Do you think we can play Tav and Paterson together?

Our centre mids are mostly there to cover for the full backs when they bomb forward. Any one thinking tav can’t cover for the right back, while being an attacking threat with late runs, hasn’t watched him play

Folk wanting to shift Tav out of his main position to accomodate a player whos played 16 games total for us is utter bonkers.

Tav was our most dangerous player last season and one of the main parts of a record breaking defence.

Scotland play 5 at the back to suit their two best players. If we went 5 at the back one of Tav/Patterson would be centre half while Balogun, Simpson, Edmundson sat out. Not going to happen.

He is now a full international and will be looking for a regular game. As next season progresses we will have to come up with a solution

Hes played 10mins of 1 international game and he was picked because of how Rangers are progressing him.

Theres nothing to say he wont take tavs place in team if he keeps outperforming him but Gerrard wont try shoehorn both of them in together.

The boy doesnt come across as someone who will demand anything from Gerrard right now, his career is going nicely.

Watching Tierney and Robertson for Scotland I am sure a lot of us are wondering if we could do the same.

Two superb players that if it worked would be superb for Rangers bringing pace, invention, skill and goals.

Then there is the counter argument do we have to tinker with a new formation, is it worth it? And as I sometimes think with the Scotland pair does it dilute what each of them brings in their regular position?

The other question is how many games will Paterson play, because like Billy Gilmour they are ready.

I am sure Steven Gerrard and the coaching staff are thinking of this very thing.

What say you?

No

Watching Tierney and Robertson for Scotland I am sure a lot of us are wondering if we could do the same.

Two superb players that if it worked would be superb for Rangers bringing pace, invention, skill and goals.

Then there is the counter argument do we have to tinker with a new formation, is it worth it? And as I sometimes think with the Scotland pair does it dilute what each of them brings in their regular position?

The other question is how many games will Paterson play, because like Billy Gilmour they are ready.

I am sure Steven Gerrard and the coaching staff are thinking of this very thing.

What say you?
Tierney and Robertson doesn't really work though does it.

This is like when people say "Tav is great going forward, but a bit shaky defensively, we should play him right midfield" as if that instantly solves the issue. It's nowhere near as simple as that. Similarly, shoehorning both into a system which isn't built for having two attacking right backs won't solve this issue either.

We have two excellent RB's in the squad - both of whom can play the position and system spectacularly - let them fight it out. If Tav loses out, so be it. And vice versa.

I just said on another thread that couldn't we play him one up from Tav,because I think with the link ups they'd be excellent both got bags of pace and it could prove fruitful for us,akin to the Tav/Candeias link up.

The Tav/Candieas link up? That got us far.

Patterson and Candeias are light years apart in both ability and attributes. It's the most basic and nonsensical argument to suggest we just move one out of position to prevent one having to sit on the bench.

Are we terrified that one of Tav/Patterson are going to fall out with us if they don't play or something? They're professional footballers, and as long as both know they keep the jersey if they perform best, when given the opportunity, all should be fine.

I think we will experiment in pre season with a formation that has both on the pitch

that’s what friendlies are for

I think we will experiment in pre season with a formation that has both on the pitch

that’s what friendlies are for
Yeah true right time to try it and if we do and it works you will get a few of the posters that are in doubt it wont happen telling you it was their idea.:))

Happens all the time.

What i find odd is that we lost to st J in the cup as our tactics were poor, we didnt change our style of play wasted too much time passing in circles going nowhere, so we need other options or systems. Some games we need 2 strikers in the middle for example if the wide players are not on their game. Not every fixture is the same a CL match if we get there is completely different from playing a fired up Aberdeen side that want a battle and are being helped out by one of our many many bent refs.

I dont see why its so outrageous to believe both should play seems the obvious answer to me and how we keep them happy at Ibrox, and as folk have said above the management have already said it might be an option.

There’s a weird obsession on here of viewing football as an 11 man game.

We saw both Tav and Patterson last season and they never played together. Both got game time. Man City don’t try play Walker and Cancelo together, or Chelsea with James and Azpilicueta etc etc.

It’s a 60 game season, they’ll both play.

I don't see them playing at the same time. Patterson needs to bide his time. If he isn't happy with it then he can discuss it with the manager and go out on loan for more game time.

The only way we could fit both into the same team would be in a 343. It could actually work to be honest but it's not a shape we have ever played under Gerrard so can't see it happening.

We saw both Tav and Patterson last season and they never played together. Both got game time. Man City don’t try play Walker and Cancelo together, or Chelsea with James and Azpilicueta etc etc.

Well said. Both will have a big part to play next season.

Theres also a weird obsession with sky sports and everything that goes on in the EPL. Pep said this Pep done that.

Makes no difference what City or Chelsea do they have the money to leave out superstars and or have them sitting doing sfa all year.

Bottom line we leave this lad sitting on the bench he might get pissed off with it he has to be playing football.

Theres also a weird obsession with sky sports and everything that goes on in the EPL. Pep said this Pep done that.

Makes no difference what City or Chelsea do they have the money to leave out superstars and or have them sitting doing sfa all year.

Bottom line we leave this lad sitting on the bench he might get pissed off with it he has to be playing football.

Bwahahaha. I hate the EPL. I hate modern football. Oooh he “might” get pissed off. He might not. Oh no, how are we going to fit Jack and Kamara in the same team? Is Hagi going to burst into tears if Roofe plays? What in the name of Christ will we do with Helander if Balogun is on form? And will somebody please think of Bassey?

