years down the line but think it would be madness to try and punt them all at the same time and leave us in a weakened state.

A few months ago with the title slipping away, many of here were lamenting that we didn't sell our best players last Summer when their value was at their peak. With the run in the Europa, a number of players values will be up again this Summer.

Do we cash in on this and rebuild a fresh team with hopefully a higher ceiling? That would likely involve selling our best players, bringing in promising but cheaper young players, whilst the club pockets some of the money to stabilise the clubs finances. The risk there though is with a rebuild we probably would have less chance of getting through the CL qualifiers and could be quite far behind in the league before the new players start clicking.

Or do we stick what we have got. That would probably increase our chances of getting into the CL group stage, pocketing the cash from it, whilst also increase chance of winning the league. The risk there is that if we fail to do that, the players values will likely drop substantially and the club finances would be under real strain. Unlikely to have much spare cash to improve the side from where we are.

It's probably worth noting that for all the stick the scum get about their spending, they actually brought more money into the club then they spent last summer, whilst improving their team significantly (albeit from a lower base than ours).

Your third paragraph is the exact approach that cost us last Summer. A fear of the unknown and an inability to come to terms with losing one of our better players, all in the hope that it 'just gets us over the line and into the CL'. Celtic have also failed numerous times with this strategy.

We need a real injection of cash which can be reinvested into the team. A Bassey, Aribo or a Kent sale for me.

I think we will still have the crux of a very good squad to build upon despite the exodus and more continuity than most expect. McGlaughlin, Tav, Souttar, Bassey (if we can somehow keep him as he will be in high demand imo), Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Wright, Hagi, Sakala, Alfie (I personally think he will stay) assuming McGregor and Davis retire and Aribo, Goldson, Kent, Kamara, Ramsey and Diallo move on. Upgrade a few key areas with genuine quality and utilise the youths more regularly as the back ups in unison with more experienced players like Roofe etc and I think we will be fine tbh.
I'd say cheerio to Roofe and Helander if possible. Can't get a sustained run in the side from either. With the amount of games we play, we need Tav/Goldson/Kent type attendance reliability.

This team has reached the end of the line and needs freshened up. When things stay the same for too long they get stale and start to decline.

In the summer I think we will be needing the following:

GK
LB
CB (possibly 2)
RW
ST

Got to wonder how much money Gio will be given to go after the players he wants.

This team will be broken up.

Of that there is no doubt.

And it's the right thing.
My fear is we're on here in 3, 4 years time saying Remember all those great euro nights under Gerrard and Gio as we go back to being euro flops every other year.

You have to refresh. There is a quote that I can't fully remember from one of the top gaffers - Guardiola I think - about needing to refresh a squad (or the manager) no later than every 3 years.

I think this team as a unit has come to the end and I think that was made very clear right back to some of those early qualification and league games. Winning or losing last night wouldn't change that in terms of the future.

There are sellable assets, a core of good youth coming through and hopefully some money to re-invest. Now is the time.

I’d like to keep Morelos & Kent, take money for Aribo & Kamara, make a couple of big signings, and get the likes of Lowry far more central to our plans going forward.
Yeh that would be good. However Morelos and Kent need to sign a new contract if not we try to sell. I also feel we will get some bids in for Bassey which would be unfortunate . I would like to see him here for the next few years as a main part of a new team.

Bassey, Lundstram & Tav id like to keep , everyone else i’m open to offers. Variety of reasons inc contracts etc.

I would like to see more of Lowry & Hagi next season.

We are going to Need a CB or 2
Soutter,Ballogun & Hellander all injury prone and with Goldson most likely away. Katic back from loan a decent back up but better quality needed

Another Striker or 2

Let Gio do whatever he wants.

I would rather keep the core of the team, replace a few faces and bring on Lowry and king as I feel there is a good team spirit and the players have gelled well. Too many changes will need time to settle and we need to hit the ground running next season.

But I trust in GVB

The only players that I would keep first team wise are Alfie, bassey and tav. The rest can go

McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Kent all at the end of their cycle with the club.
We reached a European final, only losing on penalties, and you want to get rid of 7 of the team lol.

How much did you drink yesterday??

Time to rip off the bandaid.

