Do women have the desire to succeed at football?

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
A couple of things have struck me in the games I’ve watched is, firstly, nearly all opportunities of a 50/50 challenge they shit out of it. They simply don’t want to get stuck in.

Also, in injury time or towards the end of games, rather than aggressively go after a goal they pass it around the back and genuinely don’t look that pissed off when they lose.

The will obviously want to win. But do they lack the inherent desire and need to win that men do?

Women can be just as competitive as men. Look at Serena Williams or Rachel Atherton.

Seen plenty of men back out of situations they don't want to be in.

I'm not competitive enough, or good enough, to compete in my chosen sport but I know the women at the top are as driven and ruthless as the men.

Women can be just as competitive as men. Look at Serena Williams or Rachel Atherton.

I'm not competitive enough, or good enough, to compete in my chosen sport but I know the women at the top are as driven and ruthless as the men.
Who is Rachel Atherton?

Annika Sörenstam in the golf was f@cking dynamite.

Any question you ask or analysis you perform about women's football relative to mens needs to take into consideration the fact there is only a tiny fraction of the numbers of women playing the game as compared to men.

And then even within that tiny fraction there are literally zero women footballers who have been exposed to the elite training, massive resources, cut throat professionalism, huge rewards on offer and massive level of competition that is available even at the level of men's football aged 14 to 20.

Making comparisons like the OP's is totally irrelevant and pointless. To be honest as far as i am concerned it smacks of ignorance, arrogance and probably misogyny. The football authorities in nearly every country actively shunned women from the game for decades, never mind looking at wider social attitudes. Asking questions like that without an awareness of the factors behind the answer is a bit pathetic for me.

What happened the other night was naivety, 3-0 up and defenders up trying to get goals. The manager should be criticised for not seeing the game out. But It also must be hard to find a woman manager who been there and done it all.

Why wouldn’t they?

Just because they don’t play the same way as men doesn’t mean they don’t want to succeed any less

I don't see why they wouldn't. Perhaps it's only natural that women play football in a different manner and with a different attitude. A whole different style - I don't think women's and men's football will ever really mix and if it does it'll be poor. However, I don't see why the woman's game can't keep growing.

It's great more and more are taking it up.

Any question you ask or analysis you perform about women's football relative to mens needs to take into consideration the fact there is only a tiny fraction of the numbers of women playing the game as compared to men.

And then even within that tiny fraction there are literally zero women footballers who have been exposed to the elite training, massive resources, cut throat professionalism, huge rewards on offer and massive level of competition that is available even at the level of men's football aged 14 to 20.

Making comparisons like the OP's is totally irrelevant and pointless. To be honest as far as i am concerned it smacks of ignorance, arrogance and probably misogyny. The football authorities in nearly every country actively shunned women from the game for decades, never mind looking at wider social attitudes. Asking questions like that without an awareness of the factors behind the answer is a bit pathetic for me.
Pretty harsh

People judge by the standards they are familiar with

I agree on your base sentiment but judgement is made while walking in the shoes you own this brings inaccurate analysis that only time and education/ exposure will correct

Think maybe the US woman’s football team is not lacking the desire to succeed. Don’t really care for this current crop but you have to hand it to them.

Women over here are either proper athletes or just recreational players. The top clubs at youth level here have very good players but also filled with winners and athletes. They run NFL combine-esque tryouts as young as u7 and they have around 60 of the best kids in the area for about 3 or 4 spots. You also need money to be able to play. Pay to play as is most sports in the US.

Some of them are very competitive. My mate is a coach in women’s football and a few years ago he arranged some coaches to play his girls team and roped a few of us in to play.
Early in the game some lassie slid in and scudded my ankle, I gestured to the ref for a foul and the lassie told me to man up :)).
The same mate used to organise 5 a side games and would draft in some lassie players when we were short on numbers and some were decent technically although you could hardly go thundering into a 50/50 against them.

Women’s football will keep getting bigger though and there has been a massive increase in girls taking up the sport. I watched my 12 year old niece’s team from Ellon get a hammering of Hamilton accies under 13s a few weeks ago and the Hamilton girls definitely took it seriously and I lost count of the amount of goals they scored.

Back