It’s a squad game. They all know it. If he’s the sort to kick off at not playing every week then he’s wrong for this squad anyway.

Now we have a settled and good team I wouldn’t mind seeing tav on the right of a 3 man midfield. Maybe in pre season or a cup game

If we were to play similar to the line up you posted I'd have Tav at right back as his natural position and Patterson in the midfield.

Patterson is better than Tav in my opinion… it’ll be an interesting season
YgsB.gif

I think the most likely solution is that Patterson will be sold for many millions and Tavernier will remain captain and right back till he nears the end of his career. Patterson could be world class if things work out.

We don't play 3-5-2 after the 'failed experiment' at Fir Park.

I'd certainly try again but our coaching staff are superb and if they have abandoned 3-5-2 based on the make-up of squad then that's good enough for me.

Bwahahaha. I hate the EPL. I hate modern football. Oooh he “might” get pissed off. He might not. Oh no, how are we going to fit Jack and Kamara in the same team? Is Hagi going to burst into tears if Roofe plays? What in the name of Christ will we do with Helander if Balogun is on form? And will somebody please think of Bassey?

It’s a squad game. They all know it. If he’s the sort to kick off at not playing every week then he’s wrong for this squad anyway.
I think the problem here might be that you do not understand just how good a player this lad is and need to wait for the stats/numbers to improve and possibly even some coverage on sky or bt.

Asking Patterson to sit on the bench all season in scottish football (yeah ok 95 per cent of the season he plays league cup games id guess even then theres always a tough decision when it comes to a final) when so many of the Scotland squad hes more talented then are picking up crazy £££ playing in EPL seems a bit harsh.

We expect him to sit on the bench all season at Ibrox but are angry about not being the first pick for the national team.:confused:

I think the problem here might be that you do not understand just how good a player this lad is and need to wait for the stats/numbers to improve and possibly even some coverage on sky or bt.

Asking Patterson to sit on the bench all season in scottish football (yeah ok 95 per cent of the season he plays league cup games id guess even then theres always a tough decision when it comes to a final) when so many of the Scotland squad hes more talented then are picking up crazy £££ playing in EPL seems a bit harsh.

We expect him to sit on the bench all season at Ibrox but are angry about not being the first pick for the national team.:confused:

“Sit on the bench all season”. Yet more insane hyperbole. And you use it twice.

It won’t be all season will it? He will still play at least 20 games. Gerrard knows how to manage this. You do realise we didn’t change our formation last season and he still managed to break through, play quite a few games (regardless of a covid ban) and get a call up to the national team? There’s nothing to say he can’t be similarly successful this season, without us having to change everything.

Not even a little bit.

But we’ve got a really good problem with Patterson, I don’t think 20 ‘appearances’ is enough for him next season.

I just said on another thread that couldn't we play him one up from Tav,because I think with the link ups they'd be excellent both got bags of pace and it could prove fruitful for us,akin to the Tav/Candeias link up.

Tav's stats improved dramatically after Gerrard dropped Candeias and started playing Arfield narrow right behind the striker.

Candeias was ok in Pedro and Murty teams, but we've moved on and replaced him with far superior players.

Neither Tav nor Patterson are close to being as good in midfield as our current midfielders.
Arfield, Jack, Davis, Kamara and Aribo are all full internationalists in that position.

I think tavs attributes are perfect to play as a box to box midfielder if we are to give Patterson some more playing time. I think tav could do what ricksen did for us and I think it would be the same outcome that tav would be outstanding in midfield also.

Tierney and Robertson have not been a success together use one or the other it just shows the managers lack of bottle.
Patterson still has to improve to take Tavs place but I expect him to get more game time this season.

I think tavs attributes are perfect to play as a box to box midfielder if we are to give Patterson some more playing time. I think tav could do what ricksen did for us and I think it would be the same outcome that tav would be outstanding in midfield also.
Tav is a right back, the best right back in the country,
He is not a midfielder and won't be anywhere as good in that post as our actual midfielders in our squad

Tav is a right back, the best right back in the country,
He is not a midfielder and won't be anywhere as good in that post as our actual midfielders in our squad

Unbelievable the amount of folk who don't seem to get this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree and I am concerned that Patterson who in my opinon is a far better full back than Tav will get frustrated not playing, I am sure his agent will be watching the situation.

Even Nathan himself and his family don't think he's better than Tav at the moment.
He's happy enough to continue to learn and develop at Ibrox next season.

Nothing to be concerned about.

Only problem is that tav is the captain, if he wasn't I don't think it's to much if a problem to let Patterson come in every now and then for his development when we can afford too. Captain's generally don't get rested when fit. We will get away with it in the coming season but after that if Patterson's not starting then he will look elsewhere. Dealing with the situation is far from ideal . On one hand tavs been with us in the lower division and captained us to the league, it's obvious there's a sentimental attachment for us and Gerrard with his player. This is where I think sir Alex excelled. It doesn't matter what a player had done for him. He was ruthless, he would ship any player out if it benefited the club going forward. Patterson needs games this coming season so will be interesting to see what happens.

I’d be very surprised if playing both in the same team isn’t tried out in pre season games.
McAllister has hinted at this before as per Tpol_rfc post.

What say you?
was tried before with Hodson and Tav in a cup semi-final , it was ok for about 20 minutes then we played as if we had 2 right backs on the field

What say you?
Tierney and Robertson doesn't work.

:confused: There’s a weird obsession on here of viewing football as an 11 man game.

Huh

Back