• Goldson - gone
  • Tav - if a decent bid comes in (unlikely) - gone
  • Bassey - I'd fight tooth and nail to keep, but if 15/20m offer comes in, have to take it
  • Barisic - sell to any bidder
  • Mcgregor - retire
  • Roofe / Hagi - entertain offers but try and keep, ultimately squad players and cant be seen as starters though imo
  • Davis - run down contract (not sure how long he has left?)
  • Arfield - has 1 year left, but a squad player now - ruthless but I probably wouldn't have given an extension
Gio doesn't have the luxury of time - but he shouldn't be saddled with loyalty to players who gerrard brought in. Should be allowed to cut them loose and reinvest.

Aribo, Kent and Morelos will need to be sold as they only have 1 year left.

The rebuild begins. I love Kent but he’s not clinical enough for the style we play. We need goalscorers in his position.
If any of those 3 don’t sign a new contract in the coming weeks then we have to cash in. It’s one thing losing Goldson on a free but these guys are potentially 8 figure assets.

I’m sure Gio will know who he wants to keep and who he’ll try and move on. I predict a fairly large turnover of players this summer.

As long as we buy players to start and no more projects or squad fillers. 6-8 players in with the same out with a budget of £10m plus % of player sales.

Aribo, Kent and Morelos will need to be sold as they only have 1 year left.

The rebuild begins. I love Kent but he’s not clinical enough for the style we play. We need goalscorers in his position.
Kents got 20 assists this season

Bye bye Kent and Morelos. If we can get £25m for Bassey then him too. I say try to get Aribo to extend in search of the player from earlier in the season. Then look to replace a few others with the proceeds.

Out
Mcgregor
Barisic
Aribo
Goldson
Katic
Itten
Ramsey
Diallo
Hastie
Middleton

In
Souttar
New LWB
New GK
New striker
New wide right
New number 10

We'll also hopefully see a return of Helander, Morelos, Hagi

Out
Mcgregor
Barisic
Aribo
Goldson
Katic
Itten
Ramsey
Diallo
Hastie
Middleton

In
Souttar
New LWB
New GK
New striker
New wide right
New number 10

We'll also hopefully see a return of Helander, Morelos, Hagi

Where does Helander fit in? Bassey has to be first choice centre half as either the left of a back 3 or the left sided centre half of a back 4. Can we justify keeping Helander for the squad? Would he be happy with a squad role?

Kent for the money we paid and the wages he's on doesn't give us nearly enough on a consistent basis.

Not sure I'd be up for giving him more money TBH.

If you watch back the Dortmund games Kent and Morelos were different levels to the rest.

Quick wingers will always struggle against the packed 10 man defences of the SPFL but you need that quality for the bigger games.

McGregor, Goldson, Balogun, Simpson, Barasic, Kamara, Aribo, Davis, Kent, Itten, Ramsey and Diallo all could leave this window quite easily. Likes of Firth and Katic probably moved on permanently.

Should that happen we would have a decent pot for transfers in and wages freed up surely.

Twist, regardless of last night I think there is a buzz at the club and we have a god few things to be positive enough.

Mainly young players, if we can balance it by bringing in quality starting 11 players and bleed them in with youth and other squad players. It's could be joyous. There's a part of me thinking could possibly have a golden generation of 3 or 4 players come through at once. If so, it needs to be capitalised.

We absolutely have to rebuild now we can't go with this squad again for another season.

Whatever we, as fans, want this team is at the end of its life and will be be torn apart. We will see players move on that we are happy to see out the door, we will see others whom we, as fans, might deem as 'essential keeps' go as well unfortunately. In effect we will lose some we don't want to lose and will be left with some players we don't think can cut it. That's football life. So I'm not going to produce a list of 'keepers' and 'goers'. We will not get everything we want so its pointless.

I'm not afraid of the changes coming. We can all see a major refresh is needed and we should welcome it. I worry we will lose some real assets but the other side of that particular coin is that the real assets are the ones that bring in the money for the Manager to do his stuff. Time to see if we really can make that model work and to let GvB flex some muscle in the transfer market.

The Manager hasn't got everything right, not by any means, but I've found it refreshing to have a Manager who will make in game tactical changes and formation switches in an effort to get what he wants. I think that could be a clue to where he will go in the transfer market. We've not played Dutch 'total football' - we wish:) - but its clear GvB values players who are fit, tactical astute, flexible and comfortable on the ball. I expect to see more who fit that model brought in.

To be honest I’d be considering replacing Van Bronckhorst before most of the team

His decisions last night cost us
Behave, he's got us to a European final, if you asked anyone at the start of the season or especially after the first 2 games of the campaign, everyone would've laughed.

Cash in and begin the rebuild. Not fair to ask the manager go again with the same faces especially when you consider there's key players with 12 months left on their deal.

Get the money and reinvest.
The manager clearly doesn’t rate a fair number of the squad, yet has got a lot out of them in recent months.

The manager has earned the right to some serious backing and a chance to bring in what he feels he needs IMO.

i think we will sell a fair few, fresh faces will be a good thing i think. I think Gio and his backroom staff can attract good quality.

Sell one or two of Morelos, Aribo, Kamara, Kent
release Mcgregor, Davis

Rebuild
If Jack was reliable for most games I'd probably be happy enough to cash in on Kamara and release Davis.

However he's not, therefore I'd keep Davis for one more season to have while we settle in probably a new midfielder and advance McCann and Lowry with more game time too.

To be honest I’d be considering replacing Van Bronckhorst before most of the team

His decisions last night cost us

They didn't.

He got a couple of decisions wrong, but they weren't game changing. Kamara was lucky to last as long as he did. Aribo was garbage other than capitalising on a mistake by the Frankfurt defender. Arguable that Ramsey shouldn't have been brought on to take a penalty, but Trapp could have saved somebody else's spot kick.

What cost us was the lack of a proper striker who knows how to play against defences. Roofe fit enough to play the whole of extra time and there's a chance we win that because by that point Frankfurt were knackered. Too many players just didnt perform well on the night.

Its strange saying it after reaching a European final, but this squad of players run at Rangers is over, people out of contract this summer or next, people not good enough, people who's performances may have their stock at a high. We need a complete refresh with some key bodies kept on.
We will most likely be losing 3 leaders in McGregor, Davis and Goldson.

Guys like Ryan Jack will be useful to have around the squad but we cannot rely on him. Same goes for Helander and Roofe.

We are a side who will regularly play high 50's when it comes to number of games, we can't have central figures in the side who can play half of them or need to come off every game.

Kent has scored two goals in the league this season.

Jota and Abada have ten goals each. That’s been the difference for me. Their attacking players are chipping in with plenty of goals.

The way we play requires Kent to hit those numbers. I fucking love the boy but the fact is I don’t think he’s what we need. He simply doesn’t score enough goals and his finishing is the worst part of his game.
This has been the subject of a lot of passionate and confrontational debate on a WhatsApp group in on… I don’t think Kent does enough in terms of goals and assists. He’s got bags of talent and does a power of running off the ball.. I see all of that. Like you say, we need our forward players to be weighing in with double figures in goals though.

If we can get decent money for Kent and Aribo, let them go. If we can get a few million for Roofe then let him go because he is just fragile. I would happily get rid of Borna as well if we can.

We need need to building a team around Lowry.

They didn't.

He got a couple of decisions wrong, but they weren't game changing. Kamara was lucky to last as long as he did. Aribo was garbage other than capitalising on a mistake by the Frankfurt defender. Arguable that Ramsey shouldn't have been brought on to take a penalty, but Trapp could have saved somebody else's spot kick.

What cost us was the lack of a proper striker who knows how to play against defences. Roofe fit enough to play the whole of extra time and there's a chance we win that because by that point Frankfurt were knackered. Too many players just didnt perform well on the night.
I thought Kamara never really got a hold of that game last night. When you have Lundstram moving between midfield and defence then he is needed all game long though, and with Jack coming off after about an hour in any game (we did well to get the 75 minutes or so last night) then Kamara was unlikely to be taken off.

I was surprised not to see Roofe on earlier - maybe he really was that close to being ruled out that all he had in him was a few minutes and a penalty.

Macglaughline
Tavernier Helander Souttar ( Katic ) Bassey

Sell Barisic King. Goldson away on a free

Jack Lundstram Lowry Arfield Davis Aribo Hagi

Sell Kamara

Aribo Kent Roofe

Move on Sakala Wright and Itten. Alfie could push for a move and if he does we can’t block it again and have him sulking.

We need a keeper Left back Poacher and a pacey winger.

With a 10m budget if we have it this team can be shaken up and improved but who knows how much historic debt we are fighting

